PDA

View Full Version : Ways to fly with a heavier load?

flamewolf393
2013-08-15, 01:10 AM
I hate the rule that says you can only fly with a light load, even with magical flight. I have a flying character of the air subtype. I have a strength of 8, which means I can only carry 26 lbs and still fly. How can I get around this? Are there any varient rules, items, or feats for it?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-15, 02:29 AM
The Easy Travel enchantment lets you treat a medium load as a light load.
The Belt of the Wide Earth doubles your carrying capacity.
Both are found in the MIC.

Darrin
2013-08-15, 08:58 AM
The flight rules are a bit of a mess. Every spell/feat/effect that grants flight tends to word things a little differently. The Core rules never actually state what happens when you try to fly while encumbered, so it's not clear if your movement is reduced or completely prevented. MM p. 312 states:

Fly: A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load; see Carrying Capacity, page 161 of the Player’s Handbook. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.)

Since this references p. 161 in the PHB, it looks like your fly speed is only reduced if you're carrying a heavy or medium load. Unless the text of your fly effect states something different.

Overland Flight spell (Core): 40' for a light load, or 30' for a medium/heavy load or wearing medium/heavy armor.

Fly spell (Core): 60' for a light load, 40' for a medium/heavy load or wearing medium/heavy armor.

Dragonborn of Bahumant (RotD): 30' fly speed, can't fly with a medium/heavy load or if fatigued/exhausted. No mention of armor, so use PHB p. 161 for reduced movement in armor.

Improved Dragon Wings feat (RotD): same as Dragonborn of Bahumat.

Raptoran racial flight (RotW): 40' fly speed, but otherwise the same as Dragonborn of Bahumat.

Avariel (Races of Faerun): 50' fly speed, can't fly with a heavy load, wearing heavy armor, fatigued, or exhausted. Medium load/armor is apparently OK, but probably reduced as per PHB p. 161.

Outsider Wings feat (Races of Faerun): Fly speed = land speed. Medium or heavy load reduces your speed as per PHB p. 161. No mention of armor/fatigue/exhaustion.

Air Mephling (Planar Handbook): 10' perfect, no mention of any restrictions on load/armor/etc. Presumably, a medium/heavy load or medium/heavy armor would reduce your speed to 5' perfect, as per PHB p. 161.

Airstep Sandals soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum): 10' + 10'/essentia, bound to your feet chakra you get perfect maneuverability. No mention of any restrictions.

Manticore Belt soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum): 10'/essentia + Flyby attack. No mention of any restrictions, although maneuverability is "clumsy".

Pegasus Cloak soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum): 10'/essentia, average maneuverability. No mention of any restrictions.

Dragon Mantle soulmeld (Dragon Magic): 10'/essentia, poor maneuverability, but you must end your move on a solid surface or fall. No mention of any restrictions.

Shloogorgh
2013-08-15, 09:42 AM
Races of the Dragon has the feats Reinforced Wings and Heavyweight Wings, which let you fly with a medium or heavy load, respectively

Edit: but you'll need a higher strength to qualify unfortunately

flamewolf393
2013-08-15, 12:59 PM
The Easy Travel enchantment lets you treat a medium load as a light load.
The Belt of the Wide Earth doubles your carrying capacity.
Both are found in the MIC.

I cant find that belt anywhere in the MIC, nor can I find it on any SRD site. Any chance of a page number or a link?

Darrin
2013-08-15, 01:19 PM
I cant find that belt anywhere in the MIC, nor can I find it on any SRD site. Any chance of a page number or a link?

Page 204, part of the Raiment of the Four.

flamewolf393
2013-08-15, 02:19 PM
Looks interesting. Wonder how much it would cost without the teleport ability?

Splendor
2013-08-17, 10:11 PM
Natural Heavyweight Feat doubles your carrying capacity (Planar Handbook), which would give you 52lbs.

Tooth of Dahlver-Nar (Savnok) is a 2,000gp magical item that allows you to move your full speed when carrying a heavy load (tome of magic). I would say that affects flying too.

The wizards of the coast free D&D adventure 'A Dark and Stormy Night' had a magical items called a 'Lifting Belt' That increased your STR by +1 for the purposes of carrying capacity. Only 500gp. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20050329a)

If your DM says the Tooth doesn't work for flying, you can take Natural Heavy Weight feat + Lifting Belt and be able to fly with 60lbs. Not enough to carry anyone above small size, but enough for a bag of holdings.

Carrying capacity is also modified by size and the number of legs you have.

Just a side note the feat 'Air Heritage' in the planar book increases your natural fly speed by +30.

Edited: Also found a spell in dragon magazine 317 called 'Lighten Load'. 2nd level cleric, duration is 1 hr/lv, +1 STR per level for the purpose of carrying capacity. 5th level caster would increase your STR to 13 for carrying capacity, add the lifting belt and Natural Heavyweight; you could lift 100 lbs and still fly.

Grayson01
2013-08-17, 10:41 PM
A Large Magic Carpet!