PDA

View Full Version : Toolbar diceroller.

DougalAr
2013-08-13, 05:12 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so forgive me if its not.

For those like me who like to use maptool just for the maps but hate to tab around to get to a dice roller, I've made a little app in C# that creates a toolbar at the top of the screen that will stay on top with a simple dice roller, It also has a Critical hit and Fumble roller in it as well for those that use it.

It can be found here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kldou8wfilac897/DNDToolbar.zip

Its a work in progress, any comments, feedback, suggestions, insults, and gratitudes are always welcome.

Version Releases
V.01
Initial Release

V.02
Bug fixes where the Dice rolled would never be maxed out
*Added Button functionality, either Pressing Enter or Control R will Roll the dice for you.

V.03
Multiple Die rolls added. hitting Control R will roll all 5 dice, OR you can hit Control and the number corresponding with the number its at, IE control 1 will roll the first one, control 2 will roll the second one, ect.
put in framework for timer to roll random encounter dice every so often.
coded to detect monitor size and place dice accordingly (still might be buggy).

V.04

Added Countdown Encounter Button, Configurable (does not save settings yet) by right clicking the button. Options are 5,10,15, and 30 minutes. At end of Countdown displays a message box with number rolled for encounter (Selected from 1d6,2d6,3d6 with the right click menu.)

Need testing from different Monitor sizes (mine is 1680 wide, I know it works with that but need feedback from other resolution settings and Video cards mines NVidia)

V.05 (simi final)

Latest version now up. countdown timer now saves preferences between application runs.

Fumbles with a Duration of slip,trip,stun ect now rolls duration and shows it at end of line.

Critical hit and Fumble tables moved to External CVS files so they can be edited to fit your play style. use a spreadsheet to edit them and save as comma delimited file.

Notes on Editing:

Files are set up to use as many results as you want. First column is for noting which die result it is. you must add more lines if you wish to add more results.
results go into the second column. If you want a result to have multiple die rolls associated with it you must put it on separate lines or leave the preceding result fields black (see current files for examples). If the Fumble has a duration effect put the MAX duration number in the 3rd column.

This now does everything that I want it to currently do. there won't be as many updates to it now as I will be starting my next project. I will keep checking here for Suggestions from people and try to implement them as I can.

To Do list

Make Fumble/crit file editor
And any other requests that may be requested of it.

Dougal

Vadskye
2013-08-14, 12:55 AM
This is an excellent idea! I hope you like constructive criticism. :smalltongue:

Since not everyone will use your personal critical hit table and fumble table, would it be possible for the program to read in a critical hit table described in a "config.ini" file in the same folder as your executable that would be possible for an end user to readily alter?

There's a lot of unused screen real estate when rolling simple "dice" tab, and it is often the case that you will want multiple dice expressions available - when dealing with a Fireball, for example, I want to be able to easily change the dice roller to roll 6d6 without losing my ability to quickly roll a d20. How easy would it be to add multiple separate dice expressions which could be toggled and rolled individually?

How easy would it be to install a global keyboard hook so that I could use a keyboard shorcut (say, control-alt-R) to roll whatever I have currently selected in the toolbar? I think that this would make a big difference in usability - moving the mouse all the way up to the top and clicking the wee little button takes time.

Also, your title for this thread is completely ambiguous. A more descriptive name would probably get this more attention.

DougalAr
2013-08-14, 06:13 AM
Constructive criticism is exactly what I want heh, Still in the learning phase on a lot of things with the programming and trying to increase my skill. Putting the tables in a ini file was on the plan, just wanted to get it out quickly right now.

I like your idea of the global key combination to roll the dice and will look into seeing what it takes to do do that. I agree completely with the "there is a lot of empty real-estate and will probably change that as well.

Thank you

Dougal.

And changed the title of the thread.

Carthax
2013-08-14, 06:14 PM
I never thought about getting input from the GitP forums on my app! Darn you for having a good idea before me! :smallsmile:

I'll post mine in another thread at some point. Thanks for giving me the idea.

Peace!
Carthax (AKA William, just so's you know who's yelling at ya!) :smallbiggrin:

DougalAr
2013-08-14, 06:32 PM
lol, I know who you are. We really should work together on things =P

Dougal

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-08-14, 09:51 PM
...is it bad that, as a graphic designer, my first thought was "Damn. This needs to be cleaned up with visuals. To PHOTOSHOP!"?

'cause that was totally my first thought. :smalltongue:

Other than that it's a nice little thing, although I question the decision to have it default to Criticals, as I think most people will much prefer the dice rolling function (that, and many groups--I might even say the vast majority--don't actually use critical/fumble tables).

I'd also consider writing code that will allow "XdY" notations in the critical/fumble tables to be recognized and rolled as part of the display. If I have a dice rolling app that tells me the critical hit bonus is "stunned for 1d4 rounds," I'd much rather have it say "stunned for 3 [1d4] rounds."

DougalAr
2013-08-15, 06:01 AM
heh, I agree that it really needs to be visually cleaned up, graphics designer I am not. Am planning on trying to do something in that realm tho. Noted about the default setting for the choices, will change it to dice roller default in the next build. it started out as a critical hit roller for me with the dice roller added as an afterthought. The last bit will be a bit more difficult to try to figure out and that might take me a while I think, Might be easier to do once I move the table to an external file and have a "dice value" setting for each result.

Thanks for your Feedback.

Dougal.

DougalAr
2013-08-17, 06:33 PM
Ver .03 now up.

DougalAr
2013-08-20, 10:08 PM
Version .04 is now up

DougalAr
2013-08-21, 02:52 PM
Version .05 up, Major changes in this one.

DougalAr
2013-08-23, 03:49 PM
hate how fast these posts scroll off the screen. Fixed version up, fixed a bug where all the dice was using the first number for the count.