PDA

View Full Version : Fighter ACFs

Hytheter
2013-08-13, 11:49 PM
So I've been looking at some of the Fighter's Alternate class features and I have some questions...

Firstly, the Zhentarim Fighter - does it actually have any downsides? Aside from needing to be a member of the Zhentarim it doesn't seem to have an prerequisites or replace any of your class "features", only adding an extra feat, extra class skills and some interesting intimidation abilities. Is there any reason not to play this whenever possible?

Secondly, are there restrictions on combining ACFs? For example, could I be a Zhentarim Thug Fighter? Or even a Zhentarim Thug Dungeon Crasher?

And on that note, just how good is the Dungeon Crasher variant? I've heard it said that, at early levels, it pushes the Fighter up a tier, but most of the benefits strike me as kind of situational and not necessarily useful.

Lateral
2013-08-13, 11:53 PM
Firstly, the Zhentarim Fighter - does it actually have any downsides? Aside from needing to be a member of the Zhentarim it doesn't seem to have an prerequisites or replace any of your class "features", only adding an extra feat, extra class skills and some interesting intimidation abilities. Is there any reason not to play this whenever possible?
Aside from the Zhentarim being an evil organization? No. Of course, standard fighters suck, so I don't care.

Secondly, are there restrictions on combining ACFs? For example, could I be a Zhentarim Thug Fighter? Or even a Zhentarim Thug Dungeon Crasher?
Zhentarim and Dungeon Crasher are compatible, yes. Whether Thug can be combined with the other two is debatable, since it's technically a variant class rather than an alternate class feature.

And on that note, just how good is the Dungeon Crasher variant? I've heard it said that, at early levels, it pushes the Fighter up a tier, but most of the benefits strike me as kind of situational and not necessarily useful.
All you need is to push things into other things. Things are everywhere, so it's not really that situational, and it does a lot of damage. Besides, you're supposed to use it with Knockback.

jaybird
2013-08-13, 11:57 PM

Any race with a fly speed taking Dungeoncrasher, enemies say happy birthday to the ground.

Big Fau
2013-08-14, 07:33 PM
Any race with a fly speed taking Dungeoncrasher, enemies say happy birthday to the ground.

I believe Dungeoncrasher actually has a clause that prevents that.

Nettlekid
2013-08-14, 07:42 PM
Where's the Zhentarim Fighter ACF listed?

eggynack
2013-08-14, 07:48 PM
Where's the Zhentarim Fighter ACF listed?
It's in the Champions of Valor web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a). Specifically, it's under the download link thereabouts.

Vaz
2013-08-14, 07:48 PM
Zhentarim is a) Setting Specific, b) limited to a specific sect of Individuals with a goal that is not typically shared by that of a standard party, c) usually Evil aligned.

It's in Champions of Evil, from the Forgotten Realms, IIRC.
See above.

Verditude
2013-08-14, 09:26 PM
I believe Dungeoncrasher actually has a clause that prevents that.

There's nothing in my copy of Dungeonscape to that effect.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-14, 10:03 PM
Getting Knockback isn't that easy, it basically forces you to take on LA and some sort of splatbook race (Goliath or Half-Giant) or template (Half-Ogre, for actual large size), it could easily not be an option in most games. It sure isn't IME.

Zhentarim and Dungeoncrasher do stack though, and are awesome. You can further stack those two with the "Hit and Run" Fighter from Drow of the Underdark, which would be my preferred Fighter combo - Zhent/D-C/HaR Fighter. With Knockback and Imperious Command feats, and if a dip for sneak attack damage is possible... Craven and Staggering Strike feats, too.

EDIT: Also, the easiest way to make Dungeoncrasher work is a wand (in a wand chamber in your weapon) of the Blockade spell from C.Scoundrel. It's a SWIFT action 1st level spell that creates a heavy 5 ft solid cube of wood. Or just have a caster ally use it for you. Instant wall anywhere you go!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-14, 10:23 PM
Zhentarim Soldier can easily be reflavored to a setting-neutral bully archetype, which are omnipresent and not even restricted to evil/sinister organizations. It's true that it costs you nothing.

There are even more free class features (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a) for just about every class with one or more dead levels.

Dungeoncrasher + Knockback is amazing. Failing that, get Brutal Surge (MIC) on your weapon. If you want to involve spells/wands, Melf's Unicorn Arrow (PH2) is extremely useful for enabling Dungeoncrasher. That doesn't state that the direction of the attack and resulting bull rush has to be from the caster's location, so it too can drive them into the ground.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-14, 10:52 PM
Considering that WotC considers a level where you gain spell slots but not "other stuff" to be a "dead level," it's in the martials' best interests for a DM to never even see that link. It may be like dumping a pale of water onto a sinking ship, but even so...anything that further widens the class imbalance should be avoided when doing so is as simple as...ignoring some web article.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-14, 10:52 PM
Honestly, you don't need Knockback to make Dungeoncrasher work: you just need mobility. I put it on a Feat Rogue once and took a lot of mobility feats and equipment. It got to the point where I could make 180' turns mid-charge and could do so over difficult terrain before shoving someone back 15' into a wall for massive damage. And this was on a Feat Rogue base, so I didn't even have full BAB.

PS: you get a bonus for bull-rush when you charge. Most people forget about that.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-14, 10:56 PM
You need Knockback to actually do decent damage; the dungeoncrasher damage alone on a single attack (bull rush is a standard or charge) just doesn't cut it. On that note, Knockback also lets you full attack with bull rushes.

And you need Knockback to reliably win the bull rush. +2 for charging isn't enough. Knockback, in fact, would turn the +2 to hit for charging into a +4, and let you add up even more if you want via Power Attack. I played a Knockback character (Goliath Barbarian / Feat Rogue) twinked for bull rushing; a lot of monsters are pretty big and strong, the success rate would've been abysmal without knockback.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-14, 11:11 PM
Having actually played it, no, it's really not that hard.

Kit your equipment correctly (helm of battle and similar), take Improved Bull Rush for a +4, charge, take a level in a martial initiator class or spend a feat on Martial Study to get Charging Minotaur...

You know what?

Here.

http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=4521

Started at ECL 4, went up to ECL 10. Laid waste to many things. My DM told me she hated me (possibly due to the character, possibly due to the fact that she's my wife and I hadn't done the dishes that day, it's hard to tell).

Vaz
2013-08-15, 06:09 AM
If your DM allows Dragon Magazine Material, have a look at Half-Cobalt Dragons (requires Maximise Breath and Breath Weapon Feats). This essentially gives you Bullrush check of 48 (doing 48+Dungeoncrasher Damage). LA Buy-off is recommended, however.