PDA

View Full Version : Cataclysm of Flesh

GutterFace
2013-08-13, 01:11 PM
Soooo i have a boat load of questions about this class ability!
Let's start!

1)An affected creature cannot hold or use any item (including clothing, armor, magic items, and so on). It can ooze forward with gelatinous pseudopods at a speed of 10 feet. If it normally has movement modes other than land speed, those modes are reduced by 30 feet (with a speed of 0 or less meaning that the creature has lost that movement mode until it regains its normal form).

WOW, ok now it doesn't say the items are absorbed into the new from, so when they turn back to their normal form, do they have to don the armor, gather their goods? in essence are they naked?

2)In this "new" form you suck at attacking, moving and casting spells. it doesn't list anywhere in this blob from that you now suck at making Reflex saves...oversight? or is the new you-blob still agile?

Galvin
2013-08-13, 01:39 PM
1. I think that you would come back to normal shape with all you stuff on.

2. Oversight, probably.

GutterFace
2013-08-13, 01:49 PM
awwww i wanted transmogrified things to come back naked. and possibly afraid.

I hate oversights like this. that blob should have an effective Dex of 3.

curses....

Galvin
2013-08-13, 01:59 PM
awwww i wanted transmogrified things to come back naked. and possibly afraid.

I hate oversights like this. that blob should have an effective Dex of 3.

curses....

I'm not an expert on shapechanges, that's just how I would rule it.

GutterFace
2013-08-13, 02:01 PM
haha your reasoning is fair. i mean, good lord as soon as you can use this ability its 3 rounds at a clip and as many times a day as necessary. you can just keep them as an ooze all day.

if they get out of it, letting them appear back in their possessions, seems fair.

Nettlekid
2013-08-13, 02:04 PM
I also have a question: Unlike most abilities of Cataclysm Mage, the Cataclysm of Flesh doesn't say "once per day." Is is usable at will?

EDIT: Ah, semi-Swordsaged-sorta.

Galvin
2013-08-13, 02:10 PM
I also have a question: Unlike most abilities of Cataclysm Mage, the Cataclysm of Flesh doesn't say "once per day." Is is usable at will?

EDIT: Ah, semi-Swordsaged-sorta.

You would have to re-activate the ability. It lasts 1 round per Cataclysm Mage level, so you would have to go 3 rounds, then you would revert to normal form for 1 round, then you would repeat the process. The questions is if you can renew the ability while in ooze form, then you could theoretically be in ooze form indefinitely.

GutterFace
2013-08-13, 02:23 PM
You would have to re-activate the ability. It lasts 1 round per Cataclysm Mage level, so you would have to go 3 rounds, then you would revert to normal form for 1 round, then you would repeat the process. The questions is if you can renew the ability while in ooze form, then you could theoretically be in ooze form indefinitely.

if the continue to fail the Ref save which by that point most things should pass.
but if they fail. blob city.

going back and reading it, the no mention of a blob dex detriment make sense, since you can use it as an action, no daily limit, and its a Ref save, if you lowered their Dex it would be a crippling ability.

as a note, if someone blobs you, since you retain your Dex, just Tumble away.

Galvin
2013-08-13, 04:47 PM
If you nuked up the save DC you could keep them as blobs for a while.

GutterFace
2013-08-13, 04:57 PM
Crud one day i ll have to pop into this Prc for this ability and see its magic first hand

if i can pass the first level prophecy hahahaha

Nettlekid
2013-08-13, 05:31 PM
Crud one day i ll have to pop into this Prc for this ability and see its magic first hand

if i can pass the first level prophecy hahahaha

I think it's a hilarious PrC. For nine levels you get middling powers, barely anything, although 9/10 levels progress arcane spellcasting so at least there's that. You also have the chance to die like four times, and if not die, then get into horrible situations that could kill you. But oh my god, that capstone. Now, it's fun to get any Dragonmark you want, and I would love to see a Changeling ruin the houses by posing as head members. But with the consequence that ALL DRAGONS IN THE WORLD WANT YOU DEADER THAN DEAD. SO DEAD YOU CAN NEVER COME BACK. ALL OF THEM.

This thing has death as a class feature. Like five times.

On the plus side, it might be amusing as a weird character to combine with Risen Martyr.

GutterFace
2013-08-13, 05:42 PM
it works extra well if you play your character as an insane caster. doomsayer or charlatan. lol

Nettlekid
2013-08-13, 05:45 PM
it works extra well if you play your character as an insane caster. doomsayer or charlatan. lol

It might be interesting for a very powerful (and somehow durable, maybe a Lich) caster, who for some reason wanted to harvest dragons (perhaps for parts, items, or to raise as undead) to get to 10th level and force all dragons to come to him.

GutterFace
2013-08-13, 05:51 PM
good lord that's devious

Venger
2013-08-14, 03:40 PM
could anyone clarify the issue with range?

when you get it at lvl 3, the range is 25 ft + 5 ft/class lvl. that's 40 feet. the effect is a 20ft radius. wouldn't you always goop yourself? or am I misreading?

Nettlekid
2013-08-14, 03:51 PM
could anyone clarify the issue with range?

when you get it at lvl 3, the range is 25 ft + 5 ft/class lvl. that's 40 feet. the effect is a 20ft radius. wouldn't you always goop yourself? or am I misreading?

That means you could center it 25+5 ft/class level away, and then 20 ft from that point that you center it at, the effect takes hold. I think you're thinking of it the other way around, that you can only activate it within 20 ft and it affects everyone 25+5 ft/class level away. That's not how it works. Think of it like Fireball, but Close range rather than Long range.

Venger
2013-08-14, 04:02 PM
That means you could center it 25+5 ft/class level away, and then 20 ft from that point that you center it at, the effect takes hold. I think you're thinking of it the other way around, that you can only activate it within 20 ft and it affects everyone 25+5 ft/class level away. That's not how it works. Think of it like Fireball, but Close range rather than Long range.

no, I"m thinking of it the first way. a 20 foot radius means that it is a circle with a diameter of 40 feet, meaning it covers my whole range of 40 feet.

Nettlekid
2013-08-14, 04:17 PM
no, I"m thinking of it the first way. a 20 foot radius means that it is a circle with a diameter of 40 feet, meaning it covers my whole range of 40 feet.

I don't think I see what you mean. Yeah, it's got a diameter of 40 feet, but you center the effect 25+5 ft/level from you. So it reaches toward you by 20 ft, but also away from you by 20 ft (you've only got the radius between you and it, not the whole diameter, or else the targeted spot that you're creating the effect at would be on its circumference rather than its center). Sure, if you create it closer than 20 ft, you'd get caught in it, but you can create it at least 25 feet away, 40 by the time you get the ability. The center of the circle is 40 feet away, the effect has a radius of 20 ft, so it makes a circle with a 20 ft radius 40 feet away from you, meaning there is 20 feet between your position and the edge of the area of effect.

I don't see the problem?

Big Fau
2013-08-14, 09:43 PM
I think it's a hilarious PrC. For nine levels you get middling powers, barely anything, although 9/10 levels progress arcane spellcasting so at least there's that. You also have the chance to die like four times, and if not die, then get into horrible situations that could kill you. But oh my god, that capstone. Now, it's fun to get any Dragonmark you want, and I would love to see a Changeling ruin the houses by posing as head members. But with the consequence that ALL DRAGONS IN THE WORLD WANT YOU DEADER THAN DEAD. SO DEAD YOU CAN NEVER COME BACK. ALL OF THEM.

This thing has death as a class feature. Like five times.

I know, right? If only it was actually worth all the hell you had to put up with...

jindra34
2013-08-14, 09:49 PM
I don't think I see what you mean. Yeah, it's got a diameter of 40 feet, but you center the effect 25+5 ft/level from you. So it reaches toward you by 20 ft, but also away from you by 20 ft (you've only got the radius between you and it, not the whole diameter, or else the targeted spot that you're creating the effect at would be on its circumference rather than its center). Sure, if you create it closer than 20 ft, you'd get caught in it, but you can create it at least 25 feet away, 40 by the time you get the ability. The center of the circle is 40 feet away, the effect has a radius of 20 ft, so it makes a circle with a 20 ft radius 40 feet away from you, meaning there is 20 feet between your position and the edge of the area of effect.

I don't see the problem?

Well there is one problem with your description. Namely 3.x's rule of not allowing things to go outside the original range. Meaning you get the overlap of range and placement.

Verditude
2013-08-14, 09:52 PM

I don't see the problem?

Maybe Venger is reading that the entire circumference of the circle has to be in the 25 ft + 5 ft/lvl range, not just the center? So at 3rd level, the closest you could put the center would be 20 feet from you if no part of the circumference is to go outside the range, and this would include you every time.

Edit: ninjas.

Nettlekid
2013-08-14, 09:53 PM
Well there is one problem with your description. Namely 3.x's rule of not allowing things to go outside the original range. Meaning you get the overlap of range and placement.

It doesn't? You, as a level 5 Wizard, can't shoot a Fireball out at 400+40*5=600 ft, and have the innermost part of the Fireball at 580 ft, and the outermost part at 620 ft? That's annoying. I thought that was a thing.

Well, it makes it troublesome, if all you can get is a semicircle with 20 ft radius, but you still aren't FORCED to catch yourself in your own effect.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I don't know where rules are to confirm or deny this, but it seems to oppose the purpose of the listed range to say "It can be anywhere within 25+5 ft/level, so long as it's within 5+5 ft/level actually."

Spuddles
2013-08-14, 10:06 PM

I don't see the problem?

It doesn't? You, as a level 5 Wizard, can't shoot a Fireball out at 400+40*5=600 ft, and have the innermost part of the Fireball at 580 ft, and the outermost part at 620 ft? That's annoying. I thought that was a thing.

Well, it makes it troublesome, if all you can get is a semicircle with 20 ft radius, but you still aren't FORCED to catch yourself in your own effect.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I don't know where rules are to confirm or deny this, but it seems to oppose the purpose of the listed range to say "It can be anywhere within 25+5 ft/level, so long as it's within 5+5 ft/level actually."

Range
A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin. If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted. Standard ranges include the following.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#range

The most notorious case is the Blizzard spell, which has a bigger area than range.

Nettlekid
2013-08-14, 10:26 PM
Range
A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin. If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted. Standard ranges include the following.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#range

The most notorious case is the Blizzard spell, which has a bigger area than range.

Huh, how disappointing and irritating. But okay, so part of the area of effect is wasted, but it doesn't mean that you're always caught in your own effect either.

Venger
2013-08-15, 12:03 AM

as mentioned with blizzard and quoted by the spell descriptions section, extra AoE beyond the range is wasted

Huh, how disappointing and irritating. But okay, so part of the area of effect is wasted, but it doesn't mean that you're always caught in your own effect either.
Even if you can cast it without clipping yourself, it's annoying that right at the level you get it, you can't use it to its full effect exactly.