PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card II: Wrath of Karn

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Fortuna
2014-04-15, 03:40 PM
Gork, Strong but Cunning 2RB
Artifact Enchantment Creature - Goblin God MR
So long as your devotion to goblins is less than 10, Gork isn't a creature. (Your devotion to goblins is the total converted mana cost of goblins you control.)
Sacrifice a goblin you control: Scry X, where X is that goblin's converted mana cost, then draw a card.
Or possibly Mork.
4/4

Nitpick - I'm not sure all that is going to fit on the type line. I know that Legendary Enchantment Creature - God is pushing the absolute limits, after all.

Anyway, I'm going to take a slightly different approach here...

Goblin Torture-Master 3B
Creature - Goblin Rogue U
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on each tapped non-Goblin creature.
1/1
Most goblins take delight in poking at the vulnerable - but it takes an intelligent goblin to be truly cruel.

AgentPaper
2014-04-15, 03:44 PM
Nitpick - I'm not sure all that is going to fit on the type line. I know that Legendary Enchantment Creature - God is pushing the absolute limits, after all.[/I]

Checked this out in MSE, it does squish the text a bit but it's still readable.

Fortuna
2014-04-15, 03:46 PM
Checked this out in MSE, it does squish the text a bit but it's still readable.

Huh. Good to know.

Ionbound
2014-04-15, 03:50 PM
Goblin Engineering 2RRR

Enchantment-R

Enchant Player

All Goblins the enchanted player controls get +1/+1

All other creatures the enchanted player control get -1/-1

It's brilliant...For a given value of brilliant. I still can't figure out how it works, though.

EDITLOG: Added one more R and increased rarity to compensate for the -1/-1, and changed terminology from "you" to "enchanted Player"

onasuma
2014-04-15, 04:00 PM
Goblin Historian 1R
Creature - Goblin Scholar U
Exile a goblin in a graveyard: ~ is indestructable until end of turn.
Groznak's mistake was that he dropped his sword. Skelt remedied this by not bringing one.
1/1

Saposhiente
2014-04-15, 05:15 PM
Goblin Engineering 2RR

Enchantment-U

Enchant Player

All Goblins you control get +1/+1

All other creatures you control get -1/-1

It's brilliant...For a given value of brilliant. I still can't figure out how it works, though.

This is really bad but Red doesn't get buffs so it's probably fine. Timmy cards!

Fable Wright
2014-04-15, 05:28 PM
Goblin Ingenuity 1RR

Tribal Enchantment - Goblin R
Sacrifice an untapped Goblin you control: Gain control of target artifact until end of turn. Untap it. If it's a creature, it gains haste until end of turn.
At the beginning of each end step, sacrifice all artifacts you control and deal X damage to each creature and player, where X is the number of artifacts sacrificed this way.
[I]WHEEEE- KABOOM

Ionbound
2014-04-15, 05:30 PM
This is really bad but Red doesn't get buffs so it's probably fine. Timmy cards!

Really? It strikes me as a Johnny, because if you win with it it will be in an elegantly stupid and truly goblin-ish fashion. But yeah, it's only useful if you're running pure Goblin. Or you could put it on your opponent...

AgentPaper
2014-04-15, 05:37 PM
Goblin Looter 2R
Creature - Goblin Warrior U
Haste
When Goblin Looter enters the battlefield, gain control of target non-creature artifact. Untap that artifact. Sacrifice it at the beginning of your next end step.
Pillage, then burn.
2/2

Misothene
2014-04-15, 06:55 PM
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Goblin God MR
So long as your devotion to goblins is less than 10, Gork isn't a creature. (Your devotion to goblins is the total converted mana cost of goblins you control.)
Sacrifice a goblin you control: Scry X, where X is that goblin's converted mana cost, then draw a card.
Or possibly Mork.
4/4

This isn't how devotion works; the word "devotion" in Magic terminology only looks at colored mana symbols. Goblin is neither a color nor something that will appear in a mana symbol. While you could add this meaning to the comprehensive rules, it would be a much more confusing mechanic as it would look at far, far more things (the colored mana symbols, total CMC, creature type, etc.) and be inconsistent in which things it's looking at and when. You can just have the ability "Gork isn't a creature as long as the total converted mana cost of goblin permanents you control is less than 10," but it isn't devotion.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-04-15, 06:58 PM
Blurt, Goblin Philosopher 2UR

Legendary Creature - Goblin R

U,T: The next time a spell you control would deal damage to a single target, it deals half that damage, rounded down, and you draw cards equal to the damage dealt.

[I]"Yes, but why is the shiny one best?"

1/1

Fortuna
2014-04-15, 07:02 PM

Whenever a spell you control would deal damage, it deals half that damage, rounded down, and you draw cards equal to the damage dealt.

1/1

So... Earthquake (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=247315) for 2 and I draw a card for each non-flying creature, plus another for each player? While still pinging the board? Or god forbid, Earthquake for 4. That's five mana - without necessarily any blue in there, mind - to draw a bare minimum of six cards, if there's no other creatures on the field.

Eternis
2014-04-16, 08:40 AM
Ilk, the Prepared 2RUW
Tap another two untapped goblin creatures you control: Choose one or more of the following -
Untap ~, target unblocked attacking creature becomes blocked, and/or remove target goblin you control from combat.
3, Tap four untapped goblins you control:
~ deals five damage, divided as you choose, among up to five target attacking creatures.
3, Sacrifice a goblin:
You may search your library for a Trap instant card and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
The other goblins are frightened of him. He actually KNOWS something.
1/4

Jormengand
2014-04-16, 10:51 AM
This isn't how devotion works; the word "devotion" in Magic terminology only looks at colored mana symbols. Goblin is neither a color nor something that will appear in a mana symbol. While you could add this meaning to the comprehensive rules, it would be a much more confusing mechanic as it would look at far, far more things (the colored mana symbols, total CMC, creature type, etc.) and be inconsistent in which things it's looking at and when. You can just have the ability "Gork isn't a creature as long as the total converted mana cost of goblin permanents you control is less than 10," but it isn't devotion.

*Sighs.* Fine. I just thought that devotion to goblins would be cool. :smalltongue:

Beacon of Chaos
2014-04-16, 12:00 PM
So... Earthquake (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=247315) for 2 and I draw a card for each non-flying creature, plus another for each player? While still pinging the board? Or god forbid, Earthquake for 4. That's five mana - without necessarily any blue in there, mind - to draw a bare minimum of six cards, if there's no other creatures on the field.
Yeah, I didn't really think it through, I just had an idea and wanted to put it down before I forgot. I'll change it later.

Blue Ghost
2014-04-16, 11:10 PM
Goblin Journal - 3
Artifact
{3}, {T}: Target player reveals cards from the top of his or her library until a land card is revealed. That player puts the revealed land card into his or her hand, then puts all other cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard.
Every goblin knows that the forbidden art of writing steals words from your head.

Binks
2014-04-17, 05:55 PM
Flibflub, Goblin Survivor - 2RR
Legendary Creature - Goblin
Shroud
Spells and abilities your opponents control can't cause you to sacrifice ~.
~ may not be sacrificed to cast spells or activate abilities.
Sacrifice another creature: Regenerate ~
"Goblins don't have scholars, but he's a genius when it comes to surviving out here." - Hazkal Flin, Expedition Leader
2/3

Saposhiente
2014-04-17, 06:50 PM
Really? It strikes me as a Johnny, because if you win with it it will be in an elegantly stupid and truly goblin-ish fashion. But yeah, it's only useful if you're running pure Goblin. Or you could put it on your opponent...

Pure goblin is bad, that's a timmy thing to do. Putting it on your opponent though, oh dear, that's too good. Curse of Death's Hold in red for 1 mana less and a usually-irrelevant downside.

Ionbound
2014-04-17, 06:54 PM
Pure goblin is bad, that's a timmy thing to do. Putting it on your opponent though, oh dear, that's too good. Curse of Death's Hold in red for 1 mana less and a usually-irrelevant downside.

Making a pure or near-pure goblin that works, though, is Johnny through and through. Indeed, on a meta-level, you have to be a smart goblin to make it work. But yeah, I may have made it too powerful. I'll change it to Enchant Self or whatever the terminology is.

Eternis
2014-04-17, 07:17 PM
Goblin Engineering 2RR

Enchantment-U

Enchant Player

All Goblins you control get +1/+1

All other creatures you control get -1/-1

There is one MAJOR problem with it though.
"You" is not the designator of the enchanted player. When an effect affects the player that is enchanted, it is referred to as "enchanted player". As it is now, you have an arbitrary and useless "enchant player" function on a card that only affects its controller's creatures. :smallsmile:

Misothene
2014-04-19, 11:43 PM
Intelligence Goblin R
Creature- Goblin Scout R
Each player plays with his or her hand revealed.
Intelligence Goblin can't attack as long as an opponent has a nonland card in his or her hand.
Figuring out what to do with good intel is hard- so he doesn't.
2/1

TiaC
2014-04-20, 02:39 AM
Goblin Tactician 1RR
Creature- Goblin Soldier R
All other Goblins attack each turn if able.
All other Goblins gain +1/+0 and haste.
Sacrifice a Goblin: regenerate Goblin Tactician
"Now Grag go there and Mag go... Ah, fuggedaboutit, just charge!"
2/2

Art shows a better dressed than usual goblin looking frustrated as he pushes another goblin into the path of a charging human.

Not sure on the P/T.

Fortuna
2014-04-20, 02:42 AM
Goblin Tactician 3R
All Goblins attack each turn if able.
All Goblins gain +1/+0 and haste.
If Goblin Tactician would die, you may sacrifice a Goblin instead.
2/2

Art shows a better dressed than usual goblin looking frustrated as he pushes another goblin into the path of a charging human.

Not sure on the P/T.

Nitpick - lords almost always figure their bonuses in already. This would usually be a 3/2 with "Other goblins have +1/+0 and haste".

TiaC
2014-04-20, 03:24 AM
Nitpick - lords almost always figure their bonuses in already. This would usually be a 3/2 with "Other goblins have +1/+0 and haste".

I think I'll make him immune actually.

Saposhiente
2014-04-20, 08:00 PM
There is one MAJOR problem with it though.
"You" is not the designator of the enchanted player. When an effect affects the player that is enchanted, it is referred to as "enchanted player". As it is now, you have an arbitrary and useless "enchant player" function on a card that only affects its controller's creatures. :smallsmile:

Proper wording is to make it not an Enchantment- Aura (i.e. it's not enchanting anything in particular), remove the "Enchant Player", then just have it affect "creatures you control".

Eternis
2014-04-21, 01:04 AM
Yes, but it was mentioned earlier that there was the intention for the enchantment to affect either the opponent or yourself.

Ninjaman
2014-04-21, 05:13 AM
Goblin Tactician - 2RR
Creature - Goblin Advisor - R
Other Goblin creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever another Goblin you control attacks, target creature can't block this turn.
“We outnumber them, if we just kill one each we win!”
-Commander Gnikrik, on the goblin dragon war
2/2

Blue Ghost
2014-04-21, 05:26 PM
Goblin Tactician 1RR
If Goblin Tactician would die, you may sacrifice a Goblin instead.
2/2

What happens if he's taken lethal damage? If his toughness is zero? Does he just die again?

TiaC
2014-04-21, 07:56 PM
What happens if he's taken lethal damage? If his toughness is zero? Does he just die again?

I'll just make it a regeneration effect instead. What do you think about the cost?

Blue Ghost
2014-04-21, 08:35 PM
I'll just make it a regeneration effect instead. What do you think about the cost?

Looks good. Not as strong as some of the other goblin lords, but regeneration makes up for it. But regeneration isn't in red's modern color pie. It's a black/green thing.

HypoSoc
2014-04-23, 08:46 AM
Judging later today.

TiaC
2014-04-23, 06:46 PM
Looks good. Not as strong as some of the other goblin lords, but regeneration makes up for it. But regeneration isn't in red's modern color pie. It's a black/green thing.

I think I can justify it on flavor reasons and the in-color cost. He is smart enough to use other goblins as shield and the art would show that.

HypoSoc
2014-04-23, 08:14 PM
Crimson Mantle of The Dark One 1R(w/b)
Legendary Artifact Enchantment - R
Goblins you control get +1/+1.
3R, T, sacrifice a gate: Exile target god or land.

This seems to be a reference to something, but I am not getting it. It is a goblin anthem that is not mono-red (what are white goblins), and has a repeatable, highly limited, repeatable removal with an overly restrictive cost (gates are a ravnica staple, this isn't Ravnica)

Goblin Prohpet R
Creature - Goblin R
Whenever you would draw a card instead target opponent looks at the top 5 cards of your library, and places 2 of them into your hand and the rest on the top of your library in any order.
"He is invaluable - every piece of information he tells us is the completely wrong. . . so if we assume the opposite, we usually win." - Mila Army General
1/1
Your flavor joke is good in concept, bad in execution. I honestly cannot tell if this ability is horrible or great, but that makes it such a goblin mechanic.

Legendary Enchantment Creature - Goblin God MR
So long as as the total converted mana cost of goblins you control is less than 10, Gork isn't a creature.
Or possibly Mork.
4/4
So, you want to turn Krenko into a draw engine? That ability is outrageous by itself, so much so that you can ignore the 4/4 for 4.

Goblin Brain Surgeon R
Creature - Goblin Shaman (U)
{R}, {T} Target creature becomes a Goblin in addition to other creature types
It was less "fine cutting" and more "removal" but hey, it worked! Jace is now likeable a goblin!
1/1
Absolutely hilarious, but not that relevant, as decks that take advantage of goblin tribalism just use goblins, and there is little point in making opponent's creatures into goblins.

Goblin Torture-Master 3B
Creature - Goblin Rogue U
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on each tapped non-Goblin creature.
1/1
Most goblins take delight in poking at the vulnerable - but it takes an intelligent goblin to be truly cruel.
That is a scary ability in the limited environment. It seems well designed but not game breaking. It probably should have been a little stronger and/or cheaper and made a rare.

Goblin Engineering 2RRR

Enchantment-R

Enchant Player

All Goblins the enchanted player controls get +1/+1

All other creatures the enchanted player control get -1/-1

Needs to be an aura. Basically an over-costed goblin anthem, or a heavy red curse of death's hold. I am not really feeling it

Goblin Historian 1R
Creature - Goblin Scholar U
Exile a goblin in a graveyard: ~ is indestructable until end of turn.
Groznak's mistake was that he dropped his sword. Skelt remedied this by not bringing one.
1/1
I love the concept and how you melded flavor with mechanics. Unfortunately, it is just too weak. Why do you care if your 1/1 is indestructible, and do you really have enough goblins to keep it up?

Goblin Ingenuity 1RR

Tribal Enchantment - Goblin R
Sacrifice an untapped Goblin you control: Gain control of target artifact until end of turn. Untap it. If it's a creature, it gains haste until end of turn.
At the beginning of each end step, sacrifice all artifacts you control and deal X damage to each creature and player, where X is the number of artifacts sacrificed this way.
[I]WHEEEE- KABOOM
This is the very definition of Goblin Machine craft. Might be a tad overpowered, or underpowered, as it relies on opponents having artifacts or you having recurring ones. Squee + Sword of the Meek?

Goblin Looter 2R
Creature - Goblin Warrior U
Haste
When Goblin Looter enters the battlefield, gain control of target non-creature artifact. Untap that artifact. Sacrifice it at the beginning of your next end step.
Pillage, then burn.
2/2
2/2 haster for 3 is respectable. That it doubles as a better-than-norm artifact removal makes it deck able..

U,T: The next time a spell you control would deal damage to a single target, it deals half that damage, rounded down, and you draw cards equal to the damage dealt.

1/1
Shivan meteor, anyone? Turn burn spells into card advantage for 1 mana.

Ilk, the Prepared 2RUW
Tap another two untapped goblin creatures you control: Choose one or more of the following -
Untap ~, target unblocked attacking creature becomes blocked, and/or remove target goblin you control from combat.
3, Tap four untapped goblins you control:
~ deals five damage, divided as you choose, among up to five target attacking creatures.
3, Sacrifice a goblin:
You may search your library for a Trap instant card and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
The other goblins are frightened of him. He actually KNOWS something.
1/4
Overly convoluted, overly dependent. Bad colors for goblins.

Goblin Journal - 3
Artifact
{3}, {T}: Target player reveals cards from the top of his or her library until a land card is revealed. That player puts the revealed land card into his or her hand, then puts all other cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard.
Every goblin knows that the forbidden art of writing steals words from your head.
This would really be useful in dredge decks, but I am not feeling the goblin.

Flibflub, Goblin Survivor - 2RR
Legendary Creature - Goblin
Shroud
Spells and abilities your opponents control can't cause you to sacrifice ~.
~ may not be sacrificed to cast spells or activate abilities.
Sacrifice another creature: Regenerate ~
"Goblins don't have scholars, but he's a genius when it comes to surviving out here." - Hazkal Flin, Expedition Leader
2/3
Ultimately, a pretty boring wall.

Intelligence Goblin R
Creature- Goblin Scout R
Each player plays with his or her hand revealed.
Intelligence Goblin can't attack as long as an opponent has a nonland card in his or her hand.
Figuring out what to do with good intel is hard- so he doesn't.
2/1
Funny, mechanically apt, and well costed.

Goblin Tactician 1RR
Sacrifice a Goblin: regenerate Goblin Tactician
2/2
Eh, nor that great compared to other lords.

Goblin Tactician - 2RR
Creature - Goblin Advisor - R
Other Goblin creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever another Goblin you control attacks, target creature can't block this turn.
“We outnumber them, if we just kill one each we win!”
-Commander Gnikrik, on the goblin dragon war
2/2
Vary, very, scary in goblin decks, and the flavor is hilarious.

mystic1110, LaZodiac, Random_person, DMofDarkness, Agent Paper, Misothene, Ninjaman
Ninjaman for being funny while tying the joke into the entirely goblin mechanics.

Mystic Muse
2014-04-23, 08:31 PM
This seems to be a reference to something, but I am not getting it. It is a goblin anthem that is not mono-red (what are white goblins), and has a repeatable, highly limited, repeatable removal with an overly restrictive cost (gates are a ravnica staple, this isn't Ravnica)

It's a reference to the Order of the stick. It's the cape "Redcloak" wears, and 'gates' factor into the story heavily.

Shivan meteor, anyone? Turn burn spells into card advantage for 1 mana.

Which would at least make Shivan meteor useful in something for once. :smalltongue:

Fortuna
2014-04-23, 08:48 PM
Ah well. I figured I didn't have the humour to win that one - congratulations to Ninjaman, who surely deserved the win.

LaZodiac
2014-04-23, 10:43 PM
Nice win Ninjaman! Though I appear to have completely missed the joke :smallredface:

Ninjaman
2014-04-24, 02:17 PM
For the next challenge:
Make a card that contains exactly 3 of the following 5 words: Creature, Artifact, Opponent, Dies, Manapool

Note: you can only use three of the words but the three you choose you can use any number of times.

Binks
2014-04-24, 02:37 PM
Lively Celebration - BBRR
Enchantment - Rare
Whenever a creature dies add {B} or {R} to your manapool.
"A Rakdos party hasn't really started until the first casualty..."

Ionbound
2014-04-24, 02:43 PM
Retribution of the Dead-2WR

Enchantment-Rare

Whenever a Creature you control dies, deal 1 damage to each opponent.

Our enemies raise our dead against us. But their spirits fight alongside US!

The idea is to play this with tokens or goblins, and then nuke the field for massive damage. Sounds fun, no?

mystic1110
2014-04-24, 03:02 PM
Laws of Xenia 1G
Enchantment R
Whenever a player casts a creature spell each of that player's opponents may add mana equal to that creature's mana cost to their mana pool. Mana added to a player's mana pool this way doesn't empty from the mana pool as steps and phases end.

HypoSoc
2014-04-24, 03:29 PM
Improbable Combustion 1R
Instant - Rare
Destroy target enchantment an opponent controls. If it is not a creature, its owner adds one mana of any color to their mana pool at the beginning of their next main phase.
Noun: a lexical category referring to that which a goblin can set on fire.

Enchantment removal in red? Screw the color pie.
Alternate flavor texts:
They said it couldn't be done, but Grok found a way.
How in the blazes does Omniscience catch fire?
Logic said concepts can't catch fire, so Grok made sure to burn Logic first.

LaZodiac
2014-04-24, 03:46 PM
Anti Life Engine - 4{BP}
Artifact (U)
Whenever a creature with {P} in it's mana cost dies, target opponent loses life equal to it's converted mana cost.
What others would call a malfunction, New Phyrexia calls perfection.

Binks I'd just like to know you came up with the EXACT idea I was going to have. Ah well, I liked coming up with this :smallbiggrin:

Fable Wright
2014-04-24, 04:13 PM
Oak, the Eternal WGB
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
Indestructible
As long as you control the non-enchantment creature with the highest converted mana cost, Oak isn't a creature.
When a creature an opponent controls dies, you may pay {1}. If you do, exile that card and put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
2/7

Mystic Muse
2014-04-24, 05:51 PM
Desolation 3WWBB
Legendary creature-Angel MR

Flying

Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, exile it instead.

Whenever a creature an opponent controls is exiled, that player loses 1 life for each creature they own that has been exiled.

If ~ would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal ~ and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

7/7

This time, you won't come back.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-24, 07:10 PM
Opponent of Progress WRG
Creature - Centaur Warrior R
Artifact spells can't be cast.
You cannot begrudge a person for living in the modern world, but you can try to keep it from getting worse.
4/4

Eternis
2014-04-24, 11:06 PM
Necromantic Ritual - BBBBB
Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control dies, put a charge counter on ~.
Remove a charge counter from ~: Add B to your manapool.
Remove 6 charge counters from ~, Choose one: Put a 5/5 Black Demon creature token with flying into play under your control, or search your library for a black creature card, and put it into play under your control.
Remove 10 charge counters from ~ and sacrifice it: Return all creature cards from all graveyards to play under their owner's control.

Blue Ghost
2014-04-25, 02:18 AM
Dream Capsule - {2}
Artifact (U)
Whenever a creature leaves the battlefield, put a charge counter on Dream Capsule.
Sacrifice Dream Capsule: Add {X} to your mana pool, where X is the number of charge counters on Dream Capsule.

Jormengand
2014-04-25, 10:43 AM
Is this cheating?

Icon of the Worthy Opponent 5
Artifact R
Players can't lose the game.
He was such a terrible creature, and yet the only worthy foe The Hunter had ever had.

TiaC
2014-04-25, 07:45 PM
Destruction Pact 1RRBB
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature you control dies, each other player sacrifices an artifact.
Whenever an artifact you control dies, each other player sacrifices a creature.
"I'm sure you understand that we expect return on our investments, it's nothing personal."

Saposhiente
2014-04-26, 12:05 AM
Is this cheating?

Artifact R
He was such a terrible creature, and yet the only worthy foe The Hunter had ever had.

This might not work without a "players can't win the game" clause.

Ninjaman
2014-04-26, 01:10 AM
Is this cheating?

Artifact R

I am fine with names and typeline but flavortext doesn't count.

Jormengand
2014-04-26, 06:07 AM
I am fine with names and typeline but flavortext doesn't count.

Aww. All right, I'll think of something...

This might not work without a "players can't win the game" clause.

That's also probably true, yeah...

A Worthy Opponent 5
Artifact Creature - Golem
A Worthy Opponent is indestructible.
Players can't win or lose the game.
The foe that never dies, the battle that never ends.
5/5

Beacon of Chaos
2014-04-27, 08:10 AM
Radiating Groodion 2GG

Creature - Beast U

Trample

At the beginning of each opponent's precombat main phase, that opponent may add G to his or her mana pool.

It's easy for mages to hunt; they can use the mana from its own aura against it.

5/4

Beacon of Chaos
2014-05-02, 05:51 AM
I think we've now past a week since the challenge was set.

Ninjaman
2014-05-02, 06:43 AM
I think we've now past a week since the challenge was set.

Sorry, i will have it up later today.

Ninjaman
2014-05-02, 08:39 AM
Lively Celebration - BBRR
Enchantment - Rare
Whenever a creature dies add {B} or {R} to your manapool.
"A Rakdos party hasn't really started until the first casualty..."

Love the flavor text, but the effect is the kind that is probably either not going to do anything or be part of some insane combo.

Retribution of the Dead-2WR

Enchantment-Rare

Whenever a Creature you control dies, deal 1 damage to each opponent.

Our enemies raise our dead against us. But their spirits fight alongside US!

The idea is to play this with tokens or goblins, and then nuke the field for massive damage. Sounds fun, no?

Compare this to blood artist, it is far too expensive.

Laws of Xenia 1G
Enchantment R
Whenever a player casts a creature spell each of that player's opponents may add mana equal to that creature's mana cost to their mana pool. Mana added to a player's mana pool this way doesn't empty from the mana pool as steps and phases end.

It is interesting, but triggering only on creature spells would probably make is too good in creatureless decks where it would just be an amazing ramp spell.

Improbable Combustion 1R
Instant - Rare
Destroy target enchantment an opponent controls. If it is not a creature, its owner adds one mana of any color to their mana pool at the beginning of their next main phase.
Noun: a lexical category referring to that which a goblin can set on fire.

Enchantment removal in red? Screw the color pie.
Alternate flavor texts:
They said it couldn't be done, but Grok found a way.
How in the blazes does Omniscience catch fire?
Logic said concepts can't catch fire, so Grok made sure to burn Logic first.

Love the flavortexts, that said it is heavy colorbleed without a very good reason to be.

Anti Life Engine - 4{BP}
Artifact (U)
Whenever a creature with {P} in it's mana cost dies, target opponent loses life equal to it's converted mana cost.
What others would call a malfunction, New Phyrexia calls perfection.

Binks I'd just like to know you came up with the EXACT idea I was going to have. Ah well, I liked coming up with this :smallbiggrin:

Rage Extractor? (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=214385)

Oak, the Eternal WGB
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
Indestructible
As long as you control the non-enchantment creature with the highest converted mana cost, Oak isn't a creature.
When a creature an opponent controls dies, you may pay {1}. If you do, exile that card and put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
2/7

Interesting take on a god. Simple but efficient. My biggest critique is that junk are midrange a lot of the time, at which point it can be hard for him to be a creature, could work in a more aggresive junk build but there the p/t is a bit awkward.

Desolation 3WWBB
Legendary creature-Angel MR

Flying

Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, exile it instead.

Whenever a creature an opponent controls is exiled, that player loses 1 life for each creature they own that has been exiled.

If ~ would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal ~ and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

7/7

This time, you won't come back.

Big flashy angels aren't excactly new, but i like what you did with it. I love how it both feels very black and very white.

Opponent of Progress WRG
Creature - Centaur Warrior R
Artifact spells can't be cast.
You cannot begrudge a person for living in the modern world, but you can try to keep it from getting worse.
4/4

Simple, effecte. Lovely smooth design.

Necromantic Ritual - BBBBB
Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control dies, put a charge counter on ~.
Remove a charge counter from ~: Add B to your manapool.
Remove 6 charge counters from ~, Choose one: Put a 5/5 Black Demon creature token with flying into play under your control, or search your library for a black creature card, and put it into play under your control.
Remove 10 charge counters from ~ and sacrifice it: Return all creature cards from all graveyards to play under their owner's control.

I feel like you are trying to much. I would cut it down to 2 options, remove ""you control and make it 2BB.

Dream Capsule - {2}
Artifact (U)
Whenever a creature leaves the battlefield, put a charge counter on Dream Capsule.
Sacrifice Dream Capsule: Add {X} to your mana pool, where X is the number of charge counters on Dream Capsule.

Interesting use of leaves the battlefield instead of dies. Smooth card, but would probably be used mostly for combos.

Destruction Pact 1RRBB
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature you control dies, each other player sacrifices an artifact.
Whenever an artifact you control dies, each other player sacrifices a creature.
"I'm sure you understand that we expect return on our investments, it's nothing personal."

I would make it less color intensive, but i like it. Very well designed build around card.

It was a close run but the winner is:
Mystic Muse with Desolation

LaZodiac
2014-05-02, 08:42 AM
Rage Extractor? (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=214385)

...yes, it's a broken Rage Extractor, that's the entire point. It's even in the flavor text :smallbiggrin:

Beacon of Chaos
2014-05-02, 09:09 AM
You missed mine. :smallfrown:

Ninjaman
2014-05-02, 10:41 AM
...yes, it's a broken Rage Extractor, that's the entire point. It's even in the flavor text :smallbiggrin:

It's just that it kind off fills a niche that is already taken by something else, and Rage Extractor is better at it TBH.

Oh sorry, thought i had marked it but appereantly i hadn't. You wouldn't have won but here it is:

Radiating Groodion 2GG

Creature - Beast U

Trample

At the beginning of each opponent's precombat main phase, that opponent may add G to his or her mana pool.

It's easy for mages to hunt; they can use the mana from its own aura against it.

5/4

I said you didn't win but you where among the top. I love the simplistic design and i love over the curve creatures. Really cool well made card that i could deffinately see printed.

Jormengand
2014-05-02, 12:28 PM

You're not the only one. :smalltongue:

Beacon of Chaos
2014-05-02, 02:02 PM
I said you didn't win but you where among the top. I love the simplistic design and i love over the curve creatures. Really cool well made card that i could deffinately see printed.
I'm glad you liked it. :smallsmile:

Grats to Mystic Muse!

Ninjaman
2014-05-02, 05:52 PM
You're not the only one. :smalltongue:

Aww, sorry, i guess it was because you made one and then this instead but the old one was still there and that got me confused. It is propably better to edit the original post or at least spoiler it. Anyway i will say a few words.

Aww. All right, I'll think of something...

That's also probably true, yeah...

A Worthy Opponent 5
Artifact Creature - Golem
A Worthy Opponent is indestructible.
Players can't win or lose the game.
The foe that never dies, the battle that never ends.
5/5

Indestructible should never be on something that states opponents can't win. Sure it affects you too but you can sacrifice it, shouldn't be too hard to get rid off. However many opponents won't have the tools to deal with it, and then it just reads "When A Worthy Opponent enters the battlefield, you win the game" for 5 mana.

Saposhiente
2014-05-02, 06:18 PM
it just reads "when a worthy opponent enters the battlefield, you win the game eventually, after much boringness"

FTFY lowercase

Mystic Muse
2014-05-02, 07:29 PM
Well, I wasn't expecting to win.:smalleek:

Let's go with something I don't think has been done before.

Make a new Liege.

Here are the original ten (http://magiccards.info/query?q=liege+o%3Acreatures+o%3Ayou+o%3Acontrol+o% 3Aget+o%3A%2B1%2F%2B1&v=card&s=cname)

They don't have to be EXACTLY like those lieges, but something that gives a +1/+1 bonus to two different things (Bonus should apply to OTHER creatures you control, those two different things don't have to be colors), and an extra ability on top of that is what I'm looking for. Preferably, whatever different things it gives the bonus to would apply to whatever it is, so that if you have multiple lieges out, the bonus applies to themselves. Though, that isn't necessarily a dealbreaker

That should give you enough leeway to make this contest not too narrow.

LaZodiac
2014-05-02, 07:44 PM
Akroan Commander 1{R/W}{R/W}{R/W}
Creature - Human Soldier
Other Soldiers you control get +1/+1
Other Red or White creatures you control get +1/+1
Heroic - Whenever you cast a spell on the battlefield that targets ~, creatures you control gain haste or first strike until end of turn
2/3
"Never stop charging!"

HypoSoc
2014-05-02, 07:48 PM
Haruspex Liege 1(U/B)(U/B)(U/B)
Creature - Zombie Wizard - R
Other Wizards you control get +1/+1.
Other Zombies you control get +1/+1.
At the end of each of your combat steps, Scry X, where X is the number of Zombies and Wizards that attacked this turn.
It examines its victim's entrails for the best omens, and best morsels.
2/4

Ionbound
2014-05-02, 07:58 PM
Revenant Liege - 2(W/B)(W/B)(W/B)

Zombie Knight-R

Other White Creatures you control gain +1/+1
Other Zombies you control gain +1/+1
Lifelink
Vigilance

When a noble man dies an ignoble death, his body may rise, possessed by unholy vengeace...At least they're still on our side.

3/5

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-02, 08:13 PM
Imagineer 1WU
Creature - Rat Wizard Artificer R
Artifact creatures you control get +1/+1.
Enchantment creatures you control get +1/+1.
Creatures you control that are enchanted get +1/+1.
Creatures you control that are equipped get +1/+1.
2/3

Songstress of Paradise GG
Creature - Elf Shaman R
Forestwalk
Other creatures you control with landwalk abilities get +1/+1.
Other creatures you control with mana abilities get +1/+1.
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
1/1

Liege of the Roads 1WG
Creature - Dryad Adviser R
Forestwalk, Plainswalk
Other green creatures you control get +1/+1 and have forestwalk.
Other white creatures you control get +1/+1 and have plainswalk.
2/2

Liege of the Lilies 1UG
Creature - Merfolk Druid R
Forestwalk, Islandwalk
Other blue creatures you control get +1/+1 and have islandwalk.
2/2

Liege of the Maps GG
Creature - Dryad R
Forestwalk
Other creatures you control get +1/+1 for each of their landwalk abilities.
2/2

Sayuri, Liege of Paradise 3GG
Legendary Creature - Snake Shaman R
Forestwalk
Other creatures you control with landwalk abilities get +1/+1.
Other creatures you control with mana abilities get +1/+1.
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
5/5

Liege of the Trees 1GG
Creature - Dryad R
Forestwalk
Other Dryad or Treefolk creatures you control get +1/+1.
Other creatures you control with forestwalk get +1/+1.
"This's 'zactly wha I' been tryin' ta warn ye aboot!"
- Durkon Thundershield, Priest of Thor
2/2

Lord Ruby34
2014-05-02, 10:47 PM
Frostwind Leige 1(W/U)(W/U)(W/U)
Snow Creature- Elemental R

Other Snow creatures you control get +1/+1.

Other Elementals you control get +1/+1.

Whenever Frostwind Leige or another nontoken Elemental enters the battlefield under your control put a 0/0 blue and white Elemental snow creature token onto the battlefield.

(W/U)(W/U) Sacrifice a Snow Permanent: Tap target permanent. That permanent doesn't untap during its controllers next untap step.

The winds of winter are his weapons, the glacial snows his subjects

1/4

I think the lines of text look better spaced out like that.

Hawkflight
2014-05-02, 11:27 PM
Genome Liege - 2(R/G)(R/G)(R/G)
Spirit, Rare

Other red creatures you control get +1/+1.

Other green creatures you control get +1/+1.

Whenever you cast a red spell, target creature gains +1/+0 until end of turn.

Whenever you cast a green spell, target creature gains +0/+1 until end of turn.

3/4

Blue Ghost
2014-05-02, 11:53 PM
Perelandra Liege 1GGG
Creature - Elemental (R)
Token creatures you control get +1/+1.
Landfall -- When a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a 1/1 green Elemental creature token on the battlefield.
2/4

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/PerelandraLiege_zps7150f75c.jpg?t=1399092724

Beacon of Chaos
2014-05-03, 08:39 AM
Liege of Legends 1(W/R)(W/R)(W/R)

Creature - Human Knight R

Other white creatures you control get +1/+1.

At the beginning of each combat phase, all non-creature, non-equipment permanents lose all abilities until the end of the combat phase.

4/4

Realised that exiling everything was just asking for trouble. This should be better and also shortens the ability line.

mystic1110
2014-05-04, 08:47 AM
Lich Liege 1(2/B)(2/B)(2/B)
Artifact Creature - Zombie R
((2/B) can be paid with any two mana or with (B). This card's converted mana cost is 7.)
Other Black Creatures you control get +1/+1
Other Artifact Creatures you control get +1/+1
As long as you control another black or artifact creature Lich Liege is Indestructible
4/4

Cloud Rat
2014-05-04, 10:36 AM
Liege Of The Meek
1(R/W)(R/W)
Creature- Kobold R

Other 1/1 creatures you control get +1/+1, haste, and vigilance. (This includes 1/1 tokens.)

Whenever a 1/1 creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may search your library for a creature card and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

Divided they fall. United they fall.

Misothene
2014-05-05, 02:33 AM
Spoilered due to announced ineligibility. Real entry in a later post.
Tyrannical Liege 1WWBB
Creature- Human Advisor R
Extort
Nonblack creatures get -1/-1.
Nonwhite creatures get -1/-1.
4/4

Tom the Mime
2014-05-05, 02:40 AM
Aetherborn Liege - 1UUU
Creature - Wizard Illusion R
Other Wizards you control get +1/+1
Other Illusions you control get +1/+1
Whenever a creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, you may return target permanent to its owners hand.
2/3

Given a lot of newer illusions die if targeted, it adds another cost to targeting them. For everything else, you can bounce the creature to save them or bounce something of theirs. Chose that it had to be an opponent targeting them otherwise it's probably be too abusable. If the ability makes it too hard to get rid of, it could always be changed to "Whenever a creature you control other than ~".

Tossed up between this mana cost and 2UU given that there are lots on non-blue wizards even if they are more common in blue.

Eternis
2014-05-06, 05:04 AM
I'm afraid that the card doesn't work the way you think it will:
If the illusion (that would die) is targeted by your own ability, it would still sacrifice itself. The ability just acts as a disincentive to target your creatures. Which, admittedly, is pretty handy in multiplayer.
Anyway:

Mageborn Leige 2(U/R)(U/R)(U/R)
Creature - Elemental
Other Red creatures you control get +1/+1
Other Blue creatures you control get +1/+1
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost 3 or greater, put a 1/0 red and blue elemental creature token with haste and trample into play under your control, and Mageborn Leige gains defender until end of turn.
2/4

Mystic Muse
2014-05-07, 01:14 AM
Liege of the Roads GG
Creature - Dryad R
Forestwalk
Other creatures you control get +1/+1 for each of their landwalk abilities.
2/2

Kingdom Dryad 1WG
Creature - Dryad R
Forestwalk, Plainswalk
Other white creatures you control get +1/+1 and have plainswalk.
2/2

Imagineer 1WU
2/3

This card doesn't actually fit the parameters of the contest.

Liege Of The Meek
1(R/W)(R/W)
Creature- Kobold R

Other 1/1 creatures you control get +1/+1, haste, and vigilance. (This includes 1/1 tokens.)

Whenever a 1/1 creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may search your library for a creature card and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

I'm sorry to say that this card doesn't actually function. The creatures get the bonus, but then they stop being 1/1s, so they no longer get the bonus, which turns them back into 1/1s, and creates a never-ending loop. The cards are also supposed to give bonuses to two separate things, so this doesn't fit the contest parameters. Sorry. :smallfrown:

Tyrannical Liege 1WWBB
Creature- Human Advisor R
Extort
Nonblack creatures get -1/-1.
Nonwhite creatures get -1/-1.
4/4

This card doesn't fit the parameters of the contest.

Whenever Frostwind Leige or another nontoken Elemental enters the battlefield under your control put a 0/0 blue and white Elemental snow creature token onto the battlefield.

Sacrifice a Snow Permanent: Tap target permanent. That permanent doesn't untap during its controllers next untap step.

1/4

I hate to say it, but that final ability makes this card kinda broken. He's easy enough to toss in a deck that can have a ton of snow permanents, and just tap your opponent out of the game, and turn lands into a resource later on.

Whenever a Wizard or Zombie you control becomes tapped for the first time each turn, you may draw a card.
2/4

This ability is kind of broken. In a tribal zombies deck (A deck he fits into perfectly), you're going to be attacking with a lot of zombies anyway, and drawing a card for each one that attacks.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-07, 01:35 AM
*sigh* fiiine. :smalltongue: I changed mine back.

I'd argue in favor of Misothene's, though. It basically says,

Other white creatures get +1/+1
Other black creatures get +1/+1
All other creatures get -2/-2

...which would qualify but is really confusing when you write it that way.

Of course, mine used similar logic, but had far too many things to give bonuses to.

Mystic Muse
2014-05-07, 01:41 AM
*sigh* fiiine. :smalltongue: I changed mine back.

Hey, I'm just trying to make it so you don't automatically get disqualified. :smalltongue:

Fable Wright
2014-05-07, 01:45 AM
Dungeon Liege 1RGB
Creature - Echidna R
Each other creature you control that doesn't share a creature type with another creature you control gets +1/+1.
Each token creature you control gets +1/+1
Whenever a player casts a multicolored spell, choose a color and creature subtype, then put a 1/1 token creature of the chosen color and type onto the battlefield.
2/2
"Why is an Owlbear living in the bottom of a dungeon with an aggressively sentient fungus and nothing to eat?"
-Horvo, Adventurer.

Misothene
2014-05-07, 02:48 AM
Spectral Liege 2BB
Creature- Spirit R
Haunted creatures you control get +1/+1.
Encoded creatures you control get +1/+1.
Spells you cast with haunt or cipher cost 1 less.
Those that have ever heard voices have heard its call.
4/4

HypoSoc
2014-05-07, 03:33 PM
Altered Mine.

Cloud Rat
2014-05-08, 09:31 AM
I'm confused about what you said about my liege- they get a buff, but aren't they still a 1/1 creature with a +1/+1 static ability on them>

Mystic Muse
2014-05-08, 01:53 PM
I'm confused about what you said about my liege- they get a buff, but aren't they still a 1/1 creature with a +1/+1 static ability on them>

Nope. They're now a 2/2 creature. Then they stop qualifying for the bonus, become a 1/1 again, start qualifying, become a 2/2 again, stop qualifying, etc.

EDIT: Maybe this isn't exactly how it happens, but it does essentially cause a glitch in the system.

Jormengand
2014-05-08, 01:59 PM
Nope. They're now a 2/2 creature. Then they stop qualifying for the bonus, become a 1/1 again, start qualifying, become a 2/2 again, stop qualifying, etc.

This could, however, be mitigated with something like "Creatures whose original power and original toughness are both 1 get +1/+1", but that would be a bit long-winded.

HypoSoc
2014-05-08, 02:08 PM
Edit: NINJA'D
You can resolve this by making it an activated ability rather than a static ability.
0: Target 1/1 creature you control gets +1/+1, haste and vigilance until end of turn.

As an instant speed, no cost activated ability, the only drawbacks are it does not help against state based toughness reduction, (Elesh Norn will kill before you can target),cannot hit shroud dudes, and things that increase that cost of activated abilities. Also, this lord would not stack with multiple copies.

Another option would be "creatures with cmc of 2 or less" to avoid all the hassle for a similar effect, though that would make it a lord of Marit Lage, Mutavault, and facedown morph cards.

Also, you need a P/T.

onasuma
2014-05-09, 02:16 AM
Liege of Leaves 2GG

Creature - Treefolk R

Other plants you control get +1/+1.

Other Forests you control get +1/+1 as long as they are a creature.

Whenever a non-token forest enters play under your control you may pay 1G. If you do put a 1/1 plant forest land creature token into play with "Tap: add G to your mana pool"

1/4

@TPBM: Good catch!

Fable Wright
2014-05-09, 03:16 AM
Liege of Leaves 2GG

Creature - Treefolk R

Whenever a forest enters play under your control you may pay 1G. If you do put a 1/1 plant forest land creature token into play with "Tap: add G to your mana pool"

1/4

You may wish to make this only trigger on non-token forests.

HypoSoc
2014-05-09, 07:41 AM
As a land with the type forest, I believe you do not need to specify the "Tap: add G." See Dryad Arbor.
Also, are these colorless tokens?

TiaC
2014-05-09, 11:48 PM
Paragon Of Singularity -2UU
Legendary Creature - Elemental R
Other creatures you control that do not share a name with another creature on the battlefield get +1/+1
Other monocolored creatures you control get +1/+1
T: Put an identity counter on target creature.
Permanents with identity counters on them are legendary.
2/2

Mystic Muse
2014-05-10, 02:26 AM
Akroan Commander 1{R/W}{R/W}{R/W}
Creature - Human Soldier
Other Soldiers you control get +1/+1
Other Red or White creatures you control get +1/+1
Heroic - Whenever you cast a spell on the battlefield that targets ~, creatures you control gain haste or first strike until end of turn
2/3
"Never stop charging!"

A very well put together liege. Not too powerful, but powerful enough to be worth using and possibly building a deck around. I could easily see this being printed. My only criticisms are that it dies to lightning bolt (though, several other lieges do as well, so I'm not taking points away for it), and its final ability isn't that exciting.

At the end of each of your combat steps, Scry X, where X is the number of Zombies and Wizards that attacked this turn.
2/4

Much less broken. Works best in tribal zombies when you can afford to attack all out. I feel like its bonuses can be a bit narrow, but that should be too much of a problem.

Revenant Liege - 2(W/B)(W/B)(W/B)

Zombie Knight-R

Other White Creatures you control gain +1/+1
Other Zombies you control gain +1/+1
Lifelink
Vigilance

When a noble man dies an ignoble death, his body may rise, possessed by unholy vengeace...At least they're still on our side.

3/5

Very nice liege that I like a lot. Were this printed, I'd run it in Modern Knights without a second thought. His 5 mana cost is a little restrictive, but it's worth the body he provides.

Imagineer 1WU
2/3

This unfortunately loses points for being rather difficult to keep track of. It can easily get rather ridiculous, it doesn't actually provide a boost to copies of itself like it should, and I'm very confused about the creature type, honestly.

(W/U)(W/U) Sacrifice a Snow Permanent: Tap target permanent. That permanent doesn't untap during its controllers next untap step.

1/4

This is, unfortunately, probably too powerful. It would be fine with just the token generation, but the final ability, even with the mana cost, pushes it over the top.

Genome Liege - 2(R/G)(R/G)(R/G)
Spirit, Rare

Whenever you cast a red spell, target creature gains +1/+0 until end of turn.

Whenever you cast a green spell, target creature gains +0/+1 until end of turn.

3/4Very nice entry. Could afford to be a little more exciting, or possibly cost 1 less, but it's not in any way overpowered, looks exactly like I'd expect a liege to, and could easily see print.

Perelandra Liege 1GGG
Creature - Elemental (R)
Token creatures you control get +1/+1.
Landfall -- When a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a 1/1 green Elemental creature token on the battlefield.
2/4

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/PerelandraLiege_zps7150f75c.jpg?t=1399092724

A mono color liege is definitely interesting. I like its third ability too. The only thing I question is, whether it's just powerful enough to see print and not be overpowered, or would be overpowered in some sort of mono-green deck, especially in another landfall set.

Liege of Legends 1(W/R)(W/R)(W/R)

Creature - Human Knight R

Other white creatures you control get +1/+1.

At the beginning of each combat phase, all non-creature, non-equipment permanents lose all abilities until the end of the combat phase.

4/4

Realised that exiling everything was just asking for trouble. This should be better and also shortens the ability line.

This ability, while not as bad as it was before, is still very very good, if you can protect this guy. For that reason, I'm not sure whether he falls under just powerful enough, or just over the edge.

Lich Liege 1(2/B)(2/B)(2/B)
Artifact Creature - Zombie R
((2/B) can be paid with any two mana or with (B). This card's converted mana cost is 7.)
Other Black Creatures you control get +1/+1
Other Artifact Creatures you control get +1/+1
As long as you control another black or artifact creature Lich Liege is Indestructible
4/4

This, unfortunately, would likely end up being far too powerful. It's a bit hard, but there aremany many ways to get this guy indestructible for most of, if not the entire game. That, plus his rather good body, makes him a little too powerful.

Liege Of The Meek
1(R/W)(R/W)
Creature- Kobold R

Okay, let's ignore the fact that his ability doesn't function within the rules for the moment, and just go based off of what this card was intended to do.

Unfortunately, for its cost, what this card was intended to do is too powerful. It's a tutor for creatures essentially, and it's easy enough to build your deck around to abuse. So, sadly, this card is too powerful.

Aetherborn Liege - 1UUU
Creature - Wizard Illusion R
Other Wizards you control get +1/+1
Other Illusions you control get +1/+1
Whenever a creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, you may return target permanent to its owners hand.
2/3

Given a lot of newer illusions die if targeted, it adds another cost to targeting them. For everything else, you can bounce the creature to save them or bounce something of theirs. Chose that it had to be an opponent targeting them otherwise it's probably be too abusable. If the ability makes it too hard to get rid of, it could always be changed to "Whenever a creature you control other than ~".

Tossed up between this mana cost and 2UU given that there are lots on non-blue wizards even if they are more common in blue.
The problem with this card is, a free disperse when an opponent targets ANY creature you control will get very insane very quickly and there's very little your opponent can do once this hits the field, short of boardwipes. So, sadly, as neat as this card is, it's too powerful.

I'm afraid that the card doesn't work the way you think it will:
If the illusion (that would die) is targeted by your own ability, it would still sacrifice itself. The ability just acts as a disincentive to target your creatures. Which, admittedly, is pretty handy in multiplayer.
Anyway:

Mageborn Leige 2(U/R)(U/R)(U/R)
Creature - Elemental
Other Red creatures you control get +1/+1
Other Blue creatures you control get +1/+1
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost 3 or greater, put a 1/0 red and blue elemental creature token with haste and trample into play under your control, and Mageborn Leige gains defender until end of turn.
2/4

My primary problem with this guy is, I just don't get what sort of deck you're supposed to put him in, why he gains defender, why he only cares about instants or sorceries with CMC 3 or higher, ETC.

Dungeon Liege 1RGB
Creature - Echidna R
Each other creature you control that doesn't share a creature type with another creature you control gets +1/+1.
Each token creature you control gets +1/+1
Whenever a player casts a multicolored spell, choose a color and creature subtype, then put a 1/1 token creature of the chosen color and type onto the battlefield.
2/2
"Why is an Owlbear living in the bottom of a dungeon with an aggressively sentient fungus and nothing to eat?"
-Horvo, Adventurer.
Well, the first problem I see, is Echidna is not a currently existing creature type. The second is, this would be an absolute pain to keep track of, and make sure none of your creatures share types.

Spectral Liege 2BB
Creature- Spirit R
Haunted creatures you control get +1/+1.
Encoded creatures you control get +1/+1.
Spells you cast with haunt or cipher cost 1 less.
Those that have ever heard voices have heard its call.
4/4

I want SO MUCH to be able to make this card the winner. I like the effect very much, and it's a very unique liege. However, the problem is, there are just so few Haunt and Cipher cards that are actually worth using. The bonuses also don't apply if you have multiple of the liege out.

Liege of Leaves 2GG

Creature - Treefolk R

Whenever a non-token forest enters play under your control you may pay 1G. If you do put a 1/1 plant forest land creature token into play with "Tap: add G to your mana pool"

1/4

@TPBM: Good catch!

This is a very weird liege. Its ability doesn't apply to copies of itself, and it doesn't boost its own creature types. It seems like the point is largely ramp. Unfortunately, the bizarreness makes it rather hard to judge.

Paragon Of Singularity -2UU
Legendary Creature - Elemental R
Other creatures you control that do not share a name with another creature on the battlefield get +1/+1
Other monocolored creatures you control get +1/+1
T: Put an identity counter on target creature.
Permanents with identity counters on them are legendary.
2/2

Frankly, this is possibly the liege I can comprehend the least of the submitted cards, or at least close to it. I get the purpose, it's basically supposed to be leyline of singularity stapled on a creature. Its boosts are just odd though, and this isn't really what I was looking for in this contest.

And the winner is

Diego Havoc, for having a very interesting liege that, while it could be overpowered, is the kind of card that makes me outright excited to start building a deck, and it's not CLEARLY overpowered, especially since the ability isn't entirely one-sided.

LaZodiac
2014-05-10, 08:27 AM
Congrats to the winner! This was a close one, but a fun one :smallbiggrin:

Beacon of Chaos
2014-05-10, 08:43 AM
Thank you very much, Mystic Muse! I'm glad you liked it. I definitely wanted to make a card that said "It's time to fight". :smallbiggrin:

Next challenge:

Make a non-legendary card with the word "legendary" in its rules text.

Androgeus
2014-05-10, 08:47 AM
Feel I should point out that Stinkweed's card does work. When you apply continuous effects, you only check if they meet the condition as you apply it. It does get a bit counter intuitive with other anthem like effects and so would still be unlikely to see print.

LaZodiac
2014-05-10, 08:52 AM
The Cabal's Lucky Shot B
Instant (R)
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a Minion.
Destroy target legendary creature.
As the dust settled, it was seen there was a heavy toll. A nameless soldier's arrow found our hero's neck. The war was won, but we had lost all the same.

Jormengand
2014-05-10, 09:13 AM
Hall of Mirrors 6
Artifact R
Creatures aren't legendary. When a player puts a nontoken creature into play, all other players put a token into play which is a copy of that creature.
Rakdos had spent a long time searching for a worthy opponent, and here he found one.

HypoSoc
2014-05-10, 10:39 AM
Den of Coachria 5
Artifact - R
T: Add BB to your mana pool.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a legendary 3/3 black Zombie Wizard creature token with deathtouch and lifelink named "Coachria" into play.
Just as he is trapped in his dwelling, so too is he trapped within the mortal plane.

Cloud Rat
2014-05-10, 11:17 AM
I made a cycle!
Adventurer's Inn
(3)
Artifact R
T : Add G to your mana pool.
Green Legendary Creatures you control have Hexproof

-Church of Serra
(3)
Artifact R
T : Add W to your mana pool.
White Legendary Creatures you control have Vigilance.

-Mountain Hideout
(3)
Artifact R
T : Add R to your mana pool
Red Legendary Creatures you control have "T: This creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player."

-Tolarian Quay
(3)
Artifact R
T : Add U to your mana pool.
Blue Legendary Creatures you control have Flying

-Unholy Tower
(3)
Artifact R
T : Add B to your mana pool.
Black Legendary Creatures you control have "When this creature deals combat damage, put a 1/3 black Zombie token on the battlefield."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-10, 11:27 PM
I made a cycle!

You should probably pick just one of those cards so as not to give the judge a headache.

We do have another thread where you can make cycles all the time, though. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?284678-Magic-the-Gathering-You-make-the-Mini-Set!)

Oh, I should probably make an entry too, huh? Hmm...

Biggest Fan (g/w)
Creature - Human Child U
Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Biggest Fan is paired with another creature, that creature gets +2/+2 and is legendary.
It's not often you see someone so excited to meet, "The," Femeref Enchantress.
0/1

Cloud Rat
2014-05-10, 11:37 PM
Hm, alright, my final submission is:

Mountain Hideout
(2)(R)
Artifact R
Red Legendary Creatures you control have "T: This creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player."
"It's not a 'scaredy-cat hiding place'- it's a 'strategic retreat palace.'"

Saposhiente
2014-05-11, 12:25 AM
Biggest Fan

You know, when I read that title I was expecting a bigger Giant Fan (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=giant+fan). :smalltongue:
In all seriousness, "Fan" doesn't seem to fit well with MtG's feel; perhaps you want a synonym like Adorer? It's not that important either way.

Blue Ghost
2014-05-11, 12:43 AM
Champion's Attendant 1W
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Sacrifice Champion's Attendant: Target legendary creature gets +3/+3 and gains indestructible until end of turn.
"The bards sing of the mighty champions who slay monsters. But greater still are the unsung heroes who give their lives that victory may be possible." -Elspeth
2/2

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/ChampionsAttendant_zps1dae2240.jpg

Fortuna
2014-05-11, 12:56 AM
Hall of Mirrors 6
Artifact R
Creatures aren't legendary. When a player puts a creature into play, all other players put a token into play which is a copy of that creature.
Rakdos had spent a long time searching for a worthy opponent, and here he found one.

This needs the word 'nontoken'. Otherwise it ends the game the next time a creature enters play, often in a draw.

My own entry:

Loyal Shieldbearer 1W
Creature - Human Soldier
As Loyal Shieldbearer enters the battlefield, choose a legendary creature you control.
Sacrifice Loyal Shieldbearer: Regenerate the chosen creature.
1/3

TiaC
2014-05-11, 01:21 AM
Cloak of Stories 3
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has deathtouch.
As long as equipped creature is legendary, it has indestructible.
Equip 1
"Some say that all you need to be a hero is luck, but I disagree."

AgentPaper
2014-05-11, 01:24 AM
Nameless Blade 2
Artifact R
Equipped creature gets +3/+2.
If equipped creature is legendary, it stops being legendary and it's name becomes "Nameless" for as long as Nameless Blade is attached to it.
Equip 3

Beacon of Chaos
2014-05-11, 06:13 AM
As long as Biggest Fan is paired with another creature, that creature gets +2/+2 and is legendary.

Hmm, a rules question: What happens if you have two creatures with the same name in play and one is legendary while the other isn't?

Jormengand
2014-05-11, 06:45 AM
This needs the word 'nontoken'. Otherwise it ends the game the next time a creature enters play, often in a draw.

That's a good point. :smallredface:

Ninjaman
2014-05-11, 06:53 AM
Hmm, a rules question: What happens if you have two creatures with the same name in play and one is legendary while the other isn't?

The legendary rule only applies if both creatures are legendary.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-11, 12:07 PM
You know, when I read that title I was expecting a bigger Giant Fan (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=giant+fan). :smalltongue:
In all seriousness, "Fan" doesn't seem to fit well with MtG's feel; perhaps you want a synonym like Adorer? It's not that important either way.

It's tricky. This was pretty much a top-down design; a creature can only have one, 'biggest,' fan, and if you have two of them and they've each picked a different favorite saproling, they'll fight over which one is better. These kids are very competitive, it seems. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Still, I can kind of see how it might be too goofy to work from both a flavor and mechanics standpoint. I might need to make a more serious version.

Ionbound
2014-05-11, 12:41 PM
Memento Mori-BB

Sorcery-R

Controlled Legendary creature fights Target Legendary creature

The controller of the surviving creature sacrifices it.

Always Remember that You Will Die

EDIT: A bit of clarification here. This is designed to work with a couple of things: Cards that let you take control of a creature for a turn, cards that interact with fighting, and cards that interact with cards in the Graveyard or whatever it's called. Hence why it's black.

Fable Wright
2014-05-11, 01:16 PM
Valenar Plains
Tribal Land - Elf R
{T}: Add {W} or {R} to your mana pool. This mana can only be spent to cast Elf spells or activate Elf abilities.
Elves creatures you control have "Imprint: When this creature enters the battlefield, exile a Legendary creature card in your graveyard until this creature leaves the battlefield." As long as that card is exiled, they have "{W}{R}, {T}: This creature becomes a copy of the exiled card until end of turn."
Valenar Elves believe that by emulating the deeds of their ancestors, they give those ancestors new life.

LaZodiac
2014-05-11, 01:18 PM
PSst, the rules was that it had to be a non legendary card :smalltongue:

Fable Wright
2014-05-11, 01:19 PM
PSst, the rules was that it had to be a non legendary card :smalltongue:

This is what you get for overthinking ideas. >.>

LaZodiac
2014-05-11, 01:20 PM
Also...are there even white and red elves?

Fable Wright
2014-05-11, 01:30 PM
Also...are there even white and red elves?
Yes. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&color=|[W]|[R]&subtype=+[%22Elf%22]) Most notably Red in Alara block and White in Shadowmoor. Though, in the hypothetical block where this card is printed, there would be more.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-11, 03:07 PM
You know what, I'm changing my entry to a card that I was sure already existed, but mysteriously doesn't:

Casualty 2B
Instant - U
Destroy target nonlegendary creature. It can't be regenerated.

Memento Morii B
Enchantment - R
Sacrifice a planeswalker or legendary creature: each opponent sacrifices a planeswalker or legendary creature.

Lord Ruby34
2014-05-11, 04:07 PM
Paragon's Betrayal 1UU
Enchantment-Aura R
Enchant Legendary Creature
You control enchanted creature.

Treason can lurk in even the staunchest hearts.

Saposhiente
2014-05-11, 10:55 PM
Memento Mori-BB

Sorcery-R

Controlled Legendary fights Target Legendary

Sacrifice surviving creature

This card (a) does not follow proper wording rules (Legendary what? Creature? Permanent? Controlled by whom?), and (b) will never see play. Ever. Actual card text: "Unless there happen to be two legendary somethings in play at once, quite rare, this card is entirely useless."
Sorry to cut it to you harsh.

TiaC
2014-05-12, 04:54 AM
This card (a) does not follow proper wording rules (Legendary what? Creature? Permanent? Controlled by whom?), and (b) will never see play. Ever. Actual card text: "Unless there happen to be two legendary somethings in play at once, quite rare, this card is entirely useless."
Sorry to cut it to you harsh.

Also, it then has you sacrifice the survivor making the fight irrelevant. You don't always control the survivor, so this would have you perform an illegal action.

Eternis
2014-05-12, 05:40 AM
Caelum Arcum 3WW
Acheronta Movebo 4BB

Sorcery (R)
Sorcery (R)

Put a 4/4 white angel creature token with flying into play for each creature card in your graveyard.
Put a legendary 6/6 black demon creature token named Lucifer into play with haste, trample, flying, and "At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 3 life."

Fuse

onasuma
2014-05-12, 07:18 AM
Unwanted Destiny 3U
Enchantment - Aura Curse U
Enchant player.
Non-land permenants enchanted player controls are legendary.
Once the sages see it, it will come to pass.

mystic1110
2014-05-12, 09:31 AM
The problem with Legendary matters is that it is a theme that has to work at common, for it to work properly. THis mechanic is to help

Goldwood Warden G
Creature - Elf Warrior C
Esteemed (This creature is legendary if no other permanent has the same name.)
T: Add 1 to your mana pool. If Goldwood Warden is legendary, add G to your mana pool instead.
So many elves take care of the woods that is easy to forget that each one is a prodigious warrior, a stalwart soul, and a humble noble. Only when are they alone, are you reminded, that each one, is in fact a legend in their own right.
1/1

Binks
2014-05-14, 10:47 AM
Contest of Champions 3WW
Sorcery - MR
Destroy all non-legendary creatures.
"In a battle between ten thousand men and one hero it is often the ten thousand who must retreat."

Saposhiente
2014-05-14, 09:57 PM
Contest of Champions 3WW
Sorcery
"In a battle between ten thousand men and one hero it is often the ten thousand who must retreat."

(Psst- Pick a rarity. Rarity matters.)

Binks
2014-05-15, 10:45 AM
(Psst- Pick a rarity. Rarity matters.)
Oops. Corrected. Thanks.

Misothene
2014-05-15, 10:57 PM
Militant Atheist 1GG
Creature- Satyr Warrior R
When Militant Atheist enters the battlefield, you may exile target noncreature legendary permanent.
"Xenagos was just a satyr. The others are probably just stars."
3/3

Beacon of Chaos
2014-05-17, 08:34 AM
Judging Time! C'mon, grab your friends!

The Cabal's Lucky Shot B
Instant (R)
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a Minion.
Destroy target legendary creature.
As the dust settled, it was seen there was a heavy toll. A nameless soldier's arrow found our hero's neck. The war was won, but we had lost all the same.
I didn't even realise there were that many minion creatures, but apparently there's 40 of them.

Anyway, not bad, but considering the limitation of targeting legends only you could probably get away with not having a sacrifice cost. Compare to Bone Splinters (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=239983). Still, could be useful in a "legends matter" block, since yours is an instant.

Hall of Mirrors 6
Artifact R
Creatures aren't legendary. When a player puts a nontoken creature into play, all other players put a token into play which is a copy of that creature.
I like this. Very interesting for a low or no creature deck. Perhaps a little similar to Mirror Gallery (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74555) but overall decent.

Den of Coachria 5
Artifact - R
T: Add BB to your mana pool.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a legendary 3/3 black Zombie Wizard creature token with deathtouch and lifelink named "Coachria" into play.
Just as he is trapped in his dwelling, so too is he trapped within the mortal plane.
I get what you've done here, a creature that keeps coming back while avoiding exile effects, but it's not hugely exciting to me. Plus, the artifact itself feels like it should be legendary to me.

Hm, alright, my final submission is:

Mountain Hideout
(2)(R)
Artifact R
"It's not a 'scaredy-cat hiding place'- it's a 'strategic retreat palace.'"
I'm not gonna lie, I'm not sure how good this would be. A flat 2 damage with a tap on a creature is very good anyway; most creatures with that ability have a drawback to go with it. But the fact that it only affects legends... but all legends... I don't know. I think it would be too strong, but I feel like I don't know the game well enough to properly judge this card. I'm sorry.

Champion's Attendant 1W
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Sacrifice Champion's Attendant: Target legendary creature gets +3/+3 and gains indestructible until end of turn.
"The bards sing of the mighty champions who slay monsters. But greater still are the unsung heroes who give their lives that victory may be possible." -Elspeth
2/2

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/ChampionsAttendant_zps1dae2240.jpg
A simple, decent card. Could easily be fluffed as a Kamigawa samurai. Personally, I'd give it an extra, weaker, ability for non-legendary creatures, a bit like Kitsune Healer (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=50437), especially when this is common, but maybe that's just me.

Cool image though.

Loyal Shieldbearer 1W
Creature - Human Soldier
As Loyal Shieldbearer enters the battlefield, choose a legendary creature you control.
Sacrifice Loyal Shieldbearer: Regenerate the chosen creature.
1/3
Perhaps a bit limited? I think I'd rather have it target any legend instead of choosing one before hand. I get that you've done so for flavour reasons, but right now I can't see this being played much. Maybe if it had a passive ability that improved the chosen legend too.

Cloak of Stories 3
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has deathtouch.
As long as equipped creature is legendary, it has indestructible.
Equip 1
"Some say that all you need to be a hero is luck, but I disagree."
Yep, simple but well balanced equipment. Not much more to say.

Nameless Blade 2
Artifact R
Equipped creature gets +3/+2.
If equipped creature is legendary, it stops being legendary and it's name becomes "Nameless" for as long as Nameless Blade is attached to it.
Equip 3
Ooh, interesting. One extra legend in play for each copy of this and it's a decent equip on its own. I like it.

Memento Mori-BB

Sorcery-R

Controlled Legendary creature fights Target Legendary creature

The controller of the surviving creature sacrifices it.

EDIT: A bit of clarification here. This is designed to work with a couple of things: Cards that let you take control of a creature for a turn, cards that interact with fighting, and cards that interact with cards in the Graveyard or whatever it's called. Hence why it's black.
I see what you're doing with this, but the two abilities still feel redundant. I bring up Bone Splinters (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=239983) again because it's basically this card but better.

Valenar Plains
Tribal Land - Elf R
{T}: Add {W} or {R} to your mana pool. This mana can only be spent to cast Elf spells or activate Elf abilities.
Elves creatures you control have "Imprint: When this creature enters the battlefield, exile a Legendary creature card in your graveyard until this creature leaves the battlefield." As long as that card is exiled, they have "{W}{R}, {T}: This creature becomes a copy of the exiled card until end of turn."
Valenar Elves believe that by emulating the deeds of their ancestors, they give those ancestors new life.
So the creature taps to become a copy of a legend? It's cool, I suppose, using it with legends with passive effects or untap effects. Still, this card feels weird to me as it's kinda of like an awkward resurrection effect.

Bonus points for the Eberron theme though.

You know what, I'm changing my entry to a card that I was sure already existed, but mysteriously doesn't:

Casualty 2B
Instant - U
Destroy target nonlegendary creature. It can't be regenerated.
Technically I wanted the word legendary, not nonlegendary, but I'll let it slide. :smalltongue:

Anyway, this isn't bad, and I, too, am surprised it doesn't exist. It's simple and well costed. Not much else to say.

Paragon's Betrayal 1UU
Enchantment-Aura R
Enchant Legendary Creature

Treason can lurk in even the staunchest hearts.
Yeah, it's good. Not much else to say, other than I'm surpised something like this doesn't aleady exist.

Caelum Arcum 3WW
Acheronta Movebo 4BB

Sorcery (R)
Sorcery (R)

Put a 4/4 white angel creature token with flying into play for each creature card in your graveyard.
Put a legendary 6/6 black demon creature token named Lucifer into play with haste, trample, flying, and "At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 3 life."

Fuse

Hmm. I think 5 mana for just one flying 4/4 is pretty good, potentially getting more (especially if you're playing black) might be a bit strong. Also, this has fuse, but it's going to be pretty rare to play both halves of this at once. Lucifer seems well balanced at least.

Unwanted Destiny 3U
Enchantment - Aura Curse U
Enchant player.
Non-land permenants enchanted player controls are legendary.
Once the sages see it, it will come to pass.
Ooh, I like the idea of this as a curse. Especially good vs. token decks. Yes, good.

The problem with Legendary matters is that it is a theme that has to work at common, for it to work properly. THis mechanic is to help

Goldwood Warden G
Creature - Elf Warrior C
Esteemed (This creature is legendary if no other permanent has the same name.)
T: Add 1 to your mana pool. If Goldwood Warden is legendary, add G to your mana pool instead.
So many elves take care of the woods that is easy to forget that each one is a prodigious warrior, a stalwart soul, and a humble noble. Only when are they alone, are you reminded, that each one, is in fact a legend in their own right.
1/1
I like the idea of this new keyword. Gives me some interesting ideas, and I can defintely see a set being designed with it in mind. Perhaps my only gripe would be that, due to the new legend rule (that I only found out about yesterday), it should probably be "if no other permanent you control has the same name", but that's a minor thing.

Contest of Champions 3WW
Sorcery - MR
A good card. Well costed, nice potentially asymetrical destruction. I would very much like this in my Samurai deck. :smallbiggrin:

Militant Atheist 1GG
Creature- Satyr Warrior R
When Militant Atheist enters the battlefield, you may exile target noncreature legendary permanent.
"Xenagos was just a satyr. The others are probably just stars."
3/3
Noncreature legendary permanent seems very situational to me, though the fact that it's a 3/3 for 3 alleviates that. Potentially useful for sideboards, or in a legend heavy set.

Mystic1110 with Goldwood Warden!

Honourable mentions go to Jormengand, AgentPaper, and onasuma, who also had some really interesting ideas.

LaZodiac
2014-05-17, 09:21 AM
Congrats the winner!

Concerning my card: I had it sacrifice the minion because it felt like, your minion is killing himself to take down the legends. A lot of minion based stuff involves sacrifices, so it made thematic sense.

mystic1110
2014-05-17, 12:49 PM
Woot!

Since I won with a mechanic my contest will involve a mechanic.

Make a Card with a keyword featured in the upcoming set: Conspiracy.

For reference here are the spoilered cards that showcase the new mechanics, courtesy of MTGSALVATION.

Will of the council

Tyrant's Choice 1B
Sorcery
Will of the council — Starting with you, each player votes for death or torture. If death gets the most votes, each opponent sacrifices a creature. If torture gets the most votes or the vote is tied, each opponent loses 4 life.

Magister of Worth 4WB
Creature - Angel
Flying
Will of the Council — When Magister of Worth enters the battlefield, starting with you, each player votes for grace or condemnation. If grace gets more votes, each player returns each creature card from his or her graveyard to the battlefield. If condemnation gets more votes or the vote is tied, destroy all creatures other than Magister of Worth.
4/4

Parley

Selvala, Explorer Returned 1GW
Legendary Creature - Elf Scout
Parley — T: Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each nonland card revealed this way, add G to your mana pool and you gain 1 life. Then each player draws a card.
2/4

Dethrone

Marchesa, the Black Rose 1UBR
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Dethrone (Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for the most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Other creatures you control have dethrone
Whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it dies, return that card to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
3/3

LaZodiac
2014-05-17, 01:27 PM
Tournament of Duelists 2G
Instant (U)
Parley - Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each non land revealed this way, choose two target creatures with different controllers. Those creatures fight. Everyone draws a card.

It's...kind of hard to make these cards when we don't know which ability is what colour identity, but I think this fits :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Fixed my card up a bit now that I know how Parley works.

Lord Ruby34
2014-05-17, 02:17 PM
Tournament of Duelists 1GW
Enchantment (R)
Parley - T: Each player reveals a creature card from their hand and puts it on the battlefield, then fight target creature put on the field by the opponent across them from. Your creature gains Dethrone.

It's...kind of hard to make these cards when we don't know which ability is what colour identity, but I think this fits :smallbiggrin:

Psst. Enchantments aren't supposed to tap.

LaZodiac
2014-05-17, 02:18 PM
Psst. Enchantments aren't supposed to tap.

...right, forgot that.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-17, 03:01 PM
Parley 3U
Instant - C
Parley - Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each nonland card revealed this way, draw a card. Then, each player draws a card.

Jormengand
2014-05-17, 03:08 PM
Blast from the Future 2R
Sorcery - R
Will of the council - Starting with you, each player votes for Parley or Dethrone. If Parley gets more votes, each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each nonland card revealed in this way, add R to your mana pool and deal 1 damage to target creature or player. Then, each player draws a card. If Dethrone gets more votes or the vote is tied, creatures have Dethrone until end of turn. (Whenever that creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for the most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)

Sorry, I had to. (http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Blast+From+The+Past&v=card&s=cname)

Cloud Rat
2014-05-17, 04:19 PM
Rebellious Uprising
(3)(R)(W)
Enchantment
As an additional cost to cast
Creatures you control have dethrone. (Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for the most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Whenever a creature you control with two or more +1/+1 counters attacks, you may remove all +1/+1 counters from it. If you do, target player sacrifices a creature and loses 2 life.

Lord Ruby34
2014-05-17, 05:47 PM
How would I template a card that copied all the creature tokens on the battlefield and put the copy under the owner of the original token's control? I can't figure out the wording.

Blue Ghost
2014-05-17, 06:01 PM
How would I template a card that copied all the creature tokens on the battlefield and put the copy under the owner of the original token's control? I can't figure out the wording.

For each creature token on the battlefield, its controller puts a token that's a copy of that creature onto the battlefield. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=29992)

Androgeus
2014-05-17, 06:27 PM
Instant (U)
Parley - Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each non land revealed this way, target creature fights target creature of your choice. Everyone draws a card.

Do you want to be able to select different creatures to fight for each non-land card, or just have the two same guys fight? Currently this does the latter.

something like "For each creature token, its controller puts a token that is a copy of that creature onto the battlefield".

LaZodiac
2014-05-17, 06:28 PM
Do you want to be able to select different creatures to fight for each non-land card, or just have the two same guys fight? Currently this does the latter.

Ah, yes, thank you Androgeus.

Lord Ruby34
2014-05-17, 06:39 PM
Council of the Conclave 2WG
Sorcery R
Will of the Council- Starting with you each player votes for expansion or stability. If expansion gets more votes then for each creature token on the battlefield, its controller puts a token copy of that creature on the battlefield. If stability gets more votes or the vote is tied you get an emblem with creatures you control get +1/+1.

Thanks for the help on the wording.

Tom the Mime
2014-05-17, 06:40 PM
Trusted Physician 1B
Creature - Human R
Dethrone
Pay 3 life: You gain 3 life at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only once each turn.
Feigning weakness is an excellent way of avoiding attention
1/2

Blue Ghost
2014-05-17, 06:47 PM
Council of War RW
Sorcery (U)
Will of the council - Starting with you, each player votes peace or war. If peace gets the most votes, prevent all combat damage that would be dealt until your turn. If war gets the most votes or if the vote is tied, until your next turn, all creatures gain haste and must attack if able.

(No render yet, because finding a good picture for this is harder than I thought. Any suggestions?)

Cloud Rat
2014-05-17, 06:51 PM
Trusted Physician 1B
Creature - Human R
Dethrone
Pay 3 life: You gain 3 life at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only once each turn.
1/2

How is this good at all?

HypoSoc
2014-05-17, 07:04 PM
Entropic Demon 1WRB
Creature - Demon
Flying
Will of the Council- When Entropic Demon enters the battlefield, starting with you, each player votes for order or chaos. If order gets more votes, each player may search their library for a card and put it in their hand then shuffle their libraries. If chaos gets more votes or is tied, each player reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a non-land permanent. They put the permanent into play and shuffle the rest of the cards revealed into their library.
4/4

- - - Updated - - -

How is this good at all?

It lets you lose the position of "highest life total" for the purpose of dethrone.

Ionbound
2014-05-17, 07:09 PM
Unassuming Ruler-1W

Human Advisor-U

As long as ~ is on the battlefield, for the purposes of Dethrone you count as the player with the lowest life total.

Sometimes, the greatest wisdom is in remaining unseen.

1/1

Alright, I think this fulfills the competition requirements. Mystic, tell me if it doesn't so I can make a new one before the end of the contest.

Tom the Mime
2014-05-17, 07:12 PM
Exactly what hyposoc said. If the block was heavy with useful self life loss cards (like phryexian mana and sign in blood), I'd consider making it a 1/1 otherwise I could see it really getting away from you quickly in a B/R beatdown deck.

Blue Ghost
2014-05-17, 07:18 PM
Unassuming Ruler-1W

Human Advisor-U

As long as ~ is on the battlefield, for the purposes of Dethrone you count as the player with the lowest Health.

1/1

I realize this is horribly templated, so someone please tell me what I did wrong here.

The proper term is life total. But more importantly, since Dethrone is an ability word, it has no rules meaning, meaning that you cannot reference it in cards. I don't think there's any possible template that does what you want. You'd have to tweak the functionality to make it work.

EDIT: Nevermind. Dethrone is a keyword, and can and has been referenced.

Ionbound
2014-05-17, 07:20 PM
The proper term is life total. But more importantly, since Dethrone is an ability word, it has no rules meaning, meaning that you cannot reference it in cards. I don't think there's any possible template that does what you want. You'd have to tweak the functionality to make it work.

And how would I do that?

Oh, never mind. Thanks!

Blue Ghost
2014-05-17, 07:21 PM
And how would I do that?

Silly me. Dethrone is a keyword, not an ability word, so you can reference it. As for a template, I can't think of a really clean one off the top of my head. One possibility is, "If you have the highest life total among players, cards with dethrone treat the player with the next highest life total as having the highest life total instead."

Beacon of Chaos
2014-05-18, 11:00 AM
Kingslayer Goblin 2RR

Creature - Goblin Assassin - C

Dethrone, Haste

At the beginning of your end step, Kingslayer Goblin deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters put on Kingslayer Goblin this turn.

2/1

Eternis
2014-05-19, 08:34 AM
Decide Your Fate WWBBUUGGRR
Sorcery - R
Will of the Council - Starting with you, each player votes for Draw or Loss. If Draw gets more votes, then the game ends as a draw between all surviving players. If Loss gets more or equal votes, then each other player loses life and sacrifices permanents equal to the number of votes for Loss.

Tom the Mime
2014-05-19, 09:23 AM
Sorcery - R
Will of the Council - Starting with you, each player votes for Draw or Loss. If Draw gets more votes, then the game ends as a draw between all surviving players. If Loss gets more or equal votes, then each other player loses life and sacrifices permanents equal to the number of votes for Loss.

So it ends up being for 10 mana (in a very restrictive colour combination), each opponent loses life and sacrifices permanents equal to half the number of players rounded up? Not only that but you can't play it if you're winning because then they just accept a draw.

Binks
2014-05-19, 10:25 AM
Well since the contest is to use a mechanic from conspiracy, not just Will/Parley/Dethrone, I'd like to submit a Hidden Agenda card for consideration.

Poison the Bloodline
Conspiracy - R
Hidden Agenda (Start the game with this conspiracy face down in the command zone and secretly name a card. You may turn this conspiracy face up at any time and reveal the chosen name.)
When ~ is turned face up destroy all creatures with the chosen name.
Creatures with the chosen name get -1/-1

Eternis
2014-05-20, 06:53 AM
Well, let's say you play it when you and another player are losing, or you have cards in play so as to increase your voting number.
BAM. Sudden Tie.
Yeah, it's a terrible card. I just put it in for the lulz.

Misothene
2014-05-21, 02:03 AM
Public Enemy Number One 3WBR
Legendary Creature- Human Rebel MR
When Public Enemy Number One enters the battlefield, target player's life total becomes 40.
Public Enemy Number One can't be the target of spells or abilities controlled by players with the highest life total or tied for the highest life total.
All creatures have dethrone.
5/5

TiaC
2014-05-21, 03:00 AM
Allegiant Angel 3WW
Creature- Angel R
Flying
Dethrone
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Allegiant Angel: Gain 4 life
If you are the player with the most life or tied for the most life, Allegiant Angel gets +2/+2.
She champions her nation, no matter the odds.
2/2

onasuma
2014-05-24, 11:22 AM
Seritep, God of Pacts 3B
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God R
Indestructable
As long as your devotion to black is less than 4, ~ is not a creature.
Parley: At the beginning of your upkeep, each player reveals the top card of their library. For each non-land card revealed this way, each opponent loses 1 life. Then each player draws a card.
3/3

mystic1110
2014-05-24, 02:14 PM
Reserving this post for judgement - I might be late today due to other activities but I will have them up by noon tomorrow EST at the latest.

mystic1110
2014-05-25, 07:43 AM
LaZodiac

Instant (U)
Parley - Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each non land revealed this way, choose two target creatures with different controllers. Those creatures fight. Everyone draws a card.

This is a really solid Parely effect - It might be a little under costed since it can go two for one, and draw a card though. Especially as an uncommon I would have been happier if it was 3G

Dr.Gunsforhands

Parley 3U
Instant - C
Parley - Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each nonland card revealed this way, draw a card. Then, each player draws a card.

In a two player game at best this is a draw 3 for 3U and opponent draws a card. That's pretty good but unlikely to happen all that often. The fact that this card is a common also makes the underwhelming effect make more sense and the balance of this card really shines in that regard.

Jormengand
Blast from the Future 2R
Sorcery - R
Will of the council - Starting with you, each player votes for Parley or Dethrone. If Parley gets more votes, each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each nonland card revealed in this way, add R to your mana pool and deal 1 damage to target creature or player. Then, each player draws a card. If Dethrone gets more votes or the vote is tied, creatures have Dethrone until end of turn. (Whenever that creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for the most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)

Sorry, I had to. (http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Blast+From+The+Past&v=card&s=cname)

The hilarious part is that the choice between Parely and Dethrone almost makes thematic sense. Unfortunately I think the card is very weak for a rare.

Stinkweed Imp

Rebellious Uprising
(3)(R)(W)
Enchantment
As an additional cost to cast
Creatures you control have dethrone. (Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for the most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
Whenever a creature you control with two or more +1/+1 counters attacks, you may remove all +1/+1 counters from it. If you do, target player sacrifices a creature and loses 2 life.

I can't judge this card since it is incomplete. . . "As an additional cost to cast. . ." . . . what's the additional cost?

Lord Ruby34

Council of the Conclave 2WG
Sorcery R
Will of the Council- Starting with you each player votes for expansion or stability. If expansion gets more votes then for each creature token on the battlefield, its controller puts a token copy of that creature on the battlefield. If stability gets more votes or the vote is tied you get an emblem with creatures you control get +1/+1.

Thanks for the help on the wording.

My only grip with this card is that it gives you an emblem. Emblem till now have always been saved for planewalkers and mythic cards - and I think that the effect could have been handled with distributing +1/+1 counters instead (1 or two per creature?

Tom the Mime

Trusted Physician 1B
Creature - Human R
Dethrone
1/2

What this does is very cute - but dethrone isn't that strong of a mechanic to begin with. This card was on the right track but regaining the life lost seems boring. You could have replaced it with almost any other cheap black effect and you would have won

Blue Ghost

Council of War RW
Sorcery (U)
Will of the council - Starting with you, each player votes peace or war. If peace gets the most votes, prevent all combat damage that would be dealt until your turn. If war gets the most votes or if the vote is tied, until your next turn, all creatures gain haste and must attack if able.

(No render yet, because finding a good picture for this is harder than I thought. Any suggestions?)

This is a really well done Will of the council card that makes thematic sense and is costed well enough to be useful in two player games (forcing all creatures to attack) or making multiplayer games interesting.

HypoSoc

Entropic Demon 1WRB
Creature - Demon
Flying
Will of the Council- When Entropic Demon enters the battlefield, starting with you, each player votes for order or chaos. If order gets more votes, each player may search their library for a card and put it in their hand then shuffle their libraries. If chaos gets more votes or is tied, each player reveals cards from the top of their library until they reveal a non-land permanent. They put the permanent into play and shuffle the rest of the cards revealed into their library.
4/4

- - - Updated - - -

Another really well done Will of the Council Card. This one is well costed threat and is very exiting! Love it!

firedaemon33

Unassuming Ruler-1W

Human Advisor-U

As long as ~ is on the battlefield, for the purposes of Dethrone you count as the player with the lowest life total.

1/1

Alright, I think this fulfills the competition requirements. Mystic, tell me if it doesn't so I can make a new one before the end of the contest.

It fulfills the contest rules - but I hate cards like this: that reference abilities that they don't themselves have. You could have made this a 0/1 and gave it dethrone and it would have been a great card, but as it is now I think it is too parasitic.

Diego Havoc

Kingslayer Goblin 2RR

Creature - Goblin Assassin - C

Dethrone, Haste

At the beginning of your end step, Kingslayer Goblin deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters put on Kingslayer Goblin this turn.

This would have been a decent uncommon, but as a common this is too complicated - it would have been fine with just haste and dethrone

2/1
Eternis

Sorcery - R

This . . . . is just not a good card. For 10 mana all you will get usually is a small pox or an instant draw if you have another card out in play.

Binks

Poison the Bloodline
Conspiracy - R
Hidden Agenda (Start the game with this conspiracy face down in the command zone and secretly name a card. You may turn this conspiracy face up at any time and reveal the chosen name.)
When ~ is turned face up destroy all creatures with the chosen name.
Creatures with the chosen name get -1/-1

I'm going to be honest I have no clue how to judge these cards but in comparison to the other hidden agenda's they don't punish opposing players but only reward you. I guess it's to make them more fun - it's not fun to start the game with a huge hidden downside - but it is fun to start it with an upside.

Misothene

Public Enemy Number One 3WBR
Legendary Creature- Human Rebel MR
When Public Enemy Number One enters the battlefield, target player's life total becomes 40.
Public Enemy Number One can't be the target of spells or abilities controlled by players with the highest life total or tied for the highest life total.
All creatures have dethrone.
5/5

Probably should have made it "Protection from players with the highest life total or tied for the highest life total." Otherwise i like the card.

thisisacat
Allegiant Angel 3WW
Creature- Angel R
Flying
Dethrone
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Allegiant Angel: Gain 4 life
If you are the player with the most life or tied for the most life, Allegiant Angel gets +2/+2.
She champions her nation, no matter the odds.
2/2

Solid Dethrone card, I like how first you care about having a low life total and then it switches to caring about the highest.

onasuma
Seritep, God of Pacts 3B
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God R
Indestructable
As long as your devotion to black is less than 4, ~ is not a creature.
Parley: At the beginning of your upkeep, each player reveals the top card of their library. For each non-land card revealed this way, each opponent loses 1 life. Then each player draws a card.
3/3

Why the low devotion number? I mean it's a good card - effectively a phyrexian arena for your opponent and a free one for you. But something just bugs me by the devotion not staying true to standard. Don't worry I didn't knock your card just for that I just liked the winner better .

Winner is HypoSoc with Entropic Demon.

All in all i thought this was a good round - many players made extremely solid cards this round. I picked HypoSoc, out of all the runner ups (which are too many to count) simply because I thought his card was awesome on first reaction.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-05-25, 08:29 AM
Grats, Hyposoc!

And you're right, Mystic, I should have made that uncommon. Ah well.

Ionbound
2014-05-25, 08:32 AM
Blagh...It wouldn't have made sense for mine to have dethrone, fluff-wise. It's supposed to be someone that rules via Patsy so revolutions may come and go, but he remains in power.

LaZodiac
2014-05-25, 08:59 AM
Congrats to Hyposoc for winning.

Argh, once again I just scrape at the top place. Better luck next time :smallamused:

Tom the Mime
2014-05-25, 09:20 AM
Congrats Hyposoc. Seemed like a hard competition to judge power level/usefulness given the keywords are geared more towards games with more than two people but I'd agree that his and probably thisisacat's were probably the most interesting effects while still being balanced.

As for my card, I was going for the ability being a life flicker rather than a pay life. I might have been concerned over nothing but if it was there was no life gain, it seems too abusable for beatdown decks where you can wear the life loss to keep the dethrone growing (especially if you have more dethrone creatures) and probably take out many decks before they could take advantage. Adding a common black ability would probably be limited to -X/-0 as -X/-X could take out blockers (making it even better for beatdown and repeatable sacrifice or discard on it at a small life cost would be overpowered.

mystic1110
2014-05-25, 10:32 AM
This was a really hard competition to judge actually since the card had to make sense not just in a multiplayer game but in a two player game as well as being flavorful and balanced. Most people made really solid cards, only issues were slight costing issues of how I would have costed differently or rarity-complexity concerns. The winner was chosen out of all the runner ups simply due to the wow factor combined with flavor of the effect. Tom the Mime - Pay 3 life to give some one -1/-0 would have been really cool, -1/-1 would have been harder to judge as balanced but I think you could have gotten away with it. Maybe also "Target land is now a swamp" or even self-discard. Keeping Detrhone growing shouldn't be too bad of a concern when the price is 3 life each turn.. Firedaemon33 I agree that totally flavor-wise that it wouldn't make sense, but your card was still parasitic and that is not the most elegant design at the moment. I had trouble balancing in my mind what should be given greater weight: flavor or design, but I would think design takes priority although both are important.

Anyway once again Congrats Hyposoc.

LaZodiac
2014-05-25, 10:35 AM
I'm bad at judging what is a good cost vs rarity, because I just don't know how rare the rarities are.

HypoSoc
2014-05-25, 10:51 AM
Thanks mystic1110.

This next contest will be based of speculation.

Design a card for the upcoming set, Khans of Takir (https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1496).

Come up with a card that would fit into this set. Don't be afraid to invent mechanics.

Quick summary of Set: It's Sarkan Vol's (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?type=+[sarkhan]%7C%7Csubtype=+[sarkhan]) home plane. It seems to be based on the Mongols, with large groups of nomadic warlords competing for supremacy over bloody plains. Dragons are revered, but they have all died off.

Judging will take place on the 1st.

Ionbound
2014-05-25, 11:06 AM
Dragon Shaman-2RRGG

Human Mystic-R

T, RG: Summon a 4/4 Red Spirit Dragon token.

The dragons may be gone, but their spirits are still with us.

2/6

mystic1110
2014-05-25, 11:17 AM
Mad Kheshig 1RB
Creature - Human Warrior R
Horsemanship, Haste
Whenever Mad Kheshig deals combat damage to a player reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. Mad Kheshig deals damage to itself equal to that card's converted mana cost.
"I go where my Khan orders me - Not because I fear him, but because I know he orders me towards more blood and death. And that is my Feast!"
3/1

TiaC
2014-05-25, 02:45 PM
Nokud Squad 2W
Creature - Human Warrior C
Outpace (When this is blocked, you may remove it from combat.)
The free warrior of the plains are like the wind. You may feel their effect, but you will never catch them.
3/1

Tried my hand at a new mechanic.

LaZodiac
2014-05-25, 03:22 PM
Sarkhan, the Conqueror Who Returns 2GRB
Planeswalker -Sarkhan (M)
+1: Sacrifice a creature. Put a X/X black, red, and green Dragon Spirit creature token with flying on the battlefield, where X is sacrificed creature's power.
-X: All Dragons you control gain +X/+X until end of turn.
-8: You get an Emblem with "Whenever a Dragon creature dies, put a creature token that is a copy of that creature on the battlefield."
Loyalty: 5

TiaC
2014-05-25, 04:18 PM
Should the first ability give flying? There's little reason to use it now.

The second ability is rather weak, maybe +2X/+2X? Also, I don't think you need the second clause.

LaZodiac
2014-05-25, 04:22 PM
Should the first ability give flying? There's little reason to use it now.

The second ability is rather weak, maybe +2X/+2X? Also, I don't think you need the second clause.

...right, right. I should of put flying, I forgot that :smallredface:

And thanks for the other advice as well!

The_Tentacle
2014-05-25, 09:00 PM
Draconic Awakening {3RRG}
Sorcery (MR)
Each player sacrifices all lands they control, then puts a 5/5 red Dragon creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each land they sacrificed in this way.
"The dragons were never really gone. All this time, they were merely sleeping beneath our very feet."

Fortuna
2014-05-26, 01:28 AM
Draconic Rebirth {3RRR}
Sorcery (MR)
Each player sacrifices all lands they control, then puts a 5/5 red Dragon creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each land sacrificed in this way.
"The dragons were never really gone. All this time, they were merely sleeping beneath our very feet."

I'm not really sure about the name on this one. Any suggestions? Also, do you think the mana cost is too high for the effect?

I would have chosen Draconic Awakening rather than Draconic Rebirth. Power-wise, I'd suggest one of three possibilities.

First, change the mana cost to 3RRG. This means you can use green ramp to get ahead on lands (that is, dragons).
Second, give the dragons haste. That way, you can swing with them before your opponent can.
Third, change it to "Choose a number. Each player sacrifices that many lands, then puts a 5/5 red Dragon creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each land sacrificed in this way." That gives you a measure of needed control over the effect, letting you moderate it if need be - or just destroy all lands otherwise.

Eternis
2014-05-26, 02:04 AM

Tried my hand at a new mechanic.

Two things:
First, it's an OLD mechanic, from Onslaught (2002), and second, based on naming conventions, it would be titled "Gustcloak". Although the "Gustcloak" ability was more powerful, as it untapped the creature as well...

ANYWAYS

Prayer of the Flight 4RRR
Sorcery - R
Each creature you control gets +3/+3, Flying, and gains the creature type Dragon in addition to its other types until end of turn.
~ deals 2 damage to each non-dragon creature.

@LaZod: I hope you mean, whenever a NON-TOKEN dragon creature blah blah blah.

Saposhiente
2014-05-26, 02:08 AM
First, it's an OLD mechanic, from Onslaught (2002), and second, based on naming conventions, it would be titled "Gustcloak". Although the "Gustcloak" ability was more powerful, as it untapped the creature as well...

So it's not the same ability. Heck, they reinvented Flying twice, why not others eh?

Eternis
2014-05-26, 04:27 AM
Mainly the fact that a) the other forms of flying have all but died out, and b) power creep ensures that should this ability end up seeing play in tournaments, someone will re-find the gustcloak and suddenly this ability which is powerful and relevant, having a portion of the set built around it, will be subsumed in Legacy/Vintage by an older ability that functions practically identically, except with greater power.

TiaC
2014-05-26, 06:47 AM
The ability is supposed to represent the great maneuverability of the mongol hordes. Six cards in one color, five in one set do not a keyword make.

I was tired of seeing everyone make rares and mythic rares. It's intended to be a limited card.

I could change it to "When this is blocked, choose a blocking creature. This becomes blocked by that creature instead." (I think that's the right templating. It can't make another creature become unblocked, but it can get out of a bad block itself.)

The_Tentacle
2014-05-26, 11:10 AM
I would have chosen Draconic Awakening rather than Draconic Rebirth. Power-wise, I'd suggest one of three possibilities.

First, change the mana cost to 3RRG. This means you can use green ramp to get ahead on lands (that is, dragons).
Second, give the dragons haste. That way, you can swing with them before your opponent can.
Third, change it to "Choose a number. Each player sacrifices that many lands, then puts a 5/5 red Dragon creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each land sacrificed in this way." That gives you a measure of needed control over the effect, letting you moderate it if need be - or just destroy all lands otherwise.

I like the name, and the mana cost change makes sense, but I don't like the ordered aspect that choosing the number would impose on this. Thanks for the help though!

Cloud Rat
2014-05-26, 12:43 PM
Half-Orc Battalion WR
Creature - Half-Orc U
Half-Orc Battalion gets +0/+1 for each Human you control.
Half-Orc Battalion gets +1/+0 for each Orc you control.
Born Of Two- If you control both a Human and an Orc, Half-Orc Battalion gets +2/+2 and lifelink.
2/2
Bridging between brutal savagery and powerful order, the half-orc embodies the best qualities of human and orc.

...C'mon, who doesn't want to see orcs back in Magic?

Saposhiente
2014-05-26, 12:45 PM
Born Of Two- If you control a Human, an Orc, and a Half-Orc, Half-Orc Horde gets +1/+1 and lifelink.

The "and a Half-Orc" requirement will always be fulfilled; perhaps you meant "and another Half-Orc?"

Cloud Rat
2014-05-26, 12:51 PM
Thanks a lot! :smallredface:

What do you think of the actual card?

Blue Ghost
2014-05-26, 01:10 PM
@LaZod: I hope you mean, whenever a NON-TOKEN dragon creature blah blah blah.

Considering that it's the ultimate of a 5-cost, 3-color planeswalker that has no intrinsic protection and takes 3 turns to build up, I think making all your dragons effectively immortal shouldn't be too game-breaking.

The ability is supposed to represent the great maneuverability of the mongol hordes. Six cards in one color, five in one set do not a keyword make.

I was tired of seeing everyone make rares and mythic rares. It's intended to be a limited card.

I could change it to "When this is blocked, choose a blocking creature. This becomes blocked by that creature instead." (I think that's the right templating. It can't make another creature become unblocked, but it can get out of a bad block itself.)

I like it personally. It's certainly viable as a block keyword, and flavorful. And good common designs are something we haven't had enough of. :smallsmile:

Thanks a lot! :smallredface:

What do you think of the actual card?

Born of Two requires three other creatures of specific types? That's way too restrictive on deckbuilding, and way too difficult to activate. Would be better if you cut out the "another Half-Orc" restriction, but even then, there would still be a lot of room for refinement. How many cards are you planning to have in the set with that ability? I think your card would carry the flavor quite well without it.
Also, with the current abilities, your card should be RW. Change the cost to RW, up it to 2/2, and refine or perhaps remove the last ability, and you're golden.

Jormengand
2014-05-26, 01:11 PM
Golden Dragon Cannon 3
[Image shows a firework-launching cannon with two fireworks, complete with dragon head insignia, loaded, and a third soaring off into the sky.]
Artifact R
T, R -Golden dragon cannon does damage equal to the number of dragons you control, divided as you wish between one, two or three target creatures of players.
Their souls live on in our great weapons.

Blue Ghost
2014-05-26, 01:19 PM
Muster the Hordes - 3RW
Enchantment (R)
Bloodspill - Whenever a creature dies during combat, put a 1/1 red and white Warrior creature token onto the battlefield.
“We number as the stars in the sky. You cannot hope to defeat us!” - Rogath, khan of Wyrmblood Mountain

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/MustertheHordes_zpse3b42874.jpg

Saposhiente
2014-05-26, 01:38 PM
Takir General 2RR
Creature - Warlord R
At the start of your declare attackers step, the defending player divides their creatures into two piles. You choose one pile; creatures in the other pile can't block until end of turn.
Divide and conquer. The Takir warlords always outmaneuvered their enemy and struck where they were weakest, never allowing them to bring their full force to bear.
2/2

TiaC
2014-05-26, 02:06 PM
Divide and Conquer {B/R}{B/R}
Enchantment U
At the start of your declare attackers step, the defending player divides their creatures into two piles. You choose one pile; creatures in the other pile can't block until end of turn.
The Takir warlords always outmaneuvered their enemy and struck where they were weakest, never allowing them to bring their full force to bear.

Deciding on the colors was tricky, as I wanted it to be red to fit with the outmaneuvering idea, but the tacticalness made it feel almost blue. Decided that it was extremely unlikely that any blue deck would make use of this, and that black also did this sort of tactic. Furthermore, most warlords are red, and the rest are black.

Feels very similar to Raging River (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=813).

@Blue Ghost: Should that read "Whenever a non-token creature dies during combat"?

What do people think of the other version of outpace I proposed?

Saposhiente
2014-05-26, 02:36 PM
Feels very similar to Raging River (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=813).

Whoops. Made it into a creature with the same effect.
I would name it after a specific general but we don't know any yet as far as I see.

Blue Ghost
2014-05-26, 03:48 PM
@Blue Ghost: Should that read "Whenever a non-token creature dies during combat"?

What do people think of the other version of outpace I proposed?

Nope. The idea is that you never run out of men (as long as they don't kill them outside of combat or something). I think that's fair for a 5-mana card?
And I'm imagining this set to be an environment of epic battles with huge armies, so there will be a lot of tokens and battles between them. Bloodspill as a mechanic wants to take advantage of that.

I like your first version better. It's more versatile and simpler, which is better for a set mechanic. Your second version might be too complex for common.

TiaC
2014-05-26, 04:11 PM
I agree, it should be fine.

I also thought it might be too much for common, but keywords have a bit more flexibility there.

AgentPaper
2014-05-26, 08:53 PM
Takir Outrider 1R
Creature - Human Barbarian C
Agility (Whenever a creature without Agility blocks this creature, you may have Takir Outrider deal its combat damage to another creature instead.)
Only a fool allows the enemy to dictate his movements.
2/1

Misothene
2014-05-26, 08:58 PM
Sorcery (MR)
Each player sacrifices all lands they control, then puts a 5/5 red Dragon creature token with flying and haste onto the battlefield for each land sacrificed in this way.

Is this intended to give the players dragons for each land THEY sacrificed?... Or does it give everyone the same number of dragons (as currently written, that's what it does)?... If the former:

This seems to be severely undercosted. For six mana, you are ending the game. Without lands, there is almost no way the opponents can come back from a dragon deficit, and giving the dragons haste makes it even worse. In a deck with any amount of ramp and/or land destruction, this would be an absolute nightmare, even if the format only has land destruction with CMC 4.

If this gives everyone the same number of dragons, radically altering the landscape of the game in this way still usually costs more than 6 (see: Warp World, Worldfire).

Fortuna
2014-05-27, 03:34 AM
Takir Outrider 1R
Agility (Whenever a creature without Agility blocks this creature, you may have it deal it's combat damage to another creature instead.)
2/1

Agility seems ambiguous. Does it mean that whenever a creature without agility blocks Takir Outrider, you may have Takir Outrider deal its (note lack of apostrophe) damage to another creature instead, or that whenever a creature without agility blocks Takir Outrider, you may have that creature deal its combat damage to another creature instead? If the latter, does it have to be a blocked creature? A creature you control? Just any creature? If the former, does it have to be a blocking creature? A creature that player controls? Just any creature?

AgentPaper
2014-05-27, 10:01 AM
Agility seems ambiguous. Does it mean that whenever a creature without agility blocks Takir Outrider, you may have Takir Outrider deal its (note lack of apostrophe) damage to another creature instead, or that whenever a creature without agility blocks Takir Outrider, you may have that creature deal its combat damage to another creature instead? If the latter, does it have to be a blocked creature? A creature you control? Just any creature? If the former, does it have to be a blocking creature? A creature that player controls? Just any creature?

I thought it was fairly obvious that it was the first one there, but I clarified it anyways.

Also, damn you it's/its! (fixed)

Binks
2014-05-27, 10:23 AM
Khaber, Leader of the Sworn - 2{R}{R}
Legendary Creature - Barbarian Warrior - R
Whenever ~ attacks, attacking creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn if an attacking creature you control has first strike. The same is true for double strike, intimidate and trample.
"Sworn to reclaim their homes. Sworn to avenge their fallen."
4/3

Ionbound
2014-05-27, 01:11 PM
Had a better idea.

Temir Lenk, the Scourge of the Gods-2RRB

Legendary Human Warlord-MR

Haste

Whenever a creature dealt damage by Temir Lenk this turn dies, that creature's controller puts an artifact token named Skull onto the battlefield. It has "Creatures you control get -1/-1."

And there, before the city wall, he built a pyramid of the skulls of his slain enemies, 9,000 high. What will he do to us? ~Anonymous Soldier

5/4

AgentPaper
2014-05-27, 02:04 PM
Had a better idea.

Haste

Whenever a creature your opponent(s) controls is destroyed by ~, all creatures they control get -1/-1

And there, before the city wall, he built a pyramid of the skulls of his slain enemies, 9,000 high. What will he do to us? ~Anonymous Soldier

5/4

I think the wording you want is: Whenever a creature your opponent controls that was dealt damage by Temir Lenk this turn dies, all creatures controlled by that creature's controller get -1/-1 until end of turn.

Or a more reasonable version: Whenever a creature dealt damage by Temir Lenk this turn dies, creatures your opponents control get -1/-1 until end of turn.

Or perhaps: Whenever a creature dealt damage by Temir Lenk this turn dies, that creature's controller puts an artifact token named Skull onto the battlefield. It has "Creatures you control get -1/-1."

Ionbound
2014-05-27, 04:22 PM
I quite like that last one, and it fits the fluff. Thanks, Agent.

Fortuna
2014-05-27, 04:24 PM
Cunning Outrider 2WU
Creature - Human Scout (U)
{T}: Remove target attacking creature from combat unless its controller removes two creatures she controls from combat.
Though the hordes are formidable when they charge as one, their lack of discipline makes them easy to divide.
1/3

onasuma
2014-05-28, 04:27 AM
Exhaustive Tactics 2G/R
Instant U
Blocked creatures you control gain first strike and wither until end of turn.
"Soon our foes will welcome the rest we grant them." - Unknown outrider

Lord Ruby34
2014-05-29, 08:03 PM
Shepherd of Civilization 2UU
Creature-Human Wizard U
At the beginning of combat on your opponents turn you may tap a creature that player controls.
The Magi are often the only hope of those that would live their lives away from the Khans of Tarkir.
0/4

Riding the West Wind U
Enchantment-Aura C
Enchant Creature
Enchanted Creature has flying.
There are those who can tame even the sky, and claim what dragons once ruled.

I like the flavor this card has, but it's much to simple for a contest like this.

Saposhiente
2014-05-29, 08:13 PM
Shepard of the Cities 2UU
Creature-Human Wizard U
At the beginning of combat on your opponents turn you may tap a creature that player controls.
The Magi are often the only hope of those that would live their lives away from the Khans of Tarkir.
0/4

Seems overcosted for the effect. I would raise the stats a bit.

Lord Ruby34
2014-05-29, 08:30 PM
Seems overcosted for the effect. I would raise the stats a bit.

This isn't meant to be a constructed card, it's for limited control decks, and I would hope it does it's job nicely in one of those. It holds back their strongest creature every turn (and lets you attack through it), as well as blocking a bear or a 3/3. If I put it at Rare I would definitely want to make it a two or three drop. It's possible the card wants an extra point of toughness, but that really does depend on the set, what the average power is compared to toughness, and what combat tricks are available.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-29, 09:01 PM
Wrath of the Khans XBBR
Sorcery - MR
Return up to X target creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield. Each of those creatures has, "When this creature enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature." Sacrifice each of the returned creatures as the beginning of the next end step.
The most intense brand of rage can burn even from Hell's heart.

Fortuna
2014-05-29, 09:28 PM
Wrath of the Khans XBBR
Sorcery - MR
Return up to X target creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield. Each of those creatures has, "When this creature enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature." Sacrifice each of the returned creatures as the beginning of the next end step.

You're a terrible, terrible person. :smalltongue:

The_Tentacle
2014-06-01, 09:53 AM
Shepard of Civilization 2UU
Creature-Human Wizard U
0/4

Just want to say that Shepherd as in someone who herds sheep and the like is spelled Shepherd, not Shepard.

You're a terrible, terrible person. :smalltongue:

You got me curious. Mind explaining this little comment?

LaZodiac
2014-06-01, 09:55 AM
You got me curious. Mind explaining this little comment?

The Wrath of Khan. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54)

Lord Ruby34
2014-06-01, 01:20 PM
Just want to say that Shepherd as in someone who herds sheep and the like is spelled Shepherd, not Shepard.

I didn't know that, thanks.

HypoSoc
2014-06-01, 07:19 PM
Mad Kheshig 1RB
Creature - Human Warrior R
Horsemanship, Haste
Whenever Mad Kheshig deals combat damage to a player reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. Mad Kheshig deals damage to itself equal to that card's converted mana cost.
"I go where my Khan orders me - Not because I fear him, but because I know he orders me towards more blood and death. And that is my Feast!"
3/1
Simple, weel-costed, and effective. I like how you bring back Sarkhan the Mad's ability.

Nokud Squad 2W
Creature - Human Warrior C
The free warrior of the plains are like the wind. You may feel their effect, but you will never catch them.
3/1
I love this card. It feels very effective for the limited environment and the mechanic is simple.

Sarkhan, the Conqueror Who Returns 2GRB
Planeswalker -Sarkhan (M)
+1: Sacrifice a creature. Put a X/X black, red, and green Dragon Spirit creature token with flying on the battlefield, where X is sacrificed creature's power.
-X: All Dragons you control gain +X/+X until end of turn.
-8: You get an Emblem with "Whenever a Dragon creature dies, put a creature token that is a copy of that creature on the battlefield."
Loyalty: 5
Not really feeling the green here. Might have been better if it were just rakdos or red, and the Dragon tokens had haste.

Sorcery (MR)
Each player sacrifices all lands they control, then puts a 5/5 red Dragon creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each land they sacrificed in this way.
I like the theme, and its effect on multiplayer, but the Green is unnecessarily restrictive and not reflective of the color pie.

Prayer of the Flight 4RRR
Sorcery - R
Each creature you control gets +3/+3, Flying, and gains the creature type Dragon in addition to its other types until end of turn.
~ deals 2 damage to each non-dragon creature.
Very effective finisher, take to the skies and eat all the birds, though compare it to overwhelming stampede.

Half-Orc Battalion WR
Creature - Half-Orc U
Half-Orc Battalion gets +0/+1 for each Human you control.
Half-Orc Battalion gets +1/+0 for each Orc you control.
Born Of Two- If you control both a Human and an Orc, Half-Orc Battalion gets +2/+2 and lifelink.
2/2
Bridging between brutal savagery and powerful order, the half-orc embodies the best qualities of human and orc.

Its a bear that forces you to build a deck around it. If it were a Human Orc rather than a Half-Orc in type, it would be better in that it at least stacks with itself. I do not like the Born Of Two ability, since it feels like it will rarely have any effect.

Golden Dragon Cannon 3
[Image shows a firework-launching cannon with two fireworks, complete with dragon head insignia, loaded, and a third soaring off into the sky.]
Artifact R
T, R -Golden dragon cannon does damage equal to the number of dragons you control, divided as you wish between one, two or three target creatures of players.
Their souls live on in our great weapons.
Too restrictive, since most dragons are rare and high costed.

Muster the Hordes - 3RW
Enchantment (R)
Bloodspill - Whenever a creature dies during combat, put a 1/1 red and white Warrior creature token onto the battlefield.
“We number as the stars in the sky. You cannot hope to defeat us!” - Rogath, khan of Wyrmblood Mountain

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/MustertheHordes_zpse3b42874.jpg

Very good flavor, and I love bloodspill. My biggest issue is that one can easily go infinite by having a sac outlet during the combat phase. It would have been much better if you specified they had to die from combat damage.

Takir General 2RR
Creature - Warlord R
Divide and conquer. The Takir warlords always outmaneuvered their enemy and struck where they were weakest, never allowing them to bring their full force to bear.
2/2
Flavorful and effective.

Takir Outrider 1R
Agility (Whenever a creature without Agility blocks this creature, you may have Takir Outrider deal its combat damage to another creature instead.)
2/1
I don't really like the effect, since it doesn't make sense thematically to me. I block and stab you and in retaliation you shoot down my Birds of Paradise?

Khaber, Leader of the Sworn - 2{R}{R}
Legendary Creature - Barbarian Warrior - R
Whenever ~ attacks, attacking creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn if an attacking creature you control has first strike. The same is true for double strike, intimidate and trample.
"Sworn to reclaim their homes. Sworn to avenge their fallen."
4/3
Simple, but pretty boring. I don't like how it needs other cards to be more than an inefficient 4 drop.

Haste

Whenever a creature dealt damage by Temir Lenk this turn dies, that creature's controller puts an artifact token named Skull onto the battlefield. It has "Creatures you control get -1/-1."

5/4
This is so thematic and fun looking. If you had cost it 3RB (I don't like asymmetrical mana costs), and made skulls give -1/-0 (how does intimidation actually kill things?) then this would have won hands down.

Cunning Outrider 2WU
Creature - Human Scout (U)
{T}: Remove target attacking creature from combat unless its controller removes two creatures she controls from combat.
Though the hordes are formidable when they charge as one, their lack of discipline makes them easy to divide.
1/3
Unfortunately too complicated for uncommon and too weak for rare.

Exhaustive Tactics 2G/R
Instant U
Blocked creatures you control gain first strike and wither until end of turn.
"Soon our foes will welcome the rest we grant them." - Unknown outrider
A good card, but wither does not make too much sense thematically to me for mongol hordes.

Shepherd of Civilization 2UU
Creature-Human Wizard U
0/4

Its decent wall and thematically appropriate.

Wrath of the Khans XBBR
Sorcery - MR
So, the cards in your graveyard are so angry they don't stay dead? Mechanically, it is fine, but I don't really real how non-magical humans can come back without being zombies or spirits, even for just a turn.

Mad Kheshig
Nokud Squad
Muster the Hordes
Takir General
Temir Lenk, the Scourge of the Gods
Shepherd of Civilization

thisisacat for a card whose horde would inspire fear. It was a narrow victory over mystic, but I have to congratulate the gall of submitting a common.

Ionbound
2014-06-01, 08:25 PM
Ah...Not knowing my judge strikes again...And the idea behind the skulls is that they reduce willingness to defend oneself and eventually lead directly to a full retreat, which, for the purposes of Magic, would be the card going to the graveyard. After all, everything's a summon, right? And if your summon leaves, it's not going back into your library...Where else would it go?

LaZodiac
2014-06-01, 08:27 PM
Dang, didn't win this time. I probably should of included something a touch greener. Ah well, maybe I'll win next time :smallwink:

TiaC
2014-06-01, 08:33 PM
Woo, first win!

This week's challenge will be to make a card that uses an off-color ability in a way that fits. The card must feel like it is in the right color, even though it has the off-color ability as a central piece.

Mystic Muse
2014-06-01, 08:56 PM
Woo, first win!

This week's challenge will be to make a card that uses an off-color ability in a way that fits. The card must feel like it is in the right color, even though it has the off-color ability as a central piece.

Can you give us an example?

mystic1110
2014-06-01, 09:19 PM
So close! darn it :smalltongue:. Congrats thisisacat!

LaZodiac
2014-06-01, 09:43 PM
Firebark Redwood 3G
Creature Treefolk Shaman (U)
{R}: ~ gets +1/-1 until end of turn
0/6
"When they called it the Redwood, I presumed it was a metaphor." - Tamiyo

TiaC
2014-06-01, 09:45 PM
Can you give us an example?

Many of Planar Chaos's Colorshifted cards are like this. They have abilities that are not usually in their color even though they fit. It doesn't have to actually be a Colorshifted version of a real card.

Saposhiente
2014-06-01, 11:01 PM
I don't see the judging of my card.
You put my card under my card's name instead of my name.

Misothene
2014-06-01, 11:02 PM
Many of Planar Chaos's Colorshifted cards are like this. They have abilities that are not usually in their color even though they fit. It doesn't have to actually be a Colorshifted version of a real card.

I think this should be clarified, even if I'm the only one that's confused. The original post said "off-color ability." I read this as "ability with an off-color activation cost," such as Simic Ragworm or Loathsome Catoblepas.

From your description, though, it seems you're looking for a card in a color that doesn't/can't normally do that thing, such as most of Planar Chaos. Is this an accurate characterization?

TiaC
2014-06-02, 12:25 AM
From your description, though, it seems you're looking for a card in a color that doesn't/can't normally do that thing, such as most of Planar Chaos. Is this an accurate characterization?
Yes, that's quite right. It should do something that its color(s) usually doesn't while still feeling like that color(s).

HypoSoc
2014-06-02, 01:38 AM
Warpshredder 3U
Creature - Elemental - R
Whenever ~ becomes blocked, you may return the blocking creature to its owner's hand.
1U: The next time a permanent would return to its owner's hand this turn, you may destroy it instead.
Many a teleporter have met their end when their travel path intersects with its den.
3/3

Jormengand
2014-06-02, 06:37 AM
Based heavily on a War of Omens card, but ehh.

Bureaucrat 2WW
Creature - Human Advisor U
T: Counter target spell.
And I assume you have a signed permit to move an army through the west gates?
1/3

Binks
2014-06-02, 10:35 AM
Spirit of the Circle - 4{G}{G}
Creature - Spirit (R)
Lifelink
Whenever a creature enters or leaves the battlefield you may gain 1 life.
"All are connected in the circle."
3/6

mystic1110
2014-06-02, 10:38 AM
Sold into Slavery 2B
Sorcery U
Gain control of target creature an opponent controls until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. That creature's controller may place a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Fable Wright
2014-06-02, 12:39 PM
Based heavily on a War of Omens card, but ehh.

Bureaucrat 2WW
T: Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1

Does this bureaucrat have a power and toughness, or is it supposed to be a noncreature permanent?

Blue Ghost
2014-06-02, 04:15 PM
Uniformity - 3W
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
W: Target creature becomes a copy of enchanted creature for as long as you control Uniformity.
"To achieve a perfect world, we must eradicate the individual." -Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Uniformity_zpsb91d2776.jpg

Saposhiente
2014-06-02, 06:08 PM
Song of Freedom RR
Sorcery R
Destroy all enchantments with an ability that prevents one or more creatures from attacking or that would return an exiled permanent to the battlefield once they are destroyed.

An off-color ability that expresses one of the greatly-underexpressed aspects of Red. What more can you want?
If anyone finds this wording confusing please tell me.

Lord Ruby34
2014-06-02, 07:14 PM
Comrades in Arms 1RR
Enchantment R
Each non-token creature you control gets +1/+1 for each other non-token creature you control.
We find strength in that which divides us. In our differences we find what truly matters most.

Another take on red's reflection of individuality. I thought about adding a clause about creatures of the same name not getting that benefit, but it was too clunky and didn't add much.

Wizened Master 1UU
Creature - Human Monk U
First Strike, Deathtouch
He has honed his reflexes and studied anatomy since he was a child. Now his aim is always true, and one blow is all he ever needs.
1/1

Another take on blue being the color of preparation and planning.

Frenzied Sculptor 1R
Creature- Human R
Haste
R and tap; put a 0/1 colorless artifact creature with defender onto the battlefield. It has "1:Sacrifice this creature, draw a card. Activate this ability only during your own turn."
0/1

AgentPaper
2014-06-02, 07:34 PM
Edit: Wrong contest challenge, pay no mind.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-06-02, 08:01 PM
Searing Striker 3R
Creature - Elemental Ninja U
Haste
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Searing Striker.
Ninjutsu 2R (R, Return an unblocked attacking creature you control to its owner's hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
6/1

Eternis
2014-06-03, 03:56 AM
Martyr's Sacrifice - WW
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchant Creature
When enchanted creature is put into a graveyard from play, each other player sacrifices a creature.

Beacon of Chaos
2014-06-03, 06:53 AM
Cursed Magic 3B

Enchantment - Aura - U

Enchant Artifact or Enchantment

Enchanted artifact or enchantment has "At the beginning of your upkeep, pay 2 life or sacrifice this permanent".

At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 2 life.

Artifact and enchantment removal in black, with the downside that 1) it's slow to kick in and 2) your opponent may choose to keep paying you life instead.

Jormengand
2014-06-03, 07:39 AM
Does this bureaucrat have a power and toughness, or is it supposed to be a noncreature permanent?

He probably should have some P/T, yeah. Always forget that. :smallredface:

Misothene
2014-06-04, 02:01 PM
Repentant Servitude 3WW
Enchantment- Aura U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has defender.

AgentPaper
2014-06-04, 03:04 PM
I need to pay more attention. Turns out I did make my card with the right challenge contest in mind. Anyways, here it is again:

Champion's Challenge 4WW
Enchantment R
At the beginning of each player’s combat step, for each opponent, that player chooses a creature they control and their opponent chooses a creature they control, then those creatures fight. If the player’s creature dies, they cannot attack this turn. If the opponent’s creature dies, they cannot block this turn.

TiaC
2014-06-08, 11:48 PM
Firebark Redwood 3G
Creature Treefolk Shaman (U)
{R}: ~ gets +1/-1 until end of turn
0/6
"When they called it the Redwood, I presumed it was a metaphor." - Tamiyo

This was not really what I meant, I'll give you some slack because I had not yet clarified. However, it seems underpowered as it's only worth its cost if its controller has large amounts of available red mana.

Warpshredder 3U
Creature - Elemental - R
Whenever ~ becomes blocked, you may return the blocking creature to its owner's hand.
1U: The next time a permanent would return to its owner's hand this turn, you may destroy it instead.
Many a teleporter have met their end when their travel path intersects with its den.
3/3

Blue Semi-Deathtouch. I like the execution, it combines two very blue effects to produce an effect that is usually black.

Bureaucrat 2WW
T: Counter target spell.
1/3

White Counterspells. While white's themes allow counterspelling, I am concerned with both the power and rarity of this card. Repeatable counterspelling is very uncommon and usually comes with a high cost. As an uncommon, this will be very unbalancing in limited.

Spirit of the Circle - 4{G}{G}
Creature - Spirit (R)
Lifelink
Whenever a creature enters or leaves the battlefield you may gain 1 life.
"All are connected in the circle."
3/6

Green Lifelink. While green is the secondary color for life gain, it rarely gets lifelink. The secondary ability reinforces the theme of the card. The P/T seems a little odd to go with the cost and type. As a rare, this could stand a bit more power.

Sold into Slavery 2B
Sorcery U
Gain control of target creature an opponent controls until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. That creature's controller may place a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Black creature theft. While I get the flavor you were going for here, the fact that it's temporary doesn't really fit the idea of slavery. Also, the Gold seems a little fiddly. It's a good idea, but the execution could use some refinement.

Uniformity - 3W
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
W: Target creature becomes a copy of enchanted creature for as long as you control Uniformity.
"To achieve a perfect world, we must eradicate the individual." -Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

White Duplication. This is a very White concept. I like the flexibility of what this can accomplish.

Song of Freedom RR
Sorcery R
Destroy all enchantments with an ability that prevents one or more creatures from attacking or that would return an exiled permanent to the battlefield once they are destroyed.

Red Enchantment removal. While a very red effect, this ends up being color-hosing against white. It is also quite limited in effect. This seems like a card that is too direct in its response to the metagame.

Comrades in Arms 1RR
Enchantment R
Each non-token creature you control gets +1/+1 for each other non-token creature you control.
We find strength in that which divides us. In our differences we find what truly matters most.

Red global pump. While global pump is uncommon among red, this card does not feel particularly red. While you use themes of individualism, the effect is more collective. It also is rather powerful in comparison to most similar effect.

Searing Striker 3R
Creature - Elemental Ninja U
Haste
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Searing Striker.
Ninjutsu 2R (R, Return an unblocked attacking creature you control to its owner's hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
6/1

Red Ninjutsu. This is a very nice take on Ninjutsu, which was not a widely used mechanic.

There is a typo in the reminder text (R instead of 2R), but it's clear what was meant.

Martyr's Sacrifice - WW
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchant Creature
When enchanted creature is put into a graveyard from play, each other player sacrifices a creature.

White forced creature sacrifice. A nice card for limited, but a little weak in constructed. Feels very white. Solid design.

Cursed Magic 3B
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant Artifact or Enchantment
Enchanted artifact or enchantment has "At the beginning of your upkeep, pay 2 life or sacrifice this permanent".
At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 2 life.

Black artifact or enchantment removal. While this is expensive, there is little else black can do about artifacts or enchantments. This is a very black way of dealing with them.

Repentant Servitude 3WW
Enchantment- Aura U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has defender.

White creature theft. While this is more expensive than equivalent blue effects, it could still see play. The second ability makes it stay in color.

Champion's Challenge 4WW
Enchantment R
At the beginning of each player’s combat step, for each opponent, that player chooses a creature they control and their opponent chooses a creature they control, then those creatures fight. If the player’s creature dies, they cannot attack this turn. If the opponent’s creature dies, they cannot block this turn.

White fight/blocking prevention. This seems a little too likely to result in only one player getting to participate in combat for the rest of the game. Could probably stand to cost 5.

3rd place: Hyposoc
2nd place: Blue Ghost
Winner: Dr.Gunsforhands

Beacon of Chaos
2014-06-09, 08:22 AM
Congrats to the winner!

TiaC
2014-06-09, 11:26 PM
Congrats to the winner!

I did think you had a nice card too. That sort of thing is always difficult to cost. You want it to be a little better than either option alone. 3B for either effect would see play though.

Eternis
2014-06-11, 04:09 AM
Quite honestly, Diego, given the unlikelihood of DGFH's card ever seeing play, I think yours deserved the win. That, and miso might not have remembered that the life gain ends when the card is sacrificed :P
(I say this also because you'd never see a card, 3B enchantment, atboyu you gain 2 life)

Beacon of Chaos
2014-06-11, 06:49 PM
Thank you both.

Has anyone PMed Dr. Gunsforhands to let him know he won?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-06-11, 10:58 PM
Whoa, I did? But there were so many good entries! I guess I should be proud!

This week, everyone make a card that does something three times!

Mystic Muse
2014-06-11, 11:59 PM
...Look at what you made me do.

The Bridge of Death (4)

Artifact R (Un-set symbol)

At the beginning of each of your opponents' combat steps, they must answer 3 questions you ask them correctly, or they cannot attack you this turn.

If another player asks you a question, and you fail or refuse to answer, sacrifice The Bridge of Death.

LOOK AT WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

I'm not trying to win, your criteria just made me immediately think this, so I had to. :smalltongue:

HypoSoc
2014-06-12, 12:40 AM
Tristorm 2R

Instant - U

If you cast ~ from your hand, you may instead exile. If you do, you may search your library for up to two copies of ~ and exile them. Place three time counters on each copy of ~ you control in exile. They gain suspend. Then shuffle your library.

~ deals three damage to target creature or player.

Lightning strikes thrice.

LaZodiac
2014-06-12, 12:52 AM
Ruinous Cerberus RRR
Creature - Hound (R)
Double Strike
When ~ attacks and isn't blocked, it deals damage equal to its power to defending player.
When ~ becomes blocked, it deals damage equal to it's power to target creature blocking it.
1/3

Saposhiente
2014-06-12, 01:20 AM
Firestorm 2RR
Sorcery C
Deal 2 damage to up to 3 target creatures.

Fortuna
2014-06-12, 01:33 AM
Unbounded Strength XGG
Sorcery - U
Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature.
Harbinger - When you draw this card, you may reveal it and pay 1G. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Flashback XGGG

Blue Ghost
2014-06-12, 01:43 AM
Ravenous Reaper 3BB
Creature - Zombie (U)
When Ravenous Reaper enters the battlefield or dies, target player sacrifices a creature.
Unearth 2B
One can never let down one's guard on Grixis, for the grave is never satisfied.
2/3

TiaC
2014-06-12, 02:53 AM
Forbidden Divinations 2UB
Sorcery - U
Target player sacrifices a creature and draws a card.

onasuma
2014-06-12, 04:46 AM
Impending Plague
Sorcery R
Non-existant mana costs cannot be paid
Suspend 3 - 2BB
Whenever you remove a time counter from ~ put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
Destroy all creatures with a -1/-1 counter on them.

Fortuna
2014-06-12, 05:11 AM
Impending Plague
Sorcery U
Non-existant mana costs cannot be paid
Suspend 3 - 2BB
Whenever you remove a time counter from ~ put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
Destroy all creatures with a -1/-1 counter on them.

I just want to say this is a beautifully elegant and evocative design, and damn cool into the bargain. This is a card I want to see printed, because it's a card I want to play with.