PDA

View Full Version : Honoring the fallen (characters)

Stake A Vamp
2013-08-14, 12:03 PM
so, here's the story
'Twas a dark eve, to be sure. the city of Luskan was besieged by a horde of minor demons, pours from a stabilized gate to the abyss. The front lines had broken, slain and routed by the seemingly endless horde. the heroes who had throughout the day held back the tide were weary and harmed, their wizard having used all but three of its invocations, and was staggering, their rouge was scavenging the fallen for ammunition, having run out hours ago their cleric had healed each of them more times than can be counted, and in all this, the paladin was the only one with hope left, for even in the darkest of times, the honor and strength of a paladin is unbreakable. as dusk approached, the horde was coming more quickly than what remained of the garrison could cut the beasts down. Then the Paladin, Sir Alden, turned to the party, the leaders of Luskan, and the garrison in general, and ordered them to retreat, to take the citizens and fall back to the docks, abandon the city, and save the people. he closes a portcullis, the garrison helps him to create a barricade so that the foe may only attack him three at a time. he then orders his compatriots to aid in the retreat. he turns back toward the foe as his companions disappear out of sight and the portcullis is broken wide enough for the horde to come through. he cries out "For Helm", draws his blade, brandishes his shield, and begins to lash out at the demons. he is able to hold the breach for a total of seven minutes before he is finally falls under the weight of the foe.

so, Me and my players wanted to do a major battle, they were level six, so i re-fluffed some orcs, gave them a claw attack, and created a horde of them. (for reference, we as a group agreed that the battle would end in the party's retreat, so i didn't force them to this by making the battle impossible to win) they held out for about 5 play sessions (18 RL hours, and a full in game day) then decided that they had to retreat. the paladin decided to give everyone enough time, and he stood at the breach in the second wall and cut down wave after wave of the orc-demons (Tan'ari Defilers). one of my players ept count and he slew over 200 Defilers. so two questions. first, as we agreed that was an excellent end to the character and h will no be raisd, how do we honor him, and two. should I reward that player for that moment of true greatness, and how?

Berenger
2013-08-14, 01:37 PM
The high priest of Helm could canonize him as a martyr of the faith & patron saint of gates.

The survivors of Luskan will need a new home. They could name it after him, or at least a plaza, street, tower or, since he died at one, city gate. Generations of adventurers will enter New Luskan through Saint Xs Gate.

Bonus points if this new gate is enhanced by magic or the paladins spirit to let no evil creature (or at least no demon) pass.

TheCountAlucard
2013-08-14, 01:48 PM
Bronze his character sheet. Alternatively, fold it into a boat and give it a Viking funeral. :smallamused:

Stake A Vamp
2013-08-14, 07:19 PM
Bronze his character sheet. Alternatively, fold it into a boat and give it a Viking funeral. :smallamused:
Bronze? lso, good idea, though i would create a copy character sheet, in case we ever decided to do an all-stars campaign (we have a few other "amazing heroic death" and we may decide to do an upper planes campaign)

The high priest of Helm could canonize him as a martyr of the faith & patron saint of gates.

The survivors of Luskan will need a new home. They could name it after him, or at least a plaza, street, tower or, since he died at one, city gate. Generations of adventurers will enter New Luskan through Saint Xs Gate.

Bonus points if this new gate is enhanced by magic or the paladins spirit to let no evil creature (or at least no demon) pass.
this is a good idea (the gate, he is definitely getting a shrine in the hall of martyrs) not bad for a level 6 character

TheCountAlucard
2013-08-14, 08:32 PM
I was joking about literally bronzing it, like baby shoes, but my gaming group frequently immortalizes old characters. One player has a whole folder full of nothing but laminated sheets from his retired characters from various games and systems.

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-14, 08:42 PM
Did you know that there is actually a free game on RPGNow.com that is all about honoring your characters that died in other games? It's true!