PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions on Mundane Equipment

MilesTiden
2013-08-13, 06:37 PM
I have a couple questions about masterwork items and mundane equipment. For one, can an item that already provides some sort of skill bonus (such as a magnifying glass) be made a masterwork tool of X by increasing the price by 50? The current idea I have is to make a pair of Sundark Goggles that are also a Masterwork Tool of Search for 60 GP. If I did this, would it still add that 1 lb, even though Sundark Goggle have weight --? Could I make a pair of Silent Shoes or a Black Bodysuit (both from the Arms and Equipment Guide) masterwork, for an extra +2 circumstance bonus to Move Silently and Hide, respectively? Speaking of those, would that sort of specific clothing be reduced in weight for a Small character? I know the 3.5 PH notes all the listed clothing sets as weighing 1/4 for small characters, but would that apply for individual articles of clothing in the A&EG? Would magic items, such as cloaks or helmets, benefit from this weight reduction?

Sorry for the barrage of poorly worded questions, but I'm just trying to figure this out for a character for which this matters. When you have a character who has 9.5 lbs of available carrying capacity, every pound matters. :smalltongue:

Lateral
2013-08-13, 06:47 PM
I have a couple questions about masterwork items and mundane equipment. For one, can an item that already provides some sort of skill bonus (such as a magnifying glass) be made a masterwork tool of X by increasing the price by 50?
A 'masterwork tool' is an entirely separate item than the magnifying glass rather than a bonus that can be applied to another item, so no. Besides, the bonuses don't stack.

The current idea I have is to make a pair of Sundark Goggles that are also a Masterwork Tool of Search for 60 GP. If I did this, would it still add that 1 lb, even though Sundark Goggle have weight --?
By the rules, you can't do that. I mean, I'd allow it if I were DMing, but the whole 'masterwork tool' thing is a completely separate item.

Could I make a pair of Silent Shoes or a Black Bodysuit (both from the Arms and Equipment Guide) masterwork, for an extra +2 circumstance bonus to Move Silently and Hide, respectively?
Again, no, though it'd be a totally reasonable thing for a DM to allow.

Deophaun
2013-08-13, 07:25 PM
A 'masterwork tool' is an entirely separate item than the magnifying glass rather than a bonus that can be applied to another item, so no. Besides, the bonuses don't stack.
I believe the magnifying glass already is a masterwork tool, which is why it provides the +2 bonus in the first place.

Lateral
2013-08-13, 07:27 PM
I believe the magnifying glass already is a masterwork tool, which is why it provides the +2 bonus in the first place.
Well, that's the idea, anyway. The generic 'masterwork tool' is supposed to model objects like masterwork thieves' tools or that magnifying glass, but for other skills.

Deophaun
2013-08-13, 07:34 PM
Well, that's the idea, anyway. The generic 'masterwork tool' is supposed to model objects like masterwork thieves' tools or that magnifying glass, but for other skills items.
Small difference, but important. The item comes first. The skills it applies to (if any) come later, determined by the DM.

Lateral
2013-08-13, 07:42 PM
Small difference, but important. The item comes first. The skills it applies to (if any) come later, determined by the DM.
...They're the same thing. The point of having that generic 'masterwork tool' is so you have a way to model items that give you the +2 competence bonus to other skills. Which is exactly what I said in that previous post.

Deophaun
2013-08-13, 07:57 PM
...They're the same thing. The point of having that generic 'masterwork tool' is so you have a way to model items that give you the +2 competence bonus to other skills. Which is exactly what I said in that previous post.
Not really. One gets you a masterwork item of UMD: +2 to all UMD checks. The other gets you a masterwork wand holder: +2 to UMD checks to activate the wand it is attached to.

Lateral
2013-08-13, 08:37 PM
Not really. One gets you a masterwork item of UMD: +2 to all UMD checks. The other gets you a masterwork wand holder: +2 to UMD checks to activate the wand it is attached to.
Ah, I see.

...Except that we're talking about the first, so the original wording was correct anyway. Besides, it's a silly semantic difference.