PDA

View Full Version : The Iron Druid

chrisgray86
2013-08-13, 03:42 PM
Hey guys I am currently rereading the iron druid series and was wondering if anyone has an idea on an Iron druid type build.

Amphetryon
2013-08-13, 03:46 PM
Hey guys I am currently rereading the iron druid series and was wondering if anyone has an idea on an Iron druid type build.

There's a Dwarf Metal Druid variant available in one of the Dragon magazines. Unfortunately, I cannot name the issue number.

Palanan
2013-08-13, 04:34 PM
This is the Metal Master from Dragon #311, which is a variant druid. No racial requirement that I can see, although dwarves would certainly do well with it.

There's a touch of interesting philosophy in the description of the class; no idea if this could be applied to the Iron Druid concept, but could have some good RP potential.

RFLS
2013-08-13, 04:35 PM

Perhaps a description of the character-type in question, for those of us that haven't read the series?

Amphetryon
2013-08-13, 04:42 PM
This is the Metal Master from Dragon #311, which is a variant druid. No racial requirement that I can see, although dwarves would certainly do well with it.

There's a touch of interesting philosophy in the description of the class; no idea if this could be applied to the Iron Druid concept, but could have some good RP potential.

Thanks for clarifying; it's been quite a while since I saw that particular Class, though it obviously made something of an impression on me. :smallsmile:

Palanan
2013-08-13, 04:51 PM
No problem. It helps that I had that issue sitting right on my desk. :smalltongue:

And it's almost custom-made for dwarves, since the description repeatedly references the world belowground, and specifically calls out mines as a favorite haunt. It's an interesting variant: proficiency with metal weapons, all armors and all shields, combined with full druid spell progression and some metallic spontaneous casting. A dwarf could have serious fun with that.

:smallbiggrin:

Zeb
2013-08-13, 08:51 PM
What makes him signature is having bound Iron to his aura, which makes him immune to most spells not cast by himself.

Shaped anti-magic field with extraordinary spell aim might be the best way to model this in 3.5

It is a good series and has some interesting ideas/fluff for druids that could be fun to integrate. I.E.
Physical connection to earth to cast spells,
Tattoos for different spell schools,
Set number of predetermined wildshapes,
No direct spell damage to living/natural things,
Actual uses for herb-lore,
Creation of charms for contingent/meta-magic spells .

Nightgaun7
2013-08-13, 09:54 PM
That reminds me that I need to finish this series. Unfortunately Atticus is both a bit dumb and rather a jerk, so I get bored of reading about him after a while.

In game terms, you might want to consider the Shapeshifter Druid variant, to represent his limited forms.