PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card II: Wrath of Karn

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Fable Wright
2013-11-12, 05:38 PM
There have been eidolons in magic, but they used the Bestow mechanic. However, I thought it fit better like this, even if it is a little different.

You're forgetting the original Ravnica Eidolons, which don't use Bestow either.

Eternis
2013-11-13, 05:07 AM
Hell Follows With Him 5RR (Working title)
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Creature an opponent controls
Whenever enchanted creature would be dealt damage from a source, that source deals double that damage instead.
When enchanted creature would die, instead, ~ becomes a copy of that creature, exile that creature, and put 3 +1/+1 counters on ~. ~ becomes a Red Devil in addition to it's other types.
When ~ is put into your graveyard from play, if a white creature is in play, you may return ~ to play enchanting a white creature. Otherwise, shuffle it into your library.

Grimsage Matt
2013-11-14, 12:46 PM
Deep Troll Primal Elder lost defender, and it's upkeep and transform got a bit of a rewrite.

To go from land to creature takes (2+# of Age Counters)GGRR, so a minimum of 6, and you have an 8/8 hexproof that has no other abilities beyond a upkeep cost of 1.

As it gains Age counters, which requires it to be a land, the transform and upkeep costs increase. It would take 6 turns before the transform cost equals it's hand cast cost, and it would be a 26/26 with a bunch of brutal abilities that get shared with other green and red creatures. The right Green creatures with some artifacts and enchantments could do the same on single creatures, so should be my most balanced submission.

~Corvus~
2013-11-14, 01:02 PM
Deep Troll Primal Elder lost defender, and it's upkeep and transform got a bit of a rewrite.

To go from land to creature takes (2+# of Age Counters)GGRR, so a minimum of 6, and you have an 8/8 hexproof that has no other abilities beyond a upkeep cost of 1.

As it gains Age counters, which requires it to be a land, the transform and upkeep costs increase. It would take 6 turns before the transform cost equals it's hand cast cost, and it would be a 26/26 with a bunch of brutal abilities that get shared with other green and red creatures. The right Green creatures with some artifacts and enchantments could do the same on single creatures, so should be my most balanced submission.

...we submit cards in the format of cards...

Grimsage Matt
2013-11-14, 01:08 PM
It was more of a changelog. Wanted some opinions on if the changes made it a bit more balanced. I'll repost it if that's what I'm supposed to do...

Deep Troll Primal Elder 8GGRR
Legendary Creature- Troll Shaman- MR
Hexproof
Upkeep X; At the beginning of each of the Controllers upkeep phases, you may pay X. If not, transform Deep Troll Primal Elder. X is 1 plus the number of Age Counters on Deep Troll Primal Elder.
All Green Creatures you control gain +1/+1 for each Age counter on Deep Troll Primal Elder and haste
All Red Creatures you control gain +1/+1 each Age counter on Deep Troll Primal Elder and trample
All creatures you control that are both red and green gain +1/+1 for each Age counter on Deep Troll Primal Elder, First Strike and Reach
All Green and Red spells cost GG/RR less to cast
"The older a Deep Troll gets, the more potent the spells it weaves awake."
8/8
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Slumbering Deep Troll Primal Elder
Legendary Land- MR
Shroud
During your second main phase, you may pay XGGRR. If you do, Transform Slumbering Deep Troll Primal Elder. X is equal to 2 plus the number of Age Counters on Slumbering Deep Troll Primal Elder
T- Add G or R for each Age counter on Slumbering Deep Troll Primal Elder
Each Upkeep place 1 Age Counter on Slumbering Deep Troll Primal Elder
"Even asleep, Primal Elders Expert great power."

Lea Plath
2013-11-15, 08:19 AM
AEther Engine - 4
Artifact
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a charge counter on AEther Engine.
Tap: Put a charge counter on AEther Engine.
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, add 1 to your mana pool for each charge counter on AEther Engine
When AEther Engine would be destroyed, instead, transform it
/////////////////////////////////
Remnants of AEther
Enchantment
Remove a charge counter from Remnants of AEther: Add 1 to your mana pool.
When Remnants of AEther has no charge counters on it, sacrifice it.

I'm not happy with the flavor on this really. The idea was this machine would build up power. When it was destroyed, it would releases it power into the air, where it could be tapped into in the short term, but you wouldn't have access to it long term.

EDIT: It was originally meant to be an artifact that turned into an enchantment.

~Corvus~
2013-11-15, 09:43 AM
I'm not happy with the flavor on this really. The idea was this machine would build up power. When it was destroyed, it would releases it power into the air, where it could be tapped into in the short term, but you wouldn't have access to it long term.

You could make the Engine an Artifact, obviously. Perhaps have it cost 2XX, and it comes into play with X number of charge counters on it. This way, it costs 4 mana and has a charge counter on it, or costs 2 and is at worst a dead 2-drop enchant.

It can turn into an enchantment when it dies, obviously. Simple, easy, and elegant. I like it :smallsmile:

You could add a clause where whenever you cast a spell, you can pay an extra {1}, giving the Engine another charge counter.

Saposhiente
2013-11-15, 12:38 PM
Stuff
Check your grammar. Also, static abilties (such as ones that affect all of your creatures while your card is in play, but go away when your card is gone) use "have", not "gain".

The_Tentacle
2013-11-19, 05:29 PM
Judging anytime soon?

~Corvus~
2013-11-19, 05:44 PM
Judging anytime soon?

since it doesn't seem like that's gunna happen at this moment, Tentacle, which one should I enter for serious? I kinda like the vampire topiary plant =3

Fable Wright
2013-11-19, 06:57 PM
To be blunt, this costs too much and comes down on the wrong side. Paying 12 mana for an 8/8 haste first strike trample is jsut overcosted for its impact, and when you cast it, you're going to overrun the opponent on that turn with the effects, not let it transform. A land with "As~ enters the battlefield, tap X Mountains and X Forests you control until ~ leaves the battlefield" and an effect that turns it into a creature later after giving passive buffs for a few turns would be a more interesting way to design the card.

Also, the card becomes easier to flip back as time goes on, as the age counters and the amount of mana the land taps for increase at the same rate.

The flavor of this is... disturbing, to say the least. A cleric is infused with holy power, and then is turned into an artifact... without dying. Nightmare fuel stuff. Oh, and the creatures equipped turn into... Angels?!? Makes little sense.

Aside from the fluff, mechanically, I think this might still be too strong. One way to do it might be "If ~ would die during the combat phase, instead..." to give it more of a Martyr flavor, less nightmare fuel, and better balance on the whole.

Solid design and interesting enough. I just have issues with the fact that there are no drawbacks other than it being a nonbasic plains. I mean, it's still a plains, meaning you can easily fetch them, even in multiples. Unless you felt that White Weenies really needed a boost...

Regardless, this would be a fine entry if not for the Plains subtype, or if it had some drawback.

Not much to say here, aside from noting a nearly broken synergy with Magmaw. Phyrexian/Ashnod's altar optional. Good flavor, but it's the sort of thing that's been done before. See Parasitic Implant.

Simple, clean, effective. Not getting why the card has to be black mechanically, but it fits well enough that I can assume it could work with the flavor of the set.

Simple enough design, but why not just put +1/+1 counters on the Enchantment? Also, not sure if it's meant to do this, but you tap it on your turn, assign it as a blocker, and then tap it again before combat damage (or just don't assign it as a blocker) and you get 2 counters per turn. Not sure if intended or overpowered, though.

Simple, solid, resonant. Good job.

Interesting card, assuming it worked like you want it to. (Not sure if lands can have costs as it indicates; I think you'd have to add a Lotus Vale clause.) My only complaint is that the transformed side just isn't good or is too good, depending. A 2/2 for 0 with evasion? Amazing in the right WW deck. Especially when you can turn it into a land to dodge removal or when you actually need mana. And it doubles as a way to use lategame lands. On the other side, a less aggressive deck wanting to turn it into a land... would not work, barring maybe a Land Destruction deck.

Not sure why anyone's building a monument to a guy who fights worse than a random Glory Seeker (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=222736) that managed to do be a peacekeeper for one turn, but I digress. Mechanically, there's nothing wrong with it, except maybe that it costs too much. And that there doesn't really seem to be a place for this in any archetype. A deck that wants to fog isn't going to use the Anthem, and a deck that needs the Anthem isn't going to need to fog or want to pay 4 for a Fog that turns on creature removal.

Simple, clean and effective. My problem is that I don't get why he stays an artifact after being Shattered. It seems like letting the return ability and buff work from graveyard, perhaps with a clause to exile it if it would be put into the graveyard from anywhere but the battlefield, would fit much better.

This costs far too much, considering that it needs to survive combat damage to flip. Compare Bushi Tenderfoot (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=78600). While the tenderfoot has to kill the creature, it doesn't cost anything to flip him, and given that they both need to survive combat, it seems an apt comparison. Now pay attention to the mana costs. One costs way, way too much.

No.

While there's nothing wrong with the design, it's a bit too wordy and expensive. If I saw this in a pack, I would look at the mana cost, my eyes would glaze over the text, and I'd pick a decent common over it. It's a nice idea, but color hate on an expensive enchantment that has no immediate effect in gameplay just isn't that good.

I get the flavor, and I really like it, but it feels like it's missing something. It doesn't destroy itself. It just has a flip side that's just kind of... there, which does nothing most of the time. Adding in some kind of overdrive flavor, or power surge (Sacrifice it to add mana equal to counters?) would be better. Also, why is it getting two counters per turn? That much acceleration is a bit excessive and doesn't make sense since mana burn left.

Blue Ghost, with Pharoah's Keeper. It is a creature, has a secondary effect that doesn't feel shoehorned in, and hints at an interesting bit of flavor. Congradulations!

The_Tentacle
2013-11-19, 07:27 PM
This costs far too much, considering that it needs to survive combat damage to flip. Compare Bushi Tenderfoot (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=78600). While the tenderfoot has to kill the creature, it doesn't cost anything to flip him, and given that they both need to survive combat, it seems an apt comparison. Now pay attention to the mana costs. One costs way, way too much.

Yeah, about 2 days ago I had a bit of an epiphany as to what I should have done:

Ancient Eidolon {1U}
Enchantment Creature - Spirit (R)
Bestow 3UU (You may cast this creature for its bestow cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield enchanting target creature.)
You control enchanted creature.
Whenever ~ or the creature ~ is enchanting blocks or is blocked by another creature, you may remove ~ from combat and attach it to that creature.
If the creature ~ is enchanting leaves the battlefield, return ~ to the battlefield tapped.
0/1
"You should never have let down your mind shield, you doddering old enchanter!"

But yeah. I was stupid. Ah, well, I'll do better next time.

But anyways, congratz to Blue Ghost, good job!

Blue Ghost
2013-11-19, 07:35 PM
Yay! I has a happy because I wons! :smallbiggrin:

Next contest:

Design a noncreature card with converted mana cost 6 or higher. Go!

Saposhiente
2013-11-19, 09:37 PM
Interesting card, assuming it worked like you want it to. (Not sure if lands can have costs as it indicates; I think you'd have to add a Lotus Vale clause.) My only complaint is that the transformed side just isn't good or is too good, depending. A 2/2 for 0 with evasion? Amazing in the right WW deck. Especially when you can turn it into a land to dodge removal or when you actually need mana. And it doubles as a way to use lategame lands. On the other side, a less aggressive deck wanting to turn it into a land... would not work, barring maybe a Land Destruction deck.

Is it really that amazing in WW? Playing the transformed side is like playing Memnite and a zero cost aura saying: target creature gets +1/+1 and has reverse-intimidate (much worse than intimidate), comparable to White Scarab (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2716) or Predator's Gambit (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=271122), both of which are pretty lackluster. Furthermore, you have to have land to spare to actually play it, and spare land is not something aggro decks want. As a WW with buff-everyone spells I'd rather just have two Memnites. The removal dodging is useful, but if you want it to be a creature again you have to spend two cards, one of which is a land.
The transform from creature to land ability isn't useless to non-aggressive decks because it means that you didn't use up your land play. If you cast it as a creature, then immediately transform it, it's Chrome Mox (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=47446) with additional flexibility at the cost of an additional card. Again, not great, but it's a versatile card, none of the individual possible uses should be cost-efficient.

Binks
2013-11-19, 09:39 PM
Ceaseless Hunger - 10
Sorcery - Eldrazi UC
Put a 10/10 Eldrazi creature token on the battlefield with Annihilator 2 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices two permanents.).
"The Eldrazi's hunger cannot be sated, cannot be satisfied, cannot be stopped."

Grimsage Matt
2013-11-19, 09:58 PM
Warbanner of the Goblin Warboss- 5RR
Legendary Artifact- R
Goblins gain Haste, Doublestrike, Trample and Battle Cry.
Goblins not in play have Convoke
Goblins have Multikicker R; When summoned, place a 1/1 red goblin creature token into play for each time it was kicked
"From time to time a great Warboss emerges from the goblins. Under their banner they transform from snivelling wretches into an army that can shake the very foundations of the world."

Saposhiente
2013-11-19, 10:21 PM
Chromatic Vortex 2WUBRG
Enchantment MR
Spells you cast cost WUBRG less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay. (For example, if you cast a spell with mana cost
1UBG, it costs 1 to cast.)

Ceaseless Hunger - 10
Sorcery - Eldrazi UC
Put a 10/10 Eldrazi creature token on the battlefield with Annihilator 2 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices two permanents.).

Now that's hardly in the spirit of the contest, now is it?

HypoSoc
2013-11-19, 10:37 PM
Bionativity 8G
Instant - Rare
~ cost 1 less to cast for each creature you control.
Put eight 1/1 green saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Life begets life.

Shenanigans are intentional.

~Corvus~
2013-11-19, 11:41 PM
Design a noncreature card with converted mana cost 6 or higher. Go!

Mitotic Overabundance 5GGG
Sorcery-Arcane - R
Each players sacrifices all non-artifact creatures they control.
Splice onto Arcane - 5G

Saposhiente
2013-11-19, 11:55 PM
*Splice onto Arcane

~Corvus~
2013-11-20, 12:07 AM
*Splice onto Arcane

Fable Wright
2013-11-20, 12:23 AM
Mitotic Overabundance 5GGG
Sorcery-Arcane - R
Each players sacrifices all non-artifact creatures they control.
Splice onto Arcane - 5G

I am gagging at the color pie breakage here. Green does not get to destroy creatures. Green especially doesn't get to destroy all creatures. Green even more doesn't ignore Artifact Creatures. Even if it barely passes on the flavor... why would you ever do this, much less make it a potentially repeatable wrath.

Sethman27
2013-11-20, 12:27 AM
Clear the skies 4GG
Instant- Uncommon
~ deals 5 damage to all creatures with flying if a creature would be dealt damage that way it loses flying until end of turn

~Corvus~
2013-11-20, 02:21 AM
I am gagging at the color pie breakage here. Green does not get to destroy creatures. Green especially doesn't get to destroy all creatures. Green even more doesn't ignore Artifact Creatures. Even if it barely passes on the flavor... why would you ever do this, much less make it a potentially repeatable wrath.

Because its overabundant growth causing massive, body-wide apoptosis? Real stuff. Why else....because Pongify exists? Because Desert Twister Exists?

AgentPaper
2013-11-20, 02:31 AM
Because its overabundant growth causing massive, body-wide apoptosis? Real stuff. Why else....because Pongify exists? Because Desert Twister Exists?

Desert Twister is an old card that doesn't fit modern color theory. Pongify was in a set specifically meant to twist the color pie.

The flavor is already a stretch, even for those who know about apoptosis (which is a very small niche), and even if it did fit perfectly, the mechanics still need to fit into the color pie. Green simply does not do creature destruction outside of something like Beast Within or Plummet.

~Corvus~
2013-11-20, 02:59 AM
Desert Twister is an old card that doesn't fit modern color theory. Pongify was in a set specifically meant to twist the color pie.

The flavor is already a stretch, even for those who know about apoptosis (which is a very small niche), and even if it did fit perfectly, the mechanics still need to fit into the color pie. Green simply does not do creature destruction outside of something like Beast Within or Plummet.

respect the color pie. Hrm.... mmkay, then.

Eternis
2013-11-20, 03:44 AM
Death from Below 6BBB
Sorcery (- Arcane for those who want more shenanigans :smallbiggrin:) R
For each creature card in your graveyard, target opponent sacrifices a creature, then put all creature cards from your graveyard into play.

Quick comment to Hyposoc:
A better ability for that spell would be "Convoke" rather than "Affinity for Creatures", as the flavour text implies that the "life" has an active role rather than a passive role in "begetting life". That, and convoke makes the spell potentially cost 0 mana! :smallbiggrin:

Beacon of Chaos
2013-11-20, 07:17 AM
Simple, clean and effective. My problem is that I don't get why he stays an artifact after being Shattered. It seems like letting the return ability and buff work from graveyard, perhaps with a clause to exile it if it would be put into the graveyard from anywhere but the battlefield, would fit much better.
It was mostly a boost for affinity, as well as a sort of "you must destroy this twice to get rid of it" thing.

I guess I should have modified the flavour somewhat, made it so the golem was transforming into a banner or something. Ah well.

Trap the Shadows 4BB

Enchantment - R

Each player's maximum life total is 15.

Sacrifice Trap the Shadows: Target player loses 3 life and you gain 3 life.

HypoSoc
2013-11-20, 07:17 AM
Quick comment to Hyposoc:
A better ability for that spell would be "Convoke" rather than "Affinity for Creatures", as the flavour text implies that the "life" has an active role rather than a passive role in "begetting life". That, and convoke makes the spell potentially cost 0 mana! :smallbiggrin:

Considered it originally, but I decided against it to separate it from already existing cards, and so that it wouldn't tap the other creatures. I also don't want it to be free by itself for tempo reasons (I don't want it to be a zero mana instant that comes out of nowhere on opponents).

onasuma
2013-11-20, 08:15 AM
Hornets Nest 4GG

Enchantment

GG: Put a 1/1 green insect token with flying onto the battlefield.

Insects you control have deathtouch.

What isn't most vicious while defending its home?

~Corvus~
2013-11-20, 12:22 PM

Green simply does not do creature destruction outside of something like Beast Within or Plummet.

I really like playing with the color pie; It was not my intention of ruffling your feathers. I just think it's particularly fun. :smallredface:

Metallic Transmutation 3UUG

Sorcery - R

Choose one ó All non-artifact creatures lose all abilities and become non-creature artifacts, OR each player sacrifices all artifacts they control.
Entwine: (G)(G)

Day 987: Crafted a spell that instantly bypasses slivers' resistance and preserves them for transport. Side-effects include permanent petrification and/or disintegration of nearby instruments.
-Riptide researcher notes

Fable Wright
2013-11-20, 01:17 PM
I really like playing with the color pie; It was not my intention of ruffling your feathers. I just think it's particularly fun. :smallredface:

There's a difference between "playing with" and "smashing." Just remember that the slices of the pie have boundaries beyond finding flavor justifications.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-11-20, 02:34 PM
Don't worry DMoD, I was kidding. Though I was hoping that you'd at least wonder what happens when it's assigned to block a creature that's attacking itself. :smallbiggrin:

Walk the Planes (Mk I) 1WUBRG
Search your library for a planeswalker card and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Walk the Planes (Mk II) WUBRG
Each player may search his or her library for a planeswalker card, reveal it, put it into his or her hand, then shuffle his or her library. Then, you may play a planeswalker card from your hand without paying its mana cost.

Walk the Planes (Mk III) WWUUBBRRGG
Search your library for any number of planeswalker cards and put them onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Walk the Planes 3WUBRG
Sorcery - MR
Search your library for any number of planeswalker cards and put them onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Everyone says that they come here to win, not to make friends. What's the difference?

mystic1110
2013-11-20, 02:47 PM
Leyquake 6G
Instant MR
Till end of turn if tapped for mana, Plains produce B, Islands produce R, Swamps produce G, Mountains produce W, and Forests produce U instead of any other type.
If a Plains, Mountain, Island, Swamp and Forest are on the battlefield, you may cast Leyquake from your graveyard.
Sometimes the earth rumbles, the seas crash and the skies fall. Sometimes mana breaks.

~Corvus~
2013-11-20, 03:02 PM
If a Plains, Mountain, Island, Swamp and Forest are on the battlefield, you may play Leyquake from your graveyard.

You mean CAST it from the graveyard, or play it for free?

mystic1110
2013-11-20, 03:17 PM
Fixed - thanks :smallsmile:

The_Tentacle
2013-11-20, 06:40 PM
Execrate {4BWR}
Sorcery (MR)
Split Second
Remove a creature from the game.
~ can't be countered or targeted.
"Billy Mayes here, with the ultimate in utter annihilation!"

I don't know about the flavor text either.

PS: Thanks for all the advice :smallsmile:.

~Corvus~
2013-11-20, 06:58 PM
Execrate {4BWR}
Sorcery (MR)
Split Second
Remove target creature from the game.
~ ignores hexproof, shroud, and protection.

PS: if anyone can see a way to prevent this card, I'd like to know, as this is supposed to be completely unstoppable. Also, should I maybe raise the mana cost a bit?

If there was a Decree of Silence (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=46430) or other such effect it could be stopped.

Maybe... The spirit of the Dega persists past the destruction of Dominaria.

The_Tentacle
2013-11-20, 07:04 PM
But the effect of Decree goes on the stack, and split second says no to that, right? Or am I mistaken about Split Second?

~Corvus~
2013-11-20, 07:06 PM
But the effect of Decree goes on the stack, and split second says no to that, right? Or am I mistaken about Split Second?

I don't think so. (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=1776996)

Grimsage Matt
2013-11-20, 07:13 PM
Is the muiltikicker wording on the warbanner good?

~Corvus~
2013-11-20, 07:28 PM
Is the muiltikicker wording on the warbanner good?

Legendary Artifact- R
Goblins have Multikicker R; When summoned, place a copy of the goblin for each time it was kicked
"From time to time a great Warboss emerges from the goblins. Under their banner they transform from snivelling wretches into an army that can shake the very foundations of the world."

The wording would be more accurate at "make a token that is a copy of the spell for each time it is kicked."

That said, multikicker usually does something else than make a copy of that creature spell (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[multikicker]&type=+[%22Creature%22]); perhaps you get extra 1/1 Goblin tokens? Otherwise goblins like Seige-Gang Commander (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193751) is going to be even more silly. Getting extra goblin tokens would also help fuel the Convoke ability.

Grimsage Matt
2013-11-20, 07:32 PM
Ya, changed to 1/1 goblin creature tokens for each time they're kicked. For a great goblin horde.

Saposhiente
2013-11-20, 09:57 PM

Split second prevents you from casting spells and activating nonmana abilities, not from putting things on the stack.

Binks
2013-11-20, 11:45 PM
PS: if anyone can see a way to prevent this card, I'd like to know, as this is supposed to be completely unstoppable. Also, should I maybe raise the mana cost a bit?
Voidmage Apprentice can still counter it too (morph doesn't use the stack). Silly as it seems, if you want it to be truly unstoppable, you probably need to put "can't be countered' on there too for that and similar effects (decree of silence, counterbalance, dovescape, erayo's essense, hesitation, etc etc).

Also I'm pretty sure 'ignores' is not a magic term. Instead of ignoring those effects you can just get around them (as I did in an earlier entry) by not targeting. "Exile a creature" gets around shroud, hexproof, and protection by simply not targeting the creature in the process, and has the advange of being less wordy :).

Rules text for what you're trying to do would be something along the lines of:
"Split Second
~ can't be countered
Exile a creature"

Ignores all stack clearing effects (split second), counterspells (can't be countered), and targeting restrictions (doesn't target). Unless your opponent can kill you in response with a trigger (with Runic Thar, for instance) they can't do anything to stop this that I know of. Feel free to correct me if anyone knows of a way (besides the casting player dying) to stop that rules text.

Misothene
2013-11-20, 11:52 PM
Execrate {4BWR}
Sorcery (MR)
Split Second

Willbender (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=189252) stops this, as do the Flagbearers.

You could go with a wording like "Choose a creature. Exile it." This gets around literally everything, I think.

Fable Wright
2013-11-21, 12:19 AM
Mindreave 3UBR
Sorcery
Search each other player's hand, graveyard, and library for a number of Instants and Sorceries with total converted mana cost 6 or less and exile them. As long as they are exiled, no other player may cast a spell with the same name as the exiled spells, and you may cast the exiled spells and spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast them.

(To clarify, that is not CMC 6 per player, but CMC 6 for all the Instants and Sorceries.)

Saposhiente
2013-11-21, 01:28 AM
Execrate {4BWR}
Sorcery (MR)
Split Second

Keeping in mind Mindbreak Trap (exile any number of target spells), redirect flip-ups, and "end the turn" spells, the only way to make this immune to everything is "Split second. Choose a creature, and exile it. This spell cannot be targeted."
If they make a flip-face-up end the turn ability, you're screwed.

Duck999
2013-11-21, 02:10 PM
Execrate {4BWR}
Sorcery (MR)
Split Second

PS: Thanks for all the advice :smallsmile:.

Wouldn't split second prevent countering and targeting anyway? Not completely sure.

~Corvus~
2013-11-21, 02:38 PM
Wouldn't split second prevent countering and targeting anyway? Not completely sure.

It doesn't prevent effects from going on the stack, as covered. Voidmage Apprentice (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=189250) still works, since it can be flipped up at any time, and it's not an effect; Contingent counterspelling effects would work, and obviously, Willbender (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=189252) will still redirect.

Binks
2013-11-21, 02:39 PM
Decree of Silence (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=46430), Counterbalance (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=121159), Dovescape (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=107428), Erayo's Essense (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=87599&part=Erayo%27s+Essence), Hesitation (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=5167), Planar Chaos (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=35088), Voidmage Apprentice (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=189250).

Those are just a sampling of the cards that can counter a spell regardless of split second, as split second does not prevent triggered abilities or morph from going off.

As a sidenote, no wording yet proposed (mine included) stops Knowledge Pool from pseudo-countering this spell :smalltongue:. Magic is a game of loopholes, and creating a card that can't be stopped no matter what is hard.

Here is my new best guess (after more time to think about it) at how you can get a card that can't be prevented by anything in the game as of yet.

"Split Second
~ cannot be removed from the stack by spells or abilities
Exile a creature"

If you really want to get technical you do need something like "While ~ is on the stack the current phase cannot end" to stop any 'end the turn' shenanigans (where the game would be removing the spell from the stack) but as no triggered end the turn abilities exist yet it's not strictly required.

And, for fun, if you wanted to print a card that could beat that card you would do something like
"Whenever a player casts a spell you may do X. If you do that spell loses all text. Counter it."

The_Tentacle
2013-11-21, 09:03 PM
Well, I can't think of anything that gets around this now. Put in some edits, and I don't think that you're able to stop this card - yet. Sooner or later, a card will be printed to get around this... but whatever. I'm done. :P

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Androgeus
2013-11-23, 06:57 AM
Heh I've got the best way to get around Execrate, sac your entire field to Ashnod's Altar. (Yes I realise that this would leave you with out any creatures in play, but it will give you load of mana)

Saposhiente
2013-11-23, 06:20 PM
Shining Monument 2WWWW
Enchantment Artifact R
Indestructible
White creatures you control have +X/+X, where X is half your devotion to white, rounded down.

God not willing to help you out? Build him a Monument. Great synergy with Theros since all of the other White Devotion cards are creatures which make more creatures.

~Corvus~
2013-11-23, 06:27 PM
Heh I've got the best way to get around Execrate, sac your entire field to Ashnod's Altar. (Yes I realise that this would leave you with out any creatures in play, but it will give you load of mana)

On the other hand, it will accomplish more than he had simply desired.

Blue Ghost
2013-11-28, 04:16 AM
It's that time (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=220139) again! Well, it's a bit overdue. Was kind of busy with school and stuff.

Binks:

Ceaseless Hunger - 10
Sorcery - Eldrazi UC
If a spell makes a single token, there ought to be a justification for it, and I donít see that here. Thereís no reason or context provided as to why this isnít a straight-up creature. And as a creature, itís fairly bland.

Grimsage Matt:

Legendary Artifact- R
Goblins have Multikicker R; When summoned, place a 1/1 red goblin creature token into play for each time it was kicked
I donít like the way it mixes evergreen keywords with multiple set-specific ones; itís too cluttered. The use of Convoke clashes with the aggressive orientation of the first set of abilities, and Iím afraid that combined with the multikicker effect it would be simply broken. Not to mention that itís a colored artifact, which isnít done without good reason.

HypoSoc:

Bionativity 8G
Instant - Rare
~ cost 1 less to cast for each creature you control.
Put eight 1/1 green saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Life begets life.

I rather like this one. A solid token generator thatís affordable in dedicated decks, not too splashy, but very playable.

Sethman27:

Clear the skies 4GG
Instant- Uncommon
~ deals 5 damage to all creatures with flying if a creature would be dealt damage that way it loses flying until end of turn
Itís a green wrath for flyers. Itís all right, but Hurricane does the job equally well while being more versatile.

Eternis:

Death from Below 6BBB
Sorcery (- Arcane for those who want more shenanigans :smallbiggrin:) R
For each creature card in your graveyard, target opponent sacrifices a creature, then put all creature cards from your graveyard into play.

Not quite sure about this one. Itís potentially a Plague Wind with a massive upside stapled on, but it also has the potential to fizzle to graveyard removal. Iím not really comfortable with a card with that much potential power, even at nine mana. Itís too slow for Standard, but itís pretty much an autowin in Commander. Also, with such a massive effect, Iíd have really liked a more evocative name and flavor.

Diego Havoc:

Trap the Shadows 4BB
Enchantment - R
Each player's maximum life total is 15.
Sacrifice Trap the Shadows: Target player loses 3 life and you gain 3 life.
Um, how does setting a maximum life total work? Does it make them lose life if theyíre over 15 when played? Thatís a really unorthodox rule, and really needs more explanation. If it works, itís okay as a hoser against dedicated lifegain decks, but cards like Leyline of Punishment are cheaper and more effective.

Onasuma:

Hornets Nest 4GG
Enchantment
GG: Put a 1/1 green insect token with flying onto the battlefield.
Insects you control have deathtouch.
What isn't most vicious while defending its home?
A solid defensive card and token generator, not much to say about it. I donít quite get why it gives all insects deathtouch, when clearly theyíre not all hornets, or why the hornets lose deathtouch when the hive is destroyed. A bit of a flavor disconnect there, but other than that, not bad.

Corvus:

Metallic Transmutation 3UUG

Sorcery - R

Choose one ó All non-artifact creatures lose all abilities and become non-creature artifacts, OR each player sacrifices all artifacts they control.
Entwine: (G)(G)

Day 987: Crafted a spell that instantly bypasses slivers' resistance and preserves them for transport. Side-effects include permanent petrification and/or disintegration of nearby instruments.
-Riptide researcher notes
Interesting. Itís a versatile mass removal card in colors that donít traditionally get mass removal. I donít quite get why it sacrifices the artifacts instead of destroying them; green doesnít generally get sacrifice effects. The turning creatures into artifacts, while flavorful, isnít very elegant. You end up with a bunch of permanents sitting around doing nothing, with no way to revert them, and you need to keep track of them while they donít affect the board state at all. Seems rather clunky to me.

Dr. Gunsforhands:

Walk the Planes 3WUBRG
Sorcery - MR
Everyone says that they come here to win, not to make friends. What's the difference?
Holy snap, thatís a lot of planeswalkers. Sure, it requires five colors, but you get Nicol Bolas AND all his friends for eight mana? I donít think thatíll fly power level wise.

Mystic1110:

Leyquake 6G
Instant MR
Till end of turn if tapped for mana, Plains produce B, Islands produce R, Swamps produce G, Mountains produce W, and Forests produce U instead of any other type.
If a Plains, Mountain, Island, Swamp and Forest are on the battlefield, you may cast Leyquake from your graveyard.
Sometimes the earth rumbles, the seas crash and the skies fall. Sometimes mana breaks.

Thatís a very bizarre effect. Itís a situational color hoser, thatís repeatable in five-color decks, whose efficiency varies wildly against different types of decks. All the color changing is a lot to keep track of, and the impact on the game as a whole is much too small for seven mana.

The_Tentacle:

Execrate {4BWR}
Sorcery (MR)
Split Second
I get that you want this card to be as foolproof as possible, but the ďcanít be countered or targetedĒ clause is redundant with split second the vast majority of the time, and thus clutters up the card for little return. I donít like the pseudo-targeting effect; this kind of selection is exactly the kind of thing that shroud and hexproof are supposed to stop, and having an untargeted card that targets is just unnecessarily confusing. And at the end of the day, this is just a very expensive spot removal.

DMofDarkness:

Mindreave 3UBR
Sorcery
Search each other player's hand, graveyard, and library for a number of Instants and Sorceries with total converted mana cost 6 or less and exile them. As long as they are exiled, no other player may cast a spell with the same name as the exiled spells, and you may cast the exiled spells and spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast them.

I like it. A very versatile card, very Nicol Bolas in feel. Being wholly dependent on the opponents gives it a great amount of variety that keeps the game fun, while it works against a wide range of decktypes, making it totally maindeckable. My only gripe is that I would prefer this as an enchantment, to avoid memory issues. But otherwise, fantastic.

Saposhiente:

Shining Monument 2WWWW
Enchantment Artifact R
Indestructible
White creatures you control have +X/+X, where X is half your devotion to white, rounded down.

Itís an expensive anthem effect, similar to Collective Blessing but with a variable boost. A solid card, to be sure, but doesnít really excite me. Useful, but rather bland.

And the winner is:
DMofDarkness, with Mindreave! I feel kind of bad giving him another win so soon, but I feel that his entry was by far the most balanced and exciting.

See you next contest!

The_Tentacle
2013-11-28, 08:20 AM
The_Tentacle:

I get that you want this card to be as foolproof as possible, but the ďcanít be countered or targetedĒ clause is redundant with split second the vast majority of the time, and thus clutters up the card for little return. I donít like the pseudo-targeting effect; this kind of selection is exactly the kind of thing that shroud and hexproof are supposed to stop, and having an untargeted card that targets is just unnecessarily confusing. And at the end of the day, this is just a very expensive spot removal.

Um... yeah, the point is that it's a very expensive spot removal. The point is to get rid of one creature they have, no matter what it is and what it has. And, as you can see from all the discussion upthread, the "can't be countered or targeted" clause is a) necessary or else the card doesn't actually do what I want and b) like 5 words, so I don't really know where you're getting clutter from. Again, the point is that it can get rid of stuff with shroud and hexproof, and the vast majority of cards comply with those abilities, but I wanted something that didn't. So shroud and hexproof prevent the vast majority of spells, but this one spot removal gets past them. So unless your opponent has the three colors required to cast, plus seven mana, then your Progenitii and Emrakul have nothing to fear. But if you have exactly what you need, you have a seven mana unavoidable (this is the point) spot removal. Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by "untargeted card that targets," so it would be nice if you could clarify that.

In other news:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, and I would just like to give thanks for this thread and all you wonderful people who post on it. And thanks especially to AgentPaper, who started this wonderful, wonderful contest all those years ago.

THANK YOU!

Fable Wright
2013-11-28, 08:51 AM
I'm starting to feel like I should just skip the next round of card creation, just in case.

In honor of North American Turkey Day, Make a Bird. Anything with the Bird creature subtype. Go nuts.

Grimsage Matt
2013-11-28, 10:02 AM
Grimsage Matt:

I donít like the way it mixes evergreen keywords with multiple set-specific ones; itís too cluttered. The use of Convoke clashes with the aggressive orientation of the first set of abilities, and Iím afraid that combined with the multikicker effect it would be simply broken. Not to mention that itís a colored artifact, which isnít done without good reason.

There were more then a few colored artifact creatures a while back.... And ya, convoke should have been replaced with something like "For Every Goblin in play, Goblin spells cost 1 or R less to cast". This wasn't ment for goblin gangland, this was ment for Goblin WAAAAAGH!!!

Now, for the bird.....

Death Eater Vulture 4GB
Creature- Bird R
Flying
When Death Eater Vulture has -1/-1 tokens it has undying
When Death Eater Vulture has +1/+1 tokens it has persist
"The problem with them is that they always eat their own deaths."
4/4

And yes, I realise that it won't go away easy, thats the point. Also, both abillities fit the colors, and flying is common to birds. Also, it's easy enough to exile or counter.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-11-28, 12:43 PM
Diego Havoc:

Um, how does setting a maximum life total work? Does it make them lose life if theyíre over 15 when played? Thatís a really unorthodox rule, and really needs more explanation. If it works, itís okay as a hoser against dedicated lifegain decks, but cards like Leyline of Punishment are cheaper and more effective.
Hmm. I guess I didn't really think it through. But yeah, you would lose life if you had over 15.

~Corvus~
2013-11-28, 12:47 PM
In honor of North American Turkey Day, Make a Bird. Anything with the Bird creature subtype. Go nuts.

Songbird of Harmony 2GU

Creature - Bird | U

Flying

When ~ enters the battlefield or leaves the battlefield, choose one: add two mana of any one color to the battlefield or draw a card.
Evoke 1GU
1/2
Long or short, mournful or joyous, the song of this bird lingers beyond its departure.

~Corvus~
2013-11-28, 12:50 PM
Death Eater Vulture 4GB
Creature- Bird R
Flying
4/4

You should make it 4RB and call it death-eater Phoenix =3

mystic1110
2013-11-28, 02:23 PM
∆ther Raven 2U
creature - bird U
Bleach 2UU (You may cast this spell for its Bleach cost. If you do, change its text by by removing all instances of color words.)
Flying
When ∆ther Raven enters the battlefield, return target blue creature to its owner's hand.
2/2

Blue Ghost
2013-11-28, 02:27 PM
Um... yeah, the point is that it's a very expensive spot removal. The point is to get rid of one creature they have, no matter what it is and what it has. And, as you can see from all the discussion upthread, the "can't be countered or targeted" clause is a) necessary or else the card doesn't actually do what I want and b) like 5 words, so I don't really know where you're getting clutter from. Again, the point is that it can get rid of stuff with shroud and hexproof, and the vast majority of cards comply with those abilities, but I wanted something that didn't. So shroud and hexproof prevent the vast majority of spells, but this one spot removal gets past them. So unless your opponent has the three colors required to cast, plus seven mana, then your Progenitii and Emrakul have nothing to fear. But if you have exactly what you need, you have a seven mana unavoidable (this is the point) spot removal. Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by "untargeted card that targets," so it would be nice if you could clarify that.

In other news:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, and I would just like to give thanks for this thread and all you wonderful people who post on it. And thanks especially to AgentPaper, who started this wonderful, wonderful contest all those years ago.

THANK YOU!

Yes, I get that that is the point. But really, both Progenitus and Emrakul are as susceptible as anything to mass removal, which is cheaper, more efficient, and more elegant. By "untargeted spell that targets," I mean that the spell selects a target the exact same way as a targeted spell, but doesn't use the word "target," which I feel is just wrong. Maybe a better way would be to select a card name and exile all permanents with that name?

I second the sentiment. A shoutout to this thread, everyone! :smallsmile:

LaZodiac
2013-11-28, 06:07 PM
Okay, here's my entry!

Birds of Damnation B
Creature - Bird R
Flying
(T): Tap target land.
0/1
Each feather of it's wing is a memento of a death, the colors of life faded to black.

Sorry if I'm missing anything, it's been awhile since I entered one of these.

onasuma
2013-11-28, 06:31 PM
Hawk of Bygone Eras 2U

Creature - Bird

Flying

Whenever you remove a time counter from a permanent you control, you may put a time counter on ~. When you place a third time counter on ~, transform ~.

As you fly forward, it longs to fly back.

1/1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Last Raptor (Green)

Legendary Creature - Beast

<tap>, Remove a time counter from ~: ~ fights target creature. Then, if ~ has no time counters on it, sacrifice it.

It new its time was soon to come, but no one wants to die without a fight.

3/3

Harlington
2013-11-28, 07:22 PM
Hello! First time here!
I actually play a long-game WU Bird deck, so here's my idea:

Nest Matriarch 2WWU
<Image: Albatross nest on cliffs, big mother. Tiny silly babies looking around. Big Albatrosses flying in distance>

Creature - Bird

Flying, Defender

Whenever at least 1 Bird creature you control attacks, put a 1/1 White&Blue Bird Token with Defender into play, named "Nest Hatchling".

Sacrifice Nest Matriarch: Exile any number of Creatures named Nest Hatchling you control.
Put X 3/3 White&Blue Bird Tokens with Flying and Haste into play, where X is the number of Nest Hatchling Tokens exiled.

"We all yearn to escape, to live... but don't realize what we're escaping from until its gone..." - Karn

1/4

~Corvus~
2013-11-28, 07:40 PM
∆ther Raven 2U
Instant U

What do you mean by instant? Do you mean Bird? or flash?

~Corvus~
2013-11-28, 08:13 PM
Hello! First time here!

Sacrifice Nest Matriarch: Exile any number of Creatures named Nest Hatchling you control.
Put X 3/3 White&Blue Bird Tokens with Flying and Haste into play, where X is the number of Nest Hatchling Tokens exiled.

Welcome!

Perhaps rephrase that to "...you control and put X..." or risk causing confusion.

The_Tentacle
2013-11-28, 09:17 PM
Dire Turkey {2GG}
Creature - Bird (R)
Trample
When ~ is put into a graveyard from play, you may pay RR. If you do, exile ~ and gain 5 life.
"Kill it! Kill it WITH FIRE!"
3/3

Decided to submit something different.

Ninjaman
2013-11-29, 01:18 AM
Hello! First time here!
I actually play a long-game WU Bird deck, so here's my idea:

Nest Matriarch 2WWU
<Image: Albatross nest on cliffs, big mother. Tiny silly babies looking around. Big Albatrosses flying in distance>

Creature - Bird

Flying, Defender

Whenever at least 1 Bird creature you control attacks, put a 1/1 White&Blue Bird Token with Defender into play, named "Nest Hatchling".

"We all yearn to escape, to live... but don't realize what we're escaping from until its gone..." - Karn

1/4

Exile any number of Creatures named Nest Hatchling you control. Put that many 3/3 White&Blue Bird Tokens with Flying and Haste into play.

Would be a smoother wording.

Saposhiente
2013-11-29, 01:40 AM
Snatching Eagle 3GG
Creature - Bird R
Flying
3: Target creature without flying gets -3/-0 and flying until end of turn. If you don't control it, it deals 1 damage to ~.
T: ~ fights target creature with flying.
3/2

I'm trying to use only mechanics to paint the picture of the eagle swooping down and picking up a creature (the creature getting a weak blow on the eagle in the process), tossing it into the air, and then slamming into it midair. Yes, it can kill Grizzly Bears, but for 5 mana you get a very big bird.
It's repeatable removal, which is really good, but it only works on non-hexproof non-deathtouch creatures with toughness 3 or less, and if it has 4 power or 2 power with flying then the eagle dies in the process, and except for weak flyers you're spending mana to do it. It's also extremely vulnerable to removal, dying to Shock, ping after it uses its ability, any full removal or counterspell, or any combat trick to buff the creature it attacks, making it a 5 mana card which every color has the ability to kill with a single card. Still, if unanswered, it can be a bomb.

The_Tentacle
2013-11-29, 03:00 PM
Covetous Magpie {2U}
Creature - Bird (R)
Flying
Whenever ~ attacks, it gets +1/+1 for each other attacking creature with flying.
Whenever ~ would deal combat damage to a player, you may have ~ deal no combat damage this combat. If you do, gain control of target artifact that player controls with converted mana cost less than ~'s power.
"11 for health, 12 for wealth, 13 beware it's the devil himself!"
1/1

For those of you who don't know, that pump when attacking ability is because magpies often hunt in packs. Also, did you know that the card Thieving Magpie (http://magiccards.info/query?q=magpie&v=card&s=cname) is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for Magpies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Magpie#In_culture)?

Eternis
2013-11-29, 05:35 PM
Wet Hen of Mass Production UW
Creature - Bird R
T: Put a 0/1 bird creature token into play.
3: Untap ~.
U, T: Prevent the next X damage that would be dealt to a bird creature you control from a red source, where X is the number of birds in play.
BAWK!
0/3

Eternis
2013-11-29, 05:40 PM
Death Eater Vulture 4GB
Creature- Bird R
Flying
4/4

The great thing about this card is that it LOOKS a lot better than it is.
It needs a counter on it to work in the first place :smallbiggrin:.

~Corvus~
2013-11-29, 06:17 PM
The great thing about this card is that it LOOKS a lot better than it is.
It needs a counter on it to work in the first place :smallbiggrin:.

It's not that hard to do...

Eternis
2013-12-01, 03:41 AM
Oh, agreed.
BUT.
If you're actually going to use removal on the thing, you'll wait until just before they put the counter on it :smalltongue:

HypoSoc
2013-12-01, 04:30 PM
Peace-Plume Dove W
Creature - Bird - R
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, until the beginning of your next upkeep, prevent all combat damage that opponent would deal.
Its message of virtue and harmony can pierce even the brashest mind.
1/1

Blue Ghost
2013-12-01, 04:38 PM
Punisher Eagle 2W
Creature - Bird (R)
Flying
Bestow 3WB
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
At the beginning of your upkeep, enchanted creature's controller loses 2 life.
Legend speaks of a titan imprisoned in the mountains, tormented day and night by a messenger of Heliod.
3/2

Beacon of Chaos
2013-12-03, 07:13 AM
Coconut-Carrying Swallow 2R

Creature - Bird C

Flying

Whenever Coconut-Carrying Swallow attacks, you may have it deal 1 damage to target non-flying creature.

"Yes, but is it an African or a European swallow?" -King Arthur of Camelot

1/1

Image shows a swallow dropping a coconut on a goblin's head.

Lea Plath
2013-12-03, 07:59 PM

OK, important thing. The phrasing is wrong on this.

First up, it is COUNTERS not TOKENS! A counter is a marker put on a card to represent something. A token is a marker to represent a game object like a creature.

Secondly, it should be Death Eater Vulture has undying as long as it has a -1/-1 counter on it or Death Eater Vulture has persist as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.

Thirdly, this is a 1 card combo. Unless you exile it, you go infinite with any sac outlet. Very broken.

Anyway, my offering.

Endless Flock 3WU
Tribal Enchantment - Bird
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of target bird creature you control.

The_Tentacle
2013-12-03, 09:58 PM
Actually, it's not a one card combo because it enters play with no counters on it, and therefore if you kill it then, it just dies. It needs a counter on it before hand to come back. And even then it just gets one more life before dying and coming back blank again.

Play it - it dies normally.

Play it - put a counter on it - it dies and comes back with with an opposite counter that negates the one on it - it dies normally.

As I understand it, if you have a +1/+1 counter and then place a -1/-1 counter, they both just go away. The only way to put to get an infinite chain is to put new counters on it each time it comes back.

Saposhiente
2013-12-03, 10:08 PM
Actually, persist and undying allow the card to hit the graveyard, causing them to lose any counters they have. Thus, if it gets a +1/+1 counter, when it dies it comes back with a -1/-1 counter (and nothing else), then it can die again and come back with just a +1/+1 counter, etc.

AgentPaper
2013-12-03, 10:10 PM
Actually, persist and undying allow the card to hit the graveyard, causing them to lose any counters they have. Thus, if it gets a +1/+1 counter, when it dies it comes back with a -1/-1 counter (and nothing else), then it can die again can come back with just a +1/+1 counter, etc.

Frustratingly, nowhere does it state this outright. It took me an hour of research to figure out that it actually worked this way. So I guess you can add "constant arguments between players about how it works" to the list of flaws.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-12-04, 05:18 AM
Psytacine Laurikeet 4U
Legendary Creature - Bird Pirate MR
Flying
Whenever Psytacine Laurikeet attacks, other creatures you control cannot be blocked this turn.
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
4/4

Also:Flip the Bird BR
Tribal Instant - Bird C
Flip the Bird deals 2 damage to target player. That player discards a card.

Sethman27
2013-12-04, 01:12 PM
Carrion raven 2BB
Creature- zombie bird. U
Flying
Whenever ~ attacks defending player may remove 3 cards from thair grave yard if they do ~ deal no damage
Whenever a creature card is exiled from a grave yard you may gain 1 life
they came after the battle screeching only our dead kept them at bay.
3/2

~Corvus~
2013-12-08, 04:48 PM
So, ah....how bout that grading, eh?

Fable Wright
2013-12-08, 07:33 PM
Decidedly unimpressive, as you need to put counters on it to work in the first place, at which point, it becomes annoying to deal with in limited, but in any constructed format, it's going to be irrelevant. Sure, infinite sac fodder and so on, but there are plenty of 2-card combos that do that already, so this is nothing special.

Interesting. Not sure if the color fixing for card disadvantage is Blue enough to work (they only do basic land type changing), but interesting.

So, Mist raven with a conditional upside.

I like what you are trying to do here, a Black version of Birds of Paradise, but unfortunately, this is a bit too strong. Mana denial in the early game from sources that require you to sacrifice a land (Strip Mine) and pay 2 every turn (Rishadan Port) are incredibly powerful land destruction engines. A 1-mana stone rain, even if it can be killed, might simply be too much.

So, I see what you're doing here, and it's not exactly a bad thing. However, the fact remains that even if you change the color identity of the card, you're giving mono-Blue decks the ability to Fight creatures, which breaks the color pie too much. If it was G, T: Fight, then it would be a very solid entry, but as it stands, the color pie breakage cannot be ignored.

I see what you're going for here, but I'm concerned that it doesn't build up tokens efficiently enough. Compare Dragon Broodmother, which pops out two tokens in the time that this card produces one, with an upside rather than a downside, which doesn't require tribal to operate. It also feels odd giving Haste to the tokens, which leads to a very non-WU feeling of "mommy's gone GOGOGO" in flavor and gameplay. Haste is also unnecessary, as sacrificing the mother at the end of the opponents turn means you can still swing in.

Also, it makes two token types, which you generally need a good reason to do.

I know what you're trying to do here, and it is very flavorful, which would give a lot of leeway for color pie breakage. But a Green flying creature, that can decrease power and grant flying and deal direct damage in order to be able to repeatedly remove creatures that are 4/4 and smaller may be crossing the line a bit too much.

It's a blue lord that steals artifacts that actually feels unique. Well done.

The Blue part of the flavor makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Compare Peacekeeper. It doesn't allow you to attack, requires you to pay mana every turn, dies to every removal there is, and it's still one of the most powerful combat deterrents in Magic. I shudder to think of what this could do in Modern Death and Taxes. It's simply too powerful an effect for a 1 mana flier. Also, it gets frankly absurd with First Strike.

4.5/5 for flavor and intended mechanics. Unfortunately, 2 life per turn is a very powerful clock, as Stab Wound has shown us, and Pillory of the Sleepless was already absurdly powerful, even for 5 mana, with only 1 life per turn. And neither of them gave you a 3/2 flier if the creature was killed to stop the bleed.

Props for the reference, but this feels rather generic. Red doesn't get fliers, direct damage to blockers has been done, and a 3 mana 1/1 isn't particularly exciting.

Unique enchantment that's expensive, but could grant a solid boost to a tribe that needs love. Great EDH fodder.

Automatic unblockable for the entire team, with a 4-toughness body, that's easily splashable and gives a looting effect. In constructed, it's probably still not good enough, even in formats like EDH, and it would be frankly unfun to play against in limited. Bonus points for it being a Pirate, though.

That is... a very, very steep drawback on an already weak flier, and the lifegain isn't going to be significant enough to make up for it.

The runner-up: ~Corvus~.

The winner: Lea Plath.

LaZodiac
2013-12-08, 07:41 PM
Glad you liked it. I admit it probably should of cost at least 3, but I was so caught up in making a black Birds of Paradise that I misjudged. Still, quite fun. Congrats to the winner, can't wait for the next contest!

Saposhiente
2013-12-08, 08:23 PM
I know what you're trying to do here, and it is very flavorful, which would give a lot of leeway for color pie breakage. But a Green flying creature, that can decrease power and grant flying and deal direct damage in order to be able to repeatedly remove creatures that are 4/4 and smaller may be crossing the line a bit too much.
3/3 and smaller. 4 toughness is enough to survive, 4 power kills the bird, you can only use it once per turn on enemies. Re-read the second sentence on the first power: the targeted creature deals 1 damage to the bird, not the other way around. Also means you can't kill deathtouch creatures, and lifelink creatures give their controller 1 life in compensation.

Lea Plath
2013-12-08, 09:06 PM
Awesome! Glad people liked my idea!

Your next challenge is to Design a new 3 coloured. commander. The combinations are GWB, GWR, GWU, RWB, RUG, BUG, UWR, UBR, GBR and UWB. Because they are commanders, they can also have abilities that interact with or occur in the command zone, such as Oloro's ability.

Wording and correct terms matter! Good luck :D

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-08, 09:32 PM
Skarsnik, Warlord of the Eight Peaks 3GBR
Legendary Creature- Goblin Warrior- MR

At the begining of your upkeep, if Skarsnik is in the command zone, make X black, green and red 1/1 goblin creature tokens in the battlefield. X is equal to the number of goblins in play.

Goblins you control have Battlecry.

During your combat phase if you attack with at least 10 Goblins they gain First Strike. If you attack with at least 20 Goblins they also gain Trample. If you attack with at least 40 Goblins they also gain Doublestrike. If you attack with at least 80 Goblins they also gain Hexproof. If you attack with at least 160 Goblins they also gain Deathtouch. All effects from this ability last until the end of the combat phase
"Skarsnik leads the goblins to overwhelming victory, through overwhelming numbers."
3/3

LaZodiac
2013-12-08, 10:41 PM
Chief Inquisitor Terul 2RWU
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (M)
Haste, Vigilance
When ~ attacks, put two 1/1 white and red Soldier Tokens on the battlefield.
Tap two untapped Soldiers you control: Detain target permanent.
3/4
Law and Order has come to the City of Gates.

Mystic Muse
2013-12-08, 11:16 PM
Skarsnik, Warlord of the Eight Peaks 2GBR
Legendary Creature- Goblin Lord- MR

When Skarsnik enters the field, place a 4/3 Green/Red Beast creature token with wither named Gobbla into the same zone as Skarsnik. When Skarsnik moves from the command zone to the battlefield, so does Gobbla.

When Skarsnik is in the command zone, you may pay X. Make X 1/1 Red goblin creature tokens on the battlefield.

When Skarsnik is in the battlefield goblins have +2/+2 and hexproof.

2/4

It should read

"When Skarsnik enters the battlefield, put a 4/3 Green and Red Beast Creature token with wither named Gobbla into play.

X: Put X 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens on the battlefield. Activate this ability only when Skarsnik is in the command zone.

Goblins get +2/+2 and have Hexproof."

I'm not sure what you intend with "When Skarsnik moves from the command zone to the battlefield, so does Gobbla."

Saposhiente
2013-12-08, 11:21 PM
When Skarsnik is in the command zone, you may pay X. Make X 1/1 Red goblin creature tokens on the battlefield.

Also, way op. Throw in some when-a-creature-enters-the-battlefield-under-your-control abilities (Pod style) and a bunch of mana acceleration and you don't even need to actually cast him. Only thing missing is the white buff-everyone stuff, but hey, he does that. You can even just only use him each turn, get 10 3/3 hexproofs and a 5/7 hexproof out by turn 5.

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-09, 12:01 AM
It should be noted that I don't have any idea what the command zone is.

As for Gobbla, it's from warhammer. Their inseprable.

Will be nerfing him big time, but I'm not a serious MTG player. I don't go looking for how to game the game, so I don't know a lot of the "obvious" combos. Most of my MTG experience is on these forums come to think about it.....

Saposhiente
2013-12-09, 12:35 AM
It's not about combos, it's just about being too good...
Commander, sometimes called ďElder Dragon Highlander,Ē starts with the rules for multiplayer Free-for-All games, in which any number of players compete against each other as individuals. Itís played with the Singleton format (in other words, except for basic lands, each card in your deck must have a different name), and each player starts with a life total of 40 rather than the usual 20. Most importantly, the centerpiece of each deck is a legendary creature that serves as that deckís commander.

To build a deck, you first choose a legendary creature, called a ďcommanderĒ or ďgeneral,Ē then construct a Singleton deck around it containing exactly 99 other cards. Only cards of the commanderís color(s) and colorless cards may be included in the deck. (Note that split cards and hybrid cards count as all of their colors.) In fact, if a card contains a mana symbol anywhere on it thatís not one of your commanderís colors, you canít include it in that deck! Within the game, if you would add mana to your mana pool thatís a color not shared by your commander, you get colorless mana instead.

Appropriately enough for a format named after the legendary creature thatís leading your team, your commander works differently from other cards in the game. Before the game begins, each player removes his or her commander from the game. You may play your commander from the command zone (no matter how it got there) for its normal costs plus an additional {2} for each previous time it has been played this way. If your commander would go to the graveyard or the exile zone from anywhere, you may put it into the command zone instead. In addition to the normal Magic loss conditions, if a player is dealt 21 points of combat damage from a single commander over the course of the game, that player loses the game!

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-12-09, 03:01 AM
This should be fun!

Maelyn, Heart of the Twister XBRG
Legendary Creature - Elemental MR
When Maelyn, Heart of the Twister enters the battlefield, it deals X damage to each other creature and each player.
"You said this town wasn't big enough for the both of us. I just made some room."
4/3

Maelyn, the Beating Tempest 1BRG
Haste, Trample
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice Maelyn unless you pay 1G.
When Maelyn dies, you may put it on top of its owner's library.
"Y'ever get tha feelin' like we jus' gettin' hit wit' tha same exac' storm over'n over?"
"Everyone's a critic."
7/2

Maelyn, the Chill Wind BRG
Legendary Snow Creature - Elemental MR
Wither
T: Maelyn fights target creature. Whenever that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.
"Succxessfully negxotiated new cxontract with elemenxtal lady. Nxote to selfx: bring mittenxs next xtime." - diplomat's log entry, barely legible.
4/3

mystic1110
2013-12-09, 11:10 AM
Feng Sheng, Denier of Gods 1RWU
Legendary Creature - Human Samurai M
Double Strike, Vigilance
If an opponent controls a legendary creature, Feng Sheng has protection from that opponent.
Mortals will never submit to the whims of the products of their own imaginations.
3/2

Other Legendary Creatures are Enchantments in addition to their other card types.
Other Legendary Creatures have "As long as your devotion to any color is less than five, this card is not a creature"
Just because they exist doesn't mean they are gods.
3/3

Saposhiente
2013-12-09, 12:27 PM
protection from that opponent.

That doesn't work; it would only apply if, for example, that opponent turned into a creature and you attacked him, then the opponent-creature wouldn't be able to block (but his regular creatures would be). You probably want "protection from things controlled by that opponent". Note the unfun, there is nothing they can do to stop you from just whittling at their life total while killing any creatures they send at you short of untargeted removal or killing their own legendary.

Binks
2013-12-09, 12:53 PM
That doesn't work; it would only apply if, for example, that opponent turned into a creature and you attacked him, then the opponent-creature wouldn't be able to block (but his regular creatures would be). You probably want "protection from things controlled by that opponent".
Actually, it does mean that now (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376562). True-Name Nemesis introduced a variant of protection that applies to players, so protection from opponent works fine with the new rules on it. It wasn't hugely announced (only if you were paying attention to the new commander decks) but it is a legal ability now.

I completely agree with you on the 'unfun' factor, however. Not a big fan of true-name myself for that same reason.

My entry (which ended up being way weirder than I was planning, but it looks fun and fit the theme I was going for, so here goes :smalltongue:). I'm about 90% I have the ordering of the abilities wrong, but it's the best I can come up with.

Deilire, the Many Faceted One [BUG color identity symbol, no mana cost]
Legendary Creature - Avatar Shapeshifter
(Nonexistant mana costs cannot be payed)
The "legend rule" does not apply to ~. A deck can have any number of cards named ~.
~'s power and toughness are equal to twice the number of permanents you control named ~.
1BUG: If ~ is in the command zone you may put it on the battlefield. If ~ is on the battlefield and untapped you may tap it, if you do you may put a card from your hand named ~ on the battlefield.
*/*

mystic1110
2013-12-09, 02:01 PM
Unlike TTN, Feng Sheng can lose protection if the opponent doesn't have a legendary creature. Powerful, yes. But it allows interaction unlike TTN because you can play around it easily.

LaZodiac
2013-12-09, 02:01 PM
@Binks: I don't know much about phrasing, but I think the correct phrase would be "~ is not Legendary when on the battlefield", and the phrasing for the no card limit is correct.

Binks
2013-12-09, 02:07 PM
@Binks: I don't know much about phrasing, but I think the correct phrase would be "~ is not Legendary when on the battlefield", and the phrasing for the no card limit is correct.
Basing my wording on the Brothers Yamazaki card from Kawigama. Not sure if that's the correct wording to use here, but it's the closest I can find. I really do want the creature to still be legendary (for the purposes of the legend-interacting stuff out there) but for you to be allowed to play any number, and that seems like the best wording I can find. Thanks.

Fable Wright
2013-12-09, 02:27 PM
Jrihab, Delusionist 1WUR
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
~ has protection from cards you don't own.
Whenever ~ attacks, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card into play blocking ~, then shuffle your library.
WUR: Untap ~ and remove it from combat.
3/2

onasuma
2013-12-09, 02:58 PM
She Who Spins Time 4BUG

Legendary Creature - Spider

Deathtouch, Reach

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may choose up to 2 permanents or suspended cards with a time counter on them. You may place or remove a time counter from those cards.

XBUG: Exile target permanent with X time counters on it. It gains suspend. X must be at least 1.

5/7

The_Tentacle
2013-12-09, 04:05 PM
She Who Spins Time 4BUG

Deathtouch, Reach

When ever you would add or remove time counters to a permanent or suspended card you own, you may add or remove an additional counter.

RUG: Exile ~ with 3 time counters on it. It gains suspend. You may activate this ability while ~ is the command zone.

5/7

I'm guessing you meant to put BUG for the mana cost of that last ability. As is, you wouldn't ever be able to use it.

Mystic Muse
2013-12-09, 04:40 PM
I'm guessing you meant to put BUG for the mana cost of that last ability. As is, you wouldn't ever be able to use it.

Actually, he could. A Commander's Color identity is all colors appearing in that cards rules text, so the commander is UBRG. Which would however disqualify it from the tournament.

onasuma
2013-12-09, 05:31 PM
Was meant to be BUG but I wouldnt say RUG would disqualify it. Its still a three coloured card.

Saposhiente
2013-12-09, 10:32 PM

Jrihab's only weakness short of board clear, Control Magic/etc: tokens? Also spells put on a stick. I'd use "permanents and effects" just because it doesn't make sense if it only protects against cards.

BUG: Exile ~ with 3 time counters on it. It gains suspend. You may activate this ability while ~ is the command zone.

Better wording is "Suspend 3 - BUG.
You may suspend ~ from the command zone."

Fable Wright
2013-12-09, 11:14 PM
Jrihab's only weakness short of board clear, Control Magic/etc: tokens? Also spells put on a stick. I'd use "permanents and effects" just because it doesn't make sense if it only protects against cards.

While unintentional... this makes him significantly more interesting. He can't be hurt directly by 'real' magic, e.g. a Lightning bolt cast by a magus: Only a fake copy of the real deal. Likewise, he can't be hurt by 'real' creatures: Only fakes conjured by magic that don't even leave bodies when they die.

onasuma
2013-12-10, 05:41 AM
Better wording is "Suspend 3 - BUG.
You may suspend ~ from the command zone."

But has an entirely different effect.

HypoSoc
2013-12-10, 11:46 AM
Xenoph the Excavator 2WUB
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem Scout - MR
When ~ enters your library from the battlefield, shuffle your library. Then, if ~ is still in your library, each player reveals and exiles the top card of their library until ~ is revealed. Put ~ onto the battlefield tapped and place all other cards exiled this way into their owner's graveyards.
When ~ would die, instead exile it and return one artifact from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control.
3/3

I don't really get why first strike would make my card insane.

Saposhiente
2013-12-10, 12:42 PM
But has an entirely different effect.
Whoops, didn't think about using it from the battlefield.

XBUG: Exile target permanent with X time counters on it. It gains suspend.
You probably want "X can't be zero," otherwise it's BUG: Exile target permanent, with the occasional 1BUG: Slow-flicker target permanent.

When ~ would die, instead exile it and return one artifact from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control.
Make sure to note that when their commander would be exiled (or die), players can instead send it to the command zone.

Fable Wright
2013-12-10, 02:57 PM
I don't really get why first strike would make my card insane.

Without first strike: Combat damage is assigned, some of your creatures may die, and then next turn on the snapback your opponent can't harm you.

With first strike: First strike combat damage, your opponent can't do combat damage until your next upkeep. Then regular combat damage, your creatures cannot be harmed. On the snapback, you and your creatures can't be harmed. Admittedly, it's not going to break the game as long as your opponent has removal, but Safe Passage every turn is insane.

~Corvus~
2013-12-10, 03:06 PM
Awesome! Glad people liked my idea!

Your next challenge is to Design a new 3 coloured. commander. The combinations are GWB, GWR, GWU, RWB, RUG, BUG, UWR, UBR, GBR and UWB. Because they are commanders, they can also have abilities that interact with or occur in the command zone, such as Oloro's ability.

If only it was 4-color =P

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-10, 03:30 PM
Skarsnik has been edited. Now, his goblin popper is when he enters the battlefield, and X is how much you payed for him.

On the other side, now your goblins get buffs if a lot of them attack at once. Even have a capstone one for if you manage to get a lot of goblins.

And it all the buff ends with the battlephase. Granted, 200+ goblins would be a near win anyway, unless you made Avatar of Hope industructable.

Mystic Muse
2013-12-10, 04:04 PM
Skarsnik has been edited. Now, his goblin popper is when he enters the battlefield, and X is how much you payed for him.

On the other side, now your goblins get buffs if a lot of them attack at once. Even have a capstone one for if you manage to get a lot of goblins.

And it all the buff ends with the battlephase. Granted, 200+ goblins would be a near win anyway, unless you made Avatar of Hope industructable.

Wouldn't matter. Annihilator will make them sacrifice at least 200 permanents, and even if it didn't, Trample doublestrike deathtouch means each Goblin is doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 damage each, unless your opponent has blockers with ungodly toughness.

Binks
2013-12-10, 05:06 PM
Skarsnik, Warlord of the Eight Peaks 2GBR
Legendary Creature- Goblin Warrior Lord- MR

When Skarsnik enters the battefeild, you may pay X. Make X 1/1 Red goblin creature tokens on the battlefield. X is equal to the mana cost to play Skarsnik.
Goblins you control have Battlecry
When at least five goblins attack, they gain First Strike. When at least ten goblins attack, they gain Trample. When at least twenty goblins attack, they gain Doublestrike. When at least fourty goblins attack, they gain Hexproof. When at least One hundred goblins attack they gain Deathtouch. When at least two hundred goblins attack they gain Annihilator 1. All effects are until the end of the battle phase.
"Skarsnik leads the goblins to overwhelming victory, through overwhelming numbers."
3/3

Just offering some friendly template/rules advice.

1. Lord is an obsolete creature type which isn't used anymore.

2. That first ability is a bit of a challenge to properly template. I would go with something like the following personally, but it's very hard to find a wording that works and does what you're going for here (based on the new Naya commander, who has a similar ability)
"When Skarsnik enters the battlefield you may pay an amount of colorless mana equal to the mana spent to cast it. If you do, put that many 1/1 red Goblin tokens on the battlefield."

3. That last ability doesn't fully work. The problem is that it is granting an ability whose trigger phase is before the ability resolves. In other words, by the time the goblins gain Annihilator, the game is past the point where it can trigger. If you want it to be conditional on attacking with 200 goblins you need to sort of, 'manually trigger' the Annihilator. I would suggest the following:
"During your combat phase if you attack with at least 5 Goblins they gain First Strike. If you attack with at least 10 Goblins they also gain Trample. If you attack with at least 20 Goblins they also gain Doublestrike. If you attack with at least 40 Goblins they also gain Hexproof. If you attack with at least 100 Goblins they also gain Deathtouch. If you attack with at least 200 Goblins then defending players must sacrifice a permanent for each Goblin attacking them. All effects from this ability last until the end of the combat phase."

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-10, 05:50 PM
Wouldn't matter. Annihilator will make them sacrifice at least 200 permanents, and even if it didn't, Trample doublestrike deathtouch means each Goblin is doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 damage each, unless your opponent has blockers with ungodly toughness.

Avatar of Hope can block an unlimited amount of attackers, and it's not like making something industructable is too hard.

And you forgot Warcry. Each other attacking goblin gets +1/+0 for each other attacking goblin.

And ya, should tone it down again.

Edit; It should also be noted that I'm building it for "token swarm" decks. Krenko would help kick this WAAAAAAGH!!! into overdrive. Also, goblins suck indivually. So how do they compensate? Overwhelming numbers.

On a small balancing side, it would take a while to build up the required number of goblins. And I doubled the numbers needed for each buff.

~Corvus~
2013-12-10, 05:58 PM
Avatar of Hope can block an unlimited amount of attackers, and it's not like making something industructable is too hard.

And you forgot Warcry. Each other attacking goblin gets +1/+0 for each other attacking goblin.

Edit; It should also be noted that I'm building it for "token swarm" decks. Krenko would help kick this WAAAAAAGH!!! into overdrive.

Annihilator is too much. Unless the person is running Hazezon or Esper Myr factories, I don't think its possible to live.

Fable Wright
2013-12-10, 05:58 PM

Edit; It should also be noted that I'm building it for "token swarm" decks. Krenko would help kick this WAAAAAAGH!!! into overdrive.
The problem is, forcing someone to sacrifice permanents overrides Indestructability. Indestructible only stops destroy effects and lethal combat damage. An Indestructable Avatar of Hope would be sacrificed just like the rest of the person's board. And, to boot, even if it did survive and blocked everything, the Goblins, having trample, would only have to assign a total of 9 damage to it (or, in this case, only 1 as they have Deathtouch), and could assign the rest to the player, as that's how trample works.

~Corvus~
2013-12-10, 06:00 PM
I'm calling color wheel breakage shenanigans on Grimsage Matt. :smalltongue:

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-10, 06:00 PM
Removed the sacrfice part before your posts oddly enough.

Anyway, I'll be looking through some abillities, see what might work. I ant it to capture the frenzied army feel, but not be totally overpowered.

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-10, 06:03 PM
I'm calling color wheel breakage shenanigans on Grimsage Matt. :smalltongue:

How:smallconfused: Granted, it's a lot more red then anything else, but wheres the breakage?

~Corvus~
2013-12-10, 06:08 PM
How:smallconfused: Granted, it's a lot more red then anything else, but wheres the breakage?

Deathtouch != red

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-10, 06:15 PM
It's also a Green and Black. In a funny note, goblins (according to mtgdeckbuilder.net) can come in Black, Green and Red. Heck, there are even White/Red and Blue/Red goblins out there.

But most of them are some mix of Black, Green and Red. So, a Goblin Warboss that grants his minions gifts from those fields when they attack en mass? Should fit.

~Corvus~
2013-12-10, 09:59 PM
Design a new 3 coloured. commander. The combinations are GWB, GWR, GWU, RWB, RUG, BUG, UWR, UBR, GBR and UWB. Because they are commanders, they can also have abilities that interact with or occur in the command zone, such as Oloro's ability.

Grushaff, Ana Master 1GUB

Legendary Creature - Volver Wizard

Flash.

When you cast Grushaff, Ana Master, tap up to X number of untapped creatures your opponents control, where X is the amount of mana used to cast Grushaff. Each creature then deals damage equal to its power to its controller.

XGGU, [t]: Creatures you control get +X/+X and Flying until end of turn.

3/2

onasuma
2013-12-11, 06:57 AM
It's also a Green and Black. In a funny note, goblins (according to mtgdeckbuilder.net) can come in Black, Green and Red. Heck, there are even White/Red and Blue/Red goblins out there.

Nah, its not particularly weird. Hobgoblins are part white (and my personal go to goblin deck) and it makes perfect sense in the background they have. Equally, the blue goblins are izzet experiements or phyrexian mutations, both making perfect sense.

HypoSoc
2013-12-11, 05:55 PM
Make sure to note that when their commander would be exiled (or die), players can instead send it to the command zone.

Um, that is part of the rules of commander. When a commander gets killed, an optional replacement effect occurs to exile it to the command zone. When it gets exiled by any means, it gets exiled to the command zone. There is no need to specifically note it.

Duck999
2013-12-11, 06:43 PM
I think what he meant was-you made it seem like exiling him instead of him going to the graveyard seemed like a drawback, which it can be in some cases, but not in most.
Also, you could just leave it in exile if you wanted, it is by no means necessary to send it to the command zone.

Blue Ghost
2013-12-12, 02:47 PM
Malvich Karr, Overseer of Courts - 2WUB
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor (M)
When a spell is countered, if Malvich Karr is on the battlefield or in your command zone, that spell's controller loses life equal to the spell's converted mana cost, and you gain that much life.
{X}: Counter target spell unless its controller pays {X}. X cannot be greater than the number of times Malvich Karr has been cast from the command zone. This ability may not target the same spell more than once.
3/4

Fable Wright
2013-12-12, 03:38 PM
When a spell is countered, if Malvich Karr is on the battlefield or in your command zone, that spell's controller loses life equal to the spell's converted mana cost, and you gain that much life.
{X}: Counter target spell unless its controller pays {X}. X cannot be greater than the number of times Malvich Karr has been cast from the command zone.
3/4

Problem with that last ability: You can just activate it multiple times to get the same effect. Maybe {1}: Counter target spell unless its controller pays {1}. Activate this ability a number of times per turn equal to the number of times Malvich Karr has been cast from the command zone.

~Corvus~
2013-12-12, 03:44 PM
Or activate this ability once per turn, keeping it simple

Duck999
2013-12-12, 06:08 PM
Activating once per turn makes it exponentially worse.......

HypoSoc
2013-12-12, 06:20 PM
Activate once per target?

Blue Ghost
2013-12-12, 08:05 PM
Activating once per target seems like the best solution. How would I word that?

The_Tentacle
2013-12-12, 08:31 PM
...how 'bout "Activate this ability only once per target."

Seems kinda obvious :smallconfused:.

Fable Wright
2013-12-12, 09:21 PM
...how 'bout "Activate this ability only once per target."

Seems kinda obvious :smallconfused:.

Except there is 0 precedent for any wording of the sort. The wording is stupidly vague and unintuitive.

One thing that might work is making it a tap ability, and have the card untap every time another player casts a spell, but that opens up other abuses...

~Corvus~
2013-12-12, 10:02 PM
X, Tap, counter target spell seems good. Ertai gets a tap to counter spell ability!

Blue Ghost
2013-12-12, 10:06 PM
Putting it as "This ability may not target the same spell more than once." That works, right?

Binks
2013-12-12, 10:08 PM
Activating once per target seems like the best solution. How would I word that?

"X: Counter target spell unless it's controller pays X. You may not target the same spell with this ability more than once." ? Seems like a legitimate wording (though I can't find any specific examples offhand) and does exactly what the normal ability does but once per spell with no tap/untap shenanigans.

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-12, 10:13 PM
Is Snarskink fine? Or should I make his command zone abillity a tap one?

That and I probly should expand the color of the tokens?

HypoSoc
2013-12-12, 10:58 PM
Command zone is basically just the exile zone for one card per commander deck. It cannot be tapped, untapped, targeted or really do anything. The only exception is you can have abilities that specifically allow use from the command zone. Other than that, its more like a card in your hand then a card on the field.

Misothene
2013-12-14, 05:33 AM
The Mighty Monarch 2WBR
Legendary Creature- Human Soldier
Flying, first strike
At the beginning of your upkeep, if The Mighty Monarch is in the command zone, put a 1/1 white, black and red Human Minion creature token onto the battlefield.
As The Mighty Monarch enters the battlefield, choose an opponent. Creatures you control can only attack that player and planeswalkers he or she controls.
Minion creatures you control get +1/+1 and attack each turn if able.
5/4
"Minions! ATTACK!"

Eternis
2013-12-14, 06:01 AM
Elise the Endless BWG
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman (MR)
Indestructible
~'s toughness is equal to the number of times ~ has been cast from the command zone.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ is in your command zone, you gain X life, where X is the number of times ~ has been cast from your command zone.
BWG, T: Target creature gains your choice of Persist or Undying until end of turn.
BBWWGG, Return ~ to the command zone: Each player returns to the battlefield all permanents in his or her graveyard that were put there from the battlefield this turn.
1/*

Lea Plath
2013-12-15, 12:26 PM
Last few hours before judging!

Lea Plath
2013-12-15, 07:36 PM
This should be fun!

Maelyn, Heart of the Twister XBRG
When Maelyn, Heart of the Twister enters the battlefield, it deals X damage to each other creature and each player.
"You said this town wasn't big enough for the both of us. I just made some room."
4/3

Couple of things.

First up, I'm not sure this creature fits BRG. I would rather see it in URG.

Next up, the X cost in its casting cost makes it a bit harder to grok. I feel that it would be better as a kicker cost or as something like Jeleva/Prossh, where the more you cast it, the bigger it gets.

I would also think it better if it was each other player, meaning you can always cast your command and have it be value, something you need in the format.

Other Legendary Creatures are Enchantments in addition to their other card types.
Other Legendary Creatures have "As long as your devotion to any color is less than five, this card is not a creature"
Just because they exist doesn't mean they are gods.
3/3

This is an interesting card. I like the idea of it, but the ability to shut down all other commanders is rather powerful and doesn't make for fun games.

The flavour potential on this one could be insane though.

Chief Inquisitor Terul 2RWU
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (M)
Haste, Vigilance
When ~ attacks, put two 1/1 white and red Soldier Tokens on the battlefield.
Tap two untapped Soldiers you control: Detain target permanent.
3/4
Law and Order has come to the City of Gates.

I find him a little boring, and the ability to shut down lands is a little over the top but all in all a solid card for a commander.

Jrihab, Delusionist 1WUR
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
Whenever ~ attacks, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card into play blocking ~, then shuffle your library.
WUR: Untap ~ and remove it from combat.
3/2

So this card has some interesting aspects to it, but is kind of confusing. Whose control does the creature enter under?

I'm guessing the goal of a deck built around this commander would be to fill your deck with creatures that damage their owners or cause them problems and use it that way.

The protection is interesting but you could just simply fill a deck with value equipment/enchantments and use him as an uninteractive beat stick.

She Who Spins Time 4BUG

Deathtouch, Reach

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may choose up to 2 permanents or suspended cards with a time counter on them. You may place or remove a time counter from those cards.

XBUG: Exile target permanent with X time counters on it. It gains suspend. X must be at least 1.

5/7

I like the time counters on permanents aspect of it. It feels right, a BUG creature off setting decay. However, interacting with suspended cards feels very RUG to me and slow flickering permanents feels very white.

Still a solid interesting card though.

Xenoph the Excavator 2WUB
Legendary Artifact Creature - Golem Scout - MR
When ~ enters your library from the battlefield, shuffle your library. Then, if ~ is still in your library, each player reveals and exiles the top card of their library until ~ is revealed. Put ~ onto the battlefield tapped and place all other cards exiled this way into their owner's graveyards.
3/3

This gave me a headache trying to grok. If it is tucked, you can mill people, but only if you tuck your commander. Which is confusing, cause tucking is a bad thing.
The wording is also making me unsure. I think you could have someone mills their deck just once this is tucked. I think the better way to do it is to reveal cards until you reveal the commander. And then each player mills until they have milled an amount equal to the number of cards revealed.

Grushaff, Ana Master 1GUB

Legendary Creature - Volver Wizard

Flash.

When you cast Grushaff, Ana Master, tap up to X number of untapped creatures your opponents control, where X is the amount of mana used to cast Grushaff. Each creature then deals damage equal to its power to its controller.

XGGU, [t]: Creatures you control get +X/+X and Flying until end of turn.

3/2

I don't get what makes this a volver really, as it doesn't share their traits. The first ability is a little powerful, while also being rather boring. It can just do lots of damage to players by casting your commander.

The second isn't so bad but feels eh. At least it is a good mana sink.

{X}: Counter target spell unless its controller pays {X}. X cannot be greater than the number of times Malvich Karr has been cast from the command zone. This ability may not target the same spell more than once.
3/4

I think that this card should be only when on the battlefield. Otherwise, you can simply win off a Dovescape. I also don't like the cheap repeatable counter. I would at least add some coloured mana to there.

The Mighty Monarch 2WBR
Legendary Creature- Human Soldier
Flying, first strike
At the beginning of your upkeep, if The Mighty Monarch is in the command zone, put a 1/1 white, black and red Human Minion creature token onto the battlefield.
As The Mighty Monarch enters the battlefield, choose an opponent. Creatures you control can only attack that player and planeswalkers he or she controls.
Minion creatures you control get +1/+1 and attack each turn if able.
5/4
"Minions! ATTACK!"

The name amused me, even if it doesn't quite fit with the game. I like that fact it does something in the command without being too insane and can easily support a weenie deck. The only attacking one opponent doesn't feel flavourful but it works, and nor does flying. All in all, not bad.

Elise the Endless BWG
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman (MR)
Indestructible
~'s toughness is equal to the number of times ~ has been cast from the command zone.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ is in your command zone, you gain X life, where X is the number of times ~ has been cast from your command zone.
BWG, T: Target creature gains your choice of Persist or Undying until end of turn.
BBWWGG, Return ~ to the command zone: Each player returns to the battlefield all permanents in his or her graveyard that were put there from the battlefield this turn.
1/*

Lot of text for a card. I don't think it needs the command zone casting to be good, the indestructible seems a little iffy and the toughness increases don't seem relevant or important.

The persist/undying is nice. I don't think you need to have the tap though. Maybe you can make that conditional on how many times she has been cast. However, for the return ability, I would reduce the cost a little and have you sacrifice a creature (give you a reason to give the commander herself persist). Maybe 4WBG with the X reduce for each creature that died this turn.

Skarsnik, Warlord of the Eight Peaks 3GBR
Legendary Creature- Goblin Warrior- MR

At the begining of your upkeep, if Skarsnik is in the command zone, make X black, green and red 1/1 goblin creature tokens in the battlefield. X is equal to the number of goblins in play.

Goblins you control have Battlecry.

During your combat phase if you attack with at least 10 Goblins they gain First Strike. If you attack with at least 20 Goblins they also gain Trample. If you attack with at least 40 Goblins they also gain Doublestrike. If you attack with at least 80 Goblins they also gain Hexproof. If you attack with at least 160 Goblins they also gain Deathtouch. All effects from this ability last until the end of the combat phase
3/3

OK. Some major problems with this.

First up, it doesn't do anything new or interesting. It rewards you for playing tribal goblins. That is it. Commanders should be the center piece of the deck, providing either a lot of value, a win con, or change the rules of the game in such a way as to make the game interesting. This doesn't do that.

Secondly, the wording is way off. May I suggest going on gatherer and looking for similar text before you write something or learning the rules and correct way of wording things.

Third, the command zone ability is just obscene. Every turn, doubling your goblins, in a tribe well equipped to swarm the field, is just insane.

Fourth, it is hard for players to grok, I found. You are adding potentially hundreds of triggers, tons of new abilities that make working out combat damage a pain and doesn't make any sense. Why do lots of attacking goblins become hexproof?

AND THE WINNER IS!

DMOFDARKNESS!

His card, while not perfect, creates a lot of interesting plays and mechanics while being flavourful.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-12-15, 07:40 PM
I can see trying to adjust mine to make it more valuable, but what's blue about dealing damage to everything? I was going for more of a mass destruction theme than a windy tapdown theme.

Congrats to the winner!

LaZodiac
2013-12-15, 07:47 PM
Awe, better luck next time. A shame my card was a little boring though. Glad you consider it's solid :smalltongue:

Congrats DM of Darkness!

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-15, 07:55 PM
Eh, to be honest, I've given up winning this thing. So, I'll be continuing in the Snarsink vien, by making homages to games or books I like.

And yes, he is Krenko minus the tap for the tokens. As for the Hexproof? That was to prevent an instant or abillity from stoping the goblin tidal wave.

Binks
2013-12-15, 07:56 PM
I think I got skipped again :smalltongue:. Wasn't going to win with this weird of an entry anyway, but just amuses me. Looking forward to the next challenge.

Deilire, the Many Faceted One [BUG color identity symbol, no mana cost]
Legendary Creature - Avatar Shapeshifter
(Nonexistant mana costs cannot be payed)
The "legend rule" does not apply to ~. A deck can have any number of cards named ~.
~'s power and toughness are equal to twice the number of permanents you control named ~.
1BUG: If ~ is in the command zone you may put it on the battlefield. If ~ is on the battlefield and untapped you may tap it, if you do you may put a card from your hand named ~ on the battlefield.
*/*

Lea Plath
2013-12-15, 08:17 PM
I think I got skipped again :smalltongue:. Wasn't going to win with this weird of an entry anyway, but just amuses me. Looking forward to the next challenge.

Odd and I am sorry. I thought I got them all. I double checked.

The card itself is interesting if hard to grok. My biggest issue is having a card being the commander and in the deck, due to mix ups and the like.

@Grimsage Matt. Krenko is limited by the fact you can answer him. He doesn't do it the turn he comes down without support. He can be killed. And he can be responsed too. This guy does it every turn for free when he isn't on the battlefield.

And in response to the trigger, they can just kill them all so hexproof wouldn't help. They would all be attacking creatures already.

Fable Wright
2013-12-15, 08:27 PM
For the next contest, design Winter. This could be an Instant or Sorcery representing a one-time act of Winter (a festival or a snowstorm, for example), an Enchantment that depicts superhumanly cold weather, a creature or planeswalker that is the living embodiment of winter or is in some way associated with winter conditions. Go nuts.

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-15, 10:10 PM
Canadian (W/G)(W/G)
Creature- Human C
T- Choose one; Prevent all damage from snow sources this turn, or counter target snow spell.
"Canadians know how to deal with winter."
1/3

My serious entry will be tomorrow, I just wanted to get this one out there.

Edit; And I'm from Toronto Canada, so eh.

HypoSoc
2013-12-15, 11:12 PM
Hemonas, The Icy Grip 3UU
Snow Planeswalker - Hemonas - M
+1: Put an ice counter on target creature. For each creature with an ice counter on it, ~ deals damage to that creature equal to the number of ice counters on it.
+0: Put an ice counter on target permanent, it cannot attack, block, or use activated abilities until the beginning of your next upkeep.
-7: Put an ice counter on up to three target permanents. Destroy all artifacts and creatures with ice counters on them. Gain control of all lands with ice counters on them. ~ deals 3 damage to all planeswalkers with an ice counter on them.

Saposhiente
2013-12-15, 11:39 PM
Song of Giving W(W/U)(W/G)
Enchantment R
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose an opponent.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a time counter on ~, then the chosen opponent chooses one: Put X 0/1 white and green creature tokens onto the battlefield under your control, or you gain X life, or you scry X; where X is the number of time counters on ~.
When ~ has 12 or more time counters on it, sacrifice it.

(If you don't think this qualifies as "winter", please tell me)

Ninjaman
2013-12-16, 03:12 AM
+0: Put an ice counter on target permanent, it cannot attack, block, use activated abilities, or be tapped for mana until the beginning of your next upkeep.

Tapping for mana is an activated ability.

Eternis
2013-12-16, 05:34 AM
Fimbulvetr 3GGG
Enchantment - R
All lands are snow lands.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 2/2 Green Wolf snow creature token with snow landwalk into play.
(Snow)(Snow): Snow creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
GG(Snow)(Snow): Put a 2/2 Green Wolf snow creature token with snow landwalk into play.

mystic1110
2013-12-16, 11:27 AM
Winter's Peace W
Enchantment U
When a player casts a spell, sacrifice Winter's Peace. If you do, counter that spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it into its owner's hand instead of into that player's graveyard.
When a player attacks with any amount of creatures, sacrifice Winter's Peace. If you do, untap all attacking creatures and remove them from combat.
Between the shadows / rocks and pine and birch and snow / desperate sunlight clings

The_Tentacle
2013-12-16, 12:51 PM
Winter's Grip {2SS}
Enchantment (R)
Vanishing 3
Whenever a player casts a red spell, remove a time counter from ~.
Whenever a player casts a snow spell, put a time counter on ~.
Non-snow permanents don't untap during their controller's untap step.
"Winter comes on quick 'round these parts. I wouldn't delay leavin' if I was you."

LaZodiac
2013-12-16, 02:02 PM
Giftgiver Fir - 4(W)(W)
Creature - Treefolk Cleric (R)
When ~ enters the battlefield, put three 0/1 Present creature tokens that are all colors onto the battlefield.
{X}, sacrifice a Present: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost X, reveal it, and add it to your hand. Shuffle your library afterward.
2/5

Duck999
2013-12-17, 03:03 PM
(Parenthesis means I added it in to explain things, it is not part of the card-except the snow, that is the mana cost.)
Jack (Frost), Physical Embodiment of Winter (Snow)(Snow)(Snow)(Snow)(Snow)
Legendary Creature-Human Elemental (How would that even work???) M
When ~ enters the battlefield put an ice counter on all permanents. Permanents with ice counters cannot attack or block, and their activated abilities cannot be activated.
4/2
(Try killing it with burn-all you need to draw is one mountain and a lightning bolt, or shock for that matter.:smallwink:)

Time for my real entry:

Retniw, Bane of Heat 3(Snow)(Snow)(Snow)
Legendary Snow Creature-Elemental M
Protection from red
When ~ enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep. put an ice counter on target permanent.
(Snow)(Snow)(Snow)(Snow)(Snow): Gain control of target non-red permanent with an ice counter on it.
(Snow)(Snow)(Snow): Destroy target red permanent with an ice counter on it.
Cumulative upkeep:(Snow)
Add the beginning of your first main phase each turn, add (1) to your mana pool for each age counter on ~.
And they thought the heat was bad enough.
4/5

If you hadn't noticed, his name is winteR backwards. The rest of him is just winter in general (mostly).

~Corvus~
2013-12-17, 03:38 PM
Breath of Frost 2U

Instant - Uncommon

Tap target permanent target player of your choice controls. Permanents tapped this way do not untap during their controller's next untap step.

Overload 7UU (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

If ~ is successfully cast for its overload cost, exile it from the game instead of putting it in your graveyard once it resolves.

Eternis
2013-12-18, 06:14 PM
Add the beginning of your first main phase each turn, add (Snow) to your mana pool for each age counter on ~.

Snow mana doesn't work like that, bro.
"Snow" is a sub-type of mana that applies when mana is produced by a "snow" permanent. Just change it to (1), and Retniw to a "Legendary Snow Creature", and she'll be right. Otherwise, it would be like adding a hybrid mana to your mana pool, which doesn't make sense.

Blue Ghost
2013-12-18, 08:21 PM
Selena, Maiden of Snow - 1WU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (M)
Creatures enter the battlefield tapped.
XXWU: Return X target nonland permanents to their owners' hands. Then, if at least one card was returned to your hand this way, transform Selena, Maiden of Snow.
2/2

///////

Selena, Winter's Fury (W/U)
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
When Selena, Winter's Fury attacks, exile target nonland permanent defending player controls.
When Selena, Winter's Fury leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to their owners' hands.
5/4

Ninjaman
2013-12-21, 06:16 AM
King of Frost - 4UUU
Legendary creature - Giant
Whenever King of Frost becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter that spell or ability unless its controller pays 2.
Permanents your opponents control enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever King of Frost attacks a player, tap all permanents that player controls.
6/6

Misothene
2013-12-25, 06:12 AM
Being of Permafrost 1GG
Legendary Snow Creature- Elemental MR
Snow mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.
Being of Permafrost gets +1/+1 for each snow mana in your mana pool.
1/1

Fable Wright
2013-12-25, 06:50 PM
Hemonas, The Icy Grip 3UU
Snow Planeswalker - Hemonas - M
+1: Put an ice counter on target creature. For each creature with an ice counter on it, ~ deals damage to that creature equal to the number of ice counters on it.
+0: Put an ice counter on target permanent, it cannot attack, block, or use activated abilities until the beginning of your next upkeep.
-7: Put an ice counter on up to three target permanents. Destroy all artifacts and creatures with ice counters on them. Gain control of all lands with ice counters on them. ~ deals 3 damage to all planeswalkers with an ice counter on them.
On the whole, the card is fairly balanced. You lock down a creature with his 0 ability until it has enough Ice counters on itself to destroy it, use his +1, rinse, and repeat, or just deal some damage to grind him up to his ultimate if you can defend him. My problem with it is that it's really breaking the color pie here. Blue very rarely does direct damage, and hasn't done so for years, and detaining non-creatures has only happened on multi-color cards in the past. This would fit much better if it cost 3WU, but as it is, it just breaks the color pie a bit too much.

Song of Giving W(W/U)(W/G)
Enchantment R
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose an opponent.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a time counter on ~, then the chosen opponent chooses one: Put X 0/1 white and green creature tokens onto the battlefield under your control, or you gain X life, or you scry X; where X is the number of time counters on ~.
When ~ has 12 or more time counters on it, sacrifice it.
So, the 12 days of Christmas as a card. I'm not sure why you restrict it to one opponent, when you could have easily done Cumulative Upkeep- Target Player chooses one: You gain 1 life, you put a 0/1 W/G (apparently untyped?) creature token onto the battlefield, etc. and made it cleaner. And you would be able to get gifts from more people, in a multiplayer game.

As it is, the benefits seem to be a bit too small. As it is, the control decks will just have you gain a bunch of life, the aggro decks will let you scry a lot (which could be pretty good, except for the fact that it takes 2-3 turns to dig to an appropriate depth for a wrath, which is a long time against aggro decks), and pretty much never get creatures outside of EDH when someone needs to keep you alive. I like the sentiment, but it just turned out a bit too weak.

Fimbulvetr 3GGG
Enchantment - R
All lands are snow lands.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 2/2 Green Wolf snow creature token with snow landwalk into play.
(Snow)(Snow): Snow creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
GG(Snow)(Snow): Put a 2/2 Green Wolf snow creature token with snow landwalk into play.
This seems to be really, really slow. It costs 6 to get out for the passive effect of turning all lands into snow lands, and then you get 1 Wolf that's Unblockable as long as you have Fimbulvetr out on your upkeep. And you can pay 4 mana to get another one. Sure, there's the pump effect, but aggressive Snow decks would probably rather play Overrun to win on turn 5 than wait 3 turns and 12 mana to get the same effect with no trample. It builds up over time, and would be killer in Limited, but pretty much nowhere else.

Winter's Peace W
Enchantment U
When a player casts a spell, sacrifice Winter's Peace. If you do, counter that spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it into its owner's hand instead of into that player's graveyard.
When a player attacks with any amount of creatures, sacrifice Winter's Peace. If you do, untap all attacking creatures and remove them from combat.
Between the shadows / rocks and pine and birch and snow / desperate sunlight clings
A balanced, White Standstill. I love it.

Winter's Grip {2SS}
Enchantment (R)
Vanishing 3
Whenever a player casts a red spell, remove a time counter from ~.
Whenever a player casts a snow spell, put a time counter on ~.
Non-snow permanents don't untap during their controller's untap step.
"Winter comes on quick 'round these parts. I wouldn't delay leavin' if I was you."
This seems terrible to play against. You spend at least 4 turns, probably more like 5 or 6, unable to untap if you don't have Snow lands. In Standard, this would warp the format extremely hard. In Modern, this is a one-card blowout against a huge number of decks that tap out every turn. In EDH, this puts the game to a standstill until someone draws enough lands to cast an Enchantment destruction spell. It's unfun and far too powerful.

Giftgiver Fir - 4(W)(W)
Creature - Treefolk Cleric (R)
When ~ enters the battlefield, put three 0/1 Present creature tokens that are all colors onto the battlefield.
{X}, sacrifice a Present: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost X, reveal it, and add it to your hand. Shuffle your library afterward.
2/5
Good flavor, and pretty well balanced. My only complaint is that the artifacts go to hand, and not to the battlefield, meaning you pay twice as much for nice, big presents, but other than that, a fine card.

Retniw, Bane of Heat 3(Snow)(Snow)(Snow)
Legendary Snow Creature-Elemental M
Protection from red
When ~ enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep. put an ice counter on target permanent.
(Snow)(Snow)(Snow)(Snow)(Snow): Gain control of target non-red permanent with an ice counter on it.
(Snow)(Snow)(Snow): Destroy target red permanent with an ice counter on it.
Cumulative upkeep:(Snow)
Add the beginning of your first main phase each turn, add (1) to your mana pool for each age counter on ~.
And they thought the heat was bad enough.
4/5
First off, that is way too much text. No way that would fit in a text box. Second, this card just seems to be Red hate that's far, far too good and which would take over EDH games very fast, as the control is permanent, hits anything, is repeatable, and can be run in any Snow-heavy deck. That's not good design in my book.

Breath of Frost 2U

Instant - Uncommon

Tap target permanent target player of your choice controls. Permanents tapped this way do not untap during their controller's next untap step.

Overload 7UU (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

If ~ is successfully cast for its overload cost, exile it from the game instead of putting it in your graveyard once it resolves.
Simple, and it works. My only complaint is that the text could be much simpler: Tap target permanent you don't control. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step. Much cleaner than what you have now, and the restriction that the full force of Winter only hits one player doesn't make much sense. Other than that, good design.

Selena, Maiden of Snow - 1WU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (M)
Creatures enter the battlefield tapped.
XXWU: Return X target nonland permanents to their owners' hands. Then, if at least one card was returned to your hand this way, transform Selena, Maiden of Snow.
2/2

///////

Selena, Winter's Fury (W/U)
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
When Selena, Winter's Fury attacks, exile target nonland permanent defending player controls.
When Selena, Winter's Fury leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to their owners' hands.
5/4
Solid. It would be pretty crazy in a W/U Affinity-style deck, with a bunch of free/very cheap/mana producing creatures where it would shine as removal and a sizeable beater, but the fact that it starts as an easily-killed 2/2 and costs 4 mana to activate balances that out quite a bit. Solid.

King of Frost - 4UUU
Legendary creature - Giant
Whenever King of Frost becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter that spell or ability unless its controller pays 2.
Permanents your opponents control enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever King of Frost attacks a player, tap all permanents that player controls.
6/6
So, when it attacks it makes creatures you control unblockable and immune to combat tricks while being hard to remove? While pretty good, it does cost 7 and only comes down in the lategame, so it evens out. The real thing that confuses me is why it has the Kismet effect. The only benefit it would have is to stop Haste-based counter attacks, but as they can untap as normal and swing in anyways, that doesn't seem like much of a concern. Other than that, it's not a bad card.

Being of Permafrost 1GG
Legendary Snow Creature- Elemental MR
Snow mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.
Being of Permafrost gets +1/+1 for each snow mana in your mana pool.
1/1
Snow Omnath. Not sure how much it affects his balance to make it 5 colors, but it makes it a royal pain to track in paper magic, and it's not an original idea, sorry.

3rd place, ~Corvus~'s Breath of Frost.
2nd place, Blue Ghost's Selena, Maiden of Snow
1st place, mystic1110's Winter's Peace.

LaZodiac
2013-12-25, 06:56 PM
Dangit, I was gonna have it get to the field instead of the hand, but after some reading I decided that would be too powerful. Ah well, good luck to the winners! Better luck next time for me and the others :smallamused:

~Corvus~
2013-12-25, 08:46 PM
Simple, and it works. My only complaint is that the text could be much simpler: Tap target permanent you don't control. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step. Much cleaner than what you have now, and the restriction that the full force of Winter only hits one player doesn't make much sense. Other than that, good design.[/SPOILER]

Actually, the idea of Overload is each "target" is turned into "each" so you can choose any player or players (your choice). Perhaps it wasn't clear enough. SO CLOSE

And well done mystic =)

mystic1110
2013-12-25, 10:00 PM
Woot! So last time I won I made the most complicated competition. This time lets do a simple competition.

Make a card with 6 words or less in the rules text.

Fable Wright
2013-12-25, 10:32 PM
Mark of Binding W
Enchantment - R
Creatures have protection from you.

LaZodiac
2013-12-26, 12:52 AM
Watcher of the Tower - 2WW
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Vigilance
{U}, {T}: Scry 2
His eyes are ever open, always searching, keeping Meletis safe.
1/3

Edit: finally figured out what the Blue/white polis of Theros is, so changed the flavor text slightly so as to more easily reflect it's meant to be from there.

Misothene
2013-12-26, 02:46 AM
Warrior Tyrant 4WBR
Creature- Ogre Warrior R
Haste, vigilance, deathtouch, provoke, first strike
2/6

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-12-26, 12:56 PM
Arcane Eddy 0 (colorless)
Instant - Arcane U

-
"What do the spirits see here that we don't?"
- Tamiyo, Proficient Scholar

Saposhiente
2013-12-26, 01:42 PM
I'd make that Rare just because it's an exclusively Johnny card, like One with Nothing (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=88817)

Grimsage Matt
2013-12-26, 01:48 PM
Brutal Ronin 4RB
Creature- Human Samurai R
Provoke, Bushido 5, First Strike, Trample
"While few can match his skills, even fewer can match his brutality to freind and foe alike."
4/5

~Corvus~
2013-12-26, 05:02 PM
Feral Iljask 2RGW

Creature - Beast - U

Haste, First Strike, Trample

4/3

Deleted, will repost new entry

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-12-26, 07:20 PM
I'd make that Rare just because it's an exclusively Johnny card, like One with Nothing (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=88817)

You think so? I know what you mean, but I was thinking that you'd have to print it in a set with a pile of splice cards either way.

Saposhiente
2013-12-26, 07:20 PM
Nullify 1G
Sorcery C
Target nonland permanent loses all abilities.

Like Naturalize except at sorcery speed and has more possible uses, but most of those uses aren't as good. You can depower creatures, but they're still creatures and can still hit you in the face for the same amount of damage. Anything you target can still be sacrificed or returned to hand, and it's strictly worse when targeting artifact creatures. In meta, Rare-B-Gone that doesn't actually reference card rarity, thus making it fit outside of Un-sets. It's a nice change of pace to design a common card, this competition doesn't have enough of those. Also is more in the spirit of the competition than all of the entries that just have a bunch of keywords; those keywords are just shorthands for a bunch of rules text after all, and that text would probably be put on the cards in the form of reminder text. Added bonus of countering all of those entries, except for this guy:

Feral Iljask 2RGW

Creature - Beast - U

Haste, Double Strike, Trample

4/3
This guy is way too good. It's Baneslayer Angel at uncommon.

You think so? I know what you mean, but I was thinking that you'd have to print it in a set with a pile of splice cards either way.
Compare Reach Through Mists (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=370506). In most circumstances short of combos you want to do quickly (hello again Johnny), that card is going to be better, making your card mostly a novelty for having no text.

Binks
2013-12-26, 08:08 PM
Mass Warding - 1WW
Enchantment - R
Creatures you control have Absorb 1 (If a source would deal damage to a creature you control, prevent 1 of that damage)
Simple can often be effective.

HypoSoc
2013-12-26, 08:34 PM
Mnesm, the Silence 3BBB
Planeswalker - Mnesm - MR
+1:(This ability does nothing)
-1: Destroy target creature.
-3: Destroy all creatures.

Saposhiente
2013-12-26, 11:54 PM
Mnesm, the Silence 3BBB
+1: Destroy target creature.

Dunno about balance (not so obvious for this mana cost) but this definitely seems super frustrating to play against. Turn it hits the board, you destroy all creatures (the standard way to kill planeswalkers), and then at that point they're probably only going to be able to play one creature per turn (if they had a bunch of cheap creatures, they would have played them by now) and if they do play them immediately then you can just kill them one at a time, and if they don't (saving to play multiple at once) then that gives you time to establish board control with your creatures. Unless they have red (haste or direct damage) then you get a probable immediate lockdown.

Misothene
2013-12-27, 12:40 AM
Nullify 1G
Sorcery C

This is pretty strong Planeswalker-kill... not sure if that was intended, definitely not something Naturalize can do...

Saposhiente
2013-12-27, 12:55 AM
This is pretty strong Planeswalker-kill... not sure if that was intended, definitely not something Naturalize can do...

Not an intended part of the design but a side effect of its Rare-B-Gone nature. I considered it during design, but given the existance of Dreadbore (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=270354) and Abrupt Decay (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Abrupt%20decay) at the same CMC I stand behind it.

Misothene
2013-12-27, 01:11 AM
Not an intended part of the design but a side effect of its Rare-B-Gone nature. I considered it during design, but given the existance of Dreadbore (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=270354) and Abrupt Decay (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Abrupt%20decay) at the same CMC I stand behind it.

Please note, both of those cards are black and rare; yours is neither.

Saposhiente
2013-12-27, 01:32 AM
Yes, and they both do things better than Nullify. Dreadbore is good because it's generic creature removal for 2; killing planeswalkers is just gravy. Abrupt decay is good because it's an uncounterable instant that can kill lots of different things. Planeswalker removal is just not very relevant in MtG; in casual, they're so rare you don't see them much, and in professional, they're still rarely seen because when they are good you were probably winning anyway. Timmies probably won't be happy, but you can't please everyone, especially when you're under constraints.

Lea Plath
2013-12-27, 02:17 PM
Crystalization of Gore -1RB
Sorcery - R
Target Creature gets -6/-6
Overload P/R P/R P/B P/B P/B RB

This was originally a hellbent card that gained overload when you were Hellbent. However, couldn't word it properly besides Hellbent - Overload and that doesn't work.

So it is now a sorcery speed 8 mana board wipe that has a phyrexian mana overload cost that costs 10 life or a fairly intensive mana cost.

~Corvus~
2013-12-27, 04:57 PM
Nullify 1G
Sorcery C

1G is too good for this. 1GG is much better for what it does.

AgentPaper
2013-12-27, 05:18 PM

A good comparison would be to compare it to Naturalize. An enchantment or artifact without abilities is as good as dead. Naturalize is instant speed and doesn't leave a body behind for artifact creatures, while Nullify has the advantage of being able to neutralize a wide variety of creatures as well.

Saposhiente
2013-12-27, 05:43 PM

See also what AgentPaper said, which is pretty much exactly what I said. I'd consider making it uncommon just because it can neutralize planeswalkers once in a blue moon, but this competition needs more commons. It could be moved up to 2G and instant speed (instant speed is a surprisingly big deal, see also Concentrate (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=271220) vs Jace's Ingenuity (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=205015) vs Tidings (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Tidings) vs Opportunity (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Opportunity), instant speed is valued at a whole card), but then it wouldn't be as exciting. In any case, look at your card first. Baneslayer Angel is a mythic rare which is slightly worse than your card (factoring in more difficult mana colors) and which sparked community outcry for being way too good.

HypoSoc
2013-12-27, 07:04 PM
Dunno about balance (not so obvious for this mana cost) but this definitely seems super frustrating to play against. Turn it hits the board, you destroy all creatures (the standard way to kill planeswalkers), and then at that point they're probably only going to be able to play one creature per turn (if they had a bunch of cheap creatures, they would have played them by now) and if they do play them immediately then you can just kill them one at a time, and if they don't (saving to play multiple at once) then that gives you time to establish board control with your creatures. Unless they have red (haste or direct damage) then you get a probable immediate lockdown.

This was a concern, but my thinking is that 6 mana mythic-rares have a tendency to dominate the battlefield, and there are quite a few methods of dealing with the pseudo-lockdown (hex proof, haste, permanent removal, indestructible, pro-black, direct damage, detaining effects, playing more than one creature, persist/undying, bouncing, enter/leave the battlefield effects, non-creature permanents, etc.), especially if players in the metagame know this card exists.

~Corvus~
2013-12-27, 07:05 PM
See also what AgentPaper said, which is pretty much exactly what I said. I'd consider making it uncommon just because it can neutralize planeswalkers once in a blue moon, but this competition needs more commons. It could be moved up to 2G and instant speed (instant speed is a surprisingly big deal, see also Concentrate (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=271220) vs Jace's Ingenuity (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=205015) vs Tidings (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Tidings) vs Opportunity (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Opportunity), instant speed is valued at a whole card), but then it wouldn't be as exciting. In any case, look at your card first. Baneslayer Angel is a mythic rare which is slightly worse than your card (factoring in more difficult mana colors) and which sparked community outcry for being way too good.

Interesting. I guess my understanding of the metagame is a bit shaky. But yeah, I can see that double strike is a bit too good XD

onasuma
2013-12-27, 07:42 PM
Pact of Divinity 3WWW

Enchantment Artifact - R

Creatures are indestructible.

Either everyone is a God, or no one is.

Jormengand
2013-12-28, 02:35 PM
Suicidal Command RRBB
Sorcery R
All creatures fight themselves.
This was not what Rakdos had meant by "Single combat," yet it amused him greatly.

Fable Wright
2013-12-28, 04:47 PM
This was a concern, but my thinking is that 6 mana mythic-rares have a tendency to dominate the battlefield, and there are quite a few methods of dealing with the pseudo-lockdown (hex proof, haste, permanent removal, indestructible, pro-black, direct damage, detaining effects, playing more than one creature, persist/undying, bouncing, enter/leave the battlefield effects, non-creature permanents, etc.), especially if players in the metagame know this card exists.

3BBB is the cost of Sorin Markov, and cheaper than the cost of Nicol Bolas. Your card is significantly better than both, being a Damnation stapled to a one-sided Abyss stapled to a time-delayed Damnation, all of which are notoriously powerful for mono-black. This is also heavily format-warping if what you're saying is true, as you would have to run those effects or fold to this guy in a creature deck.

Suicidal Command RRBB
Sorcery U
Target creature fights itself.
This was not what Rakdos had meant by "Single combat," yet it amused him greatly.

Kiku's Shadow (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74157) for an additional RR? Seems pretty bad.

AgentPaper
2013-12-28, 05:02 PM
Kiku's Shadow (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74157) for an additional RR? Seems pretty bad.

Well, technically it does twice it's damage to itself, but yeah it is a bit costly. 1RB would be fine, RB would be strong but still OK (probably rare at that point).

Saposhiente
2013-12-28, 05:24 PM
Even at RB it would be a worse Dreadbore that has some marginal uses for targeting your own creatures.

Jormengand
2013-12-28, 06:21 PM
Changed it to have slightly bigger implications...

HypoSoc
2013-12-28, 07:04 PM
3BBB is the cost of Sorin Markov, and cheaper than the cost of Nicol Bolas. Your card is significantly better than both, being a Damnation stapled to a one-sided Abyss stapled to a time-delayed Damnation, all of which are notoriously powerful for mono-black. This is also heavily format-warping if what you're saying is true, as you would have to run those effects or fold to this guy in a creature deck.
Eh, you are right, I'll change it.

The_Tentacle
2013-12-29, 12:07 PM
Strider of Strange Places {3}
Creature - Spirit (R)
Nonbasic landwalk
"The places he has been are only rivaled by the places he will be."
2/2

~Corvus~
2013-12-30, 04:12 PM
Iljask 1RGW

Creature - Beast - C

Haste, First Strike

3/5

Blue Ghost
2013-12-30, 09:40 PM
Decoy Doll 4
Artifact Creature - Doll (U)
Other permanents you control have hexproof.
The best defense is a good distraction.
0/1

~Corvus~
2013-12-30, 09:57 PM
Decoy Doll 4
0/1

That reminds me of the Standard Bearer (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=26783)s except much better =3

Saposhiente
2013-12-31, 12:49 AM
Decoy Doll 4
0/1

Such a great combo with itself. Vs control of course, but it's already a card that you sideboard in vs control.
Actually it's not superb because card disadvantage, but annoying.

Duck999
2014-01-01, 12:46 AM
Lord of Undeath 3BB
Creature-Skeleton Wizard
2BB::Regenerate all creatures you control.
And so the battle continued.
3/3

Fable Wright
2014-01-01, 11:21 AM
Undeath 3BB
Instant R
Regenerate all creatures you control.

Wrap in Vigor costs 1G and does the same thing. Golgari Charm can do 3 things, including this, and costs BG.

Androgeus
2014-01-03, 01:19 PM
Groupthink 3U
Instant
Target player draws two cards.
Overload 1U

HypoSoc
2014-01-04, 02:41 AM
Isn't judging due?

mystic1110
2014-01-04, 04:51 PM
onasuma

Pact of Divinity 3WWW

Enchantment Artifact - R

Creatures are indestructible.

Either everyone is a God, or no one is.

Not sure if this is over costed since it effects everyone. It could have been costed must more aggressively. Other than that it is very cool.

DMofDarkness

Mark of Binding W
Enchantment - R
Creatures have protection from you.

I really like this card - very interesting, but I am not sure of what to do with it. Maybe donate it? Good johnny card.

LaZodiac

Watcher of the Tower - 2WW
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Vigilance
{U}, {T}: Scry 2
His eyes are ever open, always searching, keeping Meletis safe.
1/3

Bonus points for including tap and mana symbol in the text as below the limit. The card itself it an excellent if a bit powerful common. I really like it.

Misothene

Warrior Tyrant 4WBR
Creature- Ogre Warrior R
Haste, vigilance, deathtouch, provoke, first strike
2/6

I really didn't like the approach to this challenge of just slapping down a whole bunch of abilities on a creature. That said this card is really good - just a destroy target creature each turn. . . and opponent can't attack with a non-flying creature. Good card. But a bit boring.

Dr.Gunsforhands

Arcane Eddy 0 (colorless)
Instant - Arcane U

-
"What do the spirits see here that we don't?"
- Tamiyo, Proficient Scholar

Super bonus points for having no text - unfortunately arcane cards are super parasitic. Would have loved for the card to actually exist though since it would mean that arcane would be more interesting.

Grimsage Matt

Brutal Ronin 4RB
Creature- Human Samurai R
Provoke, Bushido 5, First Strike, Trample
"While few can match his skills, even fewer can match his brutality to freind and foe alike."
4/5

Another provoke ability card, except this doesn't function as a defense card, but can act as a win con instead. Again good card, well balanced for its cost, but boring.

Saposhiente

Nullify 1G
Sorcery C

A common? Memory issues? Wish I gave you more words so you could have made it an aura.

Binks

Mass Warding - 1WW
Enchantment - R
Creatures you control have Absorb 1 (If a source would deal damage to a creature you control, prevent 1 of that damage)
Simple can often be effective.

Minus points due to the reminder text. . . but not really - people used protection and all that. So judging on ability alone I would say this is overcosted. Absorb 1 is weaker than just giving your creatures +1/+1

HypoSoc

Mnesm, the Silence 3BBB
+1:(This ability does nothing)
-1: Destroy target creature.

I like that you made a 6 word plansewalker, but I hate that its so powerful. . . even this version is a 6 mana damnation, that sticks around and rechargesor kills the next threat. He should have came in with 2 loyalty if you wanted to keep the ability scores the same. . .

Lea Plath

Crystalization of Gore -1RB
Sorcery - R
Target Creature gets -6/-6
Overload P/R P/R P/B P/B P/B RB

Confused about the overload cost. . . i'm assuming you wanted it to be 3 phrexian red and 3 phrexian black?

That said I like it a lot. . . efficiently a weak terminate, 4 life for a weak damnation or 12 life for a free weak damnation.

That said the way you wrote the cost looks like 2 phrexian red, 3 phrexian black, 1 red, and 1 black. . . which is a really ugly cost.

The_Tentacle

Strider of Strange Places {3}
Creature - Spirit (R)
Nonbasic landwalk
"The places he has been are only rivaled by the places he will be."
2/2

Nice simple, but not a rare. . . look at Dryad Sophisticate.

~Corvus~

Iljask 1RGW
Creature - Beast - C
Haste, First Strike
3/5

At first I was going to dismiss this a yawn worthy but then looked into it. . . surprised by the fact that their is no haste first strike only creature!!

It looks balanced and like a fun common.

Blue Ghost

Decoy Doll 4
0/1

Excellent card - I like it a lot. . . like people mentioned it acts like a flagbearer, which i wish they bring back.

Duck999

Lord of Undeath 3BB
Creature-Skeleton Wizard
2BB::Regenerate all creatures you control.
3/3

Assuming this is a rare, I think that is an excellent ability and well costed for a skeleton lord.

Androgeus

Groupthink 3U
Instant
Target player draws two cards.
Overload 1U
Wow! Well use of overload to make it work in reverse!!

Top 3

Androgeus - for clever use of Overload
DMofDarkness - for interesting johnny card I'm trying to figure out
Blue Ghost - for update on the flagbearer

Winner

Blue Ghost!!!!!

Grimsage Matt
2014-01-04, 05:17 PM
My orginal idea was a sorcery that exiled target non-land permenant with 7 or more words inIits rules text, and a overload option, but it would have had to many words:smallfrown:

As it is, as simple "the most agressive samuari around" didn't sound so bad.

Blue Ghost
2014-01-04, 05:36 PM
Awesome. Good job everyone, great entries all around. :smallsmile:

New contest: Design a Scheme card. Go!

LaZodiac
2014-01-04, 06:46 PM
I Bet You Thought You Had Me
Ongoing Scheme
Set this scheme in motion face down. When your life would hit zero, instead reveal this scheme. Target player chooses self or others. If that player chooses self, they lose 5 life and your life is set to 5. If that player chooses others, your other opponents lose 3 life and your life is set to 6. Then abandon this scheme.
"Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot that I'm supposed to die, not you."

mystic1110
2014-01-04, 07:47 PM
Join Me Or Die
Scheme
When you set this scheme in motion, target opponent may choose self or others. If a player chooses self, that player's life total becomes 5 and he or she joins your team. That player is now your teammate, and that player's former teammates are now that player's opponents. If a player chooses others that player's life total becomes 0. You may not set any other schemes in motion for the rest of the game.

Grimsage Matt
2014-01-04, 08:06 PM
The Capone has arranged everything
Ongoing Scheme

Whenever you or an opponet would shuffle their deck, you may instead place the cards in any order.
Your opponets play with their hands revealed
10; Shuffle target deck

"I arranged everything that happens, execpt free will of course, down to to quantum level before time was even thought of. I have seen all pasts, experience all possible presants, and comprehend the infinte paths of the future. You have the memory of a flea, the sight of a mole, and the vision of the blind."

HypoSoc
2014-01-04, 10:23 PM
Explosive Volcano Lair of Doom
Ongoing Scheme
Spells you play cost 1 less to cast.
Abandon all ongoing schemes: Deal 5 damage to each opponent and each creature they control.
Do you like what I've done with the place? I feel the colors add to the aura of death, fire, explosions, and doom.

Lea Plath
2014-01-05, 05:02 AM
I AM A GOD.
Scheme.
When you set these scheme in motion, put an X/X Colourless Avatar token with Annihilator Y and Shroud into play, where X is 40 minus your life total and Y is the number of players.
"MY WILL IS LAW. MY VOICE IS THUNDER. MY MAGIC IS UNSTOPPABLE. YOU WILL FALL!

Basically it is a scheme you want later in the game as things ramp up. The body itself is hard to deal with outside a board wipe, but that kind of fits the flavour. You need to do something really big to kill a god.

Mystic Muse
2014-01-05, 10:22 AM
Ongoing Scheme

Whenever you or an opponet would shuffle their deck, you may instead place the cards in any order.
10; Shuffle target deck

"I arranged everything that happens, execpt free will of course, down to to quantum level before time was even thought of. I have seen all pasts, experience all possible presants, and comprehend the infinte paths of the future. You have the memory of a flea, the sight of a mole, and the vision of the blind."

You know, if the Archenemy has any way of making their opponent shuffle their library, their opponent instantly loses. There is no way to come back from the Archenemy stacking your deck a certain way.

If you have any shuffle effects in your deck, and aren't the archenemy, you can't use any of them because they now make you instantly lose.

The archenemy could theoretically basically win with this as well, if they have even a single shuffle effect.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-01-06, 01:10 AM
So I Heard You Like Netrunner
Ongoing Scheme
Activate Play So I Heard You Like Netrunner's activated abilities only at any time you could cast a sorcery.
3: Put a card from your hand onto the battlefield face-down and put a loyalty counter on it. Treat this card as a planeswalker with no abilities.
2: Put a loyalty counter on target face-down planeswalker you control.
2: Reveal the face-up side of a face-down planeswalker you control. If the number of loyalty counters on it is equal to its converted mana cost, exile it and you gain that many Victory counters. Otherwise, it remains a face-down planeswalker.
When you have 10 Victory counters, you win the game.
A Beautiful, Toxic World
Scheme
When you set this scheme in motion, each player (including you) gains a poison counter. Then, for each poison counter on each player, you draw a card or gain 2 life.

YOU FACE JARAXXUS
Ongoing Scheme
When YOU FACE JARAXXUS enters the battlefield, your life total becomes 15.
At the beginning of each end step, you may deal 3 damage to target creature or player. If you target a creature with this ability, it deals damage equal to its power to you.
At the beginning of each end step, you may pay 3. If you do, put a 6/6 black Demon Devil token onto the battlefield.

Binks
2014-01-06, 10:27 AM
Taste the Darkness within
Scheme
When you set this scheme into motion you control target player's next turn. For that turn their creatures may attack their allies. That player gains an emblem with 'Creatures you control get +1/+1'.
"I have need of an apprentice to my power...and you might just be the most promising candidate."

~Corvus~
2014-01-06, 02:53 PM
Your Pathetic Attempts
Ongoing Scheme

When you set this scheme in motion, you may pay XX. Put X+1 number of counters on this Scheme.

Whenever a spell played by an opponent targets you or a permanent you control, if there are counters left on this scheme, counter that spell and exile it, then remove a counter from this scheme.

Spells with the same name as cards exiled by this Scheme can't be played by your opponents.

Jormengand
2014-01-06, 03:50 PM
You missed my card. :smallfrown:

Anyway, new thing:

Final Act
Ongoing Scheme

You may only have one scheme named Final Act in your scheme deck.

When you set this scheme in motion, if there are any other scheme cards in your deck, abandon this scheme and put it at the bottom of your scheme deck. Otherwise, all opponents lose life equal to your life total. Then, if you didn't just win the game, you lose the game.

Whether I win, or I die, this is the end of the battle. Did you have fun? It might be the last fun you ever have.

Ionbound
2014-01-06, 04:07 PM
I'll give this a shot. Never played Magic before, so my terminology and formatting might be a bit off.

Arise, my Children
Ongoing Scheme

When you set this scheme in motion, you may pay X. If you do, choose up to X creature cards from your opponents' graveyards and put each of them onto the battlefield under your control with an undeath counter on it. Whenever a source an opponent controls causes you to lose life, abandon this scheme and sacrifice each creature you control with an undeath counter on it.

My children are hungry, and you'll make an excellent meal.

Binks
2014-01-06, 04:29 PM
Final Act
Ongoing Scheme

When you set this scheme in motion, if there are any other scheme cards in your deck, abandon this scheme and put it at the bottom of your scheme deck. Otherwise, all opponents pay life equal to your life total. Then, if you didn't just win the game, you lose the game.

Whether I win, or I die, this is the end of the battle. Did you have fun? It might be the last fun you ever have.
One note, you probably want to change 'pay life' to 'lose life'. Pay has the issue that anyone whose life total is lower than yours does nothing (118.4) so only people with more life than you lose any. As currently worded you automatically lose unless each opponent has the same life total as you, as anyone with more life is still in the game, and anyone with less life doesn't have to pay, which I don't think is the intention.

Jormengand
2014-01-06, 04:45 PM
One note, you probably want to change 'pay life' to 'lose life'. Pay has the issue that anyone whose life total is lower than yours does nothing (118.4) so only people with more life than you lose any. As currently worded you automatically lose unless each opponent has the same life total as you, as anyone with more life is still in the game, and anyone with less life doesn't have to pay, which I don't think is the intention.

Huh, good point. Thanks.

Mystic Muse
2014-01-06, 04:54 PM
I'll give this a shot. Never played Magic before, so my terminology and formatting might be a bit off.

Arise, my Children
Ongoing Scheme

When you set this scheme in motion, you may pay X. If you do, put X number of creatures from your opponents' graveyards onto the battlefield under your control. Abandon this scheme if the opponent reduces your life total. If this scheme leaves the field, destroy all creatures summoned by this scheme.

I'd say, other than that it should be "Sacrifice all creatures summoned by this scheme", this is pretty good.

Jormengand
2014-01-06, 05:16 PM
I'd say, other than that it should be "Sacrifice all creatures summoned by this scheme", this is pretty good.

I'd probably also put "An opponent reduces your life total," but that's just clarification. Otherwise looks okay.

"X number of creatures" might also want to be "X creatures" or "Up to X creatures." I mean, "2 number of creatures" doesn't really make sense.

But I'm sure I've done something similar, so ehh.

Ionbound
2014-01-06, 05:38 PM
Alright, I edited it a bit. Look good now?

Jormengand
2014-01-06, 06:14 PM
Alright, I edited it a bit. Look good now?

I'd still make it "...put up to X creatures..." to stop it telling you to do something you can't do.

Ionbound
2014-01-06, 06:57 PM
Well, you pay a variable amount of mana. Why would you pay more mana than creatures you want?

Mystic Muse
2014-01-06, 07:13 PM
Well, you pay a variable amount of mana. Why would you pay more mana than creatures you want?

The problem is, the way the game works (And this didn't occur to me due to being tired earlier) is that, if any of your targets are removed (Such as one of the graveyards being removed from the game by a card's effect) then the entire effect now does nothing. If you use "Up to" then one graveyard being removed still lets the other creatures be valid targets.

Misothene
2014-01-06, 08:29 PM
Arise, my Children
Ongoing Scheme

When you set this scheme in motion, you may pay X. If you do, put X creatures from your opponents' graveyards onto the battlefield under your control. Abandon this scheme if an opponent reduces your life total. If this scheme leaves the field, sacrifice all creatures summoned by this scheme.

Mystic Muse's note on the "up to" language is incorrect; if a spell or ability has multiple targets, the spell or ability will resolve as long as at least one of the targets is still legal, affecting only the legal ones.

Note, though, that this ability doesn't target as you've worded it, but the change is still marginally relevant. If you paid 5, and one of the 5 creatures in your opponents' graveyards is a Phage the Untouchable (a creature that would immediately kill you upon entering the battlefield), then you would probably only want 4. While you would probably have only paid 4 in the first place, the "up to" wording would give a chance in the case of such an accident for a player to say "whoops, I don't actually want to kill myself with Phage" when the ability resolves.

As for the rest of the wording, this scheme would be impossible to remove, since "an opponent" can never be technically responsible for changing your life total, only sources they control. Also, schemes are never "on the battlefield." Here is how I would suggest the rules text:

"When you set this scheme in motion, you may pay X. If you do, choose up to X creature cards from your opponents' graveyards and put each of them onto the battlefield under your control with an infestation counter on it. Whenever a source an opponent controls causes you to lose life, abandon this scheme and sacrifice each creature you control with an infestation counter on it."

The stuff with the counter is just to help with memory issues caused by the original wording. If it takes your opponents several turns to deal damage to you, it could be difficult to remember which creatures you stole.

Ionbound
2014-01-06, 10:07 PM
Mystic Muse's note on the "up to" language is incorrect; if a spell or ability has multiple targets, the spell or ability will resolve as long as at least one of the targets is still legal, affecting only the legal ones.

Note, though, that this ability doesn't target as you've worded it, but the change is still marginally relevant. If you paid 5, and one of the 5 creatures in your opponents' graveyards is a Phage the Untouchable (a creature that would immediately kill you upon entering the battlefield), then you would probably only want 4. While you would probably have only paid 4 in the first place, the "up to" wording would give a chance in the case of such an accident for a player to say "whoops, I don't actually want to kill myself with Phage" when the ability resolves.

As for the rest of the wording, this scheme would be impossible to remove, since "an opponent" can never be technically responsible for changing your life total, only sources they control. Also, schemes are never "on the battlefield." Here is how I would suggest the rules text:

"When you set this scheme in motion, you may pay X. If you do, choose up to X creature cards from your opponents' graveyards and put each of them onto the battlefield under your control with an infestation counter on it. Whenever a source an opponent controls causes you to lose life, abandon this scheme and sacrifice each creature you control with an infestation counter on it."

The stuff with the counter is just to help with memory issues caused by the original wording. If it takes your opponents several turns to deal damage to you, it could be difficult to remember which creatures you stole.

Alright. Like I said in the original post, I've never actually played Magic so I'm not all that well versed with how the wording works. Thanks for the help.

Mystic Muse
2014-01-08, 08:14 PM
Desolation Comes Upon the Sky.

When you set this scheme in motion, for each opponent, exile up to one target permanent that player controls. Each player loses life equal to the converted mana cost of the permanent they controlled.

I see fire inside the mountain. I see fire burning the trees. I see fire hollowing souls. I see fire, blood in the breeze.

Blue Ghost
2014-01-12, 12:22 AM
It is time! (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=212581)

LaZodiac:

I Bet You Thought You Had Me
Ongoing Scheme
Set this scheme in motion face down. When your life would hit zero, instead reveal this scheme. Target player chooses self or others. If that player chooses self, they lose 5 life and your life is set to 5. If that player chooses others, your other opponents lose 3 life and your life is set to 6. Then abandon this scheme.
"Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot that I'm supposed to die, not you."
I like this. The idea of face down schemes is very flavorful and can lead to a lot of fun if thereís a sufficient number printed. This one is quite the nasty surprise, and very in character for an archvillain. My only concern is that it may be overly complicated, and there can be a disconnect if there isnít the right number of heroes. Other than that, itís great. :smallsmile:

mystic1110:

Join Me Or Die
Scheme
When you set this scheme in motion, target opponent may choose self or others. If a player chooses self, that player's life total becomes 5 and he or she joins your team. That player is now your teammate, and that player's former teammates are now that player's opponents. If a player chooses others that player's life total becomes 0. You may not set any other schemes in motion for the rest of the game.
The problem with this is that once this scheme goes off, the game is no longer Archenemy. Either the game becomes a variant of two-headed giant, or the archenemy loses his schemes and one of the players has to sit out of the game. When I head into an Archenemy game, I expect to be playing Archenemy, not be forced into a different game because of a random scheme pull.

Grimsage Matt:

Ongoing Scheme

10; Shuffle target deck

A single scheme that lets you control the entire rest of the game? No.

HypoSoc:

Explosive Volcano Lair of Doom
Ongoing Scheme
Spells you play cost 1 less to cast.
Abandon all ongoing schemes: Deal 5 damage to each opponent and each creature they control.
Do you like what I've done with the place? I feel the colors add to the aura of death, fire, explosions, and doom.
I like the idea of an ongoing scheme that you can abandon for a greater effect. But I feel like this one is overpowered. 5 damage to each creature and a one-sided board wipe? Thatís a lot stronger than any of the existing schemes.

Lea Plath:

I AM A GOD.
Scheme.
When you set these scheme in motion, put an X/X Colourless Avatar token with Annihilator Y and Shroud into play, where X is 40 minus your life total and Y is the number of players.
"MY WILL IS LAW. MY VOICE IS THUNDER. MY MAGIC IS UNSTOPPABLE. YOU WILL FALL!
Compared to other creature-making schemes like Look Skyward and Despair, this one is significantly more powerful. Sure, it whiffs early game when you havenít taken any damage, but so do a lot of schemes. Even a 1/1 with annihilator is a significant threat, and when youíve taken more damage, this one can single-handedly end games.

Dr. Gunsforhands:

A Beautiful, Toxic World
Scheme
When you set this scheme in motion, each player (including you) gains a poison counter. Then, for each poison counter on each player, you draw a card or gain 2 life.

Assuming a standard 3-on-1 archenemy game and no other poison cards, the first pull of this scheme will draw you 4 cards, and the second one will draw you 8. If you have an infect deck, the card draws will get ridiculous. Compare Your Puny Minds Cannot Fathom, which draws four cards and is widely considered one of the best schemes. This one is simply too powerful.

Binks:

Taste the Darkness within
Scheme
When you set this scheme into motion you control target player's next turn. For that turn their creatures may attack their allies. That player gains an emblem with 'Creatures you control get +1/+1'.
"I have need of an apprentice to my power...and you might just be the most promising candidate."
Ooh, a Mindslaver scheme. Twists the rules a bit, and the power level is somewhat hard to evaluate. But definitely an interesting idea.

~Corvus~:

Your Pathetic Attempts
Ongoing Scheme

When you set this scheme in motion, you may pay XX. Put X+1 number of counters on this Scheme.

Whenever a spell played by an opponent targets you or a permanent you control, if there are counters left on this scheme, counter that spell and exile it, then remove a counter from this scheme.

Spells with the same name as cards exiled by this Scheme can't be played by your opponents.
Iím not sure about this one. On the one hand, itís very flavorful. On the other, it might be extremely frustrating to play against.

Jormengand:

Final Act
Ongoing Scheme

When you set this scheme in motion, if there are any other scheme cards in your deck, abandon this scheme and put it at the bottom of your scheme deck. Otherwise, all opponents lose life equal to your life total. Then, if you didn't just win the game, you lose the game.

I donít think this scheme actually works as written, as schemes put in motion go back into your scheme deck, so youíll never be able to actually put this in motion. If it did work as intended, Iím not sure if itís playable. Itís a guaranteed dead draw the first time you flip it, and after 20 turns have passed, itís really hard to predict whether this card would win you the game or completely screw you over.

firedaemon33:

Arise, my Children
Ongoing Scheme

When you set this scheme in motion, you may pay X. If you do, choose up to X creature cards from your opponents' graveyards and put each of them onto the battlefield under your control with an undeath counter on it. Whenever a source an opponent controls causes you to lose life, abandon this scheme and sacrifice each creature you control with an undeath counter on it.

A pretty interesting twist on a pretty standard idea. Can be devastating or can flop utterly, depending on when you draw this and what decks youíre playing against.

Mystic Muse:

Desolation Comes Upon the Sky.

When you set this scheme in motion, for each opponent, exile up to one target permanent that player controls. Each player loses life equal to the converted mana cost of the permanent they controlled.

I see fire inside the mountain. I see fire burning the trees. I see fire hollowing souls. I see fire, blood in the breeze.
Not bad. A solid scheme, pretty flavorful and balanced. I donít quite get why from a flavor standpoint the permanent is exiled rather than destroyed. Other than that, solid, if a bit unoriginal.

And the winner is:
LaZodiac, with I Bet You Thought You Had Me! You had me indeed.

LaZodiac
2014-01-12, 01:29 AM
Woohoo! I won! Now...lets see what the contest can be...ah yes, I know!

In twoish weeks, the dual coloured Gods from Theros are being released. My contest for you guys is "create a dual coloured God". You'll be judged not just on the card itself, but how the cycle of dual coloured Gods would appear, based on your card.

To explain this contest a bit more, assume I put this contest up for the regular mono color Gods, and someone put up what Heliod's card is. It has the indestructibility, the devotion to make it a creature, a Lord ability, and an activated ability. That would sort of set the stage for what the God cycle would be. I want you to do the same with your dual colour God card.

Also note that you can use any of the established Theros dual color Gods for this, or make your own.

Ionbound
2014-01-12, 01:51 PM
Skorpios, The Slayer of Heroes
2BBUU
Legendary Enchantment Creature-God

Indestructible
If your combined devotion to Blue and Black is less than 6, ~ is not a creature.
Creatures you control have Deathtouch
T, B/U: Deal two damage to your opponent.
2/1

The hunter crushed his foe with his great club, but it was too late: he had already been stung.

HypoSoc
2014-01-12, 03:05 PM
Aspial, the Life Giver 3W/G
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God - Mythic
Indestructible
If your devotion to white or your devotion to green is less than 3, ~ is not a creature.
At the beginning of each end step, if you gained life this turn, put a 2/2 green Dryad enchantment creature token onto the battlefield.
1W: Target creature gains Lifelink until end of turn.
3/8

Fable Wright
2014-01-12, 03:24 PM
Pharika 3BG
Legendary Enchantment Creature- God
Deathtouch, Indestructible
As long as your devotion to Black or your devotion to Green is less than 3, Pharika isn't a creature.
At the beginning of each end step, return a creature that died this turn from the graveyard to its owner's hand. If Pharika is a creature, instead return it to the battlefield.
3/8

mystic1110
2014-01-12, 05:11 PM
Iretel, Goddess of Alliance 2WR
Enchantment Creature - God M
Indestructible
As long as you have no devotion to black, green or blue Iretel isn't a creature.
White and Red spells cost BGU less to cast (For example, if you cast a spell with mana cost 2WBG, it costs 2W to cast.)
5/5

~Corvus~
2014-01-12, 05:11 PM
Your creatures have Deathtouch

Minor nitpick here, but this should be reworded to creatures you control have deathtouch. Otherwise it can be open-endedly interpreted to be either creatures you control, creatures you own or both.

Grimsage Matt
2014-01-12, 05:32 PM
Khorne 4BBRR
Legendary Enchantment Creature- Demon God MR

Industructible, Haste, Hexproof, Deathtouch
As long as your devotion to red or black is less then 8 ~ is not a creature
Monstrous Creatures you control have Hexproof
Creatures you control have "So long as ~ is monstrous, ~ has; B- ~ gains a +1/+1 counter and fights target creature"
RRRR- Target creature you control gains monstrous X. X is equal to your devotion to red
"Blood for the Blood God!!! Skulls for the Skull Throne!!!"
8/8

I could probobly make it more badass, but it's looking fine.

~Corvus~
2014-01-12, 05:56 PM
The only creatures you may control must have the Beast, Demon, Knight, Samurai or Warrior types.

What about Human, Deserter, Barbarian, Rebel and Dauthi?

Grimsage Matt
2014-01-12, 06:04 PM
No idea what a Dauthi is. Will add the Barbarian and Rebel though. Human knight, Elf Warrior, Ogre Samurai, all warriors serve Khorne. So mtg wise, they have to be fighters of some kind.

And lore wise, he hates deserters and those who flee from combat.

Fable Wright
2014-01-12, 06:18 PM
The only creatures you may control must have the Beast, Demon, Knight, Samurai or Warrior types

How exactly does that work in game terms?

Grimsage Matt
2014-01-12, 06:34 PM
If it's not one of the allowed types? You can't play it and must sacrifice any forbidden cards already in play.

Elvish Warrior is allowed, Elvish Visionary is not.

Fable Wright
2014-01-12, 06:37 PM
If it's not one of the allowed types? You can't play it and must sacrifice any forbidden cards already in play.

Elvish Warrior is allowed, Elvish Visionary is not.

You have to spell it out on the card. The game rules and average person have no clue what that phrase means.

~Corvus~
2014-01-12, 06:51 PM
No idea what a Dauthi is. Will add the Barbarian and Rebel though. Human knight, Elf Warrior, Ogre Samurai, all warriors serve Khorne. So mtg wise, they have to be fighters of some kind.

Dauthi are ex-humans whose souls have now been trapped by the Shadows between the worlds of Dominiara and Rath (the former being the place where Volrath Invaded with Phyrexians, and Karn ascended to a Planeswalker, and the latter world where crazy stuff happened, among them Slivers). The Dauthi were able to see both worlds, and could move between them freely, but couldn't communicate with others, and thus went crazy.

Khorne might like them.

Duck999
2014-01-12, 07:53 PM
@Grimsage

Creatures cannot simply gain minstrous. It would need to be monstrous x with cost of y.