PDA

View Full Version : Misdirection - 2nd level spell

Stitches
2013-08-13, 11:30 PM
Can misdirection mask the aura of an evil artifact? Let's say, like the Book of Vile Darkness?

SolioFebalas
2013-08-14, 01:45 AM
I'd say no. Artifacts are extremely powerful items, and have Overwhelming auras.

Mr. Mason
2013-08-14, 01:54 AM
The way the rules are written, yes. I would actually side against them on this, and make it depend on how powerful your character is. A low-level caster might only cause a roll of a percentage dice, (one of those infamous, High it succeeds, low it fails, situations) while a mid to high level character might be capable of fully masking the aura.

If your just trying to disguise the aura, maybe place it in a basket of kittens in a nursery run by virgin unicorns who sing songs about rainbows -- something like that ought to cover up the stench of Evil. (I'm being serious, maybe cast misdirection on the container it's in to help disguise it.)

I hope this helps!

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-14, 02:35 AM
Yes it can, but a better and more economical way to mask the aura of an evil artifact is to get a lead lined pocket/bag/tarp whatever is appropriate for the size. This block all forms of detecting an objects aura that I am aware of. specifically detect spells and the scrying subschool are blocked by lead. It only costs 10 gold to get a lead lining on a hidden space according to complete scoundrel.

Edit: Also, I think the spell should be able to cover artifacts as the spell doesn't alter auras it messes with spells that detect them.