PDA

View Full Version : What class/Prc to take at lvl 12?

Cozod
2013-08-15, 02:20 AM
Just hit lvl 11 tonight, Mystic Ranger 10/Wizard 1. I have Sword of the Arcane Order. I have no idea where to take this character.

I want to keep up my pew pewing with my bow, but i want more spells and higher lvl spells. Only thing i can think of is to gain bardic music (warrior skald [waste of 2 feats for ranged] or bard) and go sublime chord. I guess any class that has a way for me to gain spells above 5th lvl.

I have Draconic Polymorph in my spellbook and I'm an outsider, if that opens up any options.

Xerlith
2013-08-15, 04:33 AM
Sublime chord/abjurant champion?
you cannot really make anything out of the Wizard, since you won't have spells of a level higher than 5th if you stay in a standard-progression class.
Sublime chord is also a bit suboptimal, since your Mystic Ranger casting goes off Int. You could (should?) retrain the wizard level, probably (or not, if your DM is strictly against you having a spellbook without being a wizard. Since it's just an item, you know.)
How high is your Cha?

SolioFebalas
2013-08-15, 05:56 AM
Swiftblade. Straight 9 lvl and you can make an extra Greater Manyshot in addition to your full attack plus another 6 Effective Caster Levels and full BAB progression.

Xerlith
2013-08-15, 06:00 AM
The swiftblade is something I'd straight suggest if not for the fact the OP wanted to have higher-level spells. If it's not a requirement, for a more martial-oriented class, the Swiftblade is great. The downside is that it requires dodge and mobility. Also, it always seemed to have more synergy with melee characters to me.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-15, 06:05 AM
Also, it always seemed to have more synergy with melee characters to me.

Yea, to me too. But not a lot of prestige classes with the full BAB (for shooting) and progress in spellcasting while specializing in shooting.
As you mentioned abowe, abjurant champion fits good enough.

Yet another variant. Take Nar Demonbinder 2/Abjurant champion 5 and you get 8lvl spells. But choice of spells very poor.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-15, 06:27 AM
Swiftblade would be worth it for the 9th level ability alone. Getting a more or less worthwhile ability every level is just a bonus.
If your DM allows Dark Chaos Shuffle you can switch out Spring Attack and Bounding Assault to make up for having to take Dodge and Mobility.

If you're set on more spells Chameleon could be an option. You'd only get 6th level spells but from any list you want in addition to +4 to two abilities and the floating bonus feat.

Cozod
2013-08-15, 10:00 AM
Sublime chord/abjurant champion?
you cannot really make anything out of the Wizard, since you won't have spells of a level higher than 5th if you stay in a standard-progression class.
Sublime chord is also a bit suboptimal, since your Mystic Ranger casting goes off Int. You could (should?) retrain the wizard level, probably (or not, if your DM is strictly against you having a spellbook without being a wizard. Since it's just an item, you know.)
How high is your Cha?

Sublime/abjur champ looks good. I'd have to snag bardic music first. I don't think my DM would have an issue with retraining wizard, and he made it clear that there was a psion with Psychic Reformation nearby that needs help with something. Cha is only 12, but i have the funds to fix that.

Would I just retrain wizard into bard, then take sublime/abjur/x and call it a day?

Swiftblade looks cool, but it does seem awfully melee focused. Nar demon binder looks neat too, the non-good part is a problem. probably should have mentioned that.

Rebel7284
2013-08-15, 10:23 AM
You could also go into Divine Crusader. It's an interesting class, if a bit... inflexible in spell choices. If you can snag up a few extra domains, it gets better, but messes with your BAB. If you can retrain the last level, you can get all 10 levels of it too!

Overall, it's probably somewhat weaker than Sublime Chord. :)

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-15, 10:31 AM
Yet another variant. Take Nar Demonbinder 2/Abjurant champion 5 and you get 8lvl spells. But choice of spells very poor.
I was just coming to suggest Nar Demonbinder. There is a way to get more spells on the Nar Demonbinder list, though not optimal for a Gish type.

Fiend-Blooded from Heroes of Horror. Over 9 levels it gives you 4 extra spells known. The spells must have the [Fire] descriptor, or be from the schools of necromancy, enchantment, or illusion, but they don't even have to normally be an arcane spell.

Consumptive Field on a sorcerer-ish character? Yes, please!

Cozod
2013-08-15, 11:18 AM
You could also go into Divine Crusader. It's an interesting class, if a bit... inflexible in spell choices. If you can snag up a few extra domains, it gets better, but messes with your BAB. If you can retrain the last level, you can get all 10 levels of it too!

The divine crusader is much more in flavor of my character than sublime chord. If I can't retrain wizard to bard, this may be an option.

Xerlith
2013-08-15, 12:44 PM
Now don't take me wrong, the Swiftblade makes a great skirmishing archer if built properly, it's just that it needs two useless (for an archer) feats to enter.
And, uh, if it's spells that you want, the Divine crusader... Isn't the best choice.

If the Cha-heavy stuff is ok and you don't need the nines, take a look at the Knight of the Weave prestige class. medium-BAB fast-progression class with its own casting.
Tops at 6th level spells, but has its own list. Also - has some fun caster-level shenanigans with a SotAO mystic ranger and Abjurant Champion.
Sadly you won't be able to utilize those.

Essentialy, you should ask the DM to retrain that wizard level as a KotW level. The fluff of the class should fit you perfectly.
Then, after the 2nd level go to town with some full-casting PrCs.

OR
just take this:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer, either for the wizard or (if you decide on it) KotW progression.
And screw the spellcasting.

Or (rambling mode on) retrain the whole last 6 levels (which will cost you some time and gold), going Mystic Ranger5/Wiz2/(PF)ArcaneArcher8/Abjurant5
19BAB, 19 caster level, 7th level Wizard casting, decent skirmish/melee ability (great AC), great archery... And it's far from a powerbuild.

Manly Man
2013-08-15, 01:10 PM
What would be the best choice, if you can convince your DM to allow some Pathfinder material, is their version of the Arcane Archer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer). You get spell progression, which would, if you dedicated them all to the Wizard spellcasting, net you fourth-level spells pre-epic, full BAB, good Fortitude and Reflex saves, and some very nifty abilities to tack onto your arrows.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-15, 01:11 PM

RAW, you can only cast one domain's spells out of your Divine Crusader slots. You can also, however, drink a Domain Draught (MIC) to help you with that.

Rebel7284
2013-08-15, 01:57 PM
RAW, you can only cast one domain's spells out of your Divine Crusader slots. You can also, however, drink a Domain Draught (MIC) to help you with that.

Dipping into Contemplative gives 1 (or eventually 2) extra domains. There is also Church Inquisitor, Divine Oracle, Seeker of the Misty Isle, and that Eberron PrC that worships a pantheon and gives a domain every level.

Also, taking the Spell domain allows you to use anyspell and greater anyspell in all your slots. :P

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-15, 01:59 PM

Runestaves might also be of use.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-15, 05:16 PM
Dipping into Contemplative gives 1 (or eventually 2) extra domains. There is also Church Inquisitor, Divine Oracle, Seeker of the Misty Isle, and that Eberron PrC that worships a pantheon and gives a domain every level.

Also, taking the Spell domain allows you to use anyspell and greater anyspell in all your slots. :P

Not quite - every single time they mention the word Domain, it is always singular. Meaning, by RAW, that they can only cast spells from the one.

Trust me - there was a big discussion about this in Iron chef: Divine Crusader.