PDA

View Full Version : Revised Soulborn (3.5, PEACH)

Kane0
2013-08-13, 11:15 PM
Hey all, it's been a while since i posted some brew so i thought i'd give the Soulborn a try. Getting the short end of the stick amongst all of Incarnum's good material, it seemed a little unfair to leave him looking like the paladin does standing next to the cleric.

Taking heavily from Person_Man's fix here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119121), i came up with something pretty damned close. It has more or less the same abilities to fill in the dead levels but I tweaked the numbers around. All credit should go to Person_Man really.

Anyway, here it is.

Hit Dice: d10
Skills per Level: 4
Class Skills: As MoI, plus Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Know (Local)
Proficiencies: As MoI
Alignments: LG, CG, LE or CE

{table=head] Table 1: The Soulborn | Meldshaping
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st | +1 |+2 | +0 | +0 | Aura, Smite Opposition 1/Day
2nd | +2 |+3 | +0 | +0 | Read Chakra, Incarnum Defence
3rd | +3 |+3 | +1 | +1 | Bonus Feat
4th | +4 |+4 | +1 | +1 | Expanded Essentia Capacity +1
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Smite Opposition 2/Day
6th | +6/+1 |+5 | +2 | +2 | Chakra Binds (Crown, Feet, Hands)
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Bonus Feat
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +2 | Share Incarnum Defence
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +3 | Smite Opposition 3/Day
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Dispel Opposition
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Bonus Feat
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Chakra Binds (Arms, Brow, Shoulders)
13th | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Smite Opposition 4/Day
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +4 | Expanded Essentia Capacity +2
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +5 | +5 | Bonus Feat
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Timeless Body
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Smite Opposition 5/Day
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Chakra Binds (Throat, Waist)
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Bonus Feat
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +6 | Slay Opposition
[/table] | {table=head]Soulmelds|Essentia|Chakra Binds
0 | 0 | 0
0 | 1 | 0
1 | 2 | 0
1 | 3 | 0
1 | 3 | 0
2 | 4 | 1
2 | 5 | 1
2 | 6 | 1
3 | 6 | 1
3 | 7 | 1
3 | 8 | 2
4 | 9 | 2
4 | 9 | 2
4 | 10 | 2
5 | 11 | 2
5 | 12 | 3
5 | 12 | 3
6 | 13 | 3
6 | 14 | 3
6 | 15 | 3
[/table]
[/table]

Aura
You and all your Soulmelds radiate an aura of your alignments of strength equal to your level.

Smite Opposition
As MoI, which counts as Smite Good (or Smite Evil) for the purposes of qualifying for feats and/or Prestige Classes.

Incarnum Defense
As MoI

Read Chakra
At will as a swift action you can determine the alignment of a creature that you can see within 30' of you with a Spellcraft check (DC 10 + target's HD).
A result of 20 or above also reveals any and all shaped soulmelds and chakra binds present on the target.

Meldshaping
You gain meldshaping capabilities as shown on table 1: The Soulborn. Your Meldshaper level equals Soulborn level. You can shape any soulmeld except for Soulmelds that have alignment components that oppose your own.

Bonus Feat
You gain a fighter bonus feat that you qualify for, but can also select any feat that affects your smite opposition or meldshaping abilities.

Expanded Essentia Capacity
The maximum essentia you can invest in a feat or ability other than a Soulmeld is increased by 1 (and another +1 at level 14).

Share Incarnum Defense
All allies within 30' of you also gain the benefits of your Incarnum Defense.

Dispel Opposition
When you successfully smite a target you can choose to force them to make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Soulborn level + Cha mod) or have one soulmeld, spell, spell-like ability or other activated magical affect unshaped/dispelled/removed. The effect chosen is random unless the Soulborn knows and selects a specific effect (such as by using his Read Chakra ability or a spellcraft check)

Timeless body
As MoI

Slay Opposition
When you successfully smite a target you can choose to force them to make a Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 Soulborn level + Cha mod) or die. This is an instant death effect and occurs after the smite damage and Dispel attempt is resolved.

ACF: Soul Strengthened Health
At level 4 you gain immunity to all magical and non-magical diseases instead of a bonus feat.

ACF: Incarnum Infusion
At level 4 you gain your Cha bonus to all saves instead of the Expanded Essentia Capacity ability. This does not stack with other sources of Cha to saves, such as from the Paladin's Divine Grace or Hexblade's Arcane Resistance.

New Feats
I had a few in my head, ill put them up as soon as I remember them.

There we go. Nothing too drastic, but smiting should leave an impression. Meldshaping is more accessible and powerful now, and he shouldn't be so strained for feats when juggling between combat and shaping.

Cloud
2013-08-14, 02:57 AM
Well, certainly a lot better than the default Soulborn, and the improved meldshaping is similar to what I would have done, though I would consider giving the class very limited meldshaping from first level.

For what it's worth I went with 1 Soul Meld at 1st level, increasing to 2 at 4th level, and an extra 1 every 4 levels thereafter for 6 at 20th level. Essentia wise I gave them 1 from level 1, improved to 2 at 4th level, and by an extra 1 every level thereafter, or 18 at 20th level. Chakra Binds I gave them 1 at 4th level, improving to 2 at 9th level, 3 at 13th, and 4 at 17th level. (...I can't for the life of me remember why that was at 4th, not 5th, maybe that should be changed.)

That might be too much meldshaping, but it's still under the Incarnate and Totemist. Also I didn't add Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, so perhaps the lower numbers are better (but 15 essentia feels even smaller in that case).

Smiting feels very much like smiting now, which is good. I would have suggested making it per-encounter instead, but I kind of like having a few very impactful smites instead. On eligible targets though, have you considered improving it until it can target anyone not of your alignment (or at least letting it get true neutral targets) at higher levels?

You've improved the levels they get charka bindings, which is good, but I'd probably go a little further; Crown binding at 4th level, Feet and Hands at 6th level, Brow binding at 12th level, Throat and Waist at 16th level, and Soul binding at 19th level doesn't feel too wrong compared to what the incarnate is doing. (...And huh, that would be why the charka bind at 4th level.)

SiuiS
2013-08-14, 03:05 AM
You still aren't even a meld shaping class for the first two levels. I don't think anyone can really get over that; otherwise you've for literally nothing on the paladin.

Soul born should probably be a set of Paladin ACFs come to think of it.

Amnoriath
2013-08-14, 08:21 AM
Hey all, it's been a while since i posted some brew so i thought i'd give the Soulborn a try. Getting the short end of the stick amongst all of Incarnum's good material, it seemed a little unfair to leave him looking like the paladin does standing next to the cleric.

Taking heavily from Person_Man's fix here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119121), i came up with something pretty damned close. It has more or less the same abilities to fill in the dead levels but I tweaked the numbers around. All credit should go to Person_Man really.

Anyway, here it is.

Hit Dice: d10
Skills per Level: 4
Class Skills: As MoI, plus Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Know (Local)
Proficiencies: As MoI
Alignments: LG, CG, LE or CE

{table=head] Table 1: The Soulborn | Meldshaping
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st | +1 |+2 | +0 | +0 | Aura, Smite Opposition 1/Day
2nd | +2 |+3 | +0 | +0 | Read Chakra, Incarnum Defence
3rd | +3 |+3 | +1 | +1 | Bonus Feat
4th | +4 |+4 | +1 | +1 | Expanded Soulmeld Capacity +1
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Smite Opposition 2/Day
6th | +6/+1 |+5 | +2 | +2 | Chakra Binds (Crown, Feet, Hands)
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Bonus Feat
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +2 | Share Incarnum Defence
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +3 | Smite Opposition 3/Day
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Dispel Opposition
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Bonus Feat
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Chakra Binds (Arms, Brow, Shoulders)
13th | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Smite Opposition 4/Day
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +4 | Expanded Soulmeld Capacity +2
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +5 | +5 | Bonus Feat
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Timeless Body
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Smite Opposition 5/Day
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Chakra Binds (Throat, Waist)
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Bonus Feat
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +6 | Slay Opposition
[/table] | {table=head]Soulmelds|Essentia|Chakra Binds
0 | 0 | 0
0 | 1 | 0
1 | 2 | 0
1 | 3 | 0
1 | 3 | 0
2 | 4 | 1
2 | 5 | 1
2 | 6 | 1
3 | 6 | 1
3 | 7 | 1
3 | 8 | 2
4 | 9 | 2
4 | 9 | 2
4 | 10 | 2
5 | 11 | 2
5 | 12 | 3
5 | 12 | 3
6 | 13 | 3
6 | 14 | 3
6 | 15 | 3
[/table]
[/table]

Aura
You and all your Soulmelds radiate an aura of your alignments of strength equal to your level.

Smite Opposition
As MoI, which counts as Smite Good (or Smite Evil) for the purposes of qualifying for feats and/or Prestige Classes.

Incarnum Defense
As MoI

Read Chakra
At will as a swift action you can determine the alignment of a creature that you can see within 30' of you with a Spellcraft check (DC 10 + target's HD).
A result of 20 or above also reveals any and all shaped soulmelds and chakra binds present on the target.

Meldshaping
You gain meldshaping capabilities as shown on table 1: The Soulborn. Your Meldshaper level equals Soulborn level. You can shape any soulmeld except for Soulmelds that have alignment components that oppose your own.

Bonus Feat
You gain a fighter bonus feat that you qualify for, but can also select any feat that affects your smite opposition or meldshaping abilities.

Expanded Soulmeld Capacity
The maximum essentia you can invest in a soulmeld is increased by 1 (and another +1 at level 14). This does not work for feats or other abilities that allow you to invest essentia.

Share Incarnum Defense
All allies within 30' of you also gain the benefits of your Incarnum Defense.

Dispel Opposition
When you successfully smite a target you can choose to force them to make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Soulborn level + Cha mod) or have one soulmeld, spell, spell-like ability or other activated magical affect unshaped/dispelled/removed. The effect chosen is random unless the Soulborn knows and selects a specific effect (such as by using his Read Chakra ability or a spellcraft check)

Timeless body
As MoI

Slay Opposition
When you successfully smite a target you can choose to force them to make a Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 Soulborn level + Cha mod) or die. This is an instant death effect and occurs after the smite damage and Dispel attempt is resolved.

ACF: Soul Strengthened Health
At level 4 you gain immunity to all magical and non-magical diseases instead of a bonus feat.

ACF: Incarnum Infusion
At level 4 you gain your Cha bonus to all saves instead of the Expanded Soulmeld Capacity ability. This does not stack with other sources of Cha to saves, such as from the Paladin's Divine Grace or Hexblade's Arcane Resistance.

New Feats
I had a few in my head, ill put them up as soon as I remember them.

There we go. Nothing too drastic, but smiting should leave an impression. Meldshaping is more accessible and powerful now, and he shouldn't be so strained for feats when juggling between combat and shaping.

I guess the question is do you want to make your own Soulborn?

Kane0
2013-08-14, 05:36 PM
-Snip-
Cheers. Waiting to level 3 for a soulmeld isnt as horrible as waiting to level 4 for a level 1 spell would be for other classes. I didn't want to change him too drastically, just give him more room to breathe like the paladin got with his splat support. And Incarnum is a wonderfully flexible system anyway so giving him a little bit extra should allow him to compete a bit better. I'm not sure about giving him more chakra binds, he already gets 8/10 (or 11) as is.

You still aren't even a meld shaping class for the first two levels. I don't think anyone can really get over that; otherwise you've for literally nothing on the paladin.

Soul born should probably be a set of Paladin ACFs come to think of it.
The first two levels are really where your Hit Dice, BAB and proficiencies really matter, plus chances are you have an incarnum feat or two to start with and/or are starting with an incarnum race, which means you can be starting off with essentia and places to use it.
I don't really want the soulborn to remove the Paladin from play any more than the crusader already has, breaking them sort of even is plenty enough for me.

Good point. Replacing Lay on hands, Turn undead and spellcasting with meldshaping and chakra binds would work equally well.

I guess the question is do you want to make your own Soulborn?
I have. The only unique things I took straight from Person_Man are Read Chakra, Dispel Opposition and Slay Opposition, and I credited him accordingly. The rest is changed from MoI or otherwise already existed in the class. There's only so much I can do without changing the class entirely, this is a fix after all.

Amnoriath
2013-08-14, 06:05 PM
I have. The only unique things I took straight from Person_Man are Read Chakra, Dispel Opposition and Slay Opposition, and I credited him accordingly. The rest is changed from MoI or otherwise already existed in the class. There's only so much I can do without changing the class entirely, this is a fix after all.

Except they have become the star features aside from what Magic of Incarnum already made. I am not saying you haven't credited him nor that you copied it word for word but it isn't really different.