PDA

View Full Version : Swordmage Build Question

Dan Arcueid
2013-08-13, 11:45 PM
I'm trying to put together a Swordmage for a new campaign. I'm wanting to build the character for a higher DPR output for a swordmage. I'm aware the class is a defender so making it a striker isn't going to happen but i'm looking to optimize its damage output.

I'm mostly set on playing a swordmage as i have interesting character idea with the Misshapen Theme to take advantage of that unused arm (obviously when grappling something with it my aegis would be weakened by a few points).

Otherwise the rest of the build I'm pretty much completely open on how to work it including race, hybrid, and multiclass options.

Outside of going with 2h swords i guess I'm not seeing how to optimize the damage output.

Zaq
2013-08-14, 12:07 AM
Swordmages do have a couple double-tap powers (Lightning Clash and Seed of Fire, and maybe others I don't remember right now). Since multiattacks are the One True Path to high damage in 4e, those are a pretty good place to start.

A bigger sword won't make a bit of difference, really. Die size matters very little in 4e. Damage comes from having high static modifiers (and/or from triggering vulnerabilities), and then from applying those high modifiers as many times as you can. You can use a big weapon if you really want to, but honestly, even a damage-focused Swordmage is going to be better off with a longsword.

Being an eladrin for Eladrin Swordmage Advance seems like an obvious choice. An extra attack per encounter is a great way to increase your damage output. If you do go eladrin, you qualify for Sarifal Feywarden, which is one of the easiest ways of putting vulnerabilities on the field for you to abuse (though you'll probably want to try to focus on one element if you do so . . . but that's a good idea anyway, because 4e rewards specialization).

Your multiclass will also be a good way to increase damage . . . Battle Awareness (MC Fighter) can give you a reliable extra MBA per encounter if you have the stats for it, though watch out that you don't end up with too many immediate action triggers. MCing Bard and power-swapping for Dimensional Step might not be a bad way of adding some extra oomph to your MBA, which you'll use either as part of ESA or as part of Aegis of Assault (or in response to your leader granting you an attack).

Sword of Assault isn't a great PP for defending, but it's a pretty good PP for striking. An extra minor action attack per encounter is excellent stuff.

If you want to hybrid, there's a ton of good options (Swordmages hybrid exceptionally well), though Swordmage|Warlock is probably the strongest.

Firebug
2013-08-14, 12:09 AM
Typically to increase damage without focusing on class specific content you need to gain additional non-standard action attacks or focus on a specific damage type and vulnerability.

That all being said, I would suggest Frost damage (weapon or whetstones, Lasting Frost) or Fire damage (and Tiefling/Genasi support), and pick up multi-attack powers like Lightning Clash or off action powers (which the swordmage has a decent amount of).

Eladrin with Eladrin Swordmage Advance is also useful, as is an actual damage oriented Theme. Sohei, Sarifal Feywarden or a theme that gives you something gear-wise: Unseelie Agent, Masked Lord, Noble, etc.

edit: Ninjaed!

masteraleph
2013-08-14, 12:17 AM
What level? There are a couple of things you can pick up in Paragon that have the potential to add significant damage:

1) Malec-Keth Janissary Paragon Path, but only at level 16. At level 16, you choose a damage type and add 1d4 extra damage of that type to all your powers. That means your powers now do that damage type, and you can find ways to boost those damage types.

2) Be a Genasi, either Firesoul or Stormsoul. At level 11, take the Shocking Flame feat, which adds 2 damage of the appropriate type (which again allows you to find ways to boost that damage). If you're doing Lightning damage, the Gifts for the Queen set can add extra damage when you hit. If Fire, grab a Firewind Blade as your weapon. In Epic you can have the feats Extra Manifestation and Dual Manifestation, do manifest both and get benefits from both.

Edited (forgot an additional piece):

I forgot that there's an Int/Con Swordmage build. That being the case, see number 2 above, with lightning but go with Lyrandar Wind Rider as your PP (requires Mark of Storm, so it's illegal in LFR). Since all of your attacks will deal the 2 lightning damage and are now lightning attacks, they also now all slide 1 (from Mark of Storm), are +1 to hit, and you add CON modifier (should be 5 by level 11 and 6 by 14) to damage as well. The rest of the PP isn't so hot, though.

Dan Arcueid
2013-08-14, 02:37 PM
What level?

Sorry, its not 100% certain yet, the DM is deciding between either 3 or 5 for the starting level. Not very high so at this point i'm basically trying to get a character pointed in the right direction.

If you want to hybrid, there's a ton of good options (Swordmages hybrid exceptionally well), though Swordmage|Warlock is probably the strongest.

Alright, i attempted to build a warlock/swordmage once and i remember giving up on the idea because I was trying to approach the hybrid wrong.

Here's something i have so far, i guess any sort of help on possible improvements.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Test, level 1
Human, Swordmage/Warlock
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid) Option: Aegis of Assault
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Hybrid Talent Option: Swordmage Warding
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Theme: Misshapen

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 17, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 8, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 17, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 10

AC: 19 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 12
HP: 30 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Athletics +5, History +9, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering –1, Endurance +3, Heal –1, Insight –1, Intimidate +0, Nature –1, Perception –1, Stealth +0, Streetwise +0, Thievery +0

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Misshapen Attack: Grasping Limb
Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Assault
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Swordmage Attack 1: Sword Burst
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Swordmage Attack 1: Booming Blade
Swordmage Attack 1: Chilling Blow
Warlock Attack 1: Flames of Phlegethos

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 1: White Lotus Riposte

ITEMS
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Longsword x1
====== End ======

I went human so i had an extra talent to burn on the hybrid talent swordmage warding.

Otherwise i have the following non hybrid also

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Test, level 1
Human, Swordmage
Build: Assault Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis Option: Aegis of Assault
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Theme: Misshapen

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 17, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 10, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 17, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 8

AC: 19 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 13
HP: 32 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Athletics +5, Endurance +8, History +9, Insight +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Bluff –1, Diplomacy –1, Dungeoneering +0, Heal +0, Intimidate –1, Nature +0, Perception +0, Religion +4, Stealth +0, Streetwise –1, Thievery +0

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Misshapen Attack: Grasping Limb
Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Assault
Swordmage Attack 1: Frostwind Blade
Swordmage Attack 1: Sword Burst
Swordmage Attack 1: Booming Blade
Swordmage Attack 1: Chilling Blow
Swordmage Attack 1: Vanishing Blade

FEATS
Level 1: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 1: White Lotus Riposte

ITEMS
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Longsword x1
====== End ======

I went human with this one again just so i could have intelligent blademaster. The next best idea i had was potentially going half elf to get the warlock MBA again.

I kept both at level 1 for now just to see if the base is correct. I didn't chose a background yet because nothing seemed to be drastically build changing like auspicious birth. would be, which this wouldn't need having a high CON stat.

Side question, are there any good melee focused hybrids that could work, like a STR/INT swordmage possibly hybrid with something? just trying to look at all options.

tcrudisi
2013-08-14, 04:28 PM
If you have a high Con, I'm a fan of either Akanul for the 3 resistances or something like one of the ones that gives +init. A +arcana is also a fine choice.

masteraleph
2013-08-14, 05:47 PM
Agreed with tcrudisi on the backgrounds issue- Akanul, or something that gives initiative bonuses or Arcana bonuses (then make sure to keep an eye out for ways to use Arcana for other purposes, like substituting it for Bluff/Diplomacy/etc.). For RP purposes, one of the ones that grants an extra language could be useful. With other classes (not in your case, since Swordmage already has it), Gritty Sergeant/Noble Bred for War are good for the proficiency, but you don't need it.

Dan Arcueid
2013-08-14, 06:50 PM
If you have a high Con, I'm a fan of either Akanul for the 3 resistances or something like one of the ones that gives +init. A +arcana is also a fine choice.

I forgot about that background, i guess that at least takes care of that issue. I was almost contemplating settling for wandering mercenary or the such for the extra death saving throw just because i couldn't find something else that looked interesting. This probably going to be more useful in keeping me from needing that in the right situations.

Tegu8788
2013-08-14, 09:31 PM
Your hybrid looks solid to my eye. I'd pick a race that boosts Con and Int, because that's always useful. If possible, I'd also pick Sorcerer-King over Infernal, because of Mindbite Scorn, giving you an extra 1d6 psychic curse damage. If you get to level 11, Two-Fold Pact will give you all of Infernal.

Simple attack plan, is mark/curse one guy then charge someone else. When mark is violated, teleport back and ES them with your boosted curse, then move off, curse again, and charge, using that mark as a way to sneak in extra attacks.

ghost_warlock
2013-08-15, 11:57 PM
If you do end up going with hybrid Swordmage|Warlock you may want to look at the level 10 utility Ethereal Sidestep for at-will teleportation. With a few items it's not hard at all to get a respectable distance out of the power. Mark of Passage is another great way to increase teleport distances, if available, but a Mark of Storm build will deal more damage.

I'm playing around with the idea of a warfoged swordmage|warlock with a build similar to this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/24025661/Darth_Vader,__SwordmageDefenderlock?pg=1) (listed as the warforged variant) for a future game. The default build here is human which I think you'll definitely find worth taking a look at.