PDA

View Full Version : Natural Shapeshifting and Feat Prereqs

Ruethgar
2013-08-15, 02:26 AM
If I am a natural shapeshifter, let's say a Hengeyokai(Dog), can I qualify for feats that my dog form meets the prerequisites for but my human form does not? I know that if I switch to human form I lose access to them, like how when a ranger wears heavy armor he loses combat style, but can I qualify for the feats in the first place?

bekeleven
2013-08-15, 03:34 AM
I think by RAW, you must meet the prereqs in your "natural" or "base" form.

Many GMs will let you take the feat anyway, but point you to the spot in the PHB where you lose the feat's benefit any time you do not meet the prereqs.

Ruethgar
2013-08-15, 03:53 AM
Which is the natural or base form of a tibbit? They are descended from cats, so would it be their cat form?

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-15, 09:18 AM
There are two takes on this.

A - You must qualify in your base form to take a feat

B - You may take any feat, but you loose the benefit if for any reason you fail to qualify at that moment.

Ruethgar
2013-08-15, 12:59 PM
I shifted his stats around so he can qualify for at least the first line of feats by humanoid form. It was feeling a little cheesy putting 8s in all physical stats and being a melee beast anyway.

Urpriest
2013-08-15, 01:06 PM
RAW, you can use the form to qualify for feats as long as you happen to level while in that form.

RAI, Druids can qualify for feats based on their forms' natural weapons, so you can qualify for feats based on your form.

bekeleven
2013-08-15, 04:18 PM
Which is the natural or base form of a tibbit? They are descended from cats, so would it be their cat form?

Tibbits (also known as catweres) are small, humanoid creatures that have the ability to turn into a common house cat.

The natural form is the small humanoid creature.

Hengeyokai are intelligent, shapechanging animals

I'd say the default for a Hengeyokai is the animal form, but it's more open to interpretation.

RAW, you can use the form to qualify for feats as long as you happen to level while in that form.

Technically true, since you meet the feat prerequisites when you take it, which is at the point when you level. In basically every campaign I've played, levelling takes place in your sleep (could you imagine everyone levelling mid-combat? dear lord) which means that this would work for forms you could hold presistently (or 1 hour/level at least).

That said, some RAI should enter here. Either you can take it regardless of current form but not gain benefits unless the form lets you, or you can only take it if your natural form qualifies. Anything in between is... iffy.