PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Chivalric Barbarian? What manner of sorcery is this?

ArqArturo
2013-08-14, 12:15 AM
For my Pathfinder game, I've decided to make an npc for my characters to interact. The guy is from an order of knights that fight undead, but here's a few pointers on how he interacts:

1.- He feels words are 'the weapons of cowards and wealkings' so he rarely talks, and relies on either expressions, pointing, and doing things and says very little. But, he's not arrogant, and actually cares about others and treats people nicely. He just doesn't talk... Much (his fellow knights have dubbed him 'Jared The Philosopher', or 'Ser Jared the Bard' as a bit of a joke).

2.- He comes from a barbarian tribe that all follow rule 1

3.- He likes his armor heavy, his mount sturdy, and his weapons big.

Now, the npc will tag along the players, and he'll be a few levels below, but he will act as a secondary tank, and as I look through the orders/archetypes, I'm guessing the Order of the Sword, plus Beast Rider as his Archetype would go well from his Cavalier nature, and from the barbarian side, Armored Hulk.

The level would be Cavalier 4/Barbarian 2. Would this build work well?.

Hytheter
2013-08-14, 12:46 AM
The level would be Cavalier 4/Barbarian 2. Would this build work well?.

Unless there's another Cavalier class I don't know about, Cavalier is a prestige class with some hefty pre-requisites, so I don't think this build is strictly legal...

ArqArturo
2013-08-14, 12:59 AM
Unless there's another Cavalier class I don't know about, Cavalier is a prestige class with some hefty pre-requisites, so I don't think this build is strictly legal...

Well, it's the Cavalier class (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/baseClasses/cavalier.html) from Pathfinder.

Hytheter
2013-08-14, 01:05 AM
Oh right, I didn't notice this was a PF thread. oopsie

Coidzor
2013-08-14, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure how well he'll work out as a secondary tank, but the character concept seems workable. I'd caution against overplaying his taciturn nature or the grunting aspect, lest you risk flanderization.

ArqArturo
2013-08-14, 02:05 AM
Yup, I don't plan to play the 'solemn and silent thing' much. I've already had my share of caricature characters :smallbiggrin:.

grarrrg
2013-08-14, 05:50 PM
Random order:
Beast Rider may be better from a flavor standpoint, but it loses out on Expert Trainer, which would qualify you for the oh-so-awesome Horse Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/horse-master-combat) feat.

Order of the Shield (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/orders/paizo---cavalier-orders/order-of-the-shield) would also be a solid choice. When wearing Heavy Armor you 'convert 1 point of damage into nonlethal damage'. Given how nonlethal damage is healed, this can essentially be DR 1/- that stacks with everything ever.
Course, a +2 bonus to the save of your choice is nice too, but does NOT stack with the Raging bonus to Will Saves (both are Morale). So depending on your WIS score, and how often you'll be Raging...

You may want to skip Armored Hulk if you plan on having him be Mounted most of the time. It has Flavor, but half the bonuses are wasted if he's mounted, and you'll already have Heavy Armor prof. from Cavalier.