PDA

View Full Version : P.F How to be a Paladin in a party with chaotic neutral people.

Drake2009
2013-08-14, 12:26 AM
Ok so im going to be playing a pathfinder paladin in a group with a chaotic neutral bard going into the mask master and chaotic neutral ranger who will steal and be completely insane.... How do i punish them without falling cause my dm is really strict on paladin code. Good thing is that im super tall so if they just try to steal i can lift up the item they are trying to steal out of their reach or just pick them up and move them... Did i mention i have a strength of 24? at level 1.... im going to kick down doors litteraly! Im a large half-celestial who will pwn everything evil in its path that doesnt stand down. Im just worried about mr. steal and mr. brawl. The bard mask master will make some small trouble but ive played with him before the ranger is who im scared of cause shes really good at twisting the rules to her advantage.

Divide by Zero
2013-08-14, 12:29 AM
Sounds to me like those players might not understand the difference between Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Evil. It also sounds like this is probably an OOC issue - if the characters in the party can't realistically work together, then maybe somebody should play a different character.

Drake2009
2013-08-14, 12:43 AM
nah were all having fun im just trying to figure out how to make them stay a little in line cause otherwise my character is probobly doomed plus i made my guy first and had the idea first

Corlindale
2013-08-14, 12:47 AM
I recently played a paladin in a party with a chaotic neutral sorceror (with increasingly evil tendencies). I solved it by roleplaying my paladin as rather gullible and far too trusting (low wisdom). He was so convinved that his young sorceror friend was a true hero - like the rest of the party - that he made up explanations for many of the things that seemed iffy.

Of course, for this to Work it also requires some effort on the part of the other characters - they shouldn't be blatantly obvious in with their stealing and other crimes, but perhaps save it for when the paladin is otherwise occupied. So either way you have to discuss it with the other players OOC to make it work well.

Drake2009
2013-08-14, 12:49 AM
I recently played a paladin in a party with a chaotic neutral sorceror (with increasingly evil tendencies). I solved it by roleplaying my paladin as rather gullible and far too trusting (low wisdom). He was so convinved that his young sorceror friend was a true hero - like the rest of the party - that he made up explanations for many of the things that seemed iffy.

Of course, for this to Work it also requires some effort on the part of the other characters - they shouldn't be blatantly obvious in with their stealing and other crimes, but perhaps save it for when the paladin is otherwise occupied. So either way you have to discuss it with the other players OOC to make it work well.
good idea but my guy has only one weakness basicly he has a 10 dex the others are really high

Mr. Mason
2013-08-14, 02:04 AM
Well, his core belief system could include the idea that most people are inherently good... but that seems a larger stretch considering his high Int and Wis scores.

However, mayhaps this is a test from your patron to see if you can live with temptation with succumbing to its melodious song.

Or maybe your patron is trying to recruit them; instead of smiting them to oblivion and condemning them to hell, give a lesson in what your patron supports instead. You could make it funny with a spray bottle and rolled up newspaper. (or scroll) "Bad boy! *Spritz* You know better than that! *Whack* _______ suggest that when we are tempted to ______ we should _______ instead." You could also reward good deeds with a cookie.

Actually, you could ignore negative reinforcement completely, and just focus on modifying their behaviors with chocolate. (a la Dr. Sheldon Cooper)

I hope this helps!

The honest illusionist
2013-08-14, 02:07 AM
You're a paladin, not a babysitter. Instead of punishing your teammates, you should lead by example. Need an item? Ask to trade a service for it. Someone wants to fight you in a pub? Diplomacy/intimidate, you've seen a lot of bloodshed, there's no need for more. Your teammates might steal and cheat when you'd rather they didn't, but you play honourably.

"Additionally, a paladin's code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.

Associates: While she may adventure with good or neutral allies, a paladin avoids working with evil characters or with anyone who consistently offends her moral code. Under exceptional circumstances, a paladin can ally with evil associates, but only to defeat what she believes to be a greater evil. A paladin should seek an atonement spell periodically during such an unusual alliance, and should end the alliance immediately should she feel it is doing more harm than good. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good."

Remember, your Paladin's Code is not the same as your moral code, and it's not a requirement to be lawful good, it's an exemplary code of conduct that sets you apart as an honourable champion. In PF, you can even ally with evil doers if you're doing more good than harm. If you think things are heading south, talk to your teammates about your need to do more good.

facelessminion
2013-08-14, 04:01 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/half-orc/redeemer-paladin-half-orc

Here is a class alt that can give you a bit more of an edge in your ability to deal with and cope with your fellow players. Ask your DM, perhaps, if you can take this regardless of being a half-orc or not.

Segev
2013-08-14, 08:29 AM
I suggest the "lead by example" option, combined with an insistence on making a point to go back and right any wrongs your associates do. They stole something? Go back and pay for it (if it wasn't "stealing" the evil artifact from the grand high priest of evil doom, of course). They should know ahead of time that, if they break the law, you will not stand in their defense - and will even turn them in - if you find out about it. They lie or cheat? You'll out them (unless there's greater good to be achieved by not doing so), and you, yourself, will find ways to avoid doing either to prove your way is better.

Do your best to be such an honorable figure that even your foes respect you and your word, and work it out with the DM such that this occasionally is relevant. If you give your word that you will honor terms of surrender when foes surrender to you, they may willingly become prisoners and save your party resources otherwise spent subduing said foes. These foes would NEVER have trusted your allies' word. (You will, of course, have to prove capable of controlling your allies such that they don't break your given word of safety.)

If they're of the "justify my actions" mindset, listen carefully to their justifications for how they behave. Treat it like a code of honor by which they adhere, and a "law" within the party, and use it against them in a few irritating ways. Do so carefully and deliberately, as an object lesson in why the ends do not justify the means. Do so while otherwise acting with perfect paladinal honor towards everyone else, so they are forced to recognize that others make out better with you and that you make out better with others.

If they don't want to reform, your goal is to at least get them to avoid doing things you'll know about. You want them to like and respect your character enough that, even if they don't want to be "better people," they at least don't want to offend your sensibilities and will "protect" you from knowing about their less honorable activities. Be Buffy to their Giles, if needs be. But work to make them Giles, not the Ripper.