PDA

View Full Version : Foster Dragon

geekintheground
2013-08-14, 10:54 PM
when you take the 5th level of the Dracolyte prestige class (draconomicon) you get a wyrmling dragon to accompany you. it says you are "entrusted with it's care."

my question is: does it stay with you after it becomes "very young"? if not, can it be replaced?

Nettlekid
2013-08-14, 11:00 PM
Since the Wyrming can't gain new levels, I think it suggests that it can't gain any new racial HD and so even if its actual age suggests it, it can't ever properly become a Very Young dragon statwise and mechanically. Perhaps being with a nondragon has stunted its growth in a way that wouldn't have happened if it had grown up on its own.

But if your DM does allow it to gain RHD with age alone, then I think that being entrusted with the care of that particular baby dragon means that it stays with you regardless, now and forever. But the DM might make you supply a hoard based on its HD, like you do for other dragon allies (I think Dragon Steed has something about that...or maybe it's Draconic Cohort or something.)

geekintheground
2013-08-14, 11:10 PM
my take on the "no levels thing" was just so it couldnt take any class levels, though i was thoroughly unsure so i came here. thank you, i'll discuss it with him