PDA

View Full Version : Checks for poisoining objects?

timbrigham
2013-08-14, 08:23 PM
I'm playing a rogue for the first time after generally playing casters. I'd really like to be able to sneak around and apply poisons to objects - tables, door knobs, the hilts of swords, etc. I'm familiar enough with the move silently / hide / cover / etc requried to be able to do this before a fight.

What I'm not quite sure on is the kind of rolls and therefore skill ranks I'd need in order to be able to apply poisons like this. Would it be trapmaking for general stuff like doorknobs / chairs, etc? What about trying to apply poisons to to weapons? Weapons on a rack vs weapons sitting at the head of a bedroll vs one being carried?

Books and page number references would be much appreciated.

Hamste
2013-08-14, 08:36 PM
You can apply poison to anything (note you want a contact poison). Unless if you have the feats or class ability though you will have a 5% chance of poisoning yourself every time you apply poison.

Need_A_Life
2013-08-15, 12:07 AM
Without the Poison Use ability, it's an unmodified d20 roll. On a natural 1 you poison yourself. Now, Poison Use is fairly trivial to get, so that's something, at least.
Thing is? It's not going to be particularly effective.

Let's say the Cleric/Fighter/whatever in their full-plate touches the doorknob you've cleverly poisoned to open the door. That part of your plan worked without a hitch; they suspected nothing. They are however wearing full-plate, which includes metal gaunlets. You're down some gold and they're entirely unharmed.
Poisoning a spell component pouch would probably be worth it, though; arcane casters are rarely armoured and rarely bother spending a Feat to replace a trivially cheap item like that.

Now, a triggered rune on the doorknob to cast Create Pit would be hilarious at least, even if it's still a very suboptimal strategy.