PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card II: Wrath of Karn

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Fortuna
2014-02-27, 12:46 AM
Temporary Insanity 1URR
Instant - MR
Take an additional turn after this one. Target opponent controls you during that turn. (That player can see all cards you can see and makes all decisions for you.)

This is potentially rather broken in multiplayer games.

Power Surge 3RR
Enchantment - R
Whenever a player casts a spell with at least one target, they may pay 2. If they don't, copy that spell and then reselect the targets of both the spell and its copy at random.

reaverb
2014-02-27, 01:04 AM
Shattered Time 2UU

Enchantment

At the beginning of the end step, randomly choose a player and the Beginning Phase, the Precombat Main phase, or the Combat phase. The chosen player takes an extra turn after this one. That player skips every phase of that turn except the chosen phase and the Ending phase.

Fable Wright
2014-02-27, 01:06 AM
Shattered Time 2UU

Enchantment

At the beginning of the end step, choose a player and the Beginning Phase, the Precombat Main phase, or the Combat phase at random. The chosen player takes an extra turn after this one. That player skips every phase of that turn except the chosen phase and the Ending phase.

What is this "Beginning Phase" of which you speak? Untap step? Upkeep? Draw?

Misothene
2014-02-27, 01:41 AM
Crazed Lifebringer WBRG
Creature- Wurm R
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player puts a random permanent card from his or her graveyard onto the battlefield.
"Most wurms leave destruction in their wake. Is this better?"
Field notes, Society for Meaningful Mortality
5/4

Saposhiente
2014-02-27, 01:50 AM
looking at a card in a library (top,bottom,random)

Public Discovery 0
Sorcery U
Reveal the top card of your library. Put it into your hand.

AgentPaper
2014-02-27, 02:27 AM
@ Saposhiente: Fair warning, your entry does not meet the requirements, as despite getting a random card, drawing a card is a clear non-random action.

One of the examples of randomness you gave was "looking at a card in a library (top,bottom,random)". Why would looking at the top card of your library count as random, but drawing it is not?

Blue Ghost
2014-02-27, 02:50 AM
Berserkers' Brawl -3GR
Sorcery - R
Choose a creature at random. Destroy all other creatures, then put 3 +1/+1 counters on the chosen creature.
The Gruul compete to prove their strength of arms. The blood shed by the fallen buys the glory of the victor.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-02-27, 06:50 AM
Song of Destruction WBR

Sorcery - R

Shuffle your library, then reveal the top card. Destroy all non-land permanents with the same converted mana cost as the revealed card. Then put the revealed card on the bottom of your library. If no permanents were destroyed this way, you may repeat this process, up to two more times.

Added a maximum number of times this can be used, to prevent time-wasting loops when there are no non-land permanents in play, or when there are no cards in the player's library with the same CMC as a card in play.

Lady Serpentine
2014-02-27, 10:20 AM
Dark Lament - B/P BB W/P WW
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put target creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control with a number of time counters on it equal the CMC of the last card you drew.

At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from each creature put onto the battlefield in this way. If a creature put onto the battlefield by Dark Lament has no time counters on it, exile it.

Binks
2014-02-27, 10:33 AM
Goblin Game Cannon - 2R
Artifact - R
{1}: Put a charge counter on ~
{1R} {T}: Remove all charge counters from ~, roll a d6. ~ does damage to target creature equal to the result plus the number of charge counters removed from this card. If the damage dealt is 10 or more sacrifice ~ and it does 2 damage to each creature you control.
"Step right up and try your luck! Every light's a winner, some just more than others!"

HypoSoc
2014-02-27, 01:11 PM
One of the examples of randomness you gave was "looking at a card in a library (top,bottom,random)". Why would looking at the top card of your library count as random, but drawing it is not?

I had meant basing randomness off of looking at the top card (such as clashing). The looking itself is not random,nor is drawing (for example,card does different things if bottom card of library is a basic land)

Fortuna
2014-02-27, 02:53 PM
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put target creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control with a number of time counters on it equal the CMC of the last card you drew.

At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from each creature put onto the battlefield in this way. If a creature put onto the battlefield by Dark Lament has no time counters on it, exile it.

This uses hidden information, which as I understand it is considered bad practice. I would instead say...

"At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. Put target creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control with a number of time counters on it equal to the converted mana cost of that card."

Goblin Game Cannon - 2R
Artifact - R
{1R} {T}: Remove all charge counters from ~, roll a d6. ~ does damage to target creature equal to the result plus the number of charge counters removed from this card. If the damage dealt is 10 or more sacrifice ~ and it does 2 damage to each creature you control.
"Step right up and try your luck! Every light's a winner, some just more than others!"

How does this interact with Furnace of Rath (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=205268) and similar effects? As written, it appears that Furnace of Rath makes it much, much easier to lose the cannon. I'd also like to note that without Furnace of Rath, this seems quite strong - d6 averages to 3.5 damage, after all, and it is fairly cheaply repeatable.

Binks
2014-02-27, 03:16 PM
How does this interact with Furnace of Rath (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=205268) and similar effects? As written, it appears that Furnace of Rath makes it much, much easier to lose the cannon. I'd also like to note that without Furnace of Rath, this seems quite strong - d6 averages to 3.5 damage, after all, and it is fairly cheaply repeatable.
Furnace part seems legit. If something is making everything more powerful (more explosive for the cannon) then it makes sense for it to go off easier.

PL-wise I used Arms Dealer as a reference point, as it seemed the closest card I found in a quick search. I matched the pricing (2R to play, 1R to use) but gave it tapping and random damage instead of sacrificing (similar average damage though)

Overall I feel the lack of consistency, since it's creature-only, is a big drawback that necessitates a lower overall cost. Yes it's 1R to do, on average, 3.5 damage to a creature once per turn but it has a pretty good chance to completely bomb out and do too little damage, in which case you can't use it again that turn because it tapped. If you try to make it consistent by charging it (increasing the cost in the process) you run the risk of it exploding in your face.

It's the kind of card where you can get lucky and kill the 6/6 for 1R, or unlucky and waste 1R pinging a 2/2 you wanted to get out of the way. Since you don't know how much damage it's going to do when you target you end up in situations where you might do enough to kill it, or you might just ping it. On average, sure, you can pop a ?/3 for 1R every turn (and up to a ?/6 on average for 4R without any risk of a detonation...unless your opponent has proliferate and incredible luck :P) but you can't count on it working.

It might be a bit pushed, but I don't think it would set any format on fire because it's too random to be OP. That's my opinion at least.

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-27, 04:54 PM
Storm God's Wrath URG
Sorcery- MR
Choose one at Random-Return all creatures to their owners' hands, Deal 3 damage to each creature without flying and each player, or destroy all creatures with flying.
Anger the Lord of Lightning and you'll die. The only question is how.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-27, 05:23 PM
This is potentially rather broken in multiplayer games.

If by, "broken," you mean, "still incredibly risky but much more fun for all involved," then yes.

Saposhiente
2014-02-27, 06:02 PM
The looking itself is not random,nor is drawing

[One example that works] is clashing
So what you're saying is, if both players do something that is not random (by your definition), and you compare results, it becomes random?

mystic1110
2014-02-27, 06:08 PM
Submit to the Mob 3RR
Sorcery - R
Choose a player at random. That player chooses another player and controls that players next turn. (That player sees all cards that player could see and makes all decisions for that player.)
"Free will is an illusion - everything we do is determined by our chemistry, our environment, and most unfortunately, the whims of lesser men."

Fable Wright
2014-02-27, 06:11 PM
So what you're saying is, if both players do something that is not random (by your definition), and you compare results, it becomes random?

Anything that deals with the attributes of the cards (CMC, type, subtype, power/toughness if you dig for a creature, etc.) being used to determine the results of an effect is what he's trying to say. The act of gaining information about or access to the cards isn't random, but using the values to mediate an uncertain result is.

HypoSoc
2014-02-27, 08:12 PM
What DMofDarkness said.

The effect of the card is different based on some random input. Drawing a card is an action an not random. Looking at the top card of your library and destroying all permanents that share a type with it is random. The card for the contest has to be effected by the random input for it to be legal.

Clashing works because the card has a different effect based on some input you do not control.

reaverb
2014-02-27, 08:18 PM
What is this "Beginning Phase" of which you speak? Untap step? Upkeep? Draw?All of the above. (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Beginning_phase)

Lady Serpentine
2014-02-27, 08:42 PM
This uses hidden information, which as I understand it is considered bad practice. I would instead say...

"At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. Put target creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control with a number of time counters on it equal to the converted mana cost of that card."

If anyone thinks you're cheating, they can always call over a judge, or, in casual play, demand to see the last card you drew.

Revealing the top card of your library is a completely different effect, which is out of color pie for Black and White, as I recall, and not an intended result of playing this - it's a notable drawback for some decks, making it painfully overcosted, while for others revealing the top card of their library every turn would be worth playing this on its own.

Fable Wright
2014-02-27, 08:52 PM
If anyone thinks you're cheating, they can always call over a judge, or, in casual play, demand to see the last card you drew.

Revealing the top card of your library is a completely different effect, which is out of color pie for Black and White, as I recall, and not an intended result of playing this - it's a notable drawback for some decks, making it painfully overcosted, while for others revealing the top card of their library every turn would be worth playing this on its own.

Er, what? You're revealing the card on your upkeep, right before you draw it. It isn't granting any hidden or secret information. Black is (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=157973) particularly (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370413) notorious (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=378452) for (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=204979) revealing (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366310) the top card of their library imminently before it's put in hand.

Also, Vampire Nocturnus does have you play with the top card of your library revealed. Enduring Renewal has you play with your hand revealed, and requires you to reveal every card you draw. It's a perfectly reasonable mechanic to use.

Also, no, random_person is right. If it's hidden information, you can't use it. You would need a judge hovering over your shoulder each draw step you use this card, which is unfair to the judges, to the players who keep calling them, and I'm 80% sure it isn't legal by game rules and 100% sure it would never pass Design and Development.

Fortuna
2014-02-27, 08:58 PM

Revealing the top card of your library at the beginning of your upkeep will, excepting instant-speed draws or the like, effectively mean "reveal the card you're about to draw".

I suppose since you have it delayed a turn, it's harder to template, but even so, using hidden information as a key element of a card seems like bad design to me. It's also impossible to detect cheating, short of watching the last card that a player drew and keeping track of which of the cards in their hand it is, since it's delayed by a turn - and if you call over a judge, that judge will be unable to detect the cheating unless they watched the previous draw.

EDIT: Cursed ninjas! I knew I should have blocked.

Lady Serpentine
2014-02-27, 09:01 PM
Er, what? You're revealing the card on your upkeep, right before you draw it. It isn't granting any hidden or secret information. Black is (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=157973) particularly (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370413) notorious (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=378452) for (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=204979) revealing (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366310) the top card of their library imminently before it's put in hand.

Also, Vampire Nocturnus does have you play with the top card of your library revealed. Enduring Renewal has you play with your hand revealed, and requires you to reveal every card you draw. It's a perfectly reasonable mechanic to use.

Also, no, random_person is right. If it's hidden information, you can't use it. You would need a judge hovering over your shoulder each draw step you use this card, which is unfair to the judges, to the players who keep calling them, and I'm 80% sure it isn't legal by game rules and 100% sure it would never pass Design and Development.

Ah, I see. Sorry, must have gotten the phases mixed up - my impression was that one would be drawing, then you'd hit upkeep, and thus be revealing the card you would draw next turn, which is something I'm more familiar with as a Blue mechanic.

And my point isn't that the mechanic itself is bad; it's that it throws off the balance of the card by introducing a drawback to it it wasn't designed to have.

In this case, though, you're right that it seems to be a necessary one, so I'm going to go back to the drawing board here, but I'm not sure I like it, so I'll probably do something else, whether in terms of how it works or a new card.

Duck999
2014-02-27, 09:50 PM
my impression was that one would be drawing, then you'd hit upkeep, and thus be revealing the card you would draw next turn, which is something I'm more familiar with as a Blue mechanic.

Turn order is: Untap, upkeep, draw, main 1, combat main 2, end. So yeah, upkeep between untap and draw.

AgentPaper
2014-02-27, 09:55 PM

It technically works, yes, but as he said it's very bad practice. If players need to call a judge every time your card is played, that's a big problem.

Saposhiente
2014-02-28, 12:05 AM
The effect of the card
Which card you end up having in your hand

is different based on some random input.
The order of cards in your library

Drawing a card is an action an not random.
It's exactly as random as revealing the top card of your library; there are just more possible outcomes.

Looking at the top card of your library and destroying all permanents that share a type with it is random.
Yes. So is drawing Novablast Wurm (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Novablast+wurm) while you have Lightning Greaves (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=247337) on the board.

The card for the contest has to be effected by the random input for it to be legal.
My cards are affected by random input. The point is, Magic has randomness inherent to it, and if you want to exclude "draw a card" then you should come up with a better definition of what this restriction is.

Fable Wright
2014-02-28, 12:28 AM
My cards are affected by random input. The point is, Magic has randomness inherent to it, and if you want to exclude "draw a card" then you should come up with a better definition of what this restriction is.

Rather than continue this debate, I'm just going to point out that arguing over the semantics of how the competition is phrased to allow a card that the judge has already decided that he disfavors for at the very least not following the spirit he intended for the competition usually doesn't end up productive for anyone.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-28, 01:42 AM
Ooh! I've got it!

Laplace's Demon 3UBB
Legendary Creature - Demon MR
Players play with their hands and libraries revealed. (Each card in each player's library is laid out face-up in order.)
If a library would be shuffled, it is instead not shuffled.
Flying
"The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the, 'old one.' I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice."
- Albert Einstein
6/6

Eternis
2014-02-28, 03:24 AM
Maxwell's Familiar 3BBR
Creature - Demon (R)
Whenever a player flips a coin, put an Entropy counter on ~.
0: Flip a coin. If heads, you lose two life and add B to your mana pool. If tails, target opponent gains 3 life and you add R to your mana pool. Any player may activate this ability.
T, Remove X entropy counters from ~: Add X to your mana pool. You may flip X coins. If you do so, put a 1/1 black avatar creature token into play under your opponent's control for each heads, and a 1/1 red avatar creature token into play under your control for each tails.
2/3

onasuma
2014-02-28, 09:42 AM
Slave of the Tide 3UU
Creature - Clamfolk U
At the beginning of your upkeep, roll a die then consult the below table.
On a 1 return ~ to its owners hand.
On a 2 ~ gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
On a 3 ~ gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
On a 4 ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
On a 5 ~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
On a 6 ~ gets +3/+3 and islandwalk until end of turn.
Almost as bad as the good old days.
3/3

Lea Plath
2014-02-28, 09:48 AM
Chaos Bleeds 2WRB
Enchantment
At the beginning of each upkeep, flip a coin. On heads, destroy a permanent at random. On tails, exile a permanent at random.
"Everything bleeds. This just makes reality bleed as well"

Saposhiente
2014-02-28, 11:02 AM
Chaos Bleeds 4WRB
Enchantment
At the beginning of each upkeep, flip a coin. On heads, destroy a permanent at random. On tails, exile a permanent at random.

Power Surge 3RR
Enchantment - R
Whenever a player casts a spell with at least one target, they may pay 2. If they don't, copy that spell and then reselect the targets of both the spell and its copy at random.

Berserkers' Brawl -3GR
Sorcery - R
Choose a creature at random. Destroy all other creatures, then put 3 +1/+1 counters on the chosen creature.

Tibalt's Vexing Sparks XR
Instant - C
~ deals 2 damage to a random creature. Then repeat this X times.
A little madness goes a long way. Sometimes the wrong way.:

These cards target random permanents that might be tokens; how are the players to conduct the randomization?

LaZodiac
2014-02-28, 11:08 AM
These cards target random permanents that might be tokens; how are the players to conduct the randomization?

Coin flip where heads is "this guy takes damage"

Rolling a die with as many sides as there are creatures.

Using a random selection device on the internet and such.

There are very many ways to do it, and yes it is really clunky, but that's not my fault :smallamused:

Jormengand
2014-02-28, 12:45 PM
Coin flip where heads is "this guy takes damage"

Rolling a die with as many sides as there are creatures.

Using a random selection device on the internet and such.

There are very many ways to do it, and yes it is really clunky, but that's not my fault :smallamused:

Not to mention shuffling all permanents of the correct type in play.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-28, 01:23 PM
Not to mention shuffling all permanents of the correct type in play.

These cards target random permanents that might be tokens...

Most people do not have a pile of the actual token cards lying around, and my experience is that cards and bottle caps do not shuffle together very well. :smalltongue:

Fortuna
2014-02-28, 01:29 PM
When I get to play in person, and Tyrant of Discord comes into play, we generally shuffle together all permanents of the appropriate type plus lands to represent tokens.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-28, 01:49 PM
When I get to play in person, and Tyrant of Discord comes into play, we generally shuffle together all permanents of the appropriate type plus lands to represent tokens.

That works. I was going to say, "but what if the lands are also potential targets???," but you can find random cards from outside the game to use, too.

Fortuna
2014-02-28, 02:41 PM
Chaos Bleeds 4WRB
Enchantment

I think this is overcosted. Even in the best-case scenario (you're running lots of recursion specifically to deal with all the permanents blowing up) it's exiling instead of destroying half the time. If I'm paying seven mana for an enchantment that's destroying things, I'd like at least some assurance that it'll get me an advantage - unless you're running a permanent-light field of indestructible or easily-recovered things, this is just going to do nothing too often to be worth its cost.

Binks
2014-02-28, 03:06 PM
Particularly since it has the same odds of dealing with a threatening permanent your opponent controls as it does of exiling itself the first upkeep after you cast it :smalltongue:.

Fortuna
2014-02-28, 03:28 PM
Particularly since it has the same odds of dealing with a threatening permanent your opponent controls as it does of exiling itself the first upkeep after you cast it :smalltongue:.

Hey! That's not true!

It has the same odds of dealing with a threatening permanent your opponent controls as it does of destroying or exiling itself the first upkeep after you cast it. :smalltongue:

Ionbound
2014-02-28, 03:33 PM
Here's one:

The Demon's Door - BBRR

Artifact - R

T: Flip a coin. If the coin comes up heads put a +1/+1 on target creature an opponent controls. If the coin comes up tails put a -1/-1 on that creature instead.

T, BR: Choose an opponent. ~ does X damage to that opponent or target creature that opponent controls where X is equal to the total number of -1/-1 counters on creatures that opponent controls minus the total number of +1/+1 counters on those creatures. If X is less than 0 instead that opponent gains life equal to the difference between X and 0.

Imagine a Demon, sitting next to a door... - Beginner's Guide to Demonology

This is probably horribly worded and really clunky, so if you guys could give me tips on cleaning it up, I'd appreciate it.

Binks
2014-02-28, 03:49 PM
The Demon's Door
Trying my hand at templating the two abilities. Made as few functional changes as possible (non-zero as the written form has some ambiguity that has to be clarified for a template). I'm fairly certain these are valid templates, though that second ability is big because it wants to do so much (if it was just creatures, or didn't have the 'gain life' clause, it would be a much simpler template).

{T}: Flip a coin. If the coin comes up heads put a +1/+1 on target creature an opponent controls. If the coin comes up tails put a -1/-1 on that creature instead.
{B}{R} {T}: Choose an opponent. ~ does X damage to that opponent or target creature that opponent controls where X is equal to the total number of -1/-1 counters on creatures that opponent controls minus the total number of +1/+1 counters on those creatures. If X is less than 0 instead that opponent gains life equal to the difference between X and 0.

Ionbound
2014-02-28, 03:58 PM
Thanks! I'll update the wording.

Duck999
2014-02-28, 10:22 PM

Think of it as not that impossible. Wizards made a card (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=368964) that does random that can affect tokens.

Fortuna
2014-02-28, 10:37 PM
Think of it as not that impossible. Wizards made a card (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=368964) that does random that can affect tokens.

And another (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=276194).

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-28, 11:12 PM
The Demon's Door - BBRR

Artifact - R

T: Flip a coin. If the coin comes up heads put a +1/+1 on target creature an opponent controls. If the coin comes up tails put a -1/-1 on that creature instead.

T, BR: Choose an opponent. ~ does X damage to that opponent or target creature that opponent controls where X is equal to the total number of -1/-1 counters on creatures that opponent controls minus the total number of +1/+1 counters on those creatures. If X is less than 0 instead that opponent gains life equal to the difference between X and 0.

This is probably horribly worded and really clunky, so if you guys could give me tips on cleaning it up, I'd appreciate it.

I think that coin-flip cards refer to, "if you win the flip," rather than one side or the other now. So, the first ability would say something like, "Choose target creature an opponent controls and flip a coin. If you win the flip, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature."

EDIT: To be fair, that's just a super-nitpick.

The second ability can be phrased a bit more easily, too: "Target opponent gains life equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on creatures he or she controls. Then, demon's door deals damage to that player equal to the number of -1/-1 counters on creatures he or she controls."

EDIT: To be fair, this is functionally different in a way you may well have been trying to avoid.

Fortuna
2014-02-28, 11:27 PM
I think that coin-flip cards refer to, "if you win the flip," rather than one side or the other now. So, the first ability would say something like, "Choose target creature an opponent controls and flip a coin. If you win the flip, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature."

The second ability can be phrased a bit more easily, too: "Target opponent gains life equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on creatures he or she controls. Then, demon's door deals damage to that player equal to the number of -1/-1 counters on creatures he or she controls."

Your wording on the second ability interacts funnily with damage prevention or increasing. I would say instead that player loses life, for less odd interactions.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-28, 11:44 PM
Your wording on the second ability interacts funnily with damage prevention or increasing. I would say instead that player loses life, for less odd interactions.

I was actually about to phrase it that way, but I wanted to avoid functionally changing how the card worked. Life loss is usually a mono-black mechanic while damage is more red.

Fortuna
2014-03-01, 12:36 AM
I was actually about to phrase it that way, but I wanted to avoid functionally changing how the card worked. Life loss is usually a mono-black mechanic while damage is more red.

Well, either way changes how the card works - it's simply a question of which way we want to change it. :smallwink:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-01, 01:49 AM
Fair enough... I think I overlooked how my version technically involves making them gain life more than usual, too, which could interact with a bunch of other effects differently.

Lady Serpentine
2014-03-01, 03:07 AM
I'm curious; why 'target creature an opponent controls'? If you want to risk it, it seems fair that you should be able to hit your own things.

Same thing with the second ability, though I guess I can kinda see how it might be break Unleash decks a little bit; still, no worse than the combination with Wither and Infect even as it is...

The_Tentacle
2014-03-01, 09:27 PM
Mad Scientist's Lab
Land
{Tap}: add 1 to your mana pool.
{3}: choose one of the following randomly. Any player may activate this ability as a sorcery no more than once each turn.
1) Draw 3 cards, then discard 2.
2) Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature you control.
3) Put two -1/-1 counters on target creature you control.
4) Sacrifice a permanent.
5) Target opponent sacrifices a permanent.
6) Put an 8/5 Mutant Horror creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
7) Put an 8/5 Mutant Horror creature token onto the battlefield under target opponents control.
8) Destroy all permanents.
"It's all completely under control. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?"

Yeah, it's REALLY long. But hey, if I wanted to put this on a card, I wouldn't have put this on a card!

Lady Serpentine
2014-03-02, 10:00 AM
Resubmitting, with the suggested changes.

Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the card on top of your library, then put target creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control with a number of time counters on it equal the converted mana cost of the revealed card.

Ionbound
2014-03-02, 02:55 PM
Fair enough... I think I overlooked how my version technically involves making them gain life more than usual, too, which could interact with a bunch of other effects differently.

Yeah, the weirdness that could ensue is something I don't want to deal with, and I think it works fine as is, so I'm leaving it alone.

I'm curious; why 'target creature an opponent controls'? If you want to risk it, it seems fair that you should be able to hit your own things.

Same thing with the second ability, though I guess I can kinda see how it might be break Unleash decks a little bit; still, no worse than the combination with Wither and Infect even as it is...

Because then, the way this is worded, if you flipped a +1/+1, you could put it on your own, and if you flipped a -1/-1, you could put it on your opponent: A win-win. And I don't really want to mess with it because then you'd be affecting the flavor and stuff. As for the second ability, yeah, it might break a few specific decks a little, but it's fine.

Lady Serpentine
2014-03-02, 04:37 PM
Ummmm. Do correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that you pick the target for a spell when you activate it, then resolve what the effects are, assuming that it's a legal target. Which would mean that having you be able to target any creature would only mean you could choose to take the same risk as an opponent.

As for flavor... Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a door to a demon that makes deals with anyone who comes through, some good, some not, sounds like. How is that flavor impacted poorly, at all, by you being able to try to deal with your own demon? :smallconfused:

AgentPaper
2014-03-02, 05:13 PM
Ummmm. Do correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that you pick the target for a spell when you activate it, then resolve what the effects are, assuming that it's a legal target. Which would mean that having you be able to target any creature would only mean you could choose to take the same risk as an opponent.

As for flavor... Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a door to a demon that makes deals with anyone who comes through, some good, some not, sounds like. How is that flavor impacted poorly, at all, by you being able to try to deal with your own demon? :smallconfused:

I believe that the way it works is, you activate the ability, which doesn't target anything but instead just causes you to flip a coin. Then, depending on which face came up, you create one of two abilities which is handled separately. You choose the target only after one of those abilities goes on the stack. if someone knows for sure, though, that'd be helpful.

Anyways, a better way to word it if you want to to work how C'nor describes would be:

T: Choose a target creature, then flip a coin. If you win, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature. Otherwise, put a -1/'-1 counter on that creature.

Ninjaman
2014-03-02, 05:50 PM
Vorpal blade - 3
Artifact - Equipment - M
Equiped creature gets +1/+1
Whenever equiped creature deals combat damage to another creature, flip a coin, if you win the flip, exile that creature.
Equip 3
Sometimes it cleaves stuff in twain, the rest of the time... it still does... 'cus you know... sword.
- Tikgrig, Goblin Relic Merchant

Misothene
2014-03-02, 05:59 PM
I believe that the way it works is, you activate the ability, which doesn't target anything but instead just causes you to flip a coin. Then, depending on which face came up, you create one of two abilities which is handled separately. You choose the target only after one of those abilities goes on the stack. if someone knows for sure, though, that'd be helpful.

Things don't really work that way in Magic. If the ability targets something (using the word "target") you must choose that thing when you activate the ability or cast the spell. Then some sequence of events can occur- the alternative wording AgentPaper provided is the one that would be used. If you want the controller to be able to choose the creature on resolution rather than when activating the ability, you would have to say "choose a creature" and never use the word target. This has the side effect of getting around shroud, hexproof, and protection.

The only instance where a separate spell or ability would be created would be something like Izzet Guildmage or Meletis Charlatan, which actually create copies of spells which go on the stack when their abilities resolve. They still need to choose a single spell to target when they activate their abilities.

Androgeus
2014-03-04, 10:04 AM
Unstable Personality 1RU
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant creature
At the beginning of the upkeep of enchanted creature's controller, enchanted creature becomes a copy of another random creature until end of turn.

I wanted to make it basically do a swap the two creatures but with copying, but I don't think that technology exists. (well you could make a temp token to hold the values of one the targets so you can overwrite it, but that's too complex for a normal game of magic)

Fable Wright
2014-03-04, 10:49 AM
Unstable Personality 1RU
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant creature
At the beginning of the upkeep of enchanted creature's controller, enchanted creature becomes a copy of another random creature until end of turn.

I wanted to make it basically do a swap the two creatures but with copying, but I don't think that technology exists. (well you could make a temp token to hold the values of one the targets so you can overwrite it, but that's too complex for a normal game of magic)

"At the beginning of the upkeep of the enchanted creature's controller, choose another creature at random. Enchanted creature and selected creature become copies of the other until end of turn."

It might work. You don't have to do a computer science swap; the game rules try to be somewhat intuitive and helpful to the designers nowadays.

HypoSoc
2014-03-05, 03:03 PM
Tibalt's Vexing Sparks XR
Instant - C
~ deals 2 damage to a random creature. Then repeat this X times.
A little madness goes a long way. Sometimes the wrong way.

This card looks very fun,especially when you dump a ton a mana into it. As creatures die, and get removed from being targets,it gets more consistent.Since it gets past shroud,this feels like an expensive wrath, or a "Do I Feel Lucky" card. My biggest issue is that it should NOT be a common.

Helix Fossil 3
Legendary Artifact- Fossil
At the beginning of your upkeep, if it isn't an extra turn, take an extra turn after this one.

If you would try to play a card from your hand, instead exile a card at random from your hand face-up. You must play it if you are able to.

If you would choose the targets of spells or abilities, instead choose targets at random.

At the beginning of each attack step, flip a coin for each creature you control. Each creature's coin who comes up heads attacks this turn if able. Each creature's coin who comes up tails blocks this turn if able.
"PRAISE HELIX"
PRAISE HELIX! Unfortunately, my problem with this card is that it essentially removes a player from the game.Sure they can chose whether or not to try to cast cards, and use activated abilities, but this almost turns the game into solitaire. Extra turns do not make up for the penalty.

Magic Coin 2
Artifact U
T: You may flip a coin. If you win the flip, you may continue to flip coins until you lose a flip.
The coin was designed to settle debacles between the guilds, but it caused more disputes than it solved.
If this did absolutely anything but enable chance encounter, it might have done better.

Hidden Powers 2UU
Enchantment R
Exile the top card from each players library face down. Whenever a player casts a spell from their hand, they exile that card face down. Then, that player chooses one card exiled by this card other than the cast card. Flip a coin. On a heads, cast that card if able. If there are ever less than 2 cards exiled by this card, exile the top card of each players library face down.
Should be "win the flip" not heads. I assume you mean that it gets cast for free, and removed from exile when cast, even if the casting fails. This does not cover lands that get exiled. So this is like knowledge pool and shared fate and such in craziness. I like it, but it doesn't look like a winner.

Goblin Nuke 7
Legendary Artifact MR
Goblin Nuke goes from the battlefield to the graveyard, or Sacrifice Goblin Nuke; Flip a coin. If heads, destroy all creatures. If tails, exile all permenants.
Goblin Nuke ignores any abillity or spell that would negate its effect
"The ultimate example goblin craftsmanship. And the final one."I assume you meant that the effect occurs either when you sacrifice it (which you can do at instant speed) or when it is destroyed. The flip should be win/lose not heads/tails. I dislike how the goblin nuke cannot fizzle, since both effects wrath, but the Total Annihilation of ALL Permanents is a very scary boom.

Temporary Insanity 1URR
Instant - R
Take an extra turn after this one. Target opponent controls you during that turn. (That player can see all cards you can see and makes all decisions for you.)
I would never play this card in 1v1 but it could be fun in multiplayer politicking. A bit boring to me.

Power Surge 3RR
Enchantment - R
Effectively miscalculates every spell with targets in a unique way. Also, you get to twin cast your own spells by giving up targeting. I really don't know how this would go, but I expect it wouldn't activate often.

Shattered Time 2UU

Enchantment

At the beginning of the end step, randomly choose a player and the Beginning Phase, the Precombat Main phase, or the Combat phase. The chosen player takes an extra turn after this one. That player skips every phase of that turn except the chosen phase and the Ending phase.
Considering this activates during every extra turn, this will really mess up turn order, especially if their are multiple copies of it. It needs to be reworked to avoid using "Beginning Phase" but it looks very interesting.

Crazed Lifebringer WBRG
Creature- Wurm R
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player puts a random permanent card from his or her graveyard onto the battlefield.
"Most wurms leave destruction in their wake. Is this better?"
Field notes, Society for Meaningful Mortality
5/4 Slightly better Deadbridge Chant for All.

Public Discovery 0
Sorcery U
Reveal the top card of your library. Put it into your hand.
Powerful card. Does not meet contest requirements in that it does the same thing every time. If it instead had "everyone draws cards equal to that card's converted mana cost" or something else that made the card itself act differently based on the revealed card, it would have done well.

Berserkers' Brawl -3GR
Sorcery - R
The Gruul compete to prove their strength of arms. The blood shed by the fallen buys the glory of the victor.And the winner of the Gruul Hourly Rage Fest is the BIRDS OF PARADISE! I love this card for that image alone.

Song of Destruction WBR

Sorcery - R

Shuffle your library, then reveal the top card. Destroy all non-land permanents with the same converted mana cost as the revealed card. Then put the revealed card on the bottom of your library. If no permanents were destroyed this way, you may repeat this process, up to two more times.

Limited use, but cheap enough that it may be worth it. Most consistently, it could kill tokens by revealing a land.

Goblin Game Cannon - 2R
Artifact - R
Charge counters are basically irrelevant when I have a two mana repeatable 3.5 damage. I won't even risk the 10 or more damage part,so it is risk-less.

Storm God's Wrath URG
Sorcery- MR
Choose one at Random-Return all creatures to their owners' hands, Deal 3 damage to each creature without flying and each player, or destroy all creatures with flying.
Anger the Lord of Lightning and you'll die. The only question is how.
Simple, colorful, and cheap for the effects. Very unreliable, but that was the point of this contest.

Submit to the Mob 3RR
Sorcery - R
Choose a player at random. That player chooses another player and controls that players next turn. (That player sees all cards that player could see and makes all decisions for that player.)
"Free will is an illusion - everything we do is determined by our chemistry, our environment, and most unfortunately, the whims of lesser men."
I am having trouble understanding the flavor, but a cheap and unreliable mindslaver is a cool idea.

Maxwell's Familiar 3BBR
Creature - Demon (R)
Whenever a player flips a coin, put an Entropy counter on ~.
0: Flip a coin. If heads, you lose two life and add B to your mana pool. If tails, target opponent gains 3 life and you add R to your mana pool. Any player may activate this ability.
T, Remove X entropy counters from ~: Add X to your mana pool. You may flip X coins. If you do so, put a 1/1 black avatar creature token into play under your opponent's control for each heads, and a 1/1 red avatar creature token into play under your control for each tails.
2/3
Should be win and lose the flip,not heads and tails. Combos WAY too fell with enter the battlefield effects (flip tons of coins for free, add tons of mana to your pool, watch the world burn). Sure flipping coins has bad effects, but there are so many ways to get around it (Erebos for example)

Slave of the Tide 3UU
Creature - Clamfolk U
At the beginning of your upkeep, roll a die then consult the below table.
On a 1 return ~ to its owners hand.
On a 2 ~ gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
On a 3 ~ gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
On a 4 ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
On a 5 ~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
On a 6 ~ gets +3/+3 and islandwalk until end of turn.
Almost as bad as the good old days.
3/3
Pretty week and text heavy. Would have been better with a lower cost. Also, pretty strange rules for uncommon.

Chaos Bleeds 2WRB
Enchantment
"Everything bleeds. This just makes reality bleed as well"
Should be "win the flip" not heads/tails. Removing something from play at random doesn't really care about exile/destroy. I think it would be better if you cut one or the other and its associate color to make it cheaper,having it fail if you fail the flip.

The Demon's Door - BBRR

Artifact - R

Very clunky, not that effective. In the long run, it breaks even. Shouldn't be head/tails.

Mad Scientist's Lab
Land
{Tap}: add 1 to your mana pool.
{3}: choose one of the following randomly. Any player may activate this ability as a sorcery no more than once each turn.
1) Draw 3 cards, then discard 2.
2) Put two +1/+1 counters on target creature you control.
3) Put two -1/-1 counters on target creature you control.
4) Sacrifice a permanent.
5) Target opponent sacrifices a permanent.
6) Put an 8/5 Mutant Horror creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
7) Put an 8/5 Mutant Horror creature token onto the battlefield under target opponents control.
8) Destroy all permanents.
"It's all completely under control. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?"
I love the concept, but it is WAY too long. 4 options would have been better,

Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the card on top of your library, then put target creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control with a number of time counters on it equal the converted mana cost of the revealed card.

Please edit past entries when resubmitting.
Phyrexian mana costs are strange when mixed with regular mana. It would,d have been better to chose the creature, then reveal the card for a bigger impact. If the top card has CMC 0,then does it live till your next upkeep or die immediately?

Vorpal blade - 3
Artifact - Equipment - M
Equiped creature gets +1/+1
Whenever equiped creature deals combat damage to another creature, flip a coin, if you win the flip, exile that creature.
Equip 3
Sometimes it cleaves stuff in twain, the rest of the time... it still does... 'cus you know... sword.
- Tikgrig, Goblin Relic Merchant
Stuffy doll on a sword at a much better mana cost. I like it.

Unstable Personality 1RU
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant creature
Do you put it on your whimsy creature or on their threat? I love the utility and unpredictability.

LaZodiac
Misothene
Blue Ghost
C'Nor
Ninjaman
Androgeus

Blue Ghost for the most potentially hilarious wrath effect so far.

LaZodiac
2014-03-05, 03:14 PM
Blargh, I knew I forgot to fix something on my card :smallbiggrin:

Ah well, that was a good contest! Congrats to Blue!

reaverb
2014-03-05, 07:18 PM
Considering this activates during every extra turn, this will really mess up turn order, especially if their are multiple copies of it. Altering the turn order was intentional, although multiple copies is something I didn't think about.

Mystic Muse
2014-03-05, 07:44 PM
And the winner of the Gruul Hourly Rage Fest is the BIRDS OF PARADISE! I love this card for that image alone.

The fight raged on for a century
Many lives were claimed, but eventually
The champion stood
the rest saw their better
Mr. Rogers in a blood-stained sweater

Duck999
2014-03-05, 08:22 PM
The fight raged on for a century
Many lives were claimed, but eventually
The champion stood
the rest saw their better
Mr. Rogers in a blood-stained sweater

Best song ever. But why are you singing it?

Fable Wright
2014-03-05, 08:45 PM
Best song ever. But why are you singing it?

Read HypoSoc's comment on the card.
If you still don't get the joke, it's just pointing out that a Bird of Paradise, or Mr. Roger if he were made into a card, could be randomly selected as the one who slew every other living creature on the board in bloody fisticuffs.

Blue Ghost
2014-03-05, 10:33 PM
New contest!

Design a card on the theme of Love. Be creative! :smallsmile:

Ionbound
2014-03-05, 10:52 PM
The Bonds that Tie - 0

Sorcery-MR

If this card is played, both players may shuffle their decks together. If this occurs, both players win the game.

I'll make a serious entry later.

LaZodiac
2014-03-05, 10:52 PM
Love of Violence RR
Enchantment - U
Enchanted creature gets a +1/+1 counter for every point of damage it takes during combat.
More! More! Bring me another man to fight!

Woo, totally missing the point in the right way. This would of course be part of a cycle :smallbiggrin:

Grimsage Matt
2014-03-05, 11:33 PM
Thantanos (P/G)(P/W)(P/U)(P/R)(P/B)
Legendary Enchantment Creature- God MR
Industructable, Shroud, Shadow, Deathtouch
So long as your devotion to white, black, green, blue and red is less then 10, ~ is not a creature.
T- Chose a creature. It's controller sacrifices it. ~ may only use this abillity as a creature
Creatures you control have "Soulbond, each creature gains +3/+3 and may use the others activated abillities"
"Love and death are two sides of the same coin."
8/8

So, any advice on the soulbound wording?

onasuma
2014-03-06, 04:35 AM
Eternal Love 1WG
Enchantment U
Whenever a creature you control dies, if it was soulbound to another creature place +1/+1 counters on that creature equal to the first creatures toughness.
Love transcends death

Duck999
2014-03-06, 07:30 AM
Love of Violence RR
Enchantment - U
Enchanted creature gains +1/+1 for every point of damage it takes during combat.

Woo, totally missing the point in the right way. This would of course be part of a cycle :smallbiggrin:
A +1/+1 counter? because you have to say it gets +1/+1 until end of turn, or it gets a +1/+1 counter. I believe it is also gets, not gains.

Thantanos 10
So long as your devotion to colorless is less then 10, ~ is not a creature.
T- Place target creature in it's owners graveyard
Creatures you control have "Soulbond, each creature gains +3/+3 and may use the others activated abillities"
[I]"Love and death are two sides of the same coin."[/b]
8/8

So, any advice on the soulbound wording?
First of all, you did [i][/b].
Second, his mana cost is 10 colorless. Other than the fact that is extrremely easy to get 10 colorless mana costs, he himself makes him a creature. His devotion is automatically reached from his own mana cost.

Grimsage Matt
2014-03-06, 08:45 AM
Done a bit of editing. Now, he should be harder to be a creature, and his unblockable move to graveyard only applies when hes a creature.

HypoSoc
2014-03-06, 08:49 AM
Goblin Love-Love Mallet 3
Tribal Artifact - Goblin - R
2R, T: ~ deals two damage to target creature you control and target creature you don't control. If both creatures die this way, put three 1/1 red goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield tapped.
Goblinoid Romance is much like its participants: short, violent, and utterly unintelligible.

LaZodiac
2014-03-06, 09:20 AM
A +1/+1 counter? because you have to say it gets +1/+1 until end of turn, or it gets a +1/+1 counter. I believe it is also gets, not gains.

Ooops! Sorry about that.

Binks
2014-03-06, 10:19 AM
Cupid, Bringer of Love - 2WR
Planeswalker - Cupid - MR
+1: Choose a creature you control. Until the end of your next turn creatures your opponents control deal no damage to the chosen creature.
+1: Target creature an opponent controls may not attack or block until your next turn.
-8: You get an emblem with 'Whenever you would take damage from any source you may choose an opponent. If you do, instead you and that opponent each take half of the damage (rounded down) and draw a card.'

Lady Serpentine
2014-03-06, 01:13 PM
Regarding my card:

Was the Phyrexian Mana comment actually a complaint, or just a note on our formatting...? :smallconfused: Because if the former, Phyrexian is mostly used with normal, from what I've seen.

As for why you don't pick the creature then reveal the card, while it would be more impressive, it's also a major drawback - upkeep comes before draw, after all, so you wouldn't know either.

I mean, admittedly, the point of it is to be swingy, but if it has the potential to kill your big thing right after you get it out and you can't do anything about that, it becomes much less useful, no?

As for what happens if it has 0 CMC... If it's, say, a land or something on the top of your deck, I'm assuming that it would die at once, due to the wording of Dark Lament, but I'm not entirely sure if that would be checked during the turn or not; those sorts of interactions aren't my specialty.

@Duck:

Actually, it's number of symbols, not the total mana spent. So I think you'd need to have nine other permanents with colorless costs out?

Still feasible, but that's an improvement over your interpretation, at least.

HypoSoc
2014-03-06, 01:23 PM
It was a complaint. To my knowledge, phyrexian mana never existed in the same cost as normal colored mana,as it was meant to allow colorless and off color casting in addition to its accelerated options. I thought it would better with the more major drawback as it is pretty powerful. Consider unearth where you get cards back for only one turn and generally costed more than the casting cost. Given the average cmc in a deck is more than one, and this would happen for free every turn, the not knowing if you are blowing your load when choosing a creature would allow you to keep it in the theme of the contest and keep the cost cheaper.
Sorry I wasn't as verbose before, but when there are so many entries,it gets tiring.

Jormengand
2014-03-06, 01:36 PM
Love WWWWWRRRRR
Instant - R
All players win the game.

(Yes, I know that in reality this would cause all players to draw the game. Shh.)

Love 1WR
Sorcery - U
Gain 1 life for each creature you control.
//
Hate 1BR
Sorcery - U
Target creature loses 1 life for each creature they control.

mystic1110
2014-03-06, 06:01 PM
Star-Crossed Lover W
Creature - Human U
You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature, an opponent controls when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as they are both on the battlefield.
When Star-Crossed Lover is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has "When the creature this creature is paired with leaves the battlefield, sacrifice this creature."
1/1

HypoSoc
2014-03-06, 07:06 PM
Predator Ooze, you are my one true love!
Emrakul of Aeons Torn, you are my one true love!
Inkwell Leviathan, you are my one true love!

Ah, the magic of requited, gets around shroud/hexproof/protection/indestructible, love.

mystic1110
2014-03-06, 08:54 PM

Ah, the magic of requited, gets around shroud/hexproof/protection/indestructible, love.

Love, stronger than strong force, knows no bounds.

Fable Wright
2014-03-06, 09:03 PM

Heh. One more thing Dungeons and Dragons has in common with Magic.
As it turns out, one of the most effective ways to assassinate someone in D&D 3.5e is to Mindrape a random commoner into being deeply in love with the target you want to assassinate, and then spamming the spell Love's Pain at them. Gets around every and any defense short of an antimagic field, works at any distance and even across planes, and one of the most effective means of assassination in existence.
Thinking about that paints this card in a whole new light.

Zweisteine
2014-03-06, 09:40 PM
Self-Sacrifice WW
Instant {U}

As an additional cost to play ~, sacrifice a nontoken creature.

The next time target creature would die this turn, it doesn't. Instead tap it, remove all damage from it, remove all -1/-1 counters from it, and remove it from combat.

ďSurely it was a good way to die, in the place of someone else, someone I loved.Ē
―Stephenie Meyer, Twilight

This card is meant to be the basic "jump in front of the bullet." I could have just said "regenerate," but this is special and even lets you block spells like incinerate (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=234075), because there's a body in the way. The "no tokens" bit is to prevent the most obvious abuse of the card, which would be to sacrifice some weak token to protect your strongest creature.

This was going to be the flavor text. Then I realized that being from a Bad book is not a reason not to use a quote, so I used the better one.
ď...there is power in self-sacrifice.Ē
óVeronica Roth, Divergent

"Loyalty and devotion lead to bravery. Bravery leads to the spirit of self-sacrifice. The spirit of self-sacrifice creates trust in the power of love."
óMorihei Ueshiba

"Get away! I'll hold them off!"
óVarious heroes

EDIT:
Alternate card name:
Heroic Sacrifice

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-06, 11:33 PM
Dark Consort 2WBB
Creature - Minion MR
Vigilance
Damage dealt to Dark Consort causes its owner to gain that much life.
Damage dealt to Dark Consort's owner causes it to get +0/+X until end of turn, where X is the damage dealt.
(These effects don't use the stack.)
-
It's complicated.
5/5

Saposhiente
2014-03-06, 11:50 PM
The "no tokens" bit is to prevent the most obvious abuse of the card

Firstly, what "no tokens" bit? I see none. Secondly, that really wouldn't be much of an abuse; if anything, your card is only good as is if you have tokens available; otherwise it's a 2-for-1 for your opponent and usually worse than Regenerate (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193739) which is actually pretty bad. I would add "Draw a card" and not have any clause about no tokens.

TiaC
2014-03-07, 12:19 AM
Festival of Lovers 3BG
Black and Green Enchantment - R
Whenever a player casts a creature spell, each other player may put a creature card with converted mana cost equal to of that spell from their hand onto the battlefield.
Whenever a creature dies without being sacrificed, each player other than that creature's controller must sacrifice a creature.

Duck999
2014-03-07, 07:17 AM
Firstly, what "no tokens" bit? I see none. Secondly, that really wouldn't be much of an abuse; if anything, your card is only good as is if you have tokens available; otherwise it's a 2-for-1 for your opponent and usually worse than Regenerate (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193739) which is actually pretty bad. I would add "Draw a card" and not have any clause about no tokens.

I think he was going to have sacrifice a non-token creature so you can't just sac an Elspeth token or whatever.

Lady Serpentine
2014-03-07, 10:39 AM
It was a complaint. To my knowledge, phyrexian mana never existed in the same cost as normal colored mana,as it was meant to allow colorless and off color casting in addition to its accelerated options. I thought it would better with the more major drawback as it is pretty powerful. Consider unearth where you get cards back for only one turn and generally costed more than the casting cost. Given the average cmc in a deck is more than one, and this would happen for free every turn, the not knowing if you are blowing your load when choosing a creature would allow you to keep it in the theme of the contest and keep the cost cheaper.
Sorry I wasn't as verbose before, but when there are so many entries,it gets tiring.

Fair enough; on the other hand, I don't see a reason that one cannot have Phyrexian mana in the same casting cost as normal mana? It seems like a viable use regardless of the other niches that it may be meant to fill.

Also, I'd like to point you to Debtors' Knell. It costs only a single mana more than Dark Lament.

In exchange for that extra one mana, you get the flexibility of hybrid mana, only three of its cost needs to be colored at all, and you can return any creature card from any graveyard to the battlefield, under your control, until they manage to remove that creature. And then, if they do kill that creature somehow, you can just bring it back next turn, whereas Dark Lament exiles it when it doesn't have counters on it, so if you can keep it locked down/blocked/soak the damage from it/etc.., it goes away, and can't be brought back again, barring really weird circumstances.

AgentPaper
2014-03-07, 03:47 PM
Fair enough; on the other hand, I don't see a reason that one cannot have Phyrexian mana in the same casting cost as normal mana? It seems like a viable use regardless of the other niches that it may be meant to fill.

It's mostly an aesthetics/readability thing. Phyrexian mana doesn't look much different from normal mana at a glance, so having them mixed would make it (slightly) harder to parse the card at a glance. If you only need to spend that extra time parsing on a few cards, that's fine, but if you do it on even one card out of 50, then now the player needs to take that time for the other 49 too, to make sure that they're all pure phyrexian mana.

It's not really a major reason, though, and I could certainly see them using mixed costs in the future, if there was a reason too. That's really the reason that it wasn't done. There wasn't much reason to not use mixed costs, but there was even less reason to use them. Keeping functionality held back to use in the future may have also tipped them to not using mixed costs. WotC likes to hold stuff back so they can keep doing new stuff in the future when then bring mechanics back.

Saposhiente
2014-03-07, 04:09 PM
I think he was going to have sacrifice a non-token creature so you can't just sac an Elspeth token or whatever.

I am aware of the intent, but preventing this from happening is not how his card currently works, nor is it how it should work imo.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-03-07, 07:11 PM
Love Triangle 1WW

Enchantment U

When Love Triangle enters the battlefield, choose three creatures. Those creatures have protection from each other. When one or more of those creatures leaves the battlefield, sacrifice Love Triangle.

Fortuna
2014-03-07, 11:16 PM
Bliss 1R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
When Bliss comes into play, choose a creature other than enchanted creature. If you do not, immediately transform Bliss.
Enchanted creature has +2/+2.
When the chosen creature leaves play, transform Bliss and put a sorrow counter on enchanted creature.
////
Loss
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Loss is black and red.
B, Tap enchanted creature: Put a sorrow counter on target creature.
While Loss is in play, creatures with a sorrow counter can't attack and their activated abilities cost B more to activate.

Lord Ruby34
2014-03-10, 06:12 PM
Devoted Lover 1WW
Creature-Human Adviser R
When ~ enters the battlefield choose another creature. Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature. All damage that would be dealt to that creature is dealt to ~ instead.

When ~ dies, you may transform it. If you do, attach it to a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it.
0/5
////
Memory of Devotion (White Color Identity)
Enchantment- Aura

Enchant Creature

Enchanted creature has Flying and Indestructible.

The +1/+1 counter exists for memory reasons, and it makes it much more likely that the flipped version will attach to the correct creature. I could have used some sort of nonstandard counter, but I'd rather the counter actually do something.

Fable Wright
2014-03-10, 07:00 PM
True Love WW
Enchantment- Aura R
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature
Hexproof, Indestructible
Enchanted creature gains Hexproof and Indestructible, cannot be sacrificed, and its toughness cannot become less than 1.

At the beginning of each end step, if no opponents control creatures, exile enchanted creature.
The dragon was slain, its minions routed. There was nothing that could threaten them now. And so the brave knight and humble peasant lived happily ever after.

Ionbound
2014-03-10, 07:07 PM
Here's my actual submission:

True Love's Miracle 1RWW

Legendary Enchantment-Aura MR

Enchant Two Creatures

Both enchanted creatures gain indestructible, and cannot be sent to the Graveyard from the Battlefield

The chocolate coating helps it go down easier-Miracle Man's Wife

Duck999
2014-03-11, 06:27 AM
Enchanted creature and ~ are hexproof and indestructible. Enchanted creature cannot be sacrificed, and its toughness cannot become less than 1.
I believe it actually gets or gains hexproof and indestructible.

Enchant Two Creatures

Can you do that? It hasn't been done, and a ton of new rulings would have to be made for that.

Androgeus
2014-03-11, 08:35 AM
Breeding Season 1G
Enchantment R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may exile two creatures that share a creature type. If you do, at the beginning of the next end step put a 2/2 creature token on the battlefield of the same colours and types as the exiled creatures, then return those creatures to battlefield under their owner's control.

Binks
2014-03-11, 10:28 AM
True Love's Miracle 1RWW
There are a couple of template issues with this card, mainly the 'enchant two creatures' and 'cannot be sent to the graveyard' wordings. Thought I'd offer a template that does basically the same thing but with current wordings (as best I am aware at least).

"Legendary Enchantment - MR
When ~ enters the battlefield choose two target creatures. As long as ~ is on the battlefield those creatures are indestructible, cannot be sacrificed, and cannot have their toughness reduced below 1 by any means."

Fable Wright
2014-03-11, 02:46 PM
I believe it actually gets or gains hexproof and indestructible.

Usually. On the other hand, look at Ready of Ready//Willing. "Creatures are indestructible". It looks like a minor difference, but has some ramifications. For one, the ability indestructible cannot be lost by the creature. Likewise, with this card, the enchanted creature cannot lose Hexproof from Glaring Spotlight or Archetype of Endurance, as the creature itself does not have hexproof as an ability.

Androgeus
2014-03-11, 07:05 PM
Usually. On the other hand, look at Ready of Ready//Willing. "Creatures are indestructible". It looks like a minor difference, but has some ramifications. For one, the ability indestructible cannot be lost by the creature. Likewise, with this card, the enchanted creature cannot lose Hexproof from Glaring Spotlight or Archetype of Endurance, as the creature itself does not have hexproof as an ability.

You can't just be a keyword, you have to gain it. The indestructible thing was because indestructible didn't use to be a keyword and was just something that was true about a permanent (this changed when M2014 was released and it was made a keyword, the actual wording for ready//willing (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=368967) now is "Creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn").

Fable Wright
2014-03-11, 07:19 PM
You can't just be a keyword, you have to gain it. The indestructible thing was because indestructible didn't use to be a keyword and was just something that was true about a permanent (this changed when M2014 was released and it was made a keyword, the actual wording for ready//willing (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=368967) now is "Creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn").

You have a point. On the other hand, as you've just shown, the semantics can be changed. (Lands continue to burn, the Until clause, changing Indestructible, etc.) Indestructible and Hexproof may go the way of Fear, or you may be able to be a keyword in the future.

AgentPaper
2014-03-11, 07:54 PM
You have a point. On the other hand, as you've just shown, the semantics can be changed. (Lands continue to burn, the Until clause, changing Indestructible, etc.) Indestructible and Hexproof may go the way of Fear, or you may be able to be a keyword in the future.

Indestructible and Hexproof are both already keyworded. That could change, but not for a single card. Your wording still works as if the creature gained the abilities, rather than how indestructible used to work, because that's how indestructible and hexproof work no matter how they're worded. You would need to specifically state that it works differently for just that card, which would probably just cause even more confusion.

Zweisteine
2014-03-12, 09:12 PM
I went and fixed the wording of my card. I probably pasted the wrong version in from my draft document.

DoctorWhooves
2014-03-12, 09:52 PM
Angel of Love
2W
Creature - Angel
Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has "2W: Sacrifice this creature. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to its paired creature."
1/3

Blue Ghost
2014-03-13, 02:32 AM
LaZodiac:

Love of Violence RR
Enchantment - U
Enchanted creature gets a +1/+1 counter for every point of damage it takes during combat.
Itís decent enough. Itís kind of confusing in that itís difficult to tell if the creature gets the counters before lethal damage is resolved, or after. And I donít feel that it conveys the flavor of love well enough in its mechanics. Enjoyment is a valid interpretation of love, but this could just be some really angry guy.

Grimsage Matt:

Thantanos (P/G)(P/W)(P/U)(P/R)(P/B)
So long as your devotion to white, black, green, blue and red is less then 10, ~ is not a creature.
T- Chose a creature. It's controller sacrifices it. ~ may only use this abillity as a creature
"Love and death are two sides of the same coin."
8/8
Letís see...
- This is an indestructible, unblockable 8/8 that can be cast for no mana. That alone means itís pretty much completely unprintable.
- Thereís no reason for this to be five colored.
- Deathtouch is redundant with 8 power, and shadow makes it pretty much completely useless since it will never battle another creature, let alone one with more than 8 toughness.
- Soulbond does not work that way.
- What does this have to do with love?

onasuma:

Eternal Love 1WG
Enchantment U
Whenever a creature you control dies, if it was soulbound to another creature place +1/+1 counters on that creature equal to the first creatures toughness.
Love transcends death
The correct term is paired, not soulbound. Some awkward wording aside, this would give soulbond a decent boost in power. I wish there were more soulbond cards to use with it though.

HypoSoc:

Goblin Love-Love Mallet 3
Tribal Artifact - Goblin - R
2R, T: ~ deals two damage to target creature you control and target creature you don't control. If both creatures die this way, put three 1/1 red goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield tapped.
Goblinoid Romance is much like its participants: short, violent, and utterly unintelligible.
The image this card conjures is just so bizarre I donít know what to say about it. Itís definitely very amusing. Mechanically, it seems playable. So, good job, I guess?

Binks:

Cupid, Bringer of Love - 2WR
Planeswalker - Cupid - MR
+1: Choose a creature you control. Until the end of your next turn creatures your opponents control deal no damage to the chosen creature.
+1: Target creature an opponent controls may not attack or block until your next turn.
-8: You get an emblem with 'Whenever you would take damage from any source you may choose an opponent. If you do, instead you and that opponent each take half of the damage (rounded down) and draw a card.'
All the abilities are very flavorful. It seems a bit underpowered to me at first glance, but I suppose it can be decent protection or pseudo-removal.

Jormengand:

Love 1WR
Sorcery - U
Gain 1 life for each creature you control.
//
Hate 1BR
Sorcery - U
Target creature loses 1 life for each creature they control.
It wouldnít be easy to make a deck that can make good use of both sides of this. The pure lifegain from the Love side is underpowered, and the Hate side is really conditional on your opponent having a lot of creatures. (Assuming ďTarget creatureĒ is a typo.) All in all, it just seems rather bland.

mystic1110:

Star-Crossed Lover W
Creature - Human U
You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature, an opponent controls when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as they are both on the battlefield.
When Star-Crossed Lover is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has "When the creature this creature is paired with leaves the battlefield, sacrifice this creature."
1/1
The flavor here is just silly. A person who can make anything fall hopelessly in love with him/her, to the point where it kills itself when he/she leaves? It seems broken with bounce/blink. If it were a death trigger, it would be more balanced, and would probably still be a format staple. Iím not sure I like the idea of a format staple with such a nonsensical flavor.

Zweisteine:

Self-Sacrifice WW
Instant {U}

As an additional cost to play ~, sacrifice a nontoken creature.

The next time target creature would die this turn, it doesn't. Instead tap it, remove all damage from it, remove all -1/-1 counters from it, and remove it from combat.

ďSurely it was a good way to die, in the place of someone else, someone I loved.Ē
―Stephenie Meyer, Twilight

I think you could have found a better quote for the flavor text, but eh. I agree with Saposhiente, the nontoken restriction makes it worse than it needs to be. Sacrificing creatures isnít really in whiteís modern color pie (unless itís creatures sacrificing themselves), though there are some older cards with similar flavor, so I guess thatís excusable. Four clauses is rather messy for a simple protection from destruction effect; I think you could have made it cleaner, perhaps by granting indestructible (and/or hexproof, though thatís more blue/green).

Dr.Gunsforhands:

Dark Consort 2WBB
Creature - Minion MR
Vigilance
Damage dealt to Dark Consort causes its owner to gain that much life.
Damage dealt to Dark Consort's owner causes it to get +0/+X until end of turn, where X is the damage dealt.
(These effects don't use the stack.)
-
It's complicated.
5/5
A 5/5 Minion? Whatís this thing made of?
I donít quite get the flavor, but I guess itís complicated. Doesnít really seem flashy enough for a mythic rare to me. Itís pretty interesting mechanically. A bit above curve, but not too much. Can lead to some pretty interesting interactions.

thisisacat:

Festival of Lovers 3BG
Black and Green Enchantment - R
Whenever a player casts a creature spell, each other player may put a creature card with converted mana cost equal to of that spell from their hand onto the battlefield.
Whenever a creature dies without being sacrificed, each player other than that creature's controller must sacrifice a creature.
The CMC restriction on the first clause makes it really narrow and situational, and probably isnít necessary. 5CMC in green is good enough to cheat things into play from your hand, especially if the effect is symmetrical. Second clause is symmetrical, slightly more restrictive Grave Pact. If you removed the CMC restriction, the two abilities together make this quite a fun card. Not sure about the love connection though.

Diego Havoc:

Love Triangle 1WW

Enchantment U

When Love Triangle enters the battlefield, choose three creatures. Those creatures have protection from each other. When one or more of those creatures leaves the battlefield, sacrifice Love Triangle.
Why three creatures? Two would be decent for this effect; three just complicates things and leads to unintuitive and possibly feel-bad scenarios. Also not sure on the flavor.

Random_person:

Bliss 1R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
When Bliss comes into play, choose a creature other than enchanted creature. If you do not, immediately transform Bliss.
Enchanted creature has +2/+2.
When the chosen creature leaves play, transform Bliss and put a sorrow counter on enchanted creature.
////
Loss
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Loss is black and red.
B, Tap enchanted creature: Put a sorrow counter on target creature.
While Loss is in play, creatures with a sorrow counter can't attack and their activated abilities cost B more to activate.
A bit of color pie breakage on both sides; straight +X/+X enchantments arenít common for red, and preventing attacks isnít black. Iím rather confused on how to use this card; youíd usually want one side or the other, but not both, so you canít really take advantage of the transforming nature of it. I suppose it would be a Johnny card that way, but it doesnít seem to lend itself to any extravagant combos.

Lord Ruby34:

Devoted Lover 1WW
Creature-Human Adviser R
When ~ enters the battlefield choose another creature. Put a +1/+1 counter on that creature. All damage that would be dealt to that creature is dealt to ~ instead.

When ~ dies, you may transform it. If you do, attach it to a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it.
0/5
////
Memory of Devotion (White Color Identity)
Enchantment- Aura

Enchant Creature

Enchanted creature has Flying and Indestructible.

I really like the flavor here. It really captures the essence of love, I feel. There are a few issues. First, +1/+1 counters arenít really good for state markers, because theyíre so common and they can come from a variety of different sources. There are some wording issues, and 5 toughness is rather high for a Human, regardless of level of devotion. Still, itís both interesting and flavorful, so good job.

DMofDarkness:

True Love WW
Enchantment- Aura R
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature
Hexproof, Indestructible
Enchanted creature gains Hexproof and Indestructible, cannot be sacrificed, and its toughness cannot become less than 1.

At the beginning of each end step, if no opponents control creatures, exile enchanted creature.
The dragon was slain, its minions routed. There was nothing that could threaten them now. And so the brave knight and humble peasant lived happily ever after.
Iím not quite sure what this has to do with Twoo Wuv, besides it being unbreakable. Might be a little too hard to get rid of, if the opponent doesnít have a way to remove their own creatures. This would be really scary on something with evasion.

firedaemon33:

Here's my actual submission:

True Love's Miracle 1RWW

Legendary Enchantment-Aura MR

Enchant Two Creatures

Both enchanted creatures gain indestructible, and cannot be sent to the Graveyard from the Battlefield

The chocolate coating helps it go down easier-Miracle Man's Wife
First, the rules donít support Auras being attached to two creatures. What happens when one creature leaves the battlefield? Does the Aura stay with the other creature? Also, how does ďcannot be sent to the graveyard from the battlefieldĒ work? What happens at 0 toughness? Can they be sacrificed? Too many rule revisions would be needed to accommodate this card.

Androgeus

Breeding Season 1G
Enchantment R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may exile two creatures that share a creature type. If you do, at the beginning of the next end step put a 2/2 creature token on the battlefield of the same colours and types as the exiled creatures, then return those creatures to battlefield under their owner's control.
This card is prone to weird flavor issues that are probably best left alone. Mechanics wise, itís pretty solid, and can find some uses.

DoctorWhooves:

Angel of Love:
2W
Creature - Angel
Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has "2W: Sacrifice this creature. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to its paired creature."
1/3
How long does the damage prevention last? I assume until end of turn? Itís good, and I like the flavor, but I feel the activated ability would be better without the mana cost. Youíre already paying 2W for the angel, so additional mana for damage prevention shouldnít be needed.

And the winner is:
Lord Ruby34, with Devoted Lover! Congratulations for a fun and flavorful entry.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-03-13, 08:02 AM
Congrats, Lord Ruby!

Why three creatures?

Love Triangle

Also, I admit I could have chosen a better effect for this, but could I ask what you meant by "unintuitive and possibly feel-bad scenarios"?

Lord Ruby34
2014-03-13, 08:03 AM
Sweet, I haven't won one of these before. I wasn't expecting that. :smallbiggrin:

Well, the last design was top down, so let's do something bottom up this round. Create a card utilizing one or more keywords from the set Future Sight that appeared only in Future Sight. (Absorb, Delve, Fateseal, Fortify, Frenzy, Grandeur, Gravestorm, Aura Swap, Transfigure, or [Creature Type] Cycling.)

Have fun.

Ionbound
2014-03-13, 09:40 AM
Growing Seedling-1GG

Creature-Plant-R

Transfigure GGG

When Transfigure is activated, this creature can summon a creature with a converted Mana Cost 1 greater than itself.

When a creature is summoned by this creature using transfigure, it gains the following effects:

Transfigure GGG

When Transfigure is activated, this creature can summon a creature with a converted Mana Cost 1 greater than itself.

1/2

mystic1110
2014-03-13, 09:49 AM
Growing Ooze G
Creature Ooze - Rare
Absorb 1. (If a source would deal damage to Growing Ooze, prevent 1 of that damage.)
For each 1 damage prevented to Growing Ooze, put a +1/+1 counter on Growing Ooze.
"STOP HACKING AT IT!" - During an Ooze Attack.
1/1

How the card works.

Note - since the counter is put on before damage is dealt (because it prevents damage, before damage is dealt) this is how combat would work

Growing ooze blocks a 2/2
1 damage prevented
Groowing ooze now a 2/2 with 1 damage prevented. . .
Wins. . .

In effect its basically a permanent and better bushido ability.

Growing ooze is a 1/1 - cast lighting bolt to deal 3 damage to it
1 damage prevented
Groowing ooze now a 2/2 with 1 damage prevented. . .
Growing ooze still dies - since lighting bolt is doing 2 damage, and growing ooze only has two toughness.

LaZodiac
2014-03-13, 10:09 AM
Kami Touched Ninja 1U
Enchantment Creature - Human Ninja (U)
Bestow 2U
Aura Swap 2U
Shadow
Enchanted Creature has +1+1 and Shadow
The Kami thought it fun to play with how the poor ninja plied his craft. No longer was he a dancer of shadows, he simply was one.
1/1

Binks
2014-03-13, 10:34 AM
Protect the Land - 2W
Enchantment - R
Noncreature Artifacts you control have 'Fortify {1}' and 'Whenever fortified land would be destroyed instead sacrifice this permanent'.
"Use whatever metal you can, we must protect this land!" - Line from the Kithkin Nursary Rhyme 'The day the sky fell.'

HypoSoc
2014-03-13, 12:32 PM
Winds from Below B
Instant - Rare
Buyback 1B
Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
Gravestorm
It starts a gentle breeze, it ends a hurricane.

onasuma
2014-03-13, 05:43 PM
Thought Dominance 2BU
Enchantment - Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, any opponent may pay 5 life. If they do, ~ phases out.
BU: Fateseal 1. Activate this ability any time you could cast a sorcery.
Struggle as you might, eventually I shall control your decision to submit.

TiaC
2014-03-13, 05:50 PM
Dang, thought I removed the CMC restriction last round.

World's Recovery 3G
Instant - Rare
Exile target card in a graveyard face up. Any player may play the card exiled this way as long as it remain exiled.

Gravestorm (When you play this spell, copy it for each permanent put into a graveyard from play this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Blue Ghost
2014-03-13, 08:35 PM
Despair - 5UB
Creature - Horror Incarnation (R)
Delve
You can cast Despair from your graveyard.
{T}: Each player puts the top 7 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
3/7

Eternis
2014-03-14, 06:11 AM
The Great Ritual - 9BBB
Sorcery - MR
As an additional cost to cast The Great Ritual, sacrifice one or more creatures
The Great Ritual can't be countered.
Put X 4/4 Black Horror creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the number of creatures put into your graveyard from play this turn.
Gravestorm.

Androgeus
2014-03-14, 08:16 AM
Quick clarification on contest rules, does morph on non-creature permanents count as a future sight only thing? Totally fine if it's a no, I just kinda like this card

Ambushing Licid 2R
Enchantment - Aura U
Morph 2R
As Ambushing Licid is turned face up attach it to a creature you control
Enchanted creature gets +2/+0 and has first strike.

The Great Ritual - 5BBB
Sorcery - MR
Put X 4/4 Black Horror creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the number of creatures put into your graveyard from play this turn.
Gravestorm.

You do realise this gives you x^2+x demons just on it's own right?

Lord Ruby34
2014-03-14, 08:55 AM
Nope. Morph appeared before, and it theoretically could have been used that way before. It was new design space explored in future sight, but not a new mechanic. That is a fairly cool morph, though.

Fortuna
2014-03-14, 06:45 PM
Growing Seedling-1GG

Creature-Plant-R

Transfigure GGG

When a creature is summoned by this creature using transfigure, it gains the following effects:

Transfigure GGG

1/2

I'm... not sure this works, template-wise. Well, no. I'm sure that some of it doesn't work template-wise - "summon" isn't valid game terminology, and you would need to refer to transfigure as "this creature's transfigure ability". Also, the proper term is abilities, not effects.

From a power perspective, this thing seems really good. Under ideal circumstances you can do silly things like turn 1 land and elves, turn two land and rampant growth, turn three land and this, next turn land drop and transfigure twice into a fourth-turn tutor for a five mana creature which is just going to keep transfiguring upwards until it's removed.

Anyway. My own submission:

Entwined Fates U
Enchantment - R
Whenever a player would scry, you may have them fateseal for the same amount instead.
Whenever a player would fateseal, you may have them scry for the same amount instead.

Eternis
2014-03-14, 08:37 PM
You do realise this gives you x^2+x demons just on it's own right?
Huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue-
It should probably cost 9BBB though...
CH-CH-CH-CH-CHANGES!

Also, they're HORRORS.
Entirely different creature type.

Fable Wright
2014-03-14, 08:56 PM
Petition the Spirits 2U
Sorcery - Arcane U
Draw two cards.

Arcane Cycling UU

TiaC
2014-03-14, 11:50 PM
I'm... not sure this works, template-wise. Well, no. I'm sure that some of it doesn't work template-wise - "summon" isn't valid game terminology, and you would need to refer to transfigure as "this creature's transfigure ability". Also, the proper term is abilities, not effects.

From a power perspective, this thing seems really good. Under ideal circumstances you can do silly things like turn 1 land and elves, turn two land and rampant growth, turn three land and this, next turn land drop and transfigure twice into a fourth-turn tutor for a five mana creature which is just going to keep transfiguring upwards until it's removed.
It doesn't keep passing the ability up the line. Easier templating might be "Treat this card's converted mana cost as one higher."

Fortuna
2014-03-15, 12:30 AM
It doesn't keep passing the ability up the line. Easier templating might be "Treat this card's converted mana cost as one higher."

I beg your pardon, you're quite right. That means it's only nine mana for a tutored five-drop, with a comes-into-play and leaves-play trigger (and possibly an attack) for a tutored four-drop in between. That's not nearly as good as I thought it was, but still really rather good.

Fleeing Coward
2014-03-15, 06:50 AM
The way I read that card, the cards don't actually leave play itself so it can just keep summoning 4/5 drops for GGG.

nvm, I didn't realise it was a keyword :smalltongue:

Beacon of Chaos
2014-03-15, 07:45 AM
Ilden, The Mindbender - 3BU

Legendary Creature - Vedalken Wizard R

2BU,T: Target opponent puts a card from his or her hand on the bottom of his or her library. Play this ability only as a sorcery.

Grandeur - Discard another card named Ilden, The Mindbender: Fateseal X, where X is the number of cards in your hand.

3/2

TiaC
2014-03-15, 02:13 PM
I beg your pardon, you're quite right. That means it's only nine mana for a tutored five-drop, with a comes-into-play and leaves-play trigger (and possibly an attack) for a tutored four-drop in between. That's not nearly as good as I thought it was, but still really rather good.

It's not that different from Diabolic tutor. They both cost 9, this get the CiP and LP abilities, but is more color intensive and can be killed with removal. Also, the tutor can get anything.

2BU,T: Target opponent puts a card from his or her hand on the bottom of his or her library.

Grandeur - Discard another card named Ilden, The Mindbender: Fateseal X, where X is the number of cards in your hand.

3/2

This can effectively lock a player with instant-speed discard.

Jormengand
2014-03-15, 02:42 PM
Pyro Rig 4RRRR
Creature - Rebel Construct
Absorb 3
When Pyro rig deals damage to a creature, that creature can't attack next turn.
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip a coin. If you win the flip, detain target creature an opponent controls.
6/10

Command Centre 4
Artifact - Fortification
Enchanted land has "T: Rebels you control get +2/+0 until end of turn."

I apologise for the all-too-obvious Tyrant reference, I couldn't resist.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-03-15, 02:47 PM
This can effectively lock a player with instant-speed discard.
Good point. Made it sorcery speed.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-15, 04:07 PM
Cycling Spirit BW
Creature - Spirit R
Flying
Spiritcycling 2W (2W, discard this card: search your library for a Spirit card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)
B, Sacrifice a spirit or discard a spirit card: return Cycling Spirit from your graveyard to your hand.
2/2

Cycling Spirit BW
Creature - Spirit R
Flying
Spiritcycling 3 (3, discard this card: search your library for a Spirit card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)
Dredge 4 (If you would draw a card, instead you may put exactly four cards from the top of your library into your graveyard. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, draw a card.)
2/2

Cycling Spirit BW
Creature - Spirit R
Flying
Spiritcycling 2W (2W, discard this card: search your library for a Spirit card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)
As long as Cycling Spirit is in your graveyard, if you would draw a card, you may instead pay 2B. If you do, return Cycling Spirit to your hand.
2/2

Androgeus
2014-03-15, 04:17 PM
Cycling Spirit BW
Creature - Spirit R
Flying
Spiritcycling 3 (3, discard this card: search your library for a Spirit card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)
Dredge 3 (If you would draw a card, instead you may put exactly three cards from the top of your library into your graveyard. If you do, return this card from your graveyard to your hand. Otherwise, draw a card.)
2/2

Repeated tutoring for 3 mana? sign me up

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-15, 04:23 PM
Repeated tutoring for 3 mana? sign me up

That's the idea! It only looks for spirits, though. I might also raise the dredge count to increase the risk of milling your ideal targets with repeat uses, but if I set it too high, it could be used to power a reanimation deck, which isn't the card's intention.

TiaC
2014-03-15, 04:34 PM
That's the idea! It only looks for spirits, though. I might also raise the dredge count to increase the risk of milling your ideal targets with repeat uses, but if I set it too high, it could be used to power a reanimation deck, which isn't the card's intention.

Very nice with soulshift.

Ionbound
2014-03-16, 01:28 PM
I meant for it to work how Random thought it did. I'm going to quote the post and adjust the templating.

Ionbound
2014-03-16, 01:32 PM
Growing Seedling-1GG

Creature-Plant-R

GGG: Transfigure. This creature's converted mana cost counts as one higher.

When a creature enters the battlefield via this creature's transfigure ability, it gains ~'s abilities

1/2

There. I think this templating works better.

Blue Ghost
2014-03-16, 05:41 PM
Growing Seedling-1GG

Creature-Plant-R

Transfigure GGG

When a creature enters the battlefield via this creature's transfigure ability, it gains ~'s abilities

1/2

There. I think this templating works better.

"Summon" is not viable game terminology. Do you mean that it creates a creature token? Put a creature in play from your hand? Library? Cast a creature spell with/without its cost? You need to specify.

HypoSoc
2014-03-16, 06:16 PM
My best guess at tempting would be as such:
GGG: Search your library for a creature with cmc one greater than ~. Exile it, and shuffle your library. ~ becomes a copy of the exiled card, except its name is still ~, and it gains this ability.
Unfortunately, that removes transfigure from the card entirely, so it doesn't fit in the contest anymore.

AgentPaper
2014-03-16, 06:46 PM
My best guess at tempting would be as such:
GGG: Search your library for a creature with cmc one greater than ~. Exile it, and shuffle your library. ~ becomes a copy of the exiled card, except its name is still ~, and it gains this ability.
Unfortunately, that removes transfigure from the card entirely, so it doesn't fit in the contest anymore.

It would probably be something similar to Birthing Pod:

GGG, Sacrifice this creature: Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost equal to this creature's converted mana cost plus one, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. It gains this ability. Activate this ability only anytime you could cast a sorcery.

A bit wordy, but not too much as long as the card plays well and doesn't have any other text on it.

TiaC
2014-03-17, 04:17 AM
If you want to use Transfigure, I think you'll want to virtually adjust the CMC.

Ionbound
2014-03-19, 08:29 AM
I think I figured it out.

GGG: Transfigure. This creature's converted mana cost counts as one higher

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-19, 09:36 AM
Well, you could also just have its cost be 2GG, and then say it costs 1 less to cast if you cast it from your hand or something.

HypoSoc
2014-03-19, 04:15 PM
The purpose is to allow for a continuous transfigure chain that gets higher cmc creatures each time, like birthing pod, but less versatile. Lowering the cost to cast does not help that.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-19, 08:56 PM
Fair enough. Hmm...

FD-33, you can remove the second clause on the current version of the card now that you've attached the effect to the transfigure line. It looks like you might have forgotten. :smallsmile:

Lord Ruby34
2014-03-20, 04:18 PM
Mystic1110

Growing Ooze G
Creature Ooze - Rare
Absorb 1. (If a source would deal damage to Growing Ooze, prevent 1 of that damage.)
For each 1 damage prevented to Growing Ooze, put a +1/+1 counter on Growing Ooze.
"STOP HACKING AT IT!" - During an Ooze Attack.
1/1

I really like this one, it's elegant, it's flavorful and it makes great use of the absorb keyword. I'm not sure how well it would play in practice, but I'm imagining its use in a deck already capable of triggering it the first few times. The only thing I dislike about it is that it is complicated rules wise. New players might have trouble groking the card, but there should be some rares like that.

Good job.

LaZodiac

Kami Touched Ninja 1U
Enchantment Creature - Human Ninja (U)
Bestow 2U
Aura Swap 2U
Shadow
Enchanted Creature has +1+1 and Shadow
The Kami thought it fun to play with how the poor ninja plied his craft. No longer was he a dancer of shadows, he simply was one.
1/1

Mechanically this works very nicely. It combines Bestow, Aura Swap, and Shadow in an interesting and powerful way. Unfortunately this card seems like it would play alot like Arcanum Wings (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=136055), our already existing Aura Swap card. One more to place on a creature, but an additional power and toughness. Both provide evasion. Shadow even occupies the same design space as flying and horsemanship in the type of evasion it provides.

Flavorfully, I'm not sure Aura Swap works. Why does the cursed shadow leave it's host? The bestow cost is also probably to low, compare to Flitterstep Eidolon (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=378412).

Binks

Protect the Land - 2W
Enchantment - R
Noncreature Artifacts you control have 'Fortify {1}' and 'Whenever fortified land would be destroyed instead sacrifice this permanent'.
"Use whatever metal you can, we must protect this land!" - Line from the Kithkin Nursary Rhyme 'The day the sky fell.'

It's a sideboard cared for white decks that run a significant amount of artifacts, against land destruction. That's a very, very small amount of decks that would be interested in this, and they might still pass because of the low power level.

HypoSoc

Winds from Below B
Instant - Rare
Buyback 1B
Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
Gravestorm
It starts a gentle breeze, it ends a hurricane.

This starts sweeping away larger and larger creatures each time. Destroying a one toughness creature for one (or three) mana, then a two toughness creature for four (or six). The only problem is that it's hard to keep it going, but if it wasn't then it would be grossly overpowered. The fact that you can use it with fetchlands might be slightly problematic, or it might just push the card into competitive viability.

All in all I like it, it's simple and intresting and it makes good use of the Gravestorm mechanic.

Onasuma

Thought Dominance 2BU
Enchantment - Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, any opponent may pay 5 life. If they do, ~ phases out.
BU: Fateseal 1. Activate this ability any time you could cast a sorcery.
Struggle as you might, eventually I shall control your decision to submit.

This card frustrates me. It's a very powerful effect, and it can and will completly take over a game given enough time. But I can't find a deck that would want to play it. In control you can't depend on it when you need it, it doesn't have a board impact, and it's card disadvantage. Midrange has better win cons and is rarely blue black, aggro and combo don't want to pay that much mana, and in EDH you have lots of opponents with lots of life, many of which will draw multiple cards every turn anyway. Maybe you put it in the board for the control mirror? I don't know, and that's the problem.

Still, I enjoyed puzzling out how to try and use it, and I feel like there would be a use for this. It's a very Johnny/Spike card. Repateable Fateseal is a neat use of the mechanic, if expected.

Thisisacat

World's Recovery 3G
Instant - Rare
Exile target card in a graveyard face up. Any player may play the card exiled this way as long as it remain exiled.

Gravestorm (When you play this spell, copy it for each permanent put into a graveyard from play this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Neat. It's an interesting effect, but I'm not sure it's a green effect. Black usually gives the ability to only itself, so Green giving the ability to both players is probably fitting. I'm not sure how much it would matter though. Players would have to be sharing a color to play each other's spells, and at four mana you would need to be holding this up against a wrath or something to take advantage (which was likely the intent). The ability for both players to try and cast the spells means that it also will likely only target the things in your graveyard that don't involve a color of mana an opponent could produce.

There are already cards that does what this card does better and with less risk, sure this has more versatility, but I'm not entirely sure that I would risk the trade off.

Blue Ghost

Despair - 5UB
Creature - Horror Incarnation (R)
Delve
You can cast Despair from your graveyard.
{T}: Each player puts the top 7 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
3/7

Huh. This fuels itself, and your own graveyard very, very well. My first thought was some sort of BUG deck with Stinkweed Imp and Golgari Grave Troll. It's also really hard to kill, you pretty much need to exile it, although Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile make it sad. It's really intresting and uses delve in a fun way.

Eternis

The Great Ritual - 9BBB
Sorcery - MR
Gravestorm.

This seems like an EDH card. Have some way to give your guys haste and saccing even five tokens should kill the table. It's big and swingy, like Omniscience or Enter the Infinite. That actually makes me like it much less, big cards like this should have a chance to be countered, because they can probably end the game if they resolve.

Gravestorm has sweet flavor here, so good job on that.

DMofDarkness

Petition the Spirits 2U
Sorcery - Arcane U
Draw two cards.

Arcane Cycling UU

Simple and Elegant. I actually really like the design, it feels like something that could be printed. The arcane cycling calls back to Splice onto Arcane subtly, but makes it fit well into an existing arcane deck. Assuming you can make a control deck that wants to cast a few other arcane spells this should be excellent, possibly even in constructed.

Diego Havoc

2BU,T: Target opponent puts a card from his or her hand on the bottom of his or her library. Play this ability only as a sorcery.

3/2

This seems like it could stand to cost two mana less to cast and be either a 1/1 or a 1/2. Compare to Ertai, Wizard Adept (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=5146). The Grandeur to FateSeal is intresting, and gives Ilden a use even after your opponent runs out of cards. As he is now, Ilden comes down a bit to late to be truly useful.

Jormengand

Pyro Rig 4RRRR
Creature - Rebel Construct
Absorb 3
When Pyro rig deals damage to a creature, that creature can't attack next turn.
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip a coin. If you win the flip, detain target creature an opponent controls.
6/10

I know I'm missing a reference somewhere, but this card doesn't make much sense to me. This seems like a police vehicle, but it's red. It also reads like an artifact creature.

It also breaks color pie with it's slow defensive abilities and high toughness. Red isn't interested in reacting to others, it makes others react to it. Honestly this card feels white. Absorb is also wasted on a creature that already has such high toughness.

Dr.Gunsforhands

Cycling Spirit BW
Creature - Spirit R
Flying
B, Sacrifice a spirit or discard a spirit card: return Cycling Spirit from your graveyard to your hand.
2/2

A repeatable spirit tutor is pretty cool, and in a dedicated spirit deck this will likely generate card advantage from cards like spectral procession and lingering souls. My only gripe is that it should probably cost one more to cast and maybe have an additional power. Two mana 2/2 flyers are fairly rare, and black's flyers usually come with a disadvantage.

And the name sucks. :smalltongue:

Firedaemon33

Growing Seedling-1GG

Creature-Plant-R

GGG: Transfigure. This creature's converted mana cost counts as one higher.

1/2

Unfortunately this card does not make sense. Summon is not valid game terminology, and the second line is redundant do to the adjustment of CMC in the line before it. The concept behind the card is intresting, but I'm afraid that this has too many rules errors for me to consider. I'm sorry.

Random person

Entwined Fates U
Enchantment - R
Whenever a player would scry, you may have them fateseal for the same amount instead.
Whenever a player would fateseal, you may have them scry for the same amount instead.

Interesting. This let's you turn scrys into fateseals, effectively letting your card filtering mess with your opponent's card quality. That's kinda neat. The biggest problem I have with the card is that I have no idea what would happen if each player controlled a copy.

Still, the card is neat, and reflects the shared design space between scry and fateseal in an interesting way.

There were alot of cool entries this time around, and I learned alot about judging from this. (Mostly to do them in a word doc as they're submitted so it doesn't take me so long.) But I have chosen my top three.

Third Place
Blue Ghost's Despair

Second Place
DMofDarkness's Petition the Spirits

And the Winner is ...
Mystic110 with Growing Ooze! Congratulations on the card. It made great use of the absorb mechanic, narrowly beating out Petition the Spirits for the best use of a Future Sight Mechanic.

LaZodiac
2014-03-20, 04:26 PM
Concerning my card: I was always told the Bestow cards cost too much, so that's why I had the low cost.

Additionally, the idea is that the cursed shadow IS the card, so like, HE'S cursed to BE a shadow, but he can still help his fellow ninja by getting magical stuff for them.

Anyway, congrats to the winner, this was a fun contest.

Lord Ruby34
2014-03-20, 04:30 PM
Concerning my card: I was always told the Bestow cards cost too much, so that's why I had the low cost.

Additionally, the idea is that the cursed shadow IS the card, so like, HE'S cursed to BE a shadow, but he can still help his fellow ninja by getting magical stuff for them.

Anyway, congrats to the winner, this was a fun contest.

It's true that they usually cost too much, but at uncommon they need to to be balanced. Bestow is a more powerful ability than it appears. If your card had been a rare I would have cut it more slack in that department.

That makes sense. I interpreted it has being forced to become a mindless shadow, but I can see how you meant it now.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-20, 06:11 PM
...and the name sucks. :smalltongue:

I considered inserting a little picture of a ghost riding a bicycle, but you put up the judging before I got around to it. :smalltongue:

Fortuna
2014-03-20, 06:13 PM
You seem to have missed my entry. :smallfrown: Reposted:

Entwined Fates U
Enchantment - R

Lord Ruby34
2014-03-20, 07:30 PM
You seem to have missed my entry. :smallfrown: Reposted:

Entwined Fates U
Enchantment - R

So I did. My apologies, it should be up now.

Ionbound
2014-03-20, 07:33 PM
I swear I edited mine to fix that. Blergh...Oh well.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-03-21, 07:02 AM
Congrats Mystic!

mystic1110
2014-03-21, 08:10 AM
:smalleek: . . . I won :smallconfused: . . . . MUHAHAHAHA :smallbiggrin:

Next challenge: Make an aura that does not enchant creatures.

Binks
2014-03-21, 10:24 AM
Aether Bond
Enchantment - Aura - MR
Enchant Planeswalker
{X}: Put ~ on the battlefield from your hand enchanting a planeswalker you control. X is the converted mana cost of that planeswalker and may only be paid with mana of that planeswalker's colors. Activate this ability only as a Sorcery.
Whenever you cast a spell you may pay {1}. If you do put a loyalty counter on enchanted planeswalker.
Whenever a loyalty ability of the enchanted planeswalker is activated you may pay {1}. If you do copy it.
"We can do this. Together."

Template on the static ability from hand is probably wrong, but should be fairly close.

HypoSoc
2014-03-21, 12:41 PM
Aether Reel 1U
Enchantment - Aura - Uncommon
Flash
Enchant Aura
1U: Return ~ and the aura its enchanting to their owners hands. Draw a card.
When the Nyxborn flooded the world, many panicked. The fishermen just switched rods.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-21, 01:27 PM
Tolled Checkpoint 2WW
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Zone (The Battlefield, Command, Exile, and Stack zones are shared; each player has his or her own Graveyard, Hand and Library zones.)
Whenever a card enters or leaves enchanted zone, you gain one life.

Mystic Muse
2014-03-21, 02:07 PM
Should we extend the deadline since the forum could be down for up to a week?

Ionbound
2014-03-21, 02:15 PM
Mnemonic Enhancer - 2UU

Enchantment - Aura - R

Enchant Player

T, UUU: The enchanted player draws an extra card at the beginning of his turn.

The best wizards aren't the ones who know the most spell: They're the ones to remember the most at the right time.

AgentPaper
2014-03-21, 02:39 PM
Should we extend the deadline since the forum could be down for up to a week?

A whole week is probably overkill. I'll extend the deadline to 2 days after the site comes back up, which assuming it comes up on the 29th, will be the 31st.

LaZodiac
2014-03-21, 03:13 PM
Curse of Baneful Equipment BB
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Equipment.
If Enchanted Equipment would increase power or toughness, it instead lowers power or toughness by the same amount.

Saposhiente
2014-03-21, 03:16 PM
The enchanted player draws an extra card at the beginning of his turn.

OP. Phyrexian Arena that throws in an Ajani's Mantra for only 1 additional mana, and Phyrexian Arena is already super good. Being able to occasionally use it to help mill your opponent is just gravy.

Blue Ghost
2014-03-21, 03:17 PM
Auramancer's Finesse - 1W
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant enchantment
{W}: Enchanted permanent loses all abilities until end of turn.
"Magic is like music. Sound and silence in perfect harmony." Lidia, auramancer of Thune

Ninjaman
2014-03-21, 04:00 PM
Mnemonic Enhancer - 2BB

Enchantment - Aura - R

Enchant Player

The enchanted player draws an extra card at the beginning of his turn.

The best wizards aren't the ones who know the most spell: They're the ones to remember the most at the right time.

Was this supposed to be blue? If do it should be 2UU.

Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant enchantment
"Magic is like music. Sound and silence in perfect harmony." Lidia, auramancer of Thune

I hope you know that in the case of an aura this would make the aura lose enchant (permanent type) and therefore fall off. Not sure if this was intended.

TiaC
2014-03-21, 04:44 PM
Terraformation 2G

Enchantment - Aura - U

Enchant Land

All lands gain all abilities and subtypes of enchanted land.

Jormengand
2014-03-21, 05:41 PM
Here's one for the un-sets:

Yo Dawg UR
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant enchantment
Enchanted enchantment's effects are doubled (As though there were two copies of enchanted enchantment on the field or enchanting the same permanent.)
Heard you liked enchantments, so I put an enchantment in your enchantment so you can enchant while you enchant.

Okay, I thought I'd better put something serious down:

What's Yours Is Mine 2U
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant artifact
Gain control of enchanted artifact.
Young telepaths are never content to play with their own toys.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-21, 06:38 PM
Here's one for the un-sets:

Yo Dawg 2UR

Un-set or no, you could probably get away with making it cheaper; Copy Enchantment (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=83807) does roughly the same thing, with the additional benefit of being able to give yourself a copy of an opponent's enchantment.

mystic1110
2014-03-31, 08:27 AM
FORUMS ARE BACK :smallbiggrin:

When should I get judging up given that there was a week and two day delay?

Beacon of Chaos
2014-03-31, 10:23 AM
The forums went down only a day or so after you posted the contest, I think. Maybe 6 days from now?

My entry (which I was actually in the middle of typing went the forums went down)

Mysterious Defense 2WW

Enchantment - Aura - R

Enchant player or planeswalker

Enchanted player or planeswalker has absorb 1. (If a source would deal damage to that player or planeswalker, prevent 1 of that damage.)

If ~ enchants a player, at the beginning of your upkeep that player gains 2 life.

If ~ enchants a planeswalker, at the beginning of your upkeep put a loyalty counter on that planeswalker.

Decided a flat absorb 2 worked better than the scaling version.

Edit 2: Since absorb stacks with itself, multiple copies could get out of hand real quick, so I dialed it back to absorb 1 and pumped the cost a bit. Compare to Urza's Armor.

AgentPaper
2014-03-31, 01:36 PM
FORUMS ARE BACK :smallbiggrin:

When should I get judging up given that there was a week and two day delay?

As I posted before the site went down, 2 days after the site came back up, so Wednesday, March 2nd.

If you think we need more time we can extend that, but with the downtime there should have been plenty of time for people to make their cards.

Fable Wright
2014-03-31, 02:04 PM
Forbidden Knowledge BBB
Enchantment- Aura Curse R
Enchant Player
Whenever enchanted player would draw a card, they instead draw 2 cards and lose 2 life.

Eternis
2014-03-31, 04:15 PM
Endless Tempest - 2GG
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Player
Creatures enchanted player controls lose flying.

mystic1110
2014-04-01, 01:42 PM
I'll have judgings up on Friday FYI - so everybody has till thursday to get the cards up. :smallsmile:

Saposhiente
2014-04-03, 02:08 PM
Uncontrolled Replication UGGG3
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant permanent
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a token into play that's a copy of enchanted permanent under enchanted permanent's controller's control, then, put a copy of ~ into play attached to that token under your control.

Powerful, but very risky, as it dies to both enchantment removal or removal of whatever it's attached to without providing any benefit on the turn it's played.

AgentPaper
2014-04-03, 02:41 PM
Eye of Mogis 1BR
Legendary Enchantment Artifact - R
Creatures you control have first strike.
1RR, T: Eye of Mogis deals 2 damage to target player.
6BB, T: Destroy target creature.

Saposhiente
2014-04-03, 03:04 PM
Eye of Mogis 1BR
Legendary Enchantment Artifact - R
Creatures you control have first strike.
1RR, T: Eye of Mogis deals 2 damage to target player.
6BB, T: Destroy target creature.

Challenge was to make an Aura other than an Enchant Creature aura, not just any Enchantment.

AgentPaper
2014-04-03, 03:17 PM
Challenge was to make an Aura other than an Enchant Creature aura, not just any Enchantment.

Derp. For some reason I thought it was "create an enchantment that doesn't enchant a creature". You'd think I would remember that since I posted it in the OP and all. Will fix.

Since this continues to be popular, I'm thinking of making another "you make the card" thread to run alongside this one, similar to how I started the "You make the set" thread earlier*. It would be another more "specialized" challenge where all of the challenges have some theme, but I haven't chosen which theme to go with yet. The options are:

1) Planeswalker: Another fun contest, as you might expect every week everyone makes a Planeswalker based on whatever additional restrictions the judge puts up. It might seem strange to limit the contest to a single card type, but there's really an incredible amount of design space in Planeswalkers, and having a contest of just them makes it a lot easier to judge them against each other, since it's often hard to judge Planeswalkers compared to other cards.

2) Fix the Card: Rather than everyone coming up with a new card, the judge posts an existing card, usually one that's "broken" in some way (overpowered, underpowered, flavor mismatch, or just not fun to play), and the challenge for everyone is to create a new version of that card that fixes whatever problems it had without fundamentally changing it. This contest is nice because it relies less on inspiration and more on pure card-crafting skill.

3) Picture: One of my favorite types of challenge from the MSE forums, and one that I haven't seen done around here much. Basically, each week the judge would post a picture, and then everyone creates a card based on that picture, either in whole or some small part of it. The great thing about this contest is that it gives the players a lot of freedom in how they make their card, while still giving enough restriction to breed creativity.

4) Challenge: Basically a rapid-fire version of the current contest. Instead of weekly rounds, every poster judges the card above them, creates a card to meet the current challenge, and then posts a new challenge for the next person to fulfill. Due to the nature of the contest, the quality of the challenges, cards, and judging tends to suffer a bit, but the contest moves quickly enough that it's usually not an issue.

I have my own favorite picked out, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks before I make the new contest, probably sometime next week.

Blue Ghost
2014-04-03, 06:06 PM
I would like a Challenge thread. I don't think we need another contest in this format, as this contest can encompass all the options. But a rapid-fire design game would be fun, and let us exercise our design muscles more than a weekly contest can.

mystic1110
2014-04-03, 06:17 PM
I was actually thinking of making a second King of the MTG hill thread that I can a couple months back - the problem with that thread was 1) I was really slow at judging every week and 2) DMofDarkness cleaned house. If I would do that thread again, I would still give out king of the hill bonuses, but at the same time open it up for community voting rather than leave it all to the judge. So something like: Each competition lasts monday through friday. Over the weekend, everyone votes on what they think the top 3 cards. you may vote for you own card. 1st place counts as 3, 2nd place counts as 2, 3rd place counts as 1. Then person with the most points (added crown bonuses) gets choosen as the new king. Then I make a new contest for the next hill. And so on . . . but that might be too complicated.

AgentPaper
2014-04-03, 07:48 PM
I was actually thinking of making a second King of the MTG hill thread that I can a couple months back - the problem with that thread was 1) I was really slow at judging every week and 2) DMofDarkness cleaned house. If I would do that thread again, I would still give out king of the hill bonuses, but at the same time open it up for community voting rather than leave it all to the judge. So something like: Each competition lasts monday through friday. Over the weekend, everyone votes on what they think the top 3 cards. you may vote for you own card. 1st place counts as 3, 2nd place counts as 2, 3rd place counts as 1. Then person with the most points (added crown bonuses) gets choosen as the new king. Then I make a new contest for the next hill. And so on . . . but that might be too complicated.

You can if you want, but I doubt it would be any more successful. If you want my advice, I'd suggest two changes:

1) Rotating judge. Any contest that relies too much on a single person to manage and arbitrate is doomed to failure. With a rotating judge, the contest is much more robust since it doesn't rely on any single person to keep going. Also, everything is subjective, and with the same judge every round, people will start to learn the judge's preferences and build their cards towards that, rather than trying to make a card that they like. And, as you noticed, if one contestant's preferences line up with the judge's more than the others, then that person will tend to win more. With a rotating judge everyone has a chance to win since even if the current judge doesn't like the same kinds of cards they do, the next one might.

As things are, if I were to drop dead tomorrow, the only thing that would change around here is that the first post would stop updating. The contests themselves would continue just fine, and eventually someone would make a new thread and then they'd be in charge of keeping the first post updated.

2) Simpler rules. I don't remember exactly what rules you had, but I do remember they were overly complex, and the fact that I can't remember them is probably a sign of the problem in itself. Card design contests are more about making cards than being a fair or competitive contest. The main role of the contest is to provide restrictions (which breed creativity and keep things fresh), a bit of friendly competition to encourage people to push themselves, and constructive criticism to help everyone refine their card-crafting skills.

Also, I'd appreciate if if you posted whatever rules you had in mind here, so that everyone can decide whether they would prefer that style of contest over the four I posted before. If so, then I'll let you post your contest and not make one of my own, and if not, then I'd request you not make the contest, at least for a bit, since I'm trying not to add a ton of new contests all at once. As the community grows, and everyone gets more comfortable with creating and judging cards, it'll be easier for people to participate in multiple contests at once but for now I want to expand more slowly.

Fortuna
2014-04-04, 12:33 AM
Scavenge Scraps 2UBG
Enchantment - Aura - R
Enchant player
Whenever enchanted player taps a land, they must untap a tapped land that one of their opponents controls.

mystic1110
2014-04-04, 10:28 AM
Binks

Aether Bond
Enchantment - Aura - MR
Enchant Planeswalker
{X}: Put ~ on the battlefield from your hand enchanting a planeswalker you control. X is the converted mana cost of that planeswalker and may only be paid with mana of that planeswalker's colors. Activate this ability only as a Sorcery.
Whenever you cast a spell you may pay {1}. If you do put a loyalty counter on enchanted planeswalker.
Whenever a loyalty ability of the enchanted planeswalker is activated you may pay {1}. If you do copy it.
"We can do this. Together."

Template on the static ability from hand is probably wrong, but should be fairly close.

I actually don't really like Enchant plansewalker cards, since planeswalkers are already MR, and this card only makes sense as a MR, but doesn't feel like an MR. That said this is really powerful as it basically acts like "copy target planeswalker"

LaZodiac

Curse of Baneful Equipment BB
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Equipment.
If Enchanted Equipment would increase power or toughness, it instead lowers power or toughness by the same amount.

I have no clue if this is formated properly, but this is an excellent card. The name might be too long, but i'm not sure.

Blue Ghost

Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant enchantment

Why does it's ability have a cost? Why not have it be a "pacifism" for enchantments?

thisisacat

Terraformation 2G

Enchantment - Aura - U

Enchant Land

All lands gain all abilities and subtypes of enchanted land.

Might cost too much compared to prismatic omen, but seeing as how it effects non-basics it might be too strong. . . if you manage to get it on a wasteland - every land you have is a wasteland. That's insane. The same goes for many other cards (serra's sanctum in an enchantment decks?!)

Jormengand

What's Yours Is Mine 2U
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant artifact
Gain control of enchanted artifact.
Young telepaths are never content to play with their own toys.

Now a days card like this are never not a rare - outside that this seems like a more powerful copy enchantment? This should probably cost at least 2UU and be rare.

Diego Havoc

The forums went down only a day or so after you posted the contest, I think. Maybe 6 days from now?

My entry (which I was actually in the middle of typing went the forums went down)

Mysterious Defense 2WW

Enchantment - Aura - R

Enchant player or planeswalker

Enchanted player or planeswalker has absorb 1. (If a source would deal damage to that player or planeswalker, prevent 1 of that damage.)

If ~ enchants a player, at the beginning of your upkeep that player gains 2 life.

If ~ enchants a planeswalker, at the beginning of your upkeep put a loyalty counter on that planeswalker.

Decided a flat absorb 2 worked better than the scaling version.

Edit 2: Since absorb stacks with itself, multiple copies could get out of hand real quick, so I dialed it back to absorb 1 and pumped the cost a bit. Compare to Urza's Armor.

The absorb seems a little out there - and the card seems quite good without that. Either gain 2 life everyturn or keep on increasing your planeswalker's loyalty. Absorb seems like an extra dig, and might be too strong of a protection combined with the other abilities.

DMofDarkness

Forbidden Knowledge BBB
Enchantment- Aura Curse R
Enchant Player
Whenever enchanted player would draw a card, they instead draw 2 cards and lose 2 life.

This is comparable to phrexian Arena except it costs BBB instead of 1BB - and costs 1 more life in exchange for being able to 1) increase draws when you use any draw spells, and 2) being able to kill your opponent. It's very powerful and well made.

Eternis

Endless Tempest - 2GG
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Player
Creatures enchanted player controls lose flying.

Compare to Gravity Sphere, this seems like the correct cost and seems like a great card! Although looking at Archetype of Imagination it might be okay to cost this at 3G? I like the card a lot!

Saposhiente

Uncontrolled Replication UGGG3
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant permanent
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a token into play that's a copy of enchanted permanent under enchanted permanent's controller's control, then, put a copy of ~ into play attached to that token under your control.

Powerful, but very risky, as it dies to both enchantment removal or removal of whatever it's attached to without providing any benefit on the turn it's played.

Did you mean for the tokens to leave play if they are no longer enchanted? Otherwise even one upkeep with this might spell game over. Other than that though it seems fine due to its high cost (although 3GGGU is a weird cost. . . .)

Random_person

Scavenge Scraps 2UBG
Enchantment - Aura - R
Enchant player
Whenever enchanted player taps a land, they must untap a tapped land that one of their opponents controls.
This is actually really interesting. Obviously it helps control decks, but it's at a really high cost, so I don't know if it would be worth it.

HypoSoc

Aether Reel 1U
Enchantment - Aura - Uncommon
Flash
Enchant Aura
1U: Return ~ and the aura its enchanting to their owners hands. Draw a card.
When the Nyxborn flooded the world, many panicked. The fishermen just switched rods.

This might ultimately be way to expensive for what it accomplishes - that is - drawing a card and returning an aura to save yourself two for ones. . . I think you can get away with mana cost and ability cost equal to U

firedaemon33

Mnemonic Enhancer - 2UU

Enchantment - Aura - R

Enchant Player

T, UUU: The enchanted player draws an extra card at the beginning of his turn.

Yuck, I really don't like tap abilities on enchantments, but a tap ability on an aura? But even if that didn't ick me out, this seems really expensive for this effect. . . compare to Honden of Seeing Winds. . .

Dr.Gunsforhands

Tolled Checkpoint 2WW
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Zone (The Battlefield, Command, Exile, and Stack zones are shared; each player has his or her own Graveyard, Hand and Library zones.)
Whenever a card enters or leaves enchanted zone, you gain one life.

A plus for originality, but C for power level. If you choose the library - does that mean that whenever you draw a card you gain 1 life? Hell, choose hand. . . then each time anyone draws a card or casts a card will mean 1 life. That's a lot of life gain. i know life gain isn't that powerful, but . . . . still that's a lot.

THIRD PLACE
DMofDarkness - you had a great card, but it felt to derivative. Phyrexian Arena riffs are getting stale.
SECOND PLACE
LaZodiac - I really actually want your card to be printed, but I feel something is off with the wording. I'm curious to see if i'm wrong, but I think that your wording doesn't work for some reason. If its any consolation you are not second place only because of the wording issue (real or imagine), I felt that the winner's card was simply cooler. Sorry :smallfrown:
WINNER
Random_person - I don't know why, this card just appealed to me on some level. It's a clever tool for control decks but too expensive for good control decks - making it a honey trap for spikes :smallsmile:

LaZodiac
2014-04-04, 10:37 AM
Congrats to Random_Person for his win! Can't wait for the next contest.

And don't worry Mystic, I had quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to word my card. Was even thinking of going for a keyword that just sort of elaborates on all of the details of the ability :smallbiggrin:

And yes, his card is much cooler :smallamused:

HypoSoc
2014-04-04, 11:08 AM
I upped the cost because it can target opponent's auras, had flash, separated costs ,and card advantage. I might have compensated too much.

Ionbound
2014-04-04, 11:35 AM
I may have overcompensated for the extra draw, but I was running under the assumption that anything giving a card advantage is REALLY good. Oh well. And I probably should have just made the ability "Once per turn, the enchanted player can pay 3 blue mana to draw a card."

TiaC
2014-04-04, 12:31 PM
Remember, it affects your opponent too. Putting it on a wasteland just means that your opponent can now kill the enchanted land with any of his lands.

Fortuna
2014-04-04, 01:51 PM
Oh, yay!

I'm glad that I submitted that one. I was seriously considering an enchant planeswalker, but the rarities just didn't make sense.

So... new contest, hm? Alright, how about...

Make a four-colour card.

To be a bit more specific, that means a card with a total of four colours between its mana cost, its actual colours (if that's different), the mana costs of its abilities, and any colours of mana that it generates for you. I'm interested to see what folks come up with.

AgentPaper
2014-04-04, 02:15 PM
Remember, it affects your opponent too. Putting it on a wasteland just means that your opponent can now kill the enchanted land with any of his lands.

Which just means that you need to use it when your opponent is tapped out, or close to it, and you have a lot of untapped lands in play. Of course, that requires you to be in the late-game (at least 6 lands, preferably many more to get the most bang for your buck) with your opponent tapped out completely, which isn't something you can always rely on happening. If this was the only way to use Terraformation, it might be OK, but as is it's only one of many, many ways to use it, and not even the most effective or abusive. Some of the most notable:

Dark Depths (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=121155): Not really effective, but definitely abusive. All lands are destroyed instantly, and now both sides have an indestructible flying 20/20. You'll now be in a deadlock as neither side can afford to attack with their Marit Lage, since if they do, their opponent will block with their own and then counter-attack for the win. They also can't attack with anything else, since again it'll just get blocked by Marit Lage.

Cloudpost (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=49050): Much mana. So fireball. Wow. Your opponent gets mana too, but since this is part of your deck's plan, you should win before that can even start to matter.

Gliimmerpost (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=209043): Doesn't give as much mana as using it on Cloudpost directly, but still a massive amount of mana, and more importantly, your opponent gets none of it.

Valakut (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=190400): What's better than dealing 3 damage when you play a mountain? How about dealing 3*X damage when you play a mountain? Even better, your opponent is out of luck unless he also happens to be running mountains, but in that case, you can just cast Terraformation on something else. Assuming you can't just win after playing this, which is also pretty likely.

Glimmervoid (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=370425): Your opponent better hope he has an artifact in play, 'cause if not, he just lost all of his lands, forever. It really says something that this isn't even the most broken way to use Terraformation.

Other cards it works well with:

Maze of Ith (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=287329)
Ancient Tomb (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=288994)
Forbidden Orchard (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=282541)
City of Brass (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370490)
Inkmoth Nexus (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=213731)
Karoo lands (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Karoo_lands)

And, of course, you can also use it to fix your mana. I guess. If you don't like winning. :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2014-04-04, 02:32 PM
-stuff-

Maze's End (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=369038) might be fun, too.

Fortuna
2014-04-04, 02:48 PM
Maze's End (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=369038) might be fun, too.

Or better, use it on a Gate when you have Maze's End out - all your lands are now Gates, and they still all have different names.

Jormengand
2014-04-04, 02:53 PM
Or better, use it on a Gate when you have Maze's End out - all your lands are now Gates, and they still all have different names.

Ouch.

Might also help you get your coalition victory out, now I come to think of it...

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-04, 06:03 PM
The rationale for the Checkpoint:So, wait, if everyone uses the same stack, and it triggers every time something enters or leaves, then I get..."

*counts on fingers*

"Two life every time anyone plays anything? Heck yeah!

Well, not quite anything; it won't work for storm copies or tokens, just cards, and even then playing lands doesn't use the stack... but, maybe if I can enchant my opponent's library with a Chromium mill deck...

eh. it doesn't do much for the first couple turns. the four-drop slot is already reserved for my planeswalkers. maybe i'll try boarding it in against mono-red or something.

Still, it wasn't close to matching most other entries. I'm happy RP won. :smallsmile:

Anyway, hmm... "four-color..."

City of Pleasure
Land - R
As City of Pleasure enters the battlefield, choose an opponent. That player chooses a color.
T: Add one mana of any color other than the chosen color to your mana pool.
They sell everything you could want, yet nobody has what they need.

Shed of Every Tool in Existence Except the One You Need
(Some OOTS goblins are working on a project inside an enormous warehouse, but are arguing frustratedly about something. "Well, look again! There's got to be a 5/16 drill bit somewhere around here.")
Artifact Land - R
As Shed of Every Tool in Existence Except the One You Need enters the battlefield, target opponent chooses a color.

Jormengand
2014-04-04, 07:27 PM
Mage's Marketplace
(A fairly chaotic marketplace, with Azorius and Boros guards patrolling, and an Orzhovan buying from an Izzet shopkeeper, while Rakdos guilders raise hell and a shadow in the corner indicates possibly Dimir presence. The four green guilds, Selesnya, Simic, Gruul and Golgari, are absent.)
Land - R
1W: Add B to your mana pool.
1B: Add W to your mana pool.
1R: Add U to your mana pool.
1U: Add R to your mana pool.
Everything comes at extortionate prices, and some of the guilds won't sell there, but it's good if you need something powerful in a hurry.

Magic Mart
(A D&D-esque adventuring party is making a shopping trip. The fighter is arguing with a goblin over the price of a sword, the rogue is stealing from the back room, the wizard is browsing and the cleric is standing in the nearby town square preaching.)
Land - R
How much for a wand of Cure Light Wounds?

LaZodiac
2014-04-04, 07:55 PM
Life Feeding Necro-Shaman 2RG
Creature - Zombie Viashano Shaman (R)
Devour 1
Unearth UB
When this creature has a counter on it, ignore the effect of Unearth
3/2
It lived to eat. It eats to live again.

(Oh man, you got my Jund in your Grixis. You got your Grixis in my Jund)

HypoSoc
2014-04-04, 09:29 PM
Bane of Order UBRG
Creature - Incarnation - Rare
Flying, Trample, Haste
Creatures you don't control get -1/-1.
3/3
Cities, Farmsteads, Livelihoods, all rubble in its wake.

Supposed to be a "Screw white weenies" on a stick, but I don't know if I accomplished that.

Ionbound
2014-04-05, 12:56 PM
Oath to Unity - GRWB

Sorcery - R

Sacrifice a creature

All other creatures you control gain that creature's power/toughness

The needs of the many outweigh those of the one.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-04-05, 02:26 PM
Hellemental 1UBBRG

Creature - Elemental Horror - R

2, sacrifice a creature: Target player loses 3 life. If the sacrificed creature was red, deal 1 damage to each creature that player controls and Hellemental gains first strike until end of turn. If the sacrificed creature was green, destroy target artifact that player controls and Hellemental gains trample until end of turn. If the sacrificed creature was blue, return target permanent that player controls to its owner's hand and Hellemental gains flying until end of turn.

6/5

mystic1110
2014-04-05, 05:14 PM
Eldritch Warfare 1UBRG
Enchantment - M
"If a player would lose life, that player reveals that many cards from the top of his or her library instead. Cards revealed this way may be cast without paying their mana costs. Otherwise, exile them. (Damage causes loss of life.)
You think three dimensions makes for complicated warfare? Try eleven.

Will post new card later

AgentPaper
2014-04-05, 11:40 PM
Eldritch Warfare 1UBRG
Enchantment - M
If a player would lose life, that player reveals that many cards from the top of his or her library instead. Place onto the battlefield each permanent revealed this way under that player's control. That player may cast each instant or sorcery card revealed this way, as though it had flash and without paying its mana cost. If a player doesn't cast an instant or sorcery revealed this way, exile it. (Damage causes loss of life.)
You think three dimensions makes for complicated warfare? Try eleven.

That wording can be shortened. For example:

"If a player would lose life, that player reveals that many cards from the top of his or her library instead. Cards revealed this way may be cast without paying their mana costs. Otherwise, exile them."

This wording is based on the one from Descendant's Path, so it should be legal. "Cast without paying it's mana cost" already implies casting it right away as part of resolving the trigger, so you don't need to say anything about flash. This does work slightly differently from your version, in that you're casting permanents rather than putting them onto the battlefield, and can choose not to cast them. If you wanted to keep that, you could word it like this:

"If a player would lose life, that player reveals that many cards from the top of his or her library instead. Put any permanent cards revealed this way onto the battlefield. Instant and Sorcery cards revealed this way may be cast without paying their mana costs. Otherwise, exile them."

While the first wording can just about fit on a card along with the flavor text with 7 lines, but with the second one the flavor text brings it up to 8 lines of text. Rares and Mythics with 8 lines aren't all that uncommon, but they never have flavor text on them, so putting it on there is pushing it.

Saposhiente
2014-04-05, 11:55 PM
Also, the card is an instant stall and completely broken. For normal decks, it reads "If you would damage your opponent, instead, you get a massive disadvantage." For the Johnny who includes this card in their deck, it reads "Have a burn deck and burn yourself: Get Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, but exile all of your burn spells. Win with either milling or Laboratory Maniac."

mystic1110
2014-04-06, 09:11 AM
Also, the card is an instant stall and completely broken. For normal decks, it reads "If you would damage your opponent, instead, you get a massive disadvantage." For the Johnny who includes this card in their deck, it reads "Have a burn deck and burn yourself: Get Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, but exile all of your burn spells. Win with either milling or Laboratory Maniac."

I struggle to think of how a 5 mana, 4 color card is completely broken in a 2 card combo which would cost 6-7 mana and which requires you to have a third card on the top of your library?

Compared to existing combo decks . . . that sounds awful.

As for the stall - yeah - you damage your opponent, she gets more creatures, which damage you and you get more creatures. . . and so on.

@AgentPaper : thanks for the wording fix!!

Eternis
2014-04-06, 10:06 AM
The Rant:

I struggle to think of how a 5 mana, 4 color card is completely broken in a 2 card combo which would cost 6-7 mana and which requires you to have a third card on the top of your library?

Compared to existing combo decks . . . that sounds awful.
Erm, you seem to have misunderstood.
What Saposhiente is saying is that, when this card in play, a burn deck essentially receives both the card "Omniscience" and the card "Enter the Infinite" in a single, FIVE MANA card. That also guarantees victory if you have a "Laboratory Maniac" in your deck AT ALL, alongside all that needs to be a single card that allows you to draw a card.
Hell, that with Teferi, mage of zhalfir ALONE practically guarantees that you've won the game.
It is INCREDIBLY broken and ENSURES victory for a properly-crafted deck, something which VERY FEW, if any combos (in UNLIMITED, let alone other deck limitations) can do.

On the subject of stall: BOARDWIPE.
Specifically, plague wind or any other specified BOARDWIPE allows you to totally ignore all the negative aspects of that card, giving extra, obvious broken utilities.

Now, while some broken cards make it to play, it's often because they've misjudged something about the card or missed some subtle interactions, and they're often quickly banned.
This wouldn't even had made it to R&D.

The Card:

Borrowing Lost Time - BBUURRWW
Enchantment - Curse MR
Enchant Player
At the beginning of enchanted player's end step, that player may put an age counter on ~. If he or she does, that player takes an additional turn at the end of their next turn.
At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, put an age counter on ~.
2: Enchanted player loses X life, sacrifices X permanents, and discards X cards, where X is the number of age counters on ~. Any player may play this ability.
8: Put an age counter on ~. Any player may play this ability.

mystic1110
2014-04-06, 10:30 AM
But it doesn't act that way . . . the burn deck has to keep burning itself turn after turn to get Laboratory Maniac into play. And then it has to keep Laboratory Maniac in play unless Laboratory Maniac was one of the last cards revealed. Imagine spending five turns burning yourself to get Laboratory Maniac, smug in your eventual victory and then your opponent kills your maniac, attacks you for 10 or whatever, and you lose due to having no cards in your library.

Teferi, mage of zhalfir is a cool combo card and one I didn't see, but again you can still cast cards on your turn and kill Teferi or destroy Warfare. It's hardly an instant win - all it does is turn Eldritch Warfare into a card that converts all damage into mill.

Ensuring victory is not what this card does - all the combo's you have pointed out work over turns instead of win on the spot allowing you time to respond to warfare or the other cards. Not only that think of how to construct a deck with this card. . . first you need to get to 5 mana including 4 different colors. Then you need to have a bunch of burn spells. Then you need your combo cards. And definitely protection for the combo since it is permanent based. That is a lot of constraints. . . . .

Lets say 16 Lands and 10 mana accel/color fixing. Then this card and 8 cards to draw or search for it. That's 38 already. Then Lab Maniac and . . . 4/6 other great cards like Teferi and Plague wind? Or something better that's figured out later. Then lets say you have no protection and throw in 12 burn spells. . . . . Is that a broken deck? Hardly. . .

I think you are all overestimating this card, but seeing all the hate its getting, i'll submit a new card anyway

Eternis
2014-04-06, 10:55 AM
Oh God, I just figured it out...
Why there is so much hate.
That card... Removes EVERYTHING.
Mana cost? Worthless. Life? Hey, I WANT to lose it! Mill me? I'm milling myself for a/n OTK. Card advantage? I have my entire deck!
You're removing every aspect that limits a player when playing MTG, in ONE card that costs less than any other card that does a SINGLE one of those things.
In-depth.
While I hate to be "This Patronising Donkey Pit", let me spell it out for you with an example.
That card is in play, under your control.
You have Teferi, preventing counterspells.
Your deck is EXACTLY 1/3 burn spells (less than usual, but let's just say that for now.), not including grapeshot.
Every 3 cards, on average, will contain a burn spell.
Every burn spell will deal at least 2 damage, assuming you're an idiot who's playing 2 damage burn spells in a deck where mana cost doesn't actually matter.
Get the picture? It's almost always a ONE TURN dealie, even if you're forced to play more than one burn spell, because god knows why you wouldn't prepare.
..... Oh god you made it lose life....
WHY. WHY MUST YOU DO THIS. (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Shock_lands)
The MANA COST is the easy part. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[%22to%20your%20mana%20pool%22]&type=+[Creature]+[%22Artifact%22])
And why on earth would you have draw or searchers? Or unnessecary mana fixers, when you include shock lands. Your life is now just a temporary resource to burn until you draw that card.

mystic1110
2014-04-06, 11:07 AM
While I hate to be "This Patronising Donkey Pit", let me spell it out for you with an example.
That card is in play, under your control.
You have Teferi, preventing counterspells.
Your deck is EXACTLY 1/2 burn spells (less than usual, but let's just say that for now.), not including grapeshot.
Every 2 cards, on average, will contain a burn spell.
Every burn spell will deal at least 2 damage.
Get the picture? It's a ONE TURN dealie, even if you're forced to play more than one burn spell, because god knows why you wouldn't prepare.
..... Oh god you made it lose life....
WHY. WHY MUST YOU DO THIS. (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Shock_lands)

Don't worry, you're not being a douche or anything - this is simply an discussion on the power level of this card. I am taking absolutely no offense and am simply disagreeing with you. This not sarcasm.

Lets work this out. Without looking at the combo with Teferi for a second.

Turn 1 - Land
Turn 2 - Land
Turn 3 - Land + 2 (Bird of paradise or something that fixes you for 4 different mana and accels into 5 mana)
Turn 4 - Eldritch Warfare + Shock Land

Lets say the burn always burns for 3 meaning you only need around 20 burn spells in your library for you to reliably burn through all the way to Lab maniac. But lets make it easier - we are playing under the old version where you can play as many lands as possible (note: the new version doesn't let you do this) so you need to be playing a combination of 30 shock lands/burn

So we have

22 Shock Lands
8 Burn spells
12 BOP type cards
4 Eldritch Warfare
8 Draw/search ( to get Eldritch Warfare into your hand by turn 4 so you can cast it)
4 Lab Maniac
2 "Free Spots"

Again that is going with the version that lets you play shock lands. Otherwise you need to play at least 20 burn spells that all hit for three and at least 8 of them need to be 1 mana.

What we have here is a turn 4 combo - not all that fast. Also no protection for the combo. And it can be disrupted with creature kill, and any land or enchantment destruction.

Eternis
2014-04-06, 11:18 AM
Interesting points you raise.
However, there are a few issues with that.
You don't need to search/draw,
You can just delay with burn.
Your shock lands (which you can fill to 32, if you include 4 copies of all 8 dual lands in your color where necessary, so no issue there) will naturally mana fix, so birds of paradise is unnecessary.
That allows a total of 50 cards that can burn you in your deck, with two copies of Teferi and 4 of the main combo pieces.
That is, of course, assuming you don't use fetch lands, which would make mana fixing all the easier, milling all the easier, and burning all the easier.
Now, it's true that it's slow when dealing with some of the sillier combo decks, but there are some sillier combos you could pull off with this card that I haven't gotten to yet.

Firstly, Blue/red Conjurer Braids Control means a turn 5 win, almost guaranteed.
And f*ck the rest, it's 2am. IMMA SLEEEP

mystic1110
2014-04-06, 11:40 AM
Interesting points you raise.
However, there are a few issues with that.
You don't need to search/draw,
You can just delay with burn.
Your shock lands (which you can fill to 32, if you include 4 copies of all 8 dual lands in your color where necessary, so no issue there) will naturally mana fix, so birds of paradise is unnecessary.
That allows a total of 50 cards that can burn you in your deck, with two copies of Teferi and 4 of the main combo pieces.
That is, of course, assuming you don't use fetch lands, which would make mana fixing all the easier, milling all the easier, and burning all the easier.
Now, it's true that it's slow when dealing with some of the sillier combo decks, but there are some sillier combos you could pull off with this card that I haven't gotten to yet.

Firstly, Blue/red Conjurer Braids Control means a turn 5 win, almost guaranteed.
And f*ck the rest, it's 2am. IMMA SLEEEP

Granted - you don't need to search for this card, and you can try to kill/counter your way into drawing it, that sounds awful since it would take you to around turn 8 to consistently draw into a Eldritch Warfare in a 60 card deck with no draw or search.

So lets say we are going for a turn 6 win then . . . the only turn you can reasonably try to win without some sort of acceleration in the mode of BOP or whatever. And this is also . . . again assuming. . . that without mana fixers you can hit 4 colors reliably

No we have this right now

1st turn - Shock Land
2nd turn - Shock Land + 1 STUFF CARD (Burn/Kill opponent's threats or Counter/Discard Opponents disruption)
3rd turn - Shock Land
4th turn - Shock Land + 1 STUFF CARD
5th turn - Shock Land
6th turn - Eldritch warfare which you would draw into around 87% of the time during this turn. . . + Shock Land

Then you better get another shock land or burn card in the top 2 cards. . . if you do, hopefully the combo can continue. Lets just assume the combo will go off perfectly. . .

You are playing with

30 Shock Lands
4 Eldritch Warfare
2 Lab Maniac (Guess you only need 2 not 4)
24 STUFF CARDS

That is look marginally better, but again, its a really slow combo deck. Now lets look at the STUFF cards. . . You will probably need to divide them between kill and disruption since you need to take care of enchantment hate first and foremost. So that's 12 Burn spells and 12 Discard spells. At this point you're probably better served with adding 4 search cards just so you are more consistent than a high 80 at turn 6.

30 Shock Lands
4 Eldritch Warfare
4 Search Cards
2 Lab Maniac (Guess you only need 2 not 4)
10 Discard Spells
10 Burn Spells

Now it doesn't look awful, and in fact pretty good . . . maybe. But at the very least my point is that the above deck would not be powerful or broken. The problem with this card trying to act like a combo card is that the deck for it is really really hard to build.

Instead I think the card's best strategy is to play it along side a whole bunch of giant creatures with ETB effects. . . Again something that would be cool and powerful but not broken.

ALSO . . . keep in mind that this combo does not win on the spot. . . since the card does not DRAW you cards.. . . so you need to run at least 2 draw spells so you can win that turn. . .

30 Shock Lands
4 Eldritch Warfare
4 Search Cards
2 Draw cards
2 Lab Maniac
9 Discard Spells
9 Burn Spells

And even then this doesn't work with the current version which doesn't actually let you cast multiple lands in one turn, but lets ignore that for now.

Eternis
2014-04-06, 11:46 AM
I guess my main issue is that it's a card that will instantly bend the format around it in non-EDH. Everyone would be playing enchantment removal just to deal with that card, even in envhantment-light sets. And in EDH, It Just Gets Silly.

mystic1110
2014-04-06, 11:51 AM
But that's the whole point of the deck not being that good. The combo deck is slow, so combo and aggro decks that win by turn 5/6 would be completely fine and can just ignore it (these decks can deal with the paltry distruption this deck would throw around).. . . control decks will just counter the only spell you need to cast.

I just doubt that this card will warp the format AT ALL.

In EDH. . . this card will only be played in a 5 color general deck - which aren't that good to begin with. At that point in EDH this would not be a combo card although it would make an EDH game weird - but in my opinion it would make it weird in an awesome way.

Misothene
2014-04-06, 12:30 PM
I know it's already been extensively discussed for other things, but wouldn't Eldritch Warfare let you use a card like Immolating Souleater (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=233058) to instantly flop your library onto the table? There are a lot more cards which have life-only activated abilities, which would give it a lot more redundancy than most combo decks have.

mystic1110
2014-04-06, 12:51 PM
I don't know if paying life counts as losing life, but even if it does that combo would cost 3BGRU. . . and at that point you have to have a reason why you would rather play that combo verse splinter twin, which has redundancy on both ends of the combo and is safely in UR, giving it counters, draw, and burn. . .

Eternis
2014-04-06, 06:14 PM
I must point out that you can achieve a much better effect through Braids, conjurer adept.
Play it turn four.
Get the enchantment for free on turn five.
You now have ALL the counterspells you need, as well as all the burn. You don't even need to mana fix, because you're only in two colours (hell, with the right cards you could go mono-blue).

mystic1110
2014-04-06, 06:33 PM
I must point out that you can achieve a much better effect through Braids, conjurer adept.
Play it turn four.
Get the enchantment for free on turn five.
You now have ALL the counterspells you need, as well as all the burn. You don't even need to mana fix, because you're only in two colours (hell, with the right cards you could go mono-blue).

But that just turns it into a 3 card combo (braids + warfare + card to set the combo off). Not only that 1) braids lets the opponent drop a card first (which is why it's not played today) 2) and you give your opponent a whole turn to respond yo braids (if they kill braids, what do you do?). At this point, you go from a promising wacky combo deck that has some issues with speed and protection to a bad one trick pony.

Eternis
2014-04-07, 02:56 AM
RANT RANT RANT RANT I'm tired, and honestly I can't be bothered discussing this card anymore.
My only, FINAL point is this, and it is IRREFUTABLE:
This card changes the entire goal of the game for both players in a way that invalidates certain types of decks. As such, I consider it a poorly-designed card.

mystic1110
2014-04-07, 07:51 AM
Fair enough, since that was the whole point of the card. Also I agree. . . we talked way too much about a card I already decided that I would not submit. Thank you for being a spirited debater Eternis! :smallsmile:

Binks
2014-04-07, 10:57 AM
A four color card? Well that obviously means a possible 4 color commander :smallbiggrin:.

Malcath, Miracle Worker - 2WUGR
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (MR)
The first non-black non-land card you draw each turn gains "Miracle X" where X is equal to half its converted mana cost rounded up.
"In the days following the destruction of the Helvault some Cathars found more power than they had ever known before."
1/4

HypoSoc
2014-04-07, 12:22 PM
That would have wonky interaction with lands and spells with no mana cost.

Binks
2014-04-07, 12:29 PM
True. Edited for non-land, but I can't think of an easy way to deal with spells that have no CMC right now...hmm.

Landis963
2014-04-07, 12:31 PM
That would have wonky interaction with lands and spells with no mana cost.

Easily fixed; It specifically specifies "non-land" (now, apparently) and it just needs some reminder text that says that cards without mana costs can't be played this way.

LaZodiac
2014-04-07, 12:33 PM
Easily fixed; It specifically specifies "non-land" (now, apparently) and it just needs some reminder text that says that cards without mana costs can't be played this way.

It'd work relatively simply, I imagine. Things that cost 0 are just cast for 0. Things that cost X are cost for X divide 2.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-08, 11:35 AM
It'd work relatively simply, I imagine. Things that cost 0 are just cast for 0. Things that cost X are cost for X divide 2.

X counts as 0 when you're looking at the CMC. If you try to cast an X-spell for this miracle cost, you won't actually be able to pay anything, so X will always be zero.

Of course, you could just put it into your hand and play it normally, so it's not like it's a real drawback. The most interesting part to me is that he effectively fixes the mana for you, so you can miracle up heavy black cards and play them just fine.

mystic1110
2014-04-08, 09:08 PM
Okay Round 2 for me :smalltongue:

Rahoal, The Defiant WBRG
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior R
You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life except during your end step.
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you and Rahoal is in your graveyard, you may pay Rahoal's mana cost. If you do place Rahoal onto the battlefield.
If I must see the devil before this day is through, I shall make sure you are there to great me!
4/4

Saposhiente
2014-04-08, 09:16 PM
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you and Rahoal is in your graveyard, you may pay Rahoal's mana cost. If you do place Rahoal onto the battlefield.

Nitpick: Why not use "Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, you may cast ~ from your graveyard."? Only functional difference is that it can then be counterspelled.

mystic1110
2014-04-08, 09:22 PM
Eh I could change it, but getting around counter spells seems pretty sweet :smalltongue:

AgentPaper
2014-04-08, 09:41 PM
Eh I could change it, but getting around counter spells seems pretty sweet :smalltongue:

"Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, you may cast Rahoal from your graveyard. When cast this way, Rahoal can't be countered."

"Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you and Rahoal is in your graveyard, you may pay Rahoal's mana cost. If you do place Rahoal onto the battlefield."

Still a bit shorter. :smallsmile:

Fable Wright
2014-04-08, 09:47 PM
Act of Desperation WUBR
Instant MR
Exile a non-token permanent you control. If you do, choose one: Draw a card, or put a 2/2 White Knight token with Defender on the battlefield, or destroy a permanent you don't control at random, or target player exiles a card from their hand at random.
Replicate 0

Lord Ruby34
2014-04-09, 02:34 PM
Miguel, Blazing Champion 1RW
Legendary Creature- Human Wizard Knight MR
Haste, Soulbond

As long as Miguel, Blazing Champion is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has RW Tap: Deal damage to target creature or player equal to the number of creatures you control.

If the creature Miguel, Blazing Champion is paired with is sent to the graveyard transform Miguel, Blazing Champion.
1/1

///

Miguel, Calculating Tyrant
(U/B color indicator) Legendary Creature- Human Wizard Warrior MR
When this creature transforms into Miguel, Calculating Tyrant destroy all other creatures you control and then gain control of all creatures your opponents control.

Sacrifice another creature you own: Gain Control of target creature an opponent controls.
4/4

Mythic Rares don't always use reminder text for their keywords, as far as I know. I took advantage of it here. There's also probably a way to clean up the wording on some of his abilities, so if anyone thinks of something I'd be grateful for if you pointed it out.

Jormengand
2014-04-09, 02:48 PM
Miguel, Blazing Champion

...Miguel, Blazing Hero is paired with another creature...

Due to a bit of text-name discrepancy, you've created something which is very unlikely to happen - change his name somehow, I guess? Anyway, doubt it was intended. :smalltongue:

Lord Ruby34
2014-04-09, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I changed the name halfway through the card and apparently forgot to check the entire thing. Thanks for catching that.

Blue Ghost
2014-04-09, 04:37 PM
Blue Ghost

Why does it's ability have a cost? Why not have it be a "pacifism" for enchantments?

The idea was that you could put it on a symmetrical enchantment like Dictate of Kruphix, and by strategically turning it on and off, make it only benefit you.

Entropos, the Paradox - 3{U/R}{B/G}
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Elemental (M)
Constellation When Entropos, the Paradox or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, draw two cards, then discard a card at random.
When a nonenchantment creature dies, place it on the battlefield under your control. It is an enchantment in addition to its other types.
3/4

Fortuna
2014-04-11, 06:35 PM
Judging time!

City of Pleasure
Land - R
As City of Pleasure enters the battlefield, choose an opponent. That player chooses a color.
They sell everything you could want, yet nobody has what they need.

Okay, that's cheating just a tiny bit. :smalltongue: But I'll let that slide. This card is interesting, and taps into an area of lands-that-just-tap-for-mana that I think has potential. It's also simple, which is good. My biggest problem with it is power level. In any tri-colour deck, this is essentially a dual land whose only drawback is that it happens not to be the one you need - if drawn early, it doesn't even have that drawback, as the opponent can only guess, and if drawn late you likely already have your colours anyway. I don't see this ever being printed outside of a Commander set or the like.

Mage's Marketplace
(A fairly chaotic marketplace, with Azorius and Boros guards patrolling, and an Orzhovan buying from an Izzet shopkeeper, while Rakdos guilders raise hell and a shadow in the corner indicates possibly Dimir presence. The four green guilds, Selesnya, Simic, Gruul and Golgari, are absent.)
Land - R
Everything comes at extortionate prices, and some of the guilds won't sell there, but it's good if you need something powerful in a hurry.

This... is really bad. It eats a land drop to allow you to pay a mana to convert between two pairs of colours - not to convert freely, or even to convert freely among four colours. It's also a land that doesn't tap for mana, which as I understand it is considered poor form these days. Also, mechanically, it mostly supports Orzhov, Izzet, and 3-4 colours (insofar as it supports at all, which frankly is minimal). Overall, not massively well-conceived and massively underpowered.

Life Feeding Necro-Shaman 2RG
Creature - Zombie Viashano Shaman (R)
Devour 1
Unearth UB
When this creature has a counter on it, ignore the effect of Unearth
3/2
It lived to eat. It eats to live again.

Hm. I kind of see what you're going for, but I think power-wise you badly overshot the mark. Combined with any sort of token generation (easily available in green and red), any repeatable graveyard recursion for anything (available in black - consider Gravecrawler (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=222902)), any way to put a +1/+1 counter on it quickly (easily available, again, in green), or any other way to put a counter on it (harder, but doable), this becomes extremely powerful, being essentially UB for a 4/3 haste that casts from your graveyard. I would seriously consider running this in a UB deck and ignoring its normal casting cost, instead discarding it or searching it to graveyard and proceeding from there. A nice idea, but I think you underestimated the power of its third ability.

Bane of Order UBRG
Creature - Incarnation - Rare
Flying, Trample, Haste
Creatures you don't control get -1/-1.
3/3
Cities, Farmsteads, Livelihoods, all rubble in its wake.

So close! This card is very nearly perfect. It has, however, one great flaw - it dies to angels. It wipes out soldiers, it eats knights for breakfast (or flies over them), but when put up against the iconic white creatures, it will generally at best trade with them. It ought perhaps to have had first strike instead of haste, or else to have a larger body (and a slightly higher mana cost to go with it). If you had taken either of those paths, I think this would have been a clear winner for the contest. The one other nitpick that I have is that trample and flying have pretty poor synergy, but there's a shortage of good keywords in blue. Perhaps you could have chosen shroud from green instead of trample?

Oath to Unity - GRWB
Sorcery - R
Sacrifice a creature
All other creatures you control gain that creature's power/toughness
The needs of the many outweigh those of the one.

This is rather badly worded - so much so that I can't actually tell what it's supposed to do. It's either meant to turn all of your creatures into clones-lite of the creature you sacrifice, or give all your creatures +X/+Y where X is the sacrificed creature's power and Y its toughness. Because I can't tell what it does, I can't rate it very high. In addition, this isn't black, and it's not very red, and if it's changing rather than boosting power and toughness it's a little bit blue, so your colours were off as well.

Hellemental 1UBBRG
Creature - Elemental Horror - R
2, sacrifice a creature: Target player loses 3 life. If the sacrificed creature was red, deal 1 damage to each creature that player controls and Hellemental gains first strike until end of turn. If the sacrificed creature was green, destroy target artifact that player controls and Hellemental gains trample until end of turn. If the sacrificed creature was blue, return target permanent that player controls to its owner's hand and Hellemental gains flying until end of turn.
6/5

Hooo boy, that's a lot of text, and a lot of it's conditional. That makes this card a little hard to judge, power-wise. However, I will say that in terms of elegance, this card loses some points with me. This card feels like a black card to which extra effects have been stapled, and doesn't really excite me, so overall I call this card a bit of a flop.

Borrowing Lost Time - BBUURRWW
Enchantment - Curse MR
Enchant Player
At the beginning of enchanted player's end step, that player may put an age counter on ~. If he or she does, that player takes an additional turn at the end of their next turn.
At the beginning of enchanted player's upkeep, put an age counter on ~.
2: Enchanted player loses X life, sacrifices X permanents, and discards X cards, where X is the number of age counters on ~. Any player may play this ability.
8: Put an age counter on ~. Any player may play this ability.

Hm. I'm not sure what to make of this. It costs a lot of mana. Played on yourself, it leaves you wide open to a lot of loss, which will eventually include sacrificing the card itself. Played on an enemy, it offers them the potential of infinite turns. I'm... just not sure what I want to do with this card - it pulls in two directions at once, and not in an exciting 'but this could be better' way. Rather, either method has significant enough drawbacks to make this card feel confused.

It also, on another note, has the potential for seriously broken combo with any means of removing its age counters, but I think its cost makes that permissible. Finally, I'm unsure of its colours - it doesn't seem particularly green in either mode, although it can be red or black depending on how it's played, and time manipulation is always blue. Still, this is probably more UBR than UBRG.

Malcath, Miracle Worker - 2WUGR
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (MR)
The first non-black non-land card you draw each turn gains "Miracle X" where X is equal to half its converted mana cost rounded up.
"In the days following the destruction of the Helvault some Cathars found more power than they had ever known before."
1/4

This is worded a bit oddly - it should probably be "If the first card you draw in a turn is not black and not a land, it gains Miracle X, where X is equal to half its converted mana cost rounded up."

On a power note, this is either rather mediocre (if played without enablers), or really gods-damned ridiculous (if played with scry, or any other way to easily manipulate the top of your deck). It also combos extraordinarily well with Temple Bell (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376540) and its ilk, allowing you to miracle up cards on your opponents' turns on demand.

On the whole, I think this is too strong when played with the obvious accompaniments to be right.

Okay Round 2 for me :smalltongue:
Rahoal, The Defiant WBRG
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior R
You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life except during your end step.
If I must see the devil before this day is through, I shall make sure you are there to great me!
4/4

Hmm. I'm not sure what this is supposed to be doing. The thing about not losing the game makes sense, and I suppose the second ability is supposed to bring him back when damage is about to kill you, but the problem is that the way you've worded it the damage will kill you before he gets brought back. Also, he's not red.

Act of Desperation WUBR
Instant MR
Exile a non-token permanent you control. If you do, choose one: Draw a card, or put a 2/2 White Knight token with Defender on the battlefield, or destroy a permanent you don't control at random, or target player exiles a card from their hand at random.
Replicate 0

This... I'm not sure what to say. It seems pretty bad, all things considered. I'm not sure you'd ever want to cast this except as, well, an act of desperation, and under those circumstances I'm not sure it would save you. It also hurts that you exile non-tokens to destroy what might be tokens. Overall, this card just seems a little too painful to be good.

Miguel, Blazing Champion 1RW
Legendary Creature- Human Wizard Knight MR
Haste, Soulbond
As long as Miguel, Blazing Champion is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has RW Tap: Deal damage to target creature or player equal to the number of creatures you control.
If the creature Miguel, Blazing Champion is paired with is sent to the graveyard transform Miguel, Blazing Champion.
1/1

///

Miguel, Calculating Tyrant
(U/B color indicator) Legendary Creature- Human Wizard Warrior MR
When this creature transforms into Miguel, Calculating Tyrant destroy all other creatures you control and then gain control of all creatures your opponents control.
Sacrifice another creature you own: Gain Control of target creature an opponent controls.
4/4

Hm. Interesting notion. I have only one real problem with it, but it's a significant one - the effects of Miguel, Calculating Tyrant, are not appropriate to white/red, but the card is in fact playable in white/red. I would have required the player to pay a cost - either {U/B} or UB - to transform him. Otherwise, pretty good.

Entropos, the Paradox - 3{U/R}{B/G}
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Elemental (M)
Constellation When Entropos, the Paradox or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, draw two cards, then discard a card at random.
When a nonenchantment creature dies, place it on the battlefield under your control. It is an enchantment in addition to its other types.
3/4

Hmm. Double hybrid is a difficult thing. The trick with hybrid mana is that using it says "This card works in either of these colours". Using double hybrid, as here, says that Entropos is appropriate for UB, UG, RB or RG. I think you can make a case for UB and RB, but I don't think either of the other two works, so that's a strike against it immediately. On the other hand, I like the synergy between the abilities - it took me a moment to spot, but having seen it, I like it. Good show there.

In third place... Blue Ghost, with Entropos, the Paradox.
Despite some issues with the colouring, I felt this was a solid entry overall.

In second place... Dr. Gunsforhands, with City of Pleasure.
A bit of a cheat, but probably the most elegant approach to this contest.

And in first place... HypoSoc, with Bane of Order.
This, I felt, was the best approach to the question of what it means to be a four-colour card - it means not being the other colour. Although I would have tweaked it some, the basic idea and execution were sound, and I feel HypoSoc deserves the win for this card.

LaZodiac
2014-04-11, 06:39 PM
Darn, I lost again :smallsigh:

Oh well, congrats to the winner :smallbiggrin:

Ionbound
2014-04-11, 08:59 PM
1: Yeah, I meant +X/+Y
2: I should have switched Black for Blue, but I think it fits the White/Red fluff, which was what I was looking at when I decided the colors.

Fable Wright
2014-04-11, 09:22 PM
This... I'm not sure what to say. It seems pretty bad, all things considered. I'm not sure you'd ever want to cast this except as, well, an act of desperation, and under those circumstances I'm not sure it would save you. It also hurts that you exile non-tokens to destroy what might be tokens. Overall, this card just seems a little too painful to be good.

...Are we seeing the same card?
The key part of this is that you can get rid of any permanent that isn't doing you much good anymore. In games that go long, this means that you can remove some basics/mana rocks/mana dorks/early drops that you don't need any more for a full hand and then some, while keeping relevant cards on the field. Combined with Wakestone Gargoyle or similar, it can lead to EoT army (plus your loses their hand), next turn alpha strike for the win. It is fantastic Wrath insurance to boot, especially against creatureless control decks. Also fantastic in limited, as when games go long and you get flooded, this turns into a fantastic, fantastic card. The factor you're forgetting is that you choose what you keep, so you just free up resources that you no longer have use for in exchange for effective card advantage.

Fortuna
2014-04-11, 10:31 PM
...Are we seeing the same card?
The key part of this is that you can get rid of any permanent that isn't doing you much good anymore. In games that go long, this means that you can remove some basics/mana rocks/mana dorks/early drops that you don't need any more for a full hand and then some, while keeping relevant cards on the field. Combined with Wakestone Gargoyle or similar, it can lead to EoT army (plus your loses their hand), next turn alpha strike for the win. It is fantastic Wrath insurance to boot, especially against creatureless control decks. Also fantastic in limited, as when games go long and you get flooded, this turns into a fantastic, fantastic card. The factor you're forgetting is that you choose what you keep, so you just free up resources that you no longer have use for in exchange for effective card advantage.

Perhaps. In my experience, resources that you no longer have a use for tend not to be in great supply, and none of the effects that replace those resources are staggeringly powerful. I don't know - my first impression is not good. I could be wrong.

Eternis
2014-04-12, 04:02 AM
Judging time!

Hm. I'm not sure what to make of this. It costs a lot of mana. Played on yourself, it leaves you wide open to a lot of loss, which will eventually include sacrificing the card itself. Played on an enemy, it offers them the potential of infinite turns. I'm... just not sure what I want to do with this card - it pulls in two directions at once, and not in an exciting 'but this could be better' way. Rather, either method has significant enough drawbacks to make this card feel confused.

It also, on another note, has the potential for seriously broken combo with any means of removing its age counters, but I think its cost makes that permissible. Finally, I'm unsure of its colours - it doesn't seem particularly green in either mode, although it can be red or black depending on how it's played, and time manipulation is always blue. Still, this is probably more UBR than UBRG.

Erm....
It's not green.
It's Black, Blue, White, and Red. No green there whatsoever.
Now, the rest of it is accurate. It COULD be overpowered with a counter removal card that removes age counters, although there are precious few of those.
At the same time,
Firstly, four mana cards are very rarely played outside of multiplayer due to the sheer difficulty in pulling it off in the short time frame required in the current global metagame.
Secondly, as a consequence of that, there's no way to get around the fact that you're going to lose permanents, even with near-infinite turns.
As such, it should only be played on opponents unless you're feeling really frisky. Which is why I made it specifically a Curse rather than simply an enchant player as has been designed before. That, and by giving that player available turns, you're also making them a major threat...
which can be dealt with by paying 2 mana.
Now, the card is overly complex and in no way deserves a spot on the winner's podium, I just wanted to have my little rant :smallbiggrin:

On the subject of Blue ghost however:
The random draw/discard works in BOTH red and blue, and creature recursion works in both green and black. Honestly, MY problem with the card is that it could very easily be construed as overpowered.

On the subject of Dr. G4H:
... You've asked us for a freaking four-colour card. You're NEVER going to see it outside of multiplayer, the most popular format of which is commander. Seriously, were you expecting people to REGULARLY PLAY FOUR COLOURS in a global metagame where three colour cards are considered weak due to their general unplayability?

On the subject of Bane of Order:
Yeah, it totally deserved to win. A little underpowered for the difficulty of pulling off four mana of different colours, but whatever.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-04-15, 04:39 AM
Congrats to HypoSoc!

Has anyone PMed him to let him know he won?

Fortuna
2014-04-15, 05:58 AM
Not I - ought I to have?

Beacon of Chaos
2014-04-15, 06:14 AM
Not I - ought I to have?
Well, not usually, but it's been, what, three days? Maybe he forgot about the thread?

HypoSoc
2014-04-15, 11:38 AM
Sorry, was busy on a trip with limited access to the forum.

Make a card based on the words "Intelligent Goblin" bonus points for humor.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-15, 12:02 PM
Crimson Mantle of The Dark One 1R(w/b)
Legendary Artifact Enchantment - R
Goblins you control get +1/+1.
3R, T, sacrifice a gate: Exile target god or land.

On the subject of Dr. G4H:
... You've asked us for a freaking four-colour card. You're NEVER going to see it outside of multiplayer, the most popular format of which is commander. Seriously, were you expecting people to REGULARLY PLAY FOUR COLOURS in a global metagame where three colour cards are considered weak due to their general unplayability?
Uh... thanks for your support?

Really, I knew that my entry was certainly not four-color on account of lands being, you know, colorless. My reasoning for submitting it anyway was that RP actually listed the ability to tap for a certain color as one of the possible ways to, "be," in a color for his purposes. It was between that and revisiting Nephilim ideas from Mystic1110's old contest.

mystic1110
2014-04-15, 12:55 PM
Akadaka, The Smartest Goblin R
Legendary Creature - Goblin
As long as you don't control a mountain or another red permanent Akadaka is blue instead of red.
As long as Akadaka is blue whenever you play a basic mountain, you may draw two cards.
As long as Akadaka is red it has Protection from Blue.
Goblin Scholar is basically an Oxymoron.
1/1

Goblin Prohpet R
Creature - Goblin R
Whenever you would draw a card instead target opponent looks at the top 5 cards of your library, and places 2 of them into your hand and the rest on the top of your library in any order.
"He is invaluable - every piece of information he tells us is the completely wrong. . . so if we assume the opposite, we usually win." - Mila Army General
1/1

Fable Wright
2014-04-15, 01:44 PM
Akadaka, The Smartest Goblin R
Legendary Creature - Goblin
As long as you don't control a mountain or another red permanent Akadaka is blue instead of red.
As long as Akadaka is blue whenever you play a basic mountain, you may draw two cards.
Goblin Scholar is basically an Oxymoron.
1/1

This seems ridiculously breakable with Lace effects.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-15, 01:50 PM
This seems ridiculously breakable with Lace effects.

Sure, but then you have to run lace effects.

mystic1110
2014-04-15, 02:00 PM
Edited it to make lacing it into blue harder. Best bet that I see to make it repeatable is Distorting Lens?

Jormengand
2014-04-15, 02:07 PM
Gork, Strong but Cunning 2RB
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Goblin God MR
So long as as the total converted mana cost of goblins you control is less than 10, Gork isn't a creature.
Sacrifice a goblin you control: Scry X, where X is that goblin's converted mana cost, then draw a card.
Or possibly Mork.
4/4

LaZodiac
2014-04-15, 02:18 PM
Goblin Brain Surgeon R
Creature - Goblin Shaman (U)
{R}, {T} Target creature becomes a Goblin in addition to other creature types
It was less "fine cutting" and more "removal" but hey, it worked! Jace is now likeable a goblin!
1/1

Fable Wright
2014-04-15, 02:26 PM
Edited it to make lacing it into blue harder. Best bet that I see to make it repeatable is Distorting Lens?

It still seems rather good with Trait Doctoring the Mountain to Island, but it is less breakable now.

mystic1110
2014-04-15, 02:35 PM
I think it falls into the camp of cards that are breakable, but not worth the effort to break them, but that's just my opinion

Also my opinion

LaZodiac should win hands down since I burst out laughing out loud when I read his/her card :smallbiggrin:

LaZodiac
2014-04-15, 02:39 PM
I think it falls into the camp of cards that are breakable, but not worth the effort to break them, but that's just my opinion

Also my opinion

LaZodiac should win hands down since I burst out laughing out loud when I read his/her card :smallbiggrin:

Hey, I have a gender symbol for a reason :smallamused:

This contest is really fun since it balances "make a good card" with "make it involve a silly theme". Thus, it gave me a lot of ideas to work with! Good luck everyone :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2014-04-15, 02:59 PM
It still seems rather good with Trait Doctoring the Mountain to Island, but it is less breakable now.

Yes, but this would be literally the only time Trait doctoring is actually USEFUL. :smalltongue: