PDA

View Full Version : Roy Has Boobies!!! [Spell]

Kesnit
2006-12-16, 01:18 PM
I got this idea from a comment in the #390 discussion thread.

CATCH PHRASE
Level: Brd 2
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Short
Effect: Stunning (see text)
Duration: 1 + CHA modifier rounds (see text)
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Material Component: A pinch of sneezing powder

The verbal component of this spell is a "catch phrase" chosen by the caster at the time of casting. (The same phrase can be use repeatedly, if desired.)

All creatures within 10' + 5'/5HD who are hostile to the casterhear the phrase, spoken in a deep booming voice, in a language they understand. (Creatures without verbal language are immune.) All creatures hearing the voice must make a Will save (DC 12 + caster's CHA modifier) or be stunned for 1 + caster's CHA modifier rounds.

Skydiving_Ninja
2006-12-16, 10:17 PM
Why on earth would a bard need a pinch of sneezing powder to say "how appropriate you fight like a dairy farmer?"

mikeejimbo
2006-12-16, 11:35 PM
You signature is a perfect example of a verbal component of this spell.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-12-16, 11:40 PM
Why on earth would a bard need a pinch of sneezing powder to say "how appropriate you fight like a dairy farmer?"

Why do you need licorice root to cast Haste?

fangthane
2006-12-17, 12:11 AM
It being a level 2 spell, the will DC should be 12+cha modifier as a base; even spells which modify the DC typically only apply a +2 at most, and this seems powerful enough to omit that.

Range needs to be listed as long (400' + 40/level), Medium (100' + 10/level) or Short (25' + 5/2 levels). What you've listed for range is its area of effect. (Unless it's meant to just be centered on the caster, which changes some things)

The area seems a bit large too; perhaps make it one target increasing at 7, 10, 13 and 16. Otherwise it's awfully powerful (potentially) at relatively low levels to stun multiple creatures for 3-6 rounds (much more, and more likely for bards with 18-20 charisma)

mikeejimbo
2006-12-17, 12:35 AM
Well, I would say that physically it doesn't make sense for it to not target everyone who can hear it, nor does it really make sense for it to not be centered on the caster.

I would make it so that it stuns them for 1 + Cha mod/2 rounds, or something...

Mewtarthio
2006-12-18, 12:52 AM

No, no, it's:

"You fight like a dairy farmer!"
"How appropriate: You fight like a cow!"

Shazzbaa
2006-12-18, 01:59 AM
I just gotta say that, given this thread's title, I was expecting something ENTIRELY different. ^^;

And, y'know, you don't need a pinch of sneezing powder to say those things... you need a pinch of sneezing powder for those words to actually stop them in their tracks.
Just to make sure, are you saying that with this spell, your catch phrase is automatically translated for you to every creature within range so they can all understand it?

Kesnit
2006-12-18, 08:36 AM
I just gotta say that, given this thread's title, I was expecting something ENTIRELY different. ^^;

:smallamused: I can only imagine. As I said, I got the idea from a comment made in the #390 discussion forum. Someone joked that Elan would use that phrase as his "catch phrase" and my mind started cranking.

Just to make sure, are you saying that with this spell, your catch phrase is automatically translated for you to every creature within range so they can all understand it?

So long as they have a verbal language, yes.

It being a level 2 spell, the will DC should be 12+cha modifier as a base; even spells which modify the DC typically only apply a +2 at most, and this seems powerful enough to omit that.

Changed.

Range needs to be listed as long (400' + 40/level), Medium (100' + 10/level) or Short (25' + 5/2 levels). What you've listed for range is its area of effect. (Unless it's meant to just be centered on the caster, which changes some things)

Changed.

The area seems a bit large too; perhaps make it one target increasing at 7, 10, 13 and 16. Otherwise it's awfully powerful (potentially) at relatively low levels to stun multiple creatures for 3-6 rounds (much more, and more likely for bards with 18-20 charisma)

I left it area of effect, but changed the duration. I was thinking AoE because I thought having it only hit one target was kind of limiting. The size of the sphere goes up very slowly, too, which limits the abuse power, IMO.