PDA

View Full Version : Randomly Determined Maneuvers - Crusaders

Auramis
2013-08-14, 04:18 PM
So, Crusader maneuvers are randomly determined on which ones he has available. My brother was confused as to how you go about randomly determining which ones you have at the moment, and I gave an example by rolling dice, but my brother feels like there should be a better way to go about it.

How do you guys go about randomly determining which ones are available?

AmberVael
2013-08-14, 04:20 PM
I think I've heard of someone using notecards. Write down all your maneuvers, shuffle them, pick them from the top as needed.

Auramis
2013-08-14, 04:23 PM
I think I've heard of someone using notecards. Write down all your maneuvers, shuffle them, pick them from the top as needed.

That sounds MUCH easier to deal with over dice. Great idea on their part.

Humble Master
2013-08-14, 04:34 PM
I think I've heard of someone using notecards. Write down all your maneuvers, shuffle them, pick them from the top as needed. I second this. You can also write down the crunch on the maneuver so you have it on hand.

Beleron
2013-08-14, 04:46 PM
Common MTG cards are even better.

Segev
2013-08-14, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I have to agree that cards are the way to go.

Jurai
2013-08-14, 05:05 PM
Wizards released printable maneuver cards.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a

They have color cards, simple cards, as well as cards for each individual discipline.

Ketiara
2013-08-14, 05:16 PM

They have color cards, simple cards, as well as cards for each individual discipline.

I use this, laminated, and cut out to be like a little deck of cards. Then souffle and you are gold!

Auramis
2013-08-14, 05:53 PM

Big thanks, mate. I'll print these out later. :)

ramrod
2013-08-14, 06:49 PM
I use cards for my swordsage and they are handy as heck. Swordsage's have access to so many maneuvers that there are thousands of potential permutations for combat, especially when you take into account the variety of play styles open to a hidey, tanky, jumpy, backstabbing, unarmed, spiked chain swishing, invisible teleporter. The cards allow me to run drills, I can still find new ways of mixing them up even after hours of timkerin and remixing!

However, I still think that dice are just more accurate than shuffling a few cards. If you have 11 maneuvers to pick from, d12 and ignore the 12. You soon learn the order of your maneuvers, or have a cheat sheet card.

I only say this because you can almost guarantee that you'll shuffle a similar way a lot of the time and that maneuver you want will come up more or less often!

Icewraith
2013-08-14, 06:58 PM
Shuffle some blank cards in with your maneuver stack and then just draw until you get something that's actually a maneuver. It's difficult to shuffle small numbers of cards well.

Humble Master
2013-08-14, 06:58 PM

They have color cards, simple cards, as well as cards for each individual discipline. These are great! Thanks for posting them, I will definitely be using them!

Maginomicon
2013-08-14, 07:03 PM

This works if you have more than 2-3 maneuvers available, but for the first 3 or so you should probably stick to writing out the crunch on notecards and using a coin or die for the randomness.

Gigas Breaker
2013-08-14, 07:15 PM
Crusaders start with five. Cards work best as the pool of maneuvers you pull from shrinks each round.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-14, 07:41 PM
For face to face games, cards are best.

I've only gotten to play Crusaders in online games, so for that, I list my prepared maneuvers in a particular order (usually alphabetically) and show the DM. Then, I roll dice, decrementing the die # by one each time. For example, say I had 3 maneuvers granted and 5 readied, and they were the following:

Battle Leader's Charge
Douse the Flames
Leading the Attack
Mountain Hammer
Shield Block

When combat starts, I'd roll a d5, a d4, and then a d3. 1 = the first maneuver in that list, on down to the last for the highest die number. Any that have already been granted get skipped. Next round I'd roll a d2. Once it gets down to a d1 (which obviously isn't necessary to roll...), I take the last remaining maneuver. Then, the whole process repeats the next round, starting over with a d5, d4, and d3.

I'm sure you could design some fancy macro that is coded to not draw the same maneuver until all have been randomly drawn, but the above is simple and works just fine.