PDA

View Full Version : Twisting Fate?

aphoticConniver
2013-08-14, 08:37 PM
Hey there forums! My character was, recently, put out of commission by a nat 1 on a massive damage save. I've been looking at new ideas, and since I play League of Legends, one of my favorite champions came to mind: Twisted Fate.

The key mechanical parts seem to be the throwing cards themselves, his "luck dice" passive, and his teleporting ability. Any suggestions on what I could do? The cards and what class to use are what is stumping me, particularly.

Frosty
2013-08-14, 08:42 PM
There are a few luck-based classes in 3.5. You'll want to look at those first. you'll also want to be a caster.

Eric Scott
2013-08-14, 08:51 PM
There is a Soul Meld in Magic of Incarnum called Lucky Dice...

Edit: For the throwing cards you could use refluffed daggers...

Diovid
2013-08-15, 03:53 AM
The Luckstealer prc is from Races of the Wild. Halfling-only (Glimmerskin Halflings from Dragon Magic fit I guess). I can't remember if it's adaptation section mentions non-Halfling Luckstealers (but you could always ask your DM). Don't forget to read the note in Complete Scoundrel about how the Luckstealer and Luck feats interact.

Speaking of Complete Scoundrel, not only does it have Luck feats, it also includes the Fortune's Friend prc.

Take both prcs and enter with either the Bard or the Trickster variant Spellthief I guess.

Krazzman
2013-08-15, 04:13 AM
YOu probably need the feat to get Blink Shirt for simulating Flash or having Dimension Door on your spell list.

I would probably go for Chaos Monk 1/something Psionic with Tashalatora and maybe adding master thrower to it.

Maybe search for Gambit builds as Gambit is a slight bit similar to Twisted Fate.

Or Incarnate with good Melds/Psion into Saphire Hierrarch (or however that dual progression PrC is called).

Melds to get:
Blink Shirt
something that can stun

Powers to get:
something that stuns
some teleport

Then add a custom magic item of Throwing Card Deck to this character. Work with the DM here.

I think someone used Exlosive runes on Throwing Cards for Gambit. Don't know if a Psion can get that. Else you could possibly take the Shaping/Caster dual progression PrC from MoI.

Hope this helps.

Octopus Jack
2013-08-15, 04:23 AM
Hey there forums! My character was, recently, put out of commission by a nat 1 on a massive damage save. I've been looking at new ideas, and since I play League of Legends, one of my favorite champions came to mind: Twisted Fate.

The key mechanical parts seem to be the throwing cards themselves, his "luck dice" passive, and his teleporting ability. Any suggestions on what I could do? The cards and what class to use are what is stumping me, particularly.

I think a sorcerer going into fatespinner could thematically fit him very well, for the red/blue/gold card possibly refluffed orb/lesser orb spells maybe fire for gold card with the stun being replaced with dazed as IIRC that's the closest effect we can get to the stun, Force could be blue card as there's not really much that comes to mind that restores spell slots with damage and I'm a little stumped for a damage AoE slow that thematically fits for red card bar maybe a very very refluffed fog spell.

For his teleport you can either have dimension door as a spell or alternatively use some feats to get blink shirt from magic of Incarnum bound to you so you can have it as a move action but that depends on your level and availability of both feats and books you can use.

I'm struggling to think of things for Wild Cards and Stacked Deck, Wild cards could possibly be a scorching ray refluffed for the multiple targets but then again that doesn't really fit the 3 line aoe theme. If you go for the earlier "refluff daggers as cards" then Whirling Blade gives you a card being thrown along one line striking everything it hits with your Cha added to attack and damage rolls.

As I said at the start of my post Fatespinner very thematically fits him however it doesn't really fit his in game abilities.

Krazzman
2013-08-15, 04:25 AM
Duskblade 3 get's channeling spell. Can a DUskblade use this on Thrown Weapons like Shuriken?

Octopus Jack
2013-08-15, 04:29 AM
Duskblade 3 get's channeling spell. Can a DUskblade use this on Thrown Weapons like Shuriken?

'Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee attack.' Looks like as written you can't but it'd hardly be game breaking (I think) to allow it to work for thrown attacks.

Krazzman
2013-08-15, 04:41 AM
'Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee attack.' Looks like as written you can't but it'd hardly be game breaking (I think) to allow it to work for thrown attacks.

Duskblade 3/Bloodstorm Blade. :smallcool:

FireGriver
2013-08-15, 05:57 AM
I think a sorcerer going into fatespinner could thematically fit him very well, for the red/blue/gold card possibly refluffed orb/lesser orb spells maybe fire for gold card with the stun being replaced with dazed as IIRC that's the closest effect we can get to the stun, Force could be blue card as there's not really much that comes to mind that restores spell slots with damage and I'm a little stumped for a damage AoE slow that thematically fits for red card bar maybe a very very refluffed fog spell.

For his teleport you can either have dimension door as a spell or alternatively use some feats to get blink shirt from magic of Incarnum bound to you so you can have it as a move action but that depends on your level and availability of both feats and books you can use.

I'm struggling to think of things for Wild Cards and Stacked Deck, Wild cards could possibly be a scorching ray refluffed for the multiple targets but then again that doesn't really fit the 3 line aoe theme. If you go for the earlier "refluff daggers as cards" then Whirling Blade gives you a card being thrown along one line striking everything it hits with your Cha added to attack and damage rolls.

As I said at the start of my post Fatespinner very thematically fits him however it doesn't really fit his in game abilities.

This all the way, but instead of Sorcerer, Wizard with abrupt jaunt for the teleport. Fatespinner fits really well, let you reroll dices and has other goodies.

aphoticConniver
2013-08-15, 10:43 AM
I know I'm absolutely going to be focusing on the card-throwing, and Master Thrower with Palm Throw and Weak Spot is just ridiculous. I'm just not sure of which class to use to get there. Duskblade seems good, but the spell list seems lacking, and while fighter has the bonus feats I can use the hell out of for ranged attacks, the high HP doesn't really fit with the character concept.

dysprosium
2013-08-15, 11:46 AM
Since you seem to be favoring the non-caster or small caster entries you could look at the prestige classes from the Planar Handbook -- the Fatemaker in particular.

But definitely look into all of the Luck Feats from Complete Scoundrel

Fax Celestis
2013-08-15, 11:52 AM
The Luckstealer prc is from Races of the Wild. Halfling-only (Glimmerskin Halflings from Dragon Magic fit I guess). I can't remember if it's adaptation section mentions non-Halfling Luckstealers (but you could always ask your DM). Don't forget to read the note in Complete Scoundrel about how the Luckstealer and Luck feats interact.

Speaking of Complete Scoundrel, not only does it have Luck feats, it also includes the Fortune's Friend prc.

Take both prcs and enter with either the Bard or the Trickster variant Spellthief I guess.

I like a hexblade entry myself.

Edge of Dreams
2013-08-15, 11:53 AM
Pathfinder specifically has a feat that lets you throw cards as if they were darts: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/deadly-dealer

And a class based around being a fortune teller with a 'harrow' deck (basically tarot re-flavored to fit PF and avoid referring to real life directly): http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harrower

I'd bet that one of those and/or related material could be adapted for what you're trying to do.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-15, 03:26 PM
If a character has a Luck Blade, even with 0 Wishes remaining, in his possession (not necessarily wielding), he gets a 1/day luck reroll.

Lucky weapons (+1, MiC page 38) let you reroll a failed attack roll once per day. I think you can enchant your shurikens throwing cards with this (?), which would be pretty beastly since you basically get to reroll 50 misses a day (but only 1 per attack). Just keep good track of which ones already used the reroll :smallbiggrin:

So I imagine one would get 50 +1 Lucky Returning Shurken Throwing Cards for 18k. You still need two cards for a standard deck. You could either get two more such cards at 180 gold each, or make the Joker cards something unique. If this thing works by RAW, it could be a pretty solid throwing card deck.

Temotei
2013-08-15, 03:31 PM

Duskblade 3/Bloodstorm Blade. :smallcool:

If homebrew is allowed, let's raise the stakes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9186186&postcount=1).

Slipperychicken
2013-08-15, 03:47 PM
Also, for teleportation, an Anklet of Translocation (MiC 71) is only 1,400gp. Gives you 2/day swift action teleport up to 10 feet. Not as powerful as the Immediate action Abrupt Jaunt, but still has its uses. Like you could use the anklet on your turn, then pop an Abrupt Jaunt immediately afterward if you absolutely need to move 20ft farther than your move speed allows.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-15, 03:47 PM
So I imagine one would get 50 +1 Lucky Returning Shurken Throwing Cards for 18k. You still need two cards for a standard deck. You could either get two more such cards at 180 gold each, or make the Joker cards something unique. If this thing works by RAW, it could be a pretty solid throwing card deck.

Pedantman to the rescue!

A standard poker deck is 54 cards! 13 to a suit, plus two jokers! A standard pinochle deck is 48 cards! Two each of Ace through 9 in each suit!

BornValyrian
2013-08-15, 07:44 PM
I actually took a different route. Warlock can get you what you need. Refluff your eldritch blast as cards being thrown, Dark One's Own Luck for being lucky, essences take the form of different suits, and flee the scene gets you at will dimension doors

The other idea I had was a soulbow, but that's not exactly a great idea...

Akal Saris
2013-08-15, 11:15 PM
Pedantman to the rescue!

A standard poker deck is 54 cards! 13 to a suit, plus two jokers! A standard pinochle deck is 48 cards! Two each of Ace through 9 in each suit!

Thanks, Pedantman! You spoke the words that were in our minds!

Fax Celestis
2013-08-16, 08:36 AM
Thanks, Pedantman! You spoke the words that were in our minds!

http://i.imgur.com/zkVJwNp.jpg?1

You're welcome, citizen! Pedantman awaaaaaaay!