PDA

View Full Version : D&D and minecraft

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-14, 10:46 AM
So a Friend of mine and i got to talking about D&D, and how he has not played in a long time. he also stated he would like to start playing again, but he wanted to do it over Xbox live. I then mentioned maybe we could do it over Minecraft on Xbox. well here is my problem I am not sure how it would work to play it through Minecraft. do any of you guys have thoughts on the matter or have similar experience that can aid me? lastly if I get enough good information as to how to start one i am planning on opening a game through here to let others know that i will be attempting this.

So thoughts my fellow Playgrounders?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-14, 10:51 AM
Erm. I know there are plenty of virtual tabletops like Roll20 (http://roll20.net/) out there, but I don't know that Minecraft would work that well. It's got a grid, yes, and you can spend hours to build maps... but it'd be hard to DM, since there's no good way to do monster tokens, and there's no good way to do spells, and there's no native support for dice or anything...

Totally Guy
2013-08-14, 11:04 AM
The guy has probably seen some Shadow of Israphel and wants you to make something like that happen for them. I think you need a bigger team.

Avnomke
2013-08-14, 11:18 AM
It would require ridiculous amounts of modding. It would be possible, but probably not worth the effort, especially not on the Xbox version.

Admiral Squish
2013-08-14, 02:19 PM
I could see using a shared minecraft world as an illustration tool. Go creative and build things like monuments, buildings, even cities (if you're crazy enough).

Baron Of Hell
2013-08-14, 06:33 PM
I don't see how it would work at all. Even it you heavily mod it the work you would need to put into it would be insane.

Grinner
2013-08-14, 07:57 PM
If you have even the most basic familiarity with Java and Minecraft modding, adding a command to randomly generate and broadcast a number (something like "/random 2d6") would be absurdly simple.

There's native chat functionality, so that's covered.

The only thing that might be problematic is the virtual tabletop, unless you're already proficient at creating sorts of new blocks.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-14, 08:22 PM
If you have even the most basic familiarity with Java and Minecraft modding, adding a command to randomly generate and broadcast a number (something like "/random 2d6") would be absurdly simple.

There's native chat functionality, so that's covered.

The only thing that might be problematic is the virtual tabletop, unless you're already proficient at creating sorts of new blocks.

that would work for the computer version yes but my friend is wanting it done over xbox and the modding of that version is a bit harder.

It would require ridiculous amounts of modding. It would be possible, but probably not worth the effort, especially not on the Xbox version. it may not require modding at all we can use the Giantip forum dice roller for say just that aspect and DM or host can have inventories full of spawn eggs such as say a spider jockey being the similar to a derider. and maybe just side step Initiative and Combat D&D wise altogether and do it Minecraft style combat, but skills, story, and everything we could do D&D style here in the forum.

The guy has probably seen some Shadow of Israphel and wants you to make something like that happen for them. I think you need a bigger team.

if he hasn't, I now have, and from what I can see it would require a big team, or I have ideas as to how that would work as well maybe something similar to an adventure map.

giving it more thought it may work it would just take a lot of time for my part as DM and I would almost have to say it would be at most twice a month if not once a month gathering like in R.L. for certain people.

AuraTwilight
2013-08-14, 08:26 PM
The better question is...why does your friend insist upon this notion of playing over Xbox Minecraft? What benefit do you get out of it for the work?

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-14, 08:30 PM
actually he suggested it because I am nearly done with it any ways I have for the past few monthes worked a D&Dist world with Dragon lairs and dungeons and everything I am putting the final touches on it this month.:smallredface:

Mastikator
2013-08-15, 07:24 AM
Why does it have to be D&D and minecraft? There's roleplay mods for minecraft, and you can DM by being edit-mode and invisible.

Doomboy911
2013-08-15, 08:59 PM
I am totally willing to help with this project. Build a minecraft world than dm a group of players. Use books for bits of plot. Here let me show you.

So you have an area and hidden across it a couple of chests with books with information. You tell the players to roll for searching and than with it you give them a little hint as to where something might be.

I really do want to help with this I can help build the world and help with any story stuff.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-15, 09:03 PM
ok for any willing to help my Xbox live account is the same as my Giantitp username.

Doomboy911
2013-08-15, 09:18 PM
There is a catch. I have the pc version and lack a xbox. If you can convince your friend to do it pc style than I can definitely help.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-15, 09:30 PM
alright are you good at making servers i am unfortunately not.

Hamste
2013-08-15, 09:46 PM
This would make a great mod if you can make it. If you need someone to act as a monster I am willing to help (I can also help with building as well if you don't have time). Of course my computer is cruddy and overheats really easily when playing minecraft but I would love to help.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-15, 09:49 PM
the problem with my current computer is i just need to get a slightly better processor, i mean the game plays but i does lag a bit.

Hamste
2013-08-15, 09:54 PM
the problem with my current computer is i just need to get a slightly better processor, i mean the game plays but i does lag a bit.

I was thinking of getting optifine myself to help with the lag and overheating of my computer.I just suck with technology though so I haven't gotten around to spending the time to figure it out.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-15, 09:55 PM
i know how and what i just don't have the money is my problem.

Doomboy911
2013-08-16, 01:28 AM
Hmm the idea of building an adventure map is actually very appealing. What say a few of us gather together for it. If you get hamachi you can lan party together without ever building a server. We could meet up, chat up some ideas and show off our stuff until we know how to build a server than make an adventure map.

Doomboy911
2013-08-16, 11:49 PM
So I'm the sort who likes to ensure that ideas to go through. So who wants to help in building a minecraft adventure map?

Hamste
2013-08-17, 12:17 AM
So I'm the sort who likes to ensure that ideas to go through. So who wants to help in building a minecraft adventure map?

I do though a warning, I am not sure how much help I will be with my over heating laptop.

Doomboy911
2013-08-17, 12:47 AM
Well it's a group effort really. First we've got to have an idea in mind. Whip up some designs than we can all hop on hamachi and build build build.
The real hitch is setting up a server mostly because it's fun. Essentially for the adventure map you take the save file with the world and upload it for people to download and add to their map sets and than they adventure.

I know we all have a billions of ideas so here's mine.

You find yourself at the market place and are asked to choose one animal for your farm. Each animal has different difficulties. Pig is the easiest followed by sheep than cow and chicken as the hardest. The story is you're taking this animal back to your family farm in an effort to save it. What follows is you trying to lead it through plenty of dangers like traps, exploding volcanoes, and bandits.

Failing that we could just build a jack and the beanstalk map. Maybe add in the gulliver's mod.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-17, 09:43 AM
I can create a server I actually have done it before I will just need to have a little time at my home computer to do so. ill let you know

Avnomke
2013-08-17, 10:40 AM
I'll help with this, too.

As for a plot, some necromancer is summoning large swarm of undead, and it's up to the heros to kill him/her/it.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-17, 02:43 PM
Here is a major question is this going to be a good or evil campaign?

Doomboy911
2013-08-18, 01:03 AM
I'll help with this, too.

As for a plot, some necromancer is summoning large swarm of undead, and it's up to the heros to kill him/her/it.

I'm game. So the world has been plunged into eternal darkness of which no end is in sight. The dead have risen and taken over. The necromancer has taken control over the land and the people must do his bidding or face mortal doom. The necromancer demands the world stays in darkness and any source of light is strictly forbidden. Carrying a torch is a death sentence.

The necromancer is using some old magic to keep the world in total darkness. So old magic must be found to fight it. They journey into the deadliest of swamps in hopes of finding an oracle who can lead them to an ancient library where old magic can be found.

They're told their best bet is through an abandon mines that have been taken over by a small rebel alliance doing their best to fend off the undead forces. The party must decide whether they wish to avoid them and hurry along or help them and gain potential rewards. Through the mines they must reach death defying depths and navigate mind boggling mines until they reach the other end. Here they find an ancient castle broken and battered and filled with spiders, they make their way to the library and find an book that might teach them the key to success unfortunately they can't read it. Luckily they know that someone in the village does know how to read the book. An old world historian.

When they return to the village they find that the town has been put in complete lockdown by the dead and that any attempt to enter is impossible. There is one way if they get themselves captured they'll be locked up in a prison inside the town. If they can break out of a prison they can get to the historian. The catch is if they take the book with them it'll get taken from them so they can either risk losing it or hide it somewhere outside. If they hide it outside they have to take the historian out of the prison to the book. If they take the book with them they just have to get to a sort of evidence locker. This is easier but it ups the difficulty later.

So the book tells of a kingdom that was brought about by ushering in an era of light this was done with the agreement of the five elemental forces. Earth, wood,fire,water,and air. To fight back the darkness they must get the four elemental spirits to agree again by bringing them all an offering.The sides have been fighting recently making it easy for the necromancer to bring in the darkness so the sides must be brought together. The only way to do this is to trick them a little make it seem like they all want to share.

Water demands some brilliant beautiful and intricate of earth proof that it can be fluid. So make your way to the rebel camp to plunder their mines for something like this . (Redstone.)

Earth wishes air to have substance to prove to be soft but still exist.
(Wool or a bed.)

Air wants fire to prove they're not one in the same. For what is fire if not hot air . (Get lava)

Fire wants of Wood to except for every rise there must be a fall that death must exist. (Charcoal)

And wood wishes of water something that doesn't rely on it something that it can have without water. (Cactus)

These forces brought together provide the player with one thing to light up the darkness. A bit of inspiration and brilliance and hope. (A redstone torch)

They must dive into the realm of the necromancer, his necropolis lurking deep within the nether and with the torch light up the darkness.

Just a quick plot idea.

We'd put little obstacles between each elemental area maybe throw in a riddle of what each element wants. I can easily whip up the redstone for this bit of puzzle.

This was just my idea feel free to come up with something else.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-18, 01:27 AM
This looks like a cool project.

I'm willing to help set it up during the next few weeks if you set it up on PC.
I may not be playing though in the game since in a few weeks college starts I don't think I'd be able to juggle this, college, the groups I'm already in and other social life stuff.

But as far as getting this up and running? Sounds cool and I'd be interested for sure in helping with that.

If this ends up looking really cool and awesome I might be able to stay for the campaign though. There's a good chance I'll be dropping out of my GURPs group anyways.

As for ideas?

Story: I got nothing.

Tech: I've never modded successfully before and have no idea how to run a server. I'll basically just be trying to help with coming up with new ideas and building any maps needed.

Other: Roll off of minecraft, that's for sure.
It's over PC we could really just have a roll20 room open where we can all see each others dice rolls. If not we all use other systems or other dice to roll and rely on the honour system.

Whatever campaign we do though, the players need to be fine with more linear/railroaded storylines and quest. You just can't make a minecraft map on the spot like you can a usual d&d map.

Then there's classes and such. Are we still using d&d mechanics in minecraft somehow? Cause I don't see us being able to mod it in, at best minecraft with this serves as a 3D map feature.

I'm guessing the server will need a mod that adds more rpg elements to it and we just use that. With d&d really just being the flavour of how we roleplay and campaign theme.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-18, 01:29 AM
Here is a major question is this going to be a good or evil campaign?

I suggest good.

Evil campaign normally involve a lot of destruction and mayhem.
Something that can easily work against the group if we're building all the maps and things ourselves.

Party wants to rob the village? Ok, let's spend 4 hours making a village simply to destroy said village.

Doomboy911
2013-08-18, 01:51 AM
Well doing a dungeons and dragons game will be difficult but if we settle for just an adventure map than we can accomplish that. I'm a builder who has studied architecture in the past and I'm studying design right now. I also went out of my way and spent a spring break learning redstone. (I have a world filled with little redstone devices called Redstoned) So I can handle a good deal of the behind the scenes stuff like setting up mob spawners and such. Bear in mind I would be using dispensers. We'd need to figure out how to make normal spawners work the way we want.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-18, 02:09 AM
I'm not so good with redstone myself.

I can do basic designs but when it's complex things normally go wrong somewhere and I end up need a lot of room and time to find all the kinks and in the end may of used an inefficient design.

I'm always willing to learn more on redstone though.
I have good experience on walls though... as in big castle like walls.
I used to be in a server with friends where we all made a big building we all made our own rooms in and I was basically the only one making the giant castle wall surrounding it.

Erock
2013-08-18, 02:09 AM
MCEdit, which is one of your best friends in Adventure Map creation, is great for messing around with mob spawners. I don't remember if the Mob Spawner filter is default, or if it's one of SethBlings, but SethBling has a tutorial on YouTube, it takes little more than that and playtesting to use it proficiently.

Doomboy911
2013-08-18, 10:41 AM
Alright than we can do some landscaping with MCEdit and make the monsters work for us. Don't know how to armor them out or do some server commands but I can teleport people and build redstone puzzles. What can everyone else do?

Hamste
2013-08-18, 10:47 AM
Skeletons at least can be given armor and weapons by dropping it next to them I think. Zombie Pigmen pick it up as well. Zombies I am not sure (I think you have to keep spawning and killing them until one spawns with the stuff you want). Of course there might be a mod for it.

I am good at designing things and making places.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-18, 11:34 AM
I Thought Zombies can Pick up Armor and Weapons now. and this is seeming to go together well, OK I will get the server created sometime this week i'll post the address once I have.

Erock
2013-08-18, 01:42 PM
Skeletons at least can be given armor and weapons by dropping it next to them I think. Zombie Pigmen pick it up as well. Zombies I am not sure (I think you have to keep spawning and killing them until one spawns with the stuff you want). Of course there might be a mod for it.

I am good at designing things and making places.

Using the MobSpawner filter in MCEdit, you can alter gear they spawn with, or even make them spawn wearing different colors of wool. You should check out Hypixel's Herobrine series for an idea of what MCEdit and some redstone can do.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-18, 01:53 PM
I'm just a general/casual minecraft player.

I really have no specific specialty to add to the table, I'm more just an extra pair of hands if needed. We will need a chatroom or something set up though for us all to communicate better while making the server.

People usually work faster when communicating over mic and I imagine it would help for when the d&d portion starts too.

I suggest Skype since it's what I usually use to chat with people while on games like minecraft, but anything that allows multiple voice chat like Tinychat could also work.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-18, 02:43 PM
I am a Xbox player of minecraft normally so how do mikes work on the PC?

Hamste
2013-08-18, 05:32 PM
So what type of mods should be added? We will definitely need a weapons/armor mod of some sort or several to cover a majority of the regular weapons and armor, a magic mod or several mods that can copy magical spells, a mob mod with the monsters that are wanted for that sessions combat (actual players can play the monsters as well and could work better for traditional D&D game so this might not be needed...we would need a skin maker then and a way to change players into weird shapes) and a mod or a few mods for easy bookkeeping/applying modifiers. Anyone have any suggestions?

The main problems we will have I think is certain skills which can just as easily be done by a player (like spot and disable device) and finding a good magic mod (Too often it comes down to using potions and not only is that annoying but it also messes with alchemy. The damage attacks are pretty easy but some of the spells might be tough to do. Perhaps using specially made commands for it?)

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-18, 06:14 PM
I highly suggest we all share our skype names and add each other so we can discuss this more in real time and get this going faster.

If skype doesn't work for people we will need someone to find an alternate chat program/service for us all to use. Preferably one that's free.

I am a Xbox player of minecraft normally so how do mikes work on the PC?

You won't be able to use your 360 mic but it's mostly the same idea in terms of functionality. You plug it in, confirm it's on and then talk into it. Sometimes they're built into the webcams and laptops too so if you have a webcam or laptop but not a mic you should check to see if the webcam or laptop has one built in first.

So what type of mods should be added? We will definitely need a weapons/armor mod of some sort or several to cover a majority of the regular weapons and armor, a magic mod or several mods that can copy magical spells, a mob mod with the monsters that are wanted for that sessions combat (actual players can play the monsters as well and could work better for traditional D&D game so this might not be needed...we would need a skin maker then and a way to change players into weird shapes) and a mod or a few mods for easy bookkeeping/applying modifiers. Anyone have any suggestions?

The main problems we will have I think is certain skills which can just as easily be done by a player (like spot and disable device) and finding a good magic mod (Too often it comes down to using potions and not only is that annoying but it also messes with alchemy. The damage attacks are pretty easy but some of the spells might be tough to do. Perhaps using specially made commands for it?)

I think the main issue we have (and need to let go of) is expecting to bring in all d&d mechanics over into minecraft. I mean sure we can try to immitate some of it, but I don't see us successfully bringing over the whole system.

As a group I'm thinking we need to decide what is possible to bring over and what isn't. And after that deciding what it is that we can bring over that would be worth the effort to bring over. Then also finding suitable ways to replace what we can't carry over.

But in the end, I don't see a 100% completion in bringing over all the mechanics, some things will need to be dropped.

As for the Mods:
(I should note, like said in an earlier post I never modded minecraft before. I'm just searching some up and guessing how well it may work)

Note: Getting it from this link here http://www.minecraftdl.com/category/minecraft-mods/page/1/ if you want to look for yourself.

Dungeon Mobs Mod: http://www.minecraftdl.com/dungeon-mobs-mod/
This might work to helping with the monster issue.

RPG HUD: http://www.minecraftdl.com/rpg-hud-mod/
This can help give us a more RPG feel in the game

Extra Doors: http://www.minecraftdl.com/extra-doors-extreme-mod/
We have different looking doors so a door is likely to kill the dungeon mood

Goblins & Giants: http://www.minecraftdl.com/goblins-and-giants-mod/
More Mobs to add to the game, seems to also include vampires, werewolves etc.

Pet Buddy: http://www.minecraftdl.com/pet-buddy-mod/
Can use to simulate animal companion maybe?

Cyan Warrior: http://www.minecraftdl.com/cyan-warrior-sword-mod-for-minecraft-1-6-2/
More sword variety

Hamste
2013-08-18, 06:57 PM
I don't use chat programs in general (I don't even have a mic).

I was looking at the dungeon mobs mod myself. In the showcase it looked pretty good and I was going to suggest it myself if use mobs instead of people.

I like that rpg hud a lot. There are commands to add hp and that would allow us to show the hp easily without having tons of hearts covering up the screen.

I like the doors idea a lot. A ton of mods add new blocks but few people add new doors.

Hackslashmine is another good one to look at last time I looked at it. It already has classes in it and several new weapons.

Avnomke
2013-08-18, 07:06 PM
I can do some redstone and command block stuff.
If you guys give me control over the BBEG's lair I have some evil traps in mind.

I don't have skype. :smallfrown:

Doomboy911
2013-08-18, 07:27 PM
I think something else we need to consider is whether we want to make dungeons and dragons in minecraft or if we want to make an adventure map. If we do adventure map than our skills together will work greatly. I feel that dungeons and dragons will require us to have far too many mods with little pay off. People will just look at what we've whipped up knowing that we were shooting for dungeons and dragons and say we're off.

Hamste
2013-08-18, 07:35 PM
If we do an adventure map can we at least still attempt to make it sort of D&Dish (Though trying for D&D would still be cool). Also I am sure we can think of a better way for spellcasters to work than the average game. I still like the idea of specialized commands for buffs and similar things with a cool down time between them (or command blocks to reset them...though that might be abused). I truly shudder at how good RPG maps are copies of each other without anyone trying to step outside of the box.

Doomboy911
2013-08-18, 08:05 PM
I mean we can make an adventure map that feels like a dungeons and dragons adventure but making minecraft something it's not is a bit out there. Also I recommend we do my plot it felt awesome. We can have labyrinths and cloud hopping and all kinds of madness.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-19, 01:39 PM
I'm good with any plot.

But I do think we shouldn't try to copy d&d fully and just make a minecraft RPG idea. If we find easy ways to take some d&d elements go right ahead. But I think we'll do better if we let Minecraft become an RPG of it's very own.

Also if there is such a mod, I suggest one that divides exp evenly among players so we got no "You stole my kill!" stuff.

Avnomke
2013-08-20, 10:29 AM
Core classes, in alphabetical order:

Barbarian: Leather/Iron Armor, Stone/Iron Sword, Potions of Rage (Strength I/II+Health Boost I/II

Bard: Not sure about this one. (Splash) Potions for spells, but what about the music stuff?

Cleric: Leather/Iron/Diamond Armor, Stone/Iron/Diamond Sword, lots of healing potions, some other potions for various spells.

Druid: Leather Armor, Wood/Stone Sword, some potions, wolves.

Fighter: Leather/Iron/Diamond Armor, Stone/Iron/Diamond Sword.

Monk: No armor/weapons, permanent Resistance I, Speed II, and Strength II.

Paladin: Leather/Iron/Diamond Armor, Stone/Iron/Diamond Sword (with Smite), some potions.

Ranger: Leather/Iron Armor, Stone/Iron/Diamond Sword, some potions, a wolf.

Sorcerer/Wizard: No armor, Wood Sword, lots of splash potions.

I haven't done any balancing (for example, clerics and paladins are both far better than fighters), but it's a start and a general idea.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-20, 10:41 AM
maybe Fighters and Barbarians gain some sort of Enchantment on the armor so they can be on par with the paladin and cleric.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-20, 10:11 PM
Core classes, in alphabetical order:

Barbarian: Leather/Iron Armor, Stone/Iron Sword, Potions of Rage (Strength I/II+Health Boost I/II

Bard: Not sure about this one. (Splash) Potions for spells, but what about the music stuff?

Cleric: Leather/Iron/Diamond Armor, Stone/Iron/Diamond Sword, lots of healing potions, some other potions for various spells.

Druid: Leather Armor, Wood/Stone Sword, some potions, wolves.

Fighter: Leather/Iron/Diamond Armor, Stone/Iron/Diamond Sword.

Monk: No armor/weapons, permanent Resistance I, Speed II, and Strength II.

Paladin: Leather/Iron/Diamond Armor, Stone/Iron/Diamond Sword (with Smite), some potions.

Ranger: Leather/Iron Armor, Stone/Iron/Diamond Sword, some potions, a wolf.

Sorcerer/Wizard: No armor, Wood Sword, lots of splash potions.

I haven't done any balancing (for example, clerics and paladins are both far better than fighters), but it's a start and a general idea.

Nice.

I'd rule the Cleric doesn't get diamond sword though unless if they give up some of the potions since without the war domain they normally don't have martial weapons anyways.

As for Fighters, Just give them buffs like the Barbarian has but then give the Barbarian even more buffs?

Doomboy911
2013-08-21, 10:18 AM
It's tough thinking for the fighter. The age old argument of what can a fighter do that a barbarian can't do better. Maybe just give him a sword with bane of arthropods and smite on it since he's skilled at killing stuff. Or give him a jump and regeneration while the barbarian gets knockback.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-21, 01:16 PM
It's tough thinking for the fighter. The age old argument of what can a fighter do that a barbarian can't do better. Maybe just give him a sword with bane of arthropods and smite on it since he's skilled at killing stuff. Or give him a jump and regeneration while the barbarian gets knockback.

Maybe. If we ever get a mod that adds more RPG elements like level things up. You can just allow the fighter to have more weapon related bonuses.

Or... I noticed we didn't add bows above. Why not just gives bows to the following classes? Fighter & Ranger.

Also something I relized with Barbarian. He'll need enough to a strength boost that it makes a Barbarian with an iron sword more deadly than a fighter with a diamond sword.

Avnomke
2013-08-21, 02:35 PM
Barbarian and fighter are already (somewhat) balanced, it's clerics and paladins I was concerned about. The iron sword was intentional.

But yeah, bows for ranger and fighter sounds good. (and help with the ranger's wolfie, too) Maybe barbarians get some archery, too? Or just permanent speed I and diamond sword.

Not sure how to do the whole wild shape thing, either.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-21, 03:17 PM
Barbarian and fighter are already (somewhat) balanced, it's clerics and paladins I was concerned about. The iron sword was intentional.

But yeah, bows for ranger and fighter sounds good. (and help with the ranger's wolfie, too) Maybe barbarians get some archery, too? Or just permanent speed I and diamond sword.

Not sure how to do the whole wild shape thing, either.

I saw forget wild shape unless if we find a mod for it.

I'm just stating that the last thing you want is a Fighter to be out damaging the Barbarian. But giving them a diamond sword could work for that.

But then you got Barb's just losing one armor tier for +Damage, HP & Speed which could be a bit too much and make them above the Fighter so it becomes a Cleric/Paladin like problem.

That's where Fighters having Bows may start to fix it, they have something neither of those three got. I wouldn't suggest giving bows to Barbarians. I mean technically the can due to martial weapon proficiency, but at that rate so should Paladins and that wouldn't help the Fighter balance either.

Maybe give Fighters something like bonus attack speed or an armor buff making them harder to hit?

Doomboy911
2013-08-21, 03:40 PM
Ok so clerics get healing and regenerating splash potions while paladin has just healing potions he can give or use himself.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-21, 07:02 PM
Ok so clerics get healing and regenerating splash potions while paladin has just healing potions he can give or use himself.

Sounds good.

If we ever find a mod that allows for more potions and/or introduces spells we'll need to take another look at this though.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-22, 01:39 PM
Ok Guys It Is Here The Server Address Is:............

Hamste
2013-08-22, 01:49 PM
Yay, I might not be on for the next while though

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-22, 01:51 PM
I am fixing my own client right now so I can get on.

Doomboy911
2013-08-22, 03:01 PM
Can't seem to connect the server.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-22, 03:20 PM
I saw that you tried to connect. since I am still fairly new to servers do I have to be in for it to be playable?

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-22, 05:14 PM
Doomboys connected a few times, also like I've said i have a crap system for Minecraft so the server will be lagging a lot.

lastly i now got it set to peaceful, but i am still working on getting it creative.

Hamste
2013-08-22, 05:15 PM
I think /give Name gamemode 0

I know /gamemode 0 works for yourself.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-22, 06:02 PM
the weird thing is it is telling me it is one creative but I know it is not.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-22, 08:58 PM
My friend used to run a minecraft server but he never had to be on for us to play.

Though I know the server is only active as long as the router and computer is on, so he would be leaving his computer on 24/7.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-22, 09:08 PM
However I was able to connect and am currently on the server.

Making a house of iron so try to look for that for our rendevous maybe?

X: 211, Y: 63

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-23, 12:53 AM
thanks man also I can read all that you guys post so while are on the server, I will tomorrow figure out how to make it creative in the mean time I will let it run all night. good night you guys.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-23, 11:53 AM
ya just doing the /gamemode 1 works to switch any one to creative. also have we decided on the story. and lastly we should put a walled area around the spawn so then we can make players choose there class and everything.

Doomboy911
2013-08-23, 12:05 PM
Let it be known the only plot we have now is mine. If someone has another plot we can run with that.

I built a message board of things that need doing. Seems right now people are just doing random building without any idea of what we're doing. I figure we build away from the spawn.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-23, 01:11 PM
ya just doing the /gamemode 1 works to switch any one to creative. also have we decided on the story. and lastly we should put a walled area around the spawn so then we can make players choose there class and everything.

Actually it was on creative the entire time for us.
That's how I made the house of Iron.

What? You thought I mined over 100 iron blocks worth of iron? :P

Let it be known the only plot we have now is mine. If someone has another plot we can run with that.

I built a message board of things that need doing. Seems right now people are just doing random building without any idea of what we're doing. I figure we build away from the spawn.

The Iron house was kind of boredom's sake and figuring we needed a common house. The Arena/Colosseum was cause I figured an RPG would need it at some point.

Also, I suggest we build further away from the spawn point because the spawn is right next to blocks that cannot be destroyed or built on. It would make designing our dungeons and such much harder to do.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-23, 01:52 PM
we can try to do a story, but I also feel we should have the whole world open to the players with tons of side quests as well.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-23, 03:08 PM
we can try to do a story, but I also feel we should have the whole world open to the players with tons of side quests as well.

Perhaps.

Also me and doomsboy are online at the moment making stuff if anyone wants to join.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-23, 05:45 PM
I can see that. since I made the server I can watch all progress on it with out having to join the game. however I will join sometime tomorrow or sunday, I got to head to work right now.

edit sorry about that my cat jump up hit the mouse and closed the server.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-23, 06:28 PM
I can see that. since I made the server I can watch all progress on it with out having to join the game. however I will join sometime tomorrow or sunday, I got to head to work right now.

edit sorry about that my cat jump up hit the mouse and closed the server.

O_O

WE'RE BEING WATCHED!!!

But your server closed again. Was that the cat again?

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-24, 09:22 AM
idk i was at work. i crashed as soon as i got home and now i am at work again i'll check when i get back.

Avnomke
2013-08-24, 01:57 PM
I'll get to work with the class system.

Here's what I'll be doing:

Barbarian: Iron armor, Diamond sword, Potions of rage x6 (1 of each of Strength and Extra Health, since they can't be combined using command blocks), Speed I xx.xx

Bard: DNE

Cleric: Iron armor, Iron sword, Splash potion of healing II x3, Splash potion of healing I x12, Splash potion of regen I (extended) x6

Druid: 3 wolf spawn eggs, Stone sword, Leather armor, 64 bones (for taming wolves), Splash potion of healing I x6, Rotten Meat x64 (for healing wolves)

Fighter: Diamond Sword, Diamond Armor, Bow, Arrow x32

Monk: Resistance I xx.xx, Speed II xx.xx, Strength II xx.xx

Paladin: Diamond Armor, Iron Sword (Smite I), Splash potions of healing I x6, Potion of Healing II x3

Ranger: Iron Armor, Iron Sword, Wolf Egg x1, Bones x16 (for taming wolf), Splash potions of Strength I x3, Splash potions of Speed x3, Rotten Flesh x16 (for healing wolves), Bow, 32 Arrows

Sorcerer: Combined with wizard

Wizard: Blaze rod (flame I), Splash potion of harming I x32, Splash potion of Poison I x6, Potion of invisibility x3

These items, along with health, would be refreshed at heal points scattered throughout the terrain, with the exception of wolves and bones.

EDIT: I can't connect.

GilesTheCleric
2013-08-24, 02:21 PM
If you guys want to save yourself some time on building generic things, you could try downloading a world that has already been created, and then modify it for your needs. I know that there's an effort to replicate middle earth that is fairly far along, and I believe that the entirety of World of Warcraft has been created as well. It would be easy to just toss in some dungeons and whatever else you might need.

Also, some guys on youtube (led by Jesse Cox) have been working on a minecraft RPG for over a year now, so you might want to check that out (https://shaboozey.com) and see if it might be useful.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-24, 03:30 PM
I'll get to work with the class system.

Here's what I'll be doing:

Barbarian: Iron armor, Diamond sword, Potions of rage x6 (1 of each of Strength and Extra Health, since they can't be combined using command blocks), Speed I xx.xx

Bard: DNE

Cleric: Iron armor, Iron sword, Splash potion of healing II x3, Splash potion of healing I x12, Splash potion of regen I (extended) x6

Druid: 3 wolf spawn eggs, Stone sword, Leather armor, 64 bones (for taming wolves), Splash potion of healing I x6, Rotten Meat x64 (for healing wolves)

Fighter: Diamond Sword, Diamond Armor, Bow, Arrow x32

Monk: Resistance I xx.xx, Speed II xx.xx, Strength II xx.xx

Paladin: Diamond Armor, Iron Sword (Smite I), Splash potions of healing I x6, Potion of Healing II x3

Ranger: Iron Armor, Iron Sword, Wolf Egg x1, Bones x16 (for taming wolf), Splash potions of Strength I x3, Splash potions of Speed x3, Rotten Flesh x16 (for healing wolves), Bow, 32 Arrows

Sorcerer: Combined with wizard

Wizard: Blaze rod (flame I), Splash potion of harming I x32, Splash potion of Poison I x6, Potion of invisibility x3

These items, along with health, would be refreshed at heal points scattered throughout the terrain, with the exception of wolves and bones.

EDIT: I can't connect.

Looks solid... Though for ways to divide up sorcerer and wizard perhaps.

Give sorcerer more potions to use, but give the Wizard the ability to obtain new potions from certain sources. Like say have a chest by an ancient scroll for a new spell, only the wizard is allowed to grab the potion.

As for Bard... I guess base it off Cleric?
Less healing spells, Leather armor, some potions that buff others.

But then give it some elements that the rogue would have once we have the ability to implement that.

For rogue I'm thinking...

Iron Sword, Leather Armor, Potion of Invisibility x3, Bow, 32 arrows and maybe the DM notes to give him some pre-warning of traps?

Also, still can't connect to server either.

If you guys want to save yourself some time on building generic things, you could try downloading a world that has already been created, and then modify it for your needs. I know that there's an effort to replicate middle earth that is fairly far along, and I believe that the entirety of World of Warcraft has been created as well. It would be easy to just toss in some dungeons and whatever else you might need.

Also, some guys on youtube (led by Jesse Cox) have been working on a minecraft RPG for over a year now, so you might want to check that out (https://shaboozey.com) and see if it might be useful.

That might work, though I do imagine some people want custom adventures and we are working on a Colosseum atm which has taken me and doomsboy forever so far and I really don't want to just give up on it now that most of the planning and land clearing is done.

Avnomke
2013-08-24, 03:48 PM
Looks solid... Though for ways to divide up sorcerer and wizard perhaps.

Give sorcerer more potions to use, but give the Wizard the ability to obtain new potions from certain sources. Like say have a chest by an ancient scroll for a new spell, only the wizard is allowed to grab the potion.

Those would be a major headache to restore, so no.

As for Bard... I guess base it off Cleric?
Less healing spells, Leather armor, some potions that buff others.

Maybe...
I'm thinking splash potions of weakness and strength?

But then give it some elements that the rogue would have once we have the ability to implement that.

For rogue I'm thinking...

Iron Sword, Leather Armor, Potion of Invisibility x3, Bow, 32 arrows and maybe the DM notes to give him some pre-warning of traps?

I forgot about rogues! Yeah that sounds good, but I think maybe 6 potions of invisibility (extended) could be good, if we give the bard 3 splash potions of invisibility (to simulate illusions, kind of).

Hamste
2013-08-24, 03:54 PM
Is the server currently off? I just tried to connect and couldn't

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-24, 05:45 PM
I am going to refresh the server I am about to head to my third job. sorry I am not on a lot.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-24, 06:13 PM
Those would be a major headache to restore, so no.

Fair enough. Though we do need to recreate some of the more traditional/more used spells like fly.

Maybe...
I'm thinking splash potions of weakness and strength?

That could work.

I forgot about rogues! Yeah that sounds good, but I think maybe 6 potions of invisibility (extended) could be good, if we give the bard 3 splash potions of invisibility (to simulate illusions, kind of).

That works also! :)

Is the server currently off? I just tried to connect and couldn't

It is for me atm.

I am going to refresh the server I am about to head to my third job. sorry I am not on a lot.

You work three jobs? God damn man, don't worry about it! That's a lot of work you have there.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-25, 12:08 AM
i actually have 4 jobs. till September 21 then it will be 3. anyways I am going to shut my computer off for tonight. so it can be ready for more server running tomorrow. good night my friends.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-25, 12:10 AM
also my IP for the server changed that is why it was not working any more for you guys i'll give the updated IP tomorrow.

Doomboy911
2013-08-25, 12:34 AM
Ok lets say we all get on around 7:30 tomorrow giantitp time. We''ll chat in real time and discuss important things like plot and what we need to build since two of us are building a big friggin' colloseum and I'm not sure if we're going to actually use it. We're building an emperor's booth of which I shall frequent since I lost my island in the colloseum's construction.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-25, 02:17 AM
Ok lets say we all get on around 7:30 tomorrow giantitp time. We''ll chat in real time and discuss important things like plot and what we need to build since two of us are building a big friggin' colloseum and I'm not sure if we're going to actually use it. We're building an emperor's booth of which I shall frequent since I lost my island in the colloseum's construction.

AM or PM?

I'll try to be on at AM to be safe, if not... well I'll head back to sleep :P

Sorry about the island, I had no idea the colloseum would take up that much room.

Avnomke
2013-08-25, 09:58 AM
Testing for GitP time zone.
EDIT: It's eastern.
EDIT2: What's the IP now?

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-25, 11:17 AM
74.37.168.63 here is the new server address.

Avnomke
2013-08-25, 11:57 AM
Yay redstone time!

Also, I'm going to need admin status so I can use command blocks, unless you want to have me tell you what to put in every one of them. :smalltongue:

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-25, 12:48 PM
you should be all set for admin status now.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-25, 03:27 PM
Got the new IP and the servers off again.

Avnomke
2013-08-25, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I was only able to get on for a couple of minutes earlier today, before getting kicked off because the connection timed out.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-25, 05:47 PM
ya my internet is for right now wibbly. so the server will be down for today.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-26, 01:04 PM
So when will the server be up and running?

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-26, 01:28 PM
it is running now and everything seems to be going fine. I wasn't the only yesterday having internet issues apparently.

Avnomke
2013-08-26, 02:16 PM
I still can't connect. :smallannoyed:

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-26, 02:57 PM
Still down for me too

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-26, 06:44 PM
did you guys switch to the IP address? :smallfurious: stupid modem it switch to another again. here it is 74.37.172.100

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-27, 01:24 AM
I managed to connect to it.

Avnomke
2013-08-27, 10:22 AM
Still can't connect.
How often does it change? I get the feeling it's more than once every 4 hours.

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-27, 11:54 AM
it changes every couple of days on the IP. i am at work right now so i can't check to see if it changed.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-08-31, 04:09 AM
So is this thing still happening?

cavalieredraghi
2013-08-31, 10:26 AM
my connection is so bad, that it is up to you guys, i can however give the map to another person with a better connection, all they have to do is create a new server., but it is all up to what you guys want to do.

Avnomke
2013-08-31, 06:47 PM
I can't, my internet isn't that great and I don't have anything that can stay on all day.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-09-01, 09:35 AM
I have no idea how to host a server, and I don't think my PC would be able to handle being on all the time with constant internet drainage.

Doomboy911
2013-09-20, 11:00 PM
Gang lets not lose hope. This idea as a whole can still work we just need to rally our forces and work out some kinks. Who's still got the drive to create?

cavalieredraghi
2013-09-21, 02:07 AM
Ill keep the equipment to keep the server going it will be lagging heavy though.

I post tomorrow the IP address

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-09-21, 02:13 AM
Honestly, I'm shocked no one has mentioned Vechs' Super Hostile map series.

You want an adventure map? Those are some of the most insanely and deviously constructed maps currently in existence.

The general goal is to get all of the fifteen wools from 'fleecy boxes' which are in suitably difficult-to-obtain locations to complete the monument.

In Inferno Mines, he's even got bosses set up to guard some of the wools, designations of minions which are more powerful but drop better loots, amazing vistas... check it out.

Avnomke
2013-09-21, 01:57 PM
...what about it? Vechs didn't do what we're trying to do. He didn't make a multiplayer adventure map based off D&D, he made a singleplayer insanely difficult CTW map.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-09-21, 04:33 PM
College is going for me now, with things like Placement and Clubs taking up more time than I would of accounted for back when I offered help during the summer.

Though in the summer I did say it was most likely I wouldn't be playing anyways and just be helping with map designs during the summer.

So really, at this case I'm not sure if I can be in this group.
Maybe if it's hosted on the weekend, but if not you'll have to count me out.

Doomboy911
2013-09-21, 05:28 PM
Actually working on the weekends sounds like a great idea. We can set a time and a schedule of things that need done along with working out a plot.

cavalieredraghi
2013-09-21, 05:31 PM
ok here is the new IP 74.37.167.190

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-09-22, 02:09 AM
...what about it? Vechs didn't do what we're trying to do. He didn't make a multiplayer adventure map based off D&D, he made a singleplayer insanely difficult CTW map.

I would, by no means, call it 'insanely difficult'. However, that's neither here nor there.

What he has done is built an entire dungeon for you to go delve and explore. Complete even with a couple of Dragons. You know... it's got Dungeons, and Dragons... I'm sensing a theme here...

Seriously, it's as close as you are going to get to D&D on a Minecraft server. You can't just pause the server for everyone to roll and take their turn, it's not a turn-based game, and trying to make it one is really not going to work.

Also, who said anything about 'single player only'? I've seen several instances of people playing Multiplayer in Super Hostile maps. In fact, Inferno Mines and a few others are explicitly built with that in mind!

So yea, you've got dungeons, you've got baddies to kill, you've got loots to acquire, you've got a Quest to complete... what more do you want?