PDA

View Full Version : Dump questions about Warlock's Eldrich blast.

Kerilstrasz
2013-08-14, 02:36 PM
Hey there..

The book doesn't say what kind of action EB is so i guess it is a standard action.
so..
1) Since it is considered a weapon when it comes to feats.. can i use TWF with it? 2 EB with -2 on each hit? (it doesn't say anything about how many times i can use it per turn.)
1b) What about rapid shot?
1c) if 1a & 1b are true, as lvl1 human warlock i shoot 3 EB with -4 each?
2) Do i need to "shoot" EB with my hand? what about with feet? eyes?
3) Assume i have TWF & holding a hand xbow.. can i use both as normal?

Lateral
2013-08-14, 02:47 PM
Hey there..

The book doesn't say what kind of action EB is so i guess it is a standard action.
so..
1) Since it is considered a weapon when it comes to feats.. can i use TWF with it? 2 EB with -2 on each hit? (it doesn't say anything about how many times i can use it per turn.)
Eldritch Blast is considered a weapon for certain feats, but it is not a weapon. It's a supernatural ability that takes a standard action to activate. To use TWF, you need to full attack, and you can't full attack with an Eldritch Blast.

1b) What about rapid shot?
Same as the above.

1c) if 1a & 1b are true, as lvl1 human warlock i shoot 3 EB with -4 each?
If 1a and 1b were true, then yes, but they aren't.

2) Do i need to "shoot" EB with my hand? what about with feet? eyes?
I don't believe it's ever specified, so yeah, fluff it however you want.

3) Assume i have TWF & holding a hand xbow.. can i use both as normal?
No, for the same reason as 1a and 1b.

Chronos
2013-08-14, 02:58 PM
If you use the Eldritch Glaive blast shape, from Dragon Magic, then you can make full attacks with your blast. You still can't two-weapon fight with just your blast, since it's only one weapon, but you could presumably two-weapon with the blast and some other weapon.

You're right that the standard EB doesn't have a limit on how many times you can use it per turn, so if you somehow get extra standard actions, you could use it multiple times during your turn. This isn't a full attack, though, it's just using multiple actions.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-14, 03:00 PM
Eldritch Blast is considered a weapon for certain feats, but it is not a weapon. It's a supernatural ability that takes a standard action to activate. To use TWF, you need to full attack, and you can't full attack with an Eldritch Blast.

Same as the above.

If 1a and 1b were true, then yes, but they aren't.

I don't believe it's ever specified, so yeah, fluff it however you want.

No, for the same reason as 1a and 1b.

Eldritch Blast is a spell-like ability, not a supernatural ability, otherwise Lateral is right.

lsfreak
2013-08-14, 03:08 PM
If you use the Eldritch Glaive blast shape, from Dragon Magic, then you can make full attacks with your blast.

This seems to be how everyone takes it, and I'd houserule it as such, but that's not what the ability says. It is its own full-round action, never references full-attacking but rather allows bonus attacks for high BAB, and cannot be combined with other attacks (nor with charging, as I often see suggested).

Lord Vukodlak
2013-08-14, 04:12 PM
This seems to be how everyone takes it, and I'd houserule it as such, but that's not what the ability says. It is its own full-round action, never references full-attacking but rather allows bonus attacks for high BAB, and cannot be combined with other attacks (nor with charging, as I often see suggested).

And probably not haste either.

Kerilstrasz
2013-08-14, 07:14 PM
... but rather allows bonus attacks for high BAB...

uhm... do i get this right?
if i have +6/+1 BaB i shoot 2 EB? or i can EB plus an attack with another weap?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-14, 07:17 PM
No. Eldrich Blast is a spell-like ability useable as a standard action. It requires an attack roll, but it's not an attack-- think acid arrow, not longbow.

Segev
2013-08-14, 07:18 PM
No. Not at all.

Eldrich Blast, by itself, is a standard action. You do not get iteratives; you are not making a full attack.

Eldrich Glaive, the Blast Shape Invocation out of Complete Mage, specifically lets you take a full round action to attack with it as a reach weapon, count as armed until your next action, and get attacks as if you were full attacking with iteratives. It is not, however, actually a full attack, and it is unique in that it lets you do this with the Eldrich Blast, which is otherwise a standard action for one shot.