PDA

View Full Version : Monstrous mounts.

Doomboy911
2013-08-14, 01:19 PM
So I've scoured the handbooks and some of the books and I'm having a heck of a time finding a monster mount. I'm looking for something fast and strong like a bulette but there doesn't seem to be much information on it. Can you folks help?

It's for this http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297905

and future campaigns.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-14, 01:29 PM
I am a big fan of griffins and giant eagles and owls from core. Giant ravens (Frostburn) are nice, and they can talk. The ashworm from Sandstorm is pretty solid. Dire rhinoceros from either the Fiend Folio or one of the Fiendish Codices (it's one of those hell books, I can't remember which) is pretty badass.

Manly Man
2013-08-14, 01:31 PM
Go all Gilgamesh on the baddies and ride a gorgon with the Celestial template.

Doomboy911
2013-08-14, 02:26 PM
Go all Gilgamesh on the baddies and ride a gorgon with the Celestial template.

I'm game for this idea what book and how much?

Urpriest
2013-08-14, 02:29 PM
Depends how you're getting the mount. Are you paying gold for it, or getting it with a class feature or a feat?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-14, 02:34 PM
A celestial gorgon would be CR 10, going by the slave costs in Lord of Madness it would be 10,000 GP though I don't know where the hell (umm heaven?) you will find someone that sells those.

Your best bet is taking leadership as a feat and asking your DM nicely.

Doomboy911
2013-08-14, 02:34 PM
Ooh I'm in luck the urpriest is on this. I'm paying this out of pocket for my barbarian character. I've got roughly 2k. I want something either vicious, tough, or fast. Thus I'm tied between a bulette for the speed and digging, the hydra because dang five heads to rip something to shred, or that gorgon which is really pretty sounding.

Randomocity132
2013-08-14, 02:39 PM
Large Monstrous Spider

with a saddle

gorfnab
2013-08-14, 02:51 PM
The Beast Heart Adept prestige class could get you some interesting monster mount options.

Urpriest
2013-08-14, 03:57 PM
Ooh I'm in luck the urpriest is on this. I'm paying this out of pocket for my barbarian character. I've got roughly 2k. I want something either vicious, tough, or fast. Thus I'm tied between a bulette for the speed and digging, the hydra because dang five heads to rip something to shred, or that gorgon which is really pretty sounding.

Hmm...

Spending gold on a mount is both the trickiest and easiest option. The thing is, there are lots of sources that offer prices for mounts, and they rarely agree. Especially without Handle Animal (I'm assuming you don't have Handle Animal) there really aren't any good rules for what you can and cannot have as a mount. In particular, things like the Warbeast template, the Lords of Madness slave rules, and the DMGII mercenary rules allow you to set a price to basically anything.

Basically, you can muck about with that sort of setup, doing some twisted form of CR optimization, or you can go for a mount with an explicit cost. Aside from a few Eberronian dinosaurs and FR Underdark beasties, pretty much all your options with intentional fixed costs are in Arms and Equipment Guide. Those, for the most part, require you to buy the animal young and then have it trained, and probably need to be retrofitted for the 3.5 Handle Animal rules.

Luckily, a few of these were updated in the Races Of books. Races of Stone has Bulettes, but they cost 16,500gp, plus an additional 20 a month, so they're out of your price range.

There are a couple of other options there, but it really depends on your level. If you buy a mount that's too weak, it will just get squished.

Doomboy911
2013-08-14, 05:33 PM
So I'm rocking a barbarian and I'm thinking a giant preying mantis might be right. It has a decent fly speed and I can just buff him with some magical items. I figured with a price of 700 gold pieces in total with improved grab he was pretty good but I'm looking further.

I'm bothered that elephants are so cheap. Anywho perhaps I can convince the dm to allow me a larger version of the praying mantis because the low health is an issue. If I had more cash I'd totally half an owl bear. Just fits well with a barbarian.

Last thing I need is a good tracking animal.

Sajiri
2013-08-14, 08:38 PM
I forget the name of it (I'm at work so don't have access to books to check up on details atm) but there was a flying stone-wolf looking monster in Forgotten Realms Underdark? That specifically said they could be used as mounts I believe. They could move through stone, I forget if it allowed the rider with it though.

Probably intended to be an underdark-only mount, but I always thought they were pretty damn cool.

Doomboy911
2013-08-14, 10:38 PM
I forget the name of it (I'm at work so don't have access to books to check up on details atm) but there was a flying stone-wolf looking monster in Forgotten Realms Underdark? That specifically said they could be used as mounts I believe. They could move through stone, I forget if it allowed the rider with it though.

Probably intended to be an underdark-only mount, but I always thought they were pretty damn cool.

I think I'd prefer it if it didn't allow the player to pass through stone. It would be lovely to see.

WHAP!
"No wonder it was so cheap"

Sajiri
2013-08-15, 01:05 AM
The mount gets terrified and tries to make it's exit, darting through the rock wall beside it, while it's rider falls to the ground after getting a face full of rock and then is surrounded by angry, I dunno, orcs or something.

"Come back here you traitorous dog!"

Darrin
2013-08-15, 09:57 AM

Stone Flyer (FR Underdark). It has Earth Glide (Ex) and Earth Glide Rider (Ex). It's essentially a "no clipping" cheat code for dungeons.

If your budget is 2000 GP, then that's enough to buy a 25HD Warbeast (MMII). Hmm... biggest animals I can find without going over is 20HD: Legendary Bear (ELH), Spinosaurus (MMII) or Dire Elephant (MMII). Legendary Tiger (26HD, +1 for Warbeast) would be 2125 GP. Gwuh... damn, warbeasts are cheap.

Wait a minute... Dire Elephants have a 10' climb speed?!?!?! WTF? "Horton Hatches the Egg" indeed!

Doomboy911
2013-08-15, 11:17 AM
Looked into stone flyer costs 12,500 which includes the training, bit of a deal breaker. Especially considering I only have 2,400 gold left. I'm having some difficulty finding the warbeast template. A warbeast elephant sounds fun but so does a rhino. If only I could pick up a warbeast hippo, those things are vicious.

Alright need wise, I need something that can take a beating since I'm on the front line, I'd prefer something that isn't humoungus since I'd need to take this into some dungeons and such. Finally a second type of movement would be great. Flight preferred but burrowing is good too.

Darrin
2013-08-15, 11:37 AM
I'm having some difficulty finding the warbeast template.

Monster Manual II p. 219.

A warbeast elephant sounds fun but so does a rhino. If only I could pick up a warbeast hippo, those things are vicious.

Warbeast Dire Elephant is 21HD (1675 GP), 304 HP, and has a respectable Full Attack of slam/stamp/stamp, but at 30' is a bit slow for a mount. However, Trample = 4d6+22!

Warbeast Dire Rhino is 18HD (1450 GP), 242 HP, and only a single Gore attack, but it crits on 17-20. Same speed as the dire elephant, but trample is only 2d12+15.

Warbeast Dire Hippo is 19HD (1525 GP), 218 HP, single bite attack but it does get Improved Grab. No trample, though.

Warbeast Legendary Tiger is 27HD (2125 GP), 310 HP, claw/claw/bite but also gets Pounce, Improved Grab, and Rake. Speed 50', so fast enough to actually outpace a humanoid on foot. Also, it's large-sized instead of huge.

Doomboy911
2013-08-15, 12:22 PM
I think a dire wolf warbeast would work. It has a couple bonuses to skills I'll be using and it does trip attacks which my character will be doing as well.

I'm also grabbing the amber amulet of giant wasp for some quick flying.