PDA

View Full Version : Assorted Questions

Crazy Cupcake
2013-08-14, 11:30 PM
It's been a very long time since I've played a non-spellcaster in D&D, but recently I've decided to give it a go. Unfortunately, I've either forgotten or simply can't find the answers to a few of the more martial-oriented questions I've run into. I was hoping some of you could help me out.

1. Threatened Squares: Say I'm playing a Warblade with the Improved Unarmed Combat feat and wielding a Glaive. First, can I still make unarmed strikes even though I'm wielding a two-handed weapon (I believe I can)? Second, and if so, am I actively threatening both adjacent squares and those I can reach with my glaive? And third, if I do gain an attack of opportunity against an adjacent foe, do I have to attack with my unarmed strike or am I free to use my glaive?

2. Maneuvering: Assume the above character has the Sudden Leap maneuver. Jumping is limited by your normal movement range if I'm not mistaking. If you use a move action to move your full distance, can you still use Sudden Leap to move further still? What about using your standard action to make another Jump check?

3. Oddities of Reach: As a callback to the first question, say the Warblade also has the Wolf Fang Strike maneuver. What happens when you have Improved Unarmed Strike and a reach weapon and are attacking someone at your maximum reach? Do you still get the unarmed strike as per the maneuver, or are you screwed because they're out of range?

Thanks in advance!

Xervous
2013-08-14, 11:37 PM
1. Yes, unarmed strikes may be made with any part of the body. Yes you threaten. But you must make the attack with a weapon that threatens the square.

2. IDK

3. You're screwed, out of range.

Crazy Cupcake
2013-08-15, 02:50 PM
Regarding your answer to #3, does that apply even when a specific rule like Wolf Fang Strike states otherwise? It just lists a range of "melee attack," and the text has no mention of requiring non-reach weapons.

Aegis013
2013-08-15, 03:52 PM
2. Maneuvering: Assume the above character has the Sudden Leap maneuver. Jumping is limited by your normal movement range if I'm not mistaking. If you use a move action to move your full distance, can you still use Sudden Leap to move further still? What about using your standard action to make another Jump check?

Thanks in advance!

The maneuver Sudden Leap specifically says you make this movement as a swift and move the distance determined by the result. So this specific text regarding this ability will overrule Jump's general rule of ending your turn and completing the jump on the next turn if you ran out of movement.

On the follow up to 3, you can ask your DM, but since Wolf Fang Strike doesn't address this specifically, the general rules of reach will still apply.