PDA

View Full Version : Custom Prestige Class - Blade of Brightaxe

ramrod
2013-08-14, 04:14 AM
Below is an updated version of Blade of Brightaxe. It is a prestige class home brewed for the campaign I am currently playing.

My DM kindly allowed me to do this in response to the lack of decent prestige classes that both befitted my play style whilst simultaneously allowing me to maintain my healing/casting commitments to the party.

The class is simply the ordained champion with bab switched for full casting and both spontaneous class abilities traded for some mediocre but more useful skills.

I am looking for replacement abilities for the two level 5 ones though, something more befitting the peak abilities of a prestige and also fitting in with the (rather cool) fluff that I have researched for the class.

Both my DM and I love the fluff :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nV0v8YSX74gdoL5iEdtATjhSvWC5_uIE6KOJE5I-hbg/edit

Zombimode
2013-08-14, 04:33 AM
Well, from what I see, this is just flat-out better than Ordained Champion (that already is a good PRC). Significantly better in fact, as Ordained Champ is a 3/5 casting class, while this is advances casting every level.

If your DM is ok with it, more power to you (literally). But this is a good example for why many DMs don't allow homebrew (other then their own): its all upside and no downside from some existing material.

Also:

Holy Warrior (from Ordained Champion) (Sp): At 5th level, you can spend one daily use of your turn/rebuke undead ability as a swift action to bring your Wisdom into play in combat. For 5 rounds after you activate this ability, you can use your Wisdom modifier in addition to your Strength modifier on attack rolls and damage rolls.

The original ability lets you replace your Str mod with your Wis mod, while this ability just adds them together. Is this change intentional?

ramrod
2013-08-14, 05:26 AM
The BAB and spell progression of the Ordained Champion has just been switched around, it continues as a medium BAB progression instead of the OCs full, in favor of full spell caster levels.

ramrod
2013-08-14, 05:27 AM
The original ability lets you replace your Str mod with your Wis mod, while this ability just adds them together. Is this change intentional?

This is a typo and has been rectified.

ramrod
2013-08-14, 09:58 AM
Ok, it has been updated to rectify the error on the level 5 ability and medium bab progression.

Just looking for 2 abilities to replace the rather shoddy level 5 skills/abilities (even more so that wisdom does not stack with strength! :smallconfused:).

The whole sheet can be seen at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nV0v8YSX74gdoL5iEdtATjhSvWC5_uIE6KOJE5I-hbg/edit

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-14, 01:01 PM
Ok, it has been updated to rectify the error on the level 5 ability and medium bab progression.

Just looking for 2 abilities to replace the rather shoddy level 5 skills/abilities (even more so that wisdom does not stack with strength! :smallconfused:).

The whole sheet can be seen at:

I'm not at all convinced that they need to be changed - by giving full casting, you've given no reason at all for a cleric not to take this. They all get Divine Power anyways, so it could be a poor BAB for all they care.

If you're intending cleric entry to this thing, it's way better than Vanilla Ordained Champion.

ramrod
2013-08-14, 06:23 PM
It is designed to be better (for my situation) that ordained champion, I would hardly make it worse. However, it is a compromise of situation. I would personally prefer that there be another healer in the party an I take straight ordained champion... Quick cast spontaneous flamestrikes? Yes please...

It is not significantly better anyway, I have simply traded 2 powerful abilities (in the right circumstance) for greater weapon focus and potentially an extra 4-5 damage on a weapon swing, neither of which make a huge difference when I'm already a strength 25 greatsword, power attacking maniac.

it does also come with a slight drawback that I had to make the bonus domain dwarf (have you seen how crappy it is?).

It seems like a lot but it really is just the ordained champion leaning more towards casting. By the way, please see the updated version I posted later on for the bab fix before you flame me :P

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-14, 06:52 PM
It is designed to be better (for my situation) that ordained champion, I would hardly make it worse. However, it is a compromise of situation. I would personally prefer that there be another healer in the party an I take straight ordained champion... Quick cast spontaneous flamestrikes? Yes please...

It is not significantly better anyway, I have simply traded 2 powerful abilities (in the right circumstance) for greater weapon focus and potentially an extra 4-5 damage on a weapon swing, neither of which make a huge difference when I'm already a strength 25 greatsword, power attacking maniac.

it does also come with a slight drawback that I had to make the bonus domain dwarf (have you seen how crappy it is?).

It seems like a lot but it really is just the ordained champion leaning more towards casting. By the way, please see the updated version I posted later on for the bab fix before you flame me :P

...I sincerely hope that you're kidding about the flaming. that... wasn't anything close.

Divine Blade of Haela and the modifed Holy Warrior feat (perhaps a different name for it, like Dwarven Spirit?) aren't problems - they're little abilities that are pretty fair trades (perhaps even a bad trade).

I still feel as if "losing" 2 points of BAB in favour of two additional caster levels is a rather large difference in power, especially as you're already probably using (persisted?) divine power.

And no, the dwarf domain does not "make up for it". It's a bonus domain - meaning you still have your other 2 starting domains, and if you really needed another, better domain (which she doesn't really have, according to my SpC, assuming that you started with Luck/War), then Contemplative is an easy, easy 11th level dip.

And it's really not terrible at all - Dictum (actually useless for you, amusingly enough) is good, and fabricate, GMW and protection from spells are actually pretty good.

You wanted my (honest) opinion, and I gave it. The improved caster level more than makes up for the "lameness" of the capstone features, I feel.

ramrod
2013-08-15, 02:43 AM
No, the flame comment was aimed at others, didnt want them reading the old version and then cutting to me saying that it was fine lol.

Well bab for caster levels is exactly what my DM was happy with. I don't see the real issue there are plenty of classes with medium bab and spell levels with plenty of abilities.

A custom prestige class is always going to have the appearance of too much, which is why I stuck so close to the oc template. Hell, I could have done what my DM set me out to do, bab for caster level and then just changed the spontaneous casting abilities so they stacked with spontaneous healing lol.

You got my character wrong though :) I'm not a persist cleric at all, hate the idea. I'm not optimised at all, all my feats are fighter based and I have bum charisma. But he is fun to play lol