PDA

View Full Version : [Infernum Carcerus] Carl Gustaf

nersxe
2013-08-14, 07:15 AM
The portal hadn't been easy to find.

For all that the legends said Infernum Carcerus would be found by any that searched, it seemed to make him work for it. He chased down lead after lead, finding that often, people just pointed in a direction without any real idea of where he could find a way to the dungeon.

His hunting and trapping skills preserved his trail rations just fine, and in the part of the world where he lived, water was always available to those knowledgeable in such things. Still, he had begun to think perhaps he was chasing a fool's dream when he stopped at a well-hidden spring.

Just as Carl rose from re-filling his waterskins, he caught sight of it out of the corner of his eye. A door, wide as he was tall and twice that in height, stood just off to his side, where he was more than certain no door had stood when he had stopped. The frame appeared to be made of pure obsidian, reflecting the light back at the sun where sunlight filtered down from the trees. At the very top were carved words, in large, clear letters and written in the common script:

Enter If Ye Dare

Clarkson
2013-08-14, 09:57 AM
Yup. That'll probably be it. Let's get moving.

Carl walks through the center of the portal, hand on his battle axe.

nersxe
2013-08-14, 10:09 AM
From one eyeblink to another, Carl went from the forest where he was hunting Infernum Carcerous, to- elsewhere.

He stood upon a hill.

It was an unremarkable hill, unworthy of even a mention had he not suddenly appeared upon it. However, at the base of it and just across a small grassy clearing was a cave entrance. It was rocky, dark, and almost assuredly dank, but something in him, something deep within him where his need to reclaim his homeland burned like a brand, told him that here he would find the secrets he needed.

Next to the cave entrance was a wooden booth. A man lounged behind it, one whose specific race was impossible to determine from this distance, save that he seemed to have the typical humanoid number of arms, legs, and other body parts. His clothing shimmered in the faint light, the fabric colored a rich red that appeared almost black. He sat poised behind the booth, his white teeth gleaming as he looked directly at Carl.

Clarkson
2013-08-14, 10:15 AM
Carl pulls out his battle axe, and then walks down the hill stopping about 30 ft away from the man, before shouting out, Friend or foe?

nersxe
2013-08-14, 10:26 AM
"I am neither," the man replies, continuing to smile even in the face of Carl's battle-readiness, "I am merely the Merchant. Am I correct in thinking you are a Seeker, here to plunge into the depths of the Devil's Prison?"

The man's smile shows off his many perfectly white, even, straight teeth. He folds his hands casually on the booth's small counter, his swarthy skin set off by the light-colored wood there. Upon closer inspection, his clothing appears to be made of silk or something akin to it, with small black gems inlaid at the cuffs and collar. His ears each boast a long line of gold rings that went from the bottom right up to the point of his ear and then around the top. He wears no rings or other jewelry, merely his earrings and layered silks. He does not appear to be armed or armored.

Clarkson
2013-08-14, 10:49 AM
Seems like Merchanting is a very profitable occupation around here. So if you're a merchant, what do you sell?

Carl keeps his distance for now.

nersxe
2013-08-14, 10:56 AM
"It can be," the Merchant allows, inclining his head to Carl. "I sell - to Seekers, only, of course - nearly everything, if you can afford it. There are some restrictions on what I can sell the uninitiated, but-" he flicks the fingers of one hand dismissively. "-what I can sell to those new to the Devil's Prison is more than enough." He pauses, then tilts his head. "Would you like to see a list of my wares?"

Clarkson
2013-08-14, 12:06 PM
I suppose I am a seeker. I'm in search of a way to eradicate the undead plaguing my world. What do you mean the uninitiated?

nersxe
2013-08-14, 12:13 PM
"Those who are..." the Merchant mulled over his words for a few moments, "yet inexperienced in the way of the Devil's Prison."

Clarkson
2013-08-14, 02:12 PM
So if I enter and do some stuff I can come back and have a wider range of options to choose from? Or is there some sort of barrier keeping me from exiting once I've entered?

nersxe
2013-08-14, 10:41 PM
"There is no barrier but time," the Merchant replies, "it is quite a long journey upwards. However, if you call my name while alone and unafraid inside the Devil's Prison, I will appear." He flashes another sharp smile. "The first time is free."

Clarkson
2013-08-14, 10:44 PM
And the second time? So I could buy a bunch of 10' poles here, and leave them, coming back as necessary?

nersxe
2013-08-14, 10:50 PM
"The second time, if you flip a platinum piece into the air while you are alone and unafraid and call my name, I will appear." He explains. "The platinum will be mine, of course." A beat. "If you have no platinum coins, I can, of course, exchange your gold for them. At a price."

He mulls over the question. "You could buy them and leave them here, it's true. However, if another Seeker comes while they lie here, I will not protect your belongings."

Clarkson
2013-08-14, 11:00 PM
You mean I'm not the only seeker in there? Why is it called the Devil's Prison? Seems like there's a story there.

nersxe
2013-08-14, 11:50 PM
"You are not the only Seeker who enters today, no," the Merchant answers, "just earlier there was a rather unpleasant little gnome who crashed into my stall-" he points to a barely-visible dent in the front of his booth, "-and I expect there shall be at least one more today."

"As for the Devil's Prison, well..." he shakes his head, still smiling. "Just as there are things I cannot sell you as yet, there are questions I cannot yet answer. I can, however, tell you that there is a reason why it is called the Devil's Prison, and not, say, the Demon's Prison."

Clarkson
2013-08-14, 11:55 PM
So a Devil is trapped here? And what do you sell? Seems like not that much, I don't see any equipment out here, and that booth isn't large enough to hide much.

nersxe
2013-08-14, 11:57 PM
The Merchant chuckles. "I assure you, it is quite big enough for whatever you might wish to buy. Would you like to see my catalog? Magically enchanted to show only what you can buy!"

Clarkson
2013-08-15, 12:13 AM
Only what I can buy. So is that within the price range, or is there things you can sell, but won't sell to me yet?

nersxe
2013-08-15, 12:18 AM
"There are many things I have in stock, that you cannot buy as yet. However, I have found that with new Seekers, what you are not allowed to buy and what you cannot afford are one and the same."

Clarkson
2013-08-15, 12:28 AM
You said something of a catalogue? May I see it?

nersxe
2013-08-15, 12:36 AM
"Of course!" The Merchant reaches underneath the counter, lifting a massive leather-bound book. He places it on the counter, then spins it so it faces Carl.

The book contains every single item from allowed sources that has a market price of 1000g or less. However, all listings are 150% of their market price, rounded up to the nearest copper.

Clarkson
2013-08-15, 12:44 AM
I can see what you mean about what we're not allowed to buy being out of our price range. I may be back later. If I come back would that count as my first calling or will that still be available?

Carl enters the cave Battleaxe still equipped.

nersxe
2013-08-15, 12:54 AM
"If you return to the surface, it will not count as a calling," the Merchant replies. "Good delving!"

The cave is just as dark and dank as it first appeared, and only gets moreso as Carl walks. Before long, he realizes he won't be able to safely proceed without some way to tell where he is going.

Clarkson
2013-08-15, 09:43 AM
Carl returns to the shop and purchases 2 torches, and a flint/steel.

nersxe
2013-08-15, 09:51 AM
The Merchant smiles knowingly, and collects Carl's sole gold and breaks the silver for him, reaching under the counter to retrieve the torches and flint&steel. The eight copper comes shortly after, pulled out of his silks and placed onto the counter along with his goods.

"Good delving!" The Merchant says in farewell.

Clarkson
2013-08-15, 11:33 AM
Carl walks back in, and then just before it gets to dark for him to see, lights the first torch, carrying it in his offhand.

nersxe
2013-08-15, 11:54 AM
The torch flares as it ignites, then settles into a steady flame. The cave, now that he can see it clearly, has some rough-hewn stairs leading downward. The walls glisten with moisture, and a drop or two of water occasionally drips from the ceiling.

Clarkson
2013-08-15, 12:12 PM
Carl avoids the areas where the water is falling, and continues into the cave.

nersxe
2013-08-15, 12:20 PM
The walk downward is long, boring, and drippy. His torchlight wavers a few times with a sudden breeze, then calms again. Carl thinks it's been perhaps half an hour's walk when suddenly the stairs come to an end, and the way forward becomes a different kind of stone entirely.

The hallway ends not far in front of him, in a sturdy-looking wooden door.

Clarkson
2013-08-15, 01:47 PM
Carl pulls out his 10' pole, and gives the door a good prod. If nothing happens he stows the pole, and moves forward to try the handle.

nersxe
2013-08-15, 01:57 PM
Nothing happens when Carl pokes the door. When he tries the handle, it rattles a bit but does not give. Locked.

Clarkson
2013-08-15, 02:03 PM
Seeing as he has no idea how to pick a lock Carl resorts to blowing through it.

[roll0]

nersxe
2013-08-15, 02:43 PM
The door shatters under the impact, pieces scattering across the floor of the room in front of him. The room itself appears empty. There is a wooden door to Carl's left, and another directly across from him.

Carl is standing at the northeast entrance of the room. Please to be ignore the room number; there was no good way to edit it out without looking sloppy.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p560/trukreplah2/Infernum%20Carcerus/carl1_zpscfb3619f.png

Clarkson
2013-08-15, 07:38 PM
Carl checks around all the corners, and then the handles of both doors. If they open, he goes through, battleaxe and torch out.

nersxe
2013-08-16, 09:36 AM
Alas, both doors, when Carl lays hands on them, appear to be locked.

Clarkson
2013-08-19, 11:27 AM
Carl attempts to break down the door to the west

[roll0]

nersxe
2013-08-19, 11:29 AM
The door promptly ignores his attempts to break it down, looking thoroughly unscathed by his efforts.

Clarkson
2013-08-19, 12:56 PM
Carl annoyed at his failure goes to the other door and tries to break it down. Ruddy door. Can't even open right.

[roll0]

nersxe
2013-08-19, 01:03 PM
The second door also refuses to yield to Carl's efforts.

Clarkson
2013-08-20, 10:43 AM
Why won't these doors open? It's ridiculous!

With the lack of surprise through either door Carl tries again at the door he's at.

[roll0]

nersxe
2013-08-20, 12:37 PM
The door once more refuses to bow to his will.

Clarkson
2013-08-21, 08:50 AM
Carl annoyed takes 20

20+3=23

nersxe
2013-08-21, 09:10 AM
The door shatters in the face of Carl's persistent effort, revealing a hallway leading south. It ends in a turn leading west.

Map:
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p560/trukreplah2/Infernum%20Carcerus/carl2_zps9497a182.png

Clarkson
2013-08-21, 10:26 AM
Carl pulls out his 10' pole, and pushes it along the ground in front of him, his torch in his other hand. He follows the corridor south, stoping if he hits a trap, or just before the bend.

nersxe
2013-08-21, 10:29 AM
When Carl reaches the turn, he sees that the hallway continues on for another 20' before ending in a door in the hallway's north wall.

Clarkson
2013-08-21, 10:32 AM
Carl continues pushing his pole along the ground, and then throws his weight against the door.

[roll0]

Clarkson
2013-08-21, 10:33 AM
Also he stows his 10' pole and pulls out his axe before shoving the door.

nersxe
2013-08-21, 10:42 AM
When Carl's pole touches the ground just in front of the door, a gaping pit opens.

Reflex save to keep from losing your pole down the pit trap.

Clarkson
2013-08-27, 04:49 PM
[roll0] Reflex

nersxe
2013-08-27, 04:58 PM
Carl manages to keep his pole in-hand. He cannot see the bottom of the pit.