PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Campaign

AuraTwilight
2013-08-13, 08:59 PM
So: I'm not new to GMing, I'm not new to playing. However, I've had a large lull in my GMing days, and ever since I picked back up I've run pre-made modules while getting my groove back. My question to you all is:

How would one construct a good campaign? I feel like my skills as a game master are adequate in all other areas, but I worry about perhaps relying too much on random encounters, judging challenges too highly or weakly, and things of that nature.

Mr. Mason
2013-08-14, 02:28 AM
If that's all your lacking, consider yourself blessed! That's nothing that can't be overcome with a little planning.

For storyline problems, The Giant has a series of articles about that. Look at the sidebar under "Gaming", within that frame, click on "Looking for the Gaming Articles" and you'll be there.

For all mechanical issues, Google is your friend! If you can't find it there, a specific thread exists here for simple, usually close-ended, questions. Someone on this sight is bound to not only know the answer, but seven different ways to improve upon it!

After creating my world, I would focus on the main campaign. After that, I would look for natural breaks in the quest. For instance, the party -- having just located the scroll -- delivers it to the local scholar for translation; he promptly informs them that it will be at least a five day wait, too short for them to travel to another town, too long for them to sit and do nothing. Drop a few different hooks and see what they bite on. Maybe they hear a rumor about an illegal prostitution ring that needs to be taken down, maybe the local alchemist needs some herbs, maybe some rumors float around about a nearby man who used to tutor the greatest adventurers ever conceived, and maybe that man is still in the business of offering tips (read: Experience) to those who show promise. (read: Complete task) If you do it this way, it is a logical break -- they might not even notice it -- but it adds some variation.

I would say maybe one sidequest to one mainquest is a good balance for me, as long as they are well incorporated. Some people may want less; some people may want more.

If you notice a challenge is too easy, don't hesitate to have reinforcements show up -- inversely, don't be afraid to have your enemies run in terror, or sometimes a Good Samaritan show up. (who can be used later.)

I think that with your specific concerns, overplanning is the way to go; I would plan the base fight, what happens if the base fight is too easy, and what happens if the base fight is too hard. This sounds hard, but any fight that has minion type characters is easily adjusted -- just add more. And have a "Good Samaritan" in reserve. You shouldn't do this all the time -- players will catch on -- but every now and then just makes battles seem more dynamic. As another on-the-fly battlefield modifier, you could have traps or a caster with buffs and illusions. (changing the illusions all the time should make it difficult for the PCs to keep up, and it's hard to fight invisible, haste-y foes) Again, as soon as I've used one idea, I would make another.

I hope this helps!

AuraTwilight
2013-08-14, 04:21 AM
It does, thank you. Of course, if anyone else wants to throw in their 2 cents I'd be more than happy to hear that too!

Immabozo
2013-08-14, 04:25 AM
I have a pretty general rule that is pretty simple and easy. Whatever the story, is it exciting to write? If it is exciting to write and read, it'll be exciting to hear and play.

buttcyst
2013-08-14, 12:35 PM
I found that creating a "fish bowl" type campaign is particularly useful for ongoing games. Mostly because you can keep expanding it quickly and easily as tasks are completed and questions come up, which are usually answered on the fly without thought or forewarning (to yourself). It will help organize the main quest, any side quests, and provide for a multitude of "random" encounters.

ArcturusV
2013-08-14, 04:50 PM
Well, one thing I found to help with that problem, not quite knowing what a party can take, dish out, and otherwise handle, is to build my campaign world about 180 degrees away from the "standard" that I often see adventure modules and other people's games run.

What I mean is, most campaigns are based around Monsters. Lone (Or pack) based critters. The problem with Monsters is that they usually have unusual abilities that, if you aren't feeling confident with and can't judge appropriately will often have wonky effects on encounters. Particularly some of the Monster Manual monsters, off the shelf, have a lot of variance in just how their Qualities, Abilities, etc, all come into play in an encounter. It's kinda daunting.

So when I come back and need to do a shakedown cruise as a DM I go for a very different sort of world. Where about 99% of the enemies the players will face are various humanoids and animals. Not only does it cut down on the various odd Specials that can screw up your carefully plotted difficulty, it also provides a really easy way to adjust things on the fly or ramp up if needed.

e.g.: Encounter 1 is against 6 Goblin Skirmishers with small javelins and short swords.

Okay, they were too easy, and the party just stomped them flat without using up significant resources. Give the next Encounter with Goblins some leather armor and crossbows instead of javelins. Still too easy? Okay, now give the next Goblin encounter riding dogs and make them into mounted skirmishers.

So it's easy to adjust plans between battles. And it has a sort of logical progression that players are less likely to pick up on. Well, they might. But it won't be as blatantly obvious as if your monster suddenly stops using his special abilities, or has his resistances stripped, or suddenly is immune to a favorite tactic. It's all just a matter of switching out equipment to suit the challenges you want to bring. Maybe adding an extra HD or class level if you're feeling spunky.

This also allows you to use "monsters" as real monsters. Things that are unknowable, rare, and will put some fear into players. When they have a campaign where they fought against Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Gnolls, and Gobbos, the sudden encounter with Ice Mephits stands out a lot more, is more memorable, and can provide a greater challenge than it should otherwise as they have to adapt on the fly to new tactics. What works against a Human warband isn't likely to work against a Young White Dragon, after all.