PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 PrC] Thrall of Pelor (Pelor, the Burning Hate) [Update][PEACH]

Xuldarinar
2013-08-15, 04:04 AM
THRALL OF PELOR
"In the name of the demon lord of the sun, I shall teach you the meaning of pain."
Kept hidden by wide spread misconceptions about the nature of Pelor, the thrall of Pelor is cruel individual. Delighting in inflicting pain and destroying the undead, they make dangerous foes to the living and the dead alike. Their skills with healing allow them to pass themselves off as standard clerics of Pelor, spreading his false faith where the truth is not welcome.

Hit Die: d6

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a thrall of Pelor, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any evil
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 2 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks
Feats: Thrall to Demon, Weapon Focus (Morning Star)
Special: New thralls are initiated through an hour long ritual that requires the sacrifice of an intelligent undead by means of fire while exposed to sunlight.

CLASS SKILLS
The thrall of Pelor’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (History)(Int), Knowledge (religion)(Int), Knowledge (the planes)(Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Table 1-1: The Thrall of Pelor
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2| Turn Undead, Pelor's Exception|-
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3| Cauterizing Touch |+1 level of existing spellcasting class
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3| Searing Turn, Pelor's Light |+1 level of existing spellcasting class
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4| The Burning |+1 level of existing spellcasting class
5th|+3|+4|+1|+4| Exalted Turning |+1 level of existing spellcasting class
6th|+4|+5|+2|+5| Pelor's Light |+1 level of existing spellcasting class
7th|+5|+5|+2|+5| Burning Foresight | +1 level of existing spellcasting class
8th|+6|+6|+2|+6| Sunburst |+1 level of existing spellcasting class
9th|+6|+6|+3|+6| Pelor's Light |+1 level of existing spellcasting class
10th|+7|+7|+3|+7| Light of Recovery |+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

CLASS FEATURES

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A thrall of Pelor gains no weapon nor armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At each level, with exception to first level, a thrall of Pelor gains spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if they had also gained a level in a casting class to which they belonged before adding the prestige class level. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If they had more than one casting class before becoming a thrall of Pelor, they must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

If the thrall of Pelor lacks levels in any applicable class, then each time they gain "+1 level of existing spellcasting class", then they are treated as having gained a level in cleric for the purposes of spells per day and caster level. They must select two domains associated with Pelor, but unlike a true cleric may only cast spells from these domains. Should they later gain levels in cleric, they do not gain access to any new domains and the thrall's class levels stack with the thrall's levels in cleric.

Turn Undead (Su): A thrall of Pelor gains the ability to turn undead. Their class level counts towards their effective turning level and does stack with other sources.

Pelor's Exception: A thrall of Pelor may cast good and evil spells regardless of the thrall's alignment. In addition, for the purpose of casting spells that are a part of domains associated with Pelor, treat the thrall of Pelor's character level as their caster level. In addition, the spell Searing Light gains the light descriptor.

Cauterizing Touch (Su): At Will, but no more than once per round, a thrall of Pelor may make a melee touch attack against a living foe that deals 1d8 points of fire damage +1 per even numbered level (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th).

Searing Turn (Su): A thrall of Pelor gains the ability to expend a turn attempt to deal 1d6 per effective turning level damage to every undead creature in 30 feet. Half of the damage is dealt as fire damage. Each affected undead can attempt a will save (DC 10 + effective turning level + your Cha modifier) for half damage.

Pelor's Light (Ex): At 3rd level, a thrall of Pelor may add a first level spell of the [Light] or [Fire] descriptor capable of dealing damage to their spells known. This spell may be from any spell list. At sixth level they may do this again with a spell of second level or lower, and at ninth level, a spell of third level or lower.

The Burning (Ex): At 4th level, a thrall of Pelor gets a +1 bonus to the save DC of any spell they cast with the [fire] or [light] descriptors. Furthermore, a Thrall of Pelor may choose to treat spells with the [light] descriptor as having the [fire] descriptor.

Exalted Turning: At 5th level, a thrall of Pelor gains Exalted Turning as a bonus feat, even though a thrall of Pelor would not normally qualify for it.

Burning Foresight (Su): At 7th level, once a day, a thrall of Pelor may engage in a ritual which requires burning a helpless intelligent creature with at least three hit die. Undead are normally chosen, but any intelligent creature will actually do. The ritual requires slowly burning them over the course of ten minutes. If necessary, to prolong the fire and agony of the victim, wet wool can be placed on the victim's chest. The thrall may gaze into the fire and smoke, whose patterns reveal secrets to the thrall. This effect duplicates either Divination, or Legend Lore (chosen at the start of the ritual).

Sunburst (Sp): At 8th level, once a day a thrall of Pelor may use Sunburst as a spell-like ability. The save DC is 18 + your wisdom modifier.

Light of Recovery: At 10th level, a thrall of Pelor learns to recover power from those destroyed by Pelor's purging light. Whenever a creature of at least 2 hit die is destroyed by a divine spell or spell-like ability they cast with the [light] descriptor, the thrall may recover a spell slot or prepared spell they have used in the last 24 hours. The slot level may not exceed half of the hit die of the creature destroyed, nor may it exceed the level of the spell used (or its effective level if it is a spell-like ability). If multiple creatures are destroyed this way with a single spell or spell-like ability, you may recover multiple spell slots.

Special: Upon entering the thrall of Pelor prestige class, you may ignore the alignment requirements for the following prestige classes for the purpose of gaining entry; Master of Radiance, Sacred Purifier, Radiant Servant of Pelor.

Morph Bark
2013-08-15, 05:11 AM
Knowing all the lore behind this, I am intensely amused. :smallbiggrin:

TKXapathy
2013-08-15, 05:17 AM
Special: The sacrifice of an intelligent undead by means of fire in daylight is required. Vampires are uncommon for this purpose due to their relatively quick death by this.

Wouldn't Vampires be a common choice for sacrifice because they provide their own fire under the daylight? ;)

Xuldarinar
2013-08-15, 05:35 AM
Knowing all the lore behind this, I am intensely amused. :smallbiggrin:

Im glad you are amused. I thought the concept would be appreciated.

Wouldn't Vampires be a common choice for sacrifice because they provide their own fire under the daylight? ;)

While you are right in this matter, the reason they would be uncommon is:

(MM entry): "Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can only take a single move action or attack at ion and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape."

I would think they would want something that would burn for a bit longer than ~10 seconds. But I do see your point on that.

Arcanist
2013-08-15, 05:56 AM
While you are right in this matter, the reason they would be uncommon is:

(MM entry): "Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can only take a single move action or attack at ion and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape."

I would think they would want something that would burn for a bit longer than ~10 seconds. But I do see your point on that.

It can be controlled sunlight exposure. Keep the creature bound and incapable of using it's abilities in an Antimagic field, go through the motions of the sacrifice and then open up your sun roof :smallamused:

Xuldarinar
2013-08-15, 06:15 AM
It can be controlled sunlight exposure. Keep the creature bound and incapable of using it's abilities in an Antimagic field, go through the motions of the sacrifice and then open up your sun roof :smallamused:

True, that is a very good point. It would require the appropriate resources to do, so maybe is preformed more by larger 'cults' to Pelor and may even be a preferred method.

Arcanist
2013-08-15, 06:25 AM
True, that is a very good point. It would require the appropriate resources to do, so maybe is preformed more by larger 'cults' to Pelor and may even be a preferred method.

Instead of specifically excluding the Vampire as a sacrifice, why not specify that the Sacrifice has to take at least an hour to perform or something like that. I once played a Cleric of Asmodeus and did something very similar to the above to a Vampire I didn't like (long story short: It is smarter to inflict a negative level to a non-caster with friends than a spellcaster with no friends.)

Xuldarinar
2013-08-15, 06:43 AM
Instead of specifically excluding the Vampire as a sacrifice, why not specify that the Sacrifice has to take at least an hour to perform or something like that. I once played a Cleric of Asmodeus and did something very similar to the above to a Vampire I didn't like (long story short: It is smarter to inflict a negative level to a non-caster with friends than a spellcaster with no friends.)

I've changed it to state it is 1 hour long, changed wording, and removed the mention of vampires.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-24, 04:54 PM
Simply bringing this back up, and asking if there is anything further that can be done for balancing this prestige class

ArcturusV
2013-10-24, 05:12 PM
I dunno. Seems odd to me, as it FEELS like a Cleric Class. Turn undead, the "Exception" power which doesn't matter on anything but Clerics. But doesn't actually Require Cleric in any way to to take.

Oh, might want to give them an exception/free "Exalted Turning". That just seems to fit the concept. I turn AND torture Undead at the same time with a free 3d6 damage. Bonus points because the illustration of it shows the zombies on fire. AND the Cleric using a Morning Star.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-24, 05:18 PM
I dunno. Seems odd to me, as it FEELS like a Cleric Class. Turn undead, the "Exception" power which doesn't matter on anything but Clerics. But doesn't actually Require Cleric in any way to to take.

Oh, might want to give them an exception/free "Exalted Turning". That just seems to fit the concept. I turn AND torture Undead at the same time with a free 3d6 damage. Bonus points because the illustration of it shows the zombies on fire. AND the Cleric using a Morning Star.

Hmm, I like that idea, Perhaps that as a bonus feat to fill in the dead level.

JoshuaZ
2013-10-24, 05:36 PM
I like the idea of adding that bonus feat at level 5. As it stands because of the way the saves and BAB progress, that level is even deader than most dead levels (5 always has this potential problem).

Xuldarinar
2013-10-24, 06:05 PM
I've now added it.

Urpriest
2013-10-24, 06:16 PM
This is really really early entry, even for a Thrall PrC. I'd bump up the skill requirements to restrict entry to level 5 at the lowest.

Also, how does the Pelor's Light ability work for characters who don't have a Spells Known list, like Clerics?

Xuldarinar
2013-10-24, 06:38 PM
This is really really early entry, even for a Thrall PrC. I'd bump up the skill requirements to restrict entry to level 5 at the lowest.

Also, how does the Pelor's Light ability work for characters who don't have a Spells Known list, like Clerics?

I've increased the Knowledge (religion) requirement to 8 ranks.

Im glad you brought that up. Essentially, for all intents and purposes a cleric knows all cleric spells and their domain spells. For this, if it would help, I could add a line clarifying this. Now, for characters lacking casting ability, perhaps I should add a line so they may use the spell x/day, or something to that effect.

jedipilot24
2013-10-24, 07:03 PM
I've increased the Knowledge (religion) requirement to 8 ranks.

Im glad you brought that up. Essentially, for all intents and purposes a cleric knows all cleric spells and their domain spells. For this, if it would help, I could add a line clarifying this. Now, for characters lacking casting ability, perhaps I should add a line so they may use the spell x/day, or something to that effect.

Instead of Thrall to Demon, why not Heretic of the Faith (from Power of Faerun), which would provide something along these lines:
Must be evil; morningstars are favored weapon; access to the Destruction, Evil, Fire, Glory, Healing, Strength, and Sun domains. The Burning Hate heretics despise the undead even more than the normal church of Pelor. For this reason Burning Hate Clerics Turn Undead and spontaneously cast cure spells even though they are evil while Paladin’s of Slaughter and Paladin’s of Tyranny who embrace the Burning Hate have Lay on Hands instead of Deadly Touch. Also Burning Hate heretics may also ignore the alignment restrictions of the Radiant Servant of Pelor, Master of Radiance, Sacred Purifier, Shadowspy, Shadowstriker, Malconvoker, and Grey Guard prestige classes. Burning Hate heretics may also take the Black Flame Zealot prestige class.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-24, 07:26 PM
Instead of Thrall to Demon, why not Heretic of the Faith (from Power of Faerun), which would provide something along these lines:
Must be evil; morningstars are favored weapon; access to the Destruction, Evil, Fire, Glory, Healing, Strength, and Sun domains. The Burning Hate heretics despise the undead even more than the normal church of Pelor. For this reason Burning Hate Clerics Turn Undead and spontaneously cast cure spells even though they are evil while Paladin’s of Slaughter and Paladin’s of Tyranny who embrace the Burning Hate have Lay on Hands instead of Deadly Touch. Also Burning Hate heretics may also ignore the alignment restrictions of the Radiant Servant of Pelor, Master of Radiance, Sacred Purifier, Shadowspy, Shadowstriker, Malconvoker, and Grey Guard prestige classes. Burning Hate heretics may also take the Black Flame Zealot prestige class.

Thats an interesting idea, worth very least an adaptation. The notion I am presenting here is based on the idea that pelor really is evil, in this case, based on this:

Abyssal Lord, Pelor of Burning Hatred

Subj: [PLANESCAPE] - a new Abyssal Lord
Date: 98-05-04 13:41:23 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
Reply-to: [email protected]
To: [email protected]

Here you Go folks a new, evil Tanar'ri (Demon) Lord

PELOR
Climate:Gray Waste
Frequency:Unique
Organization:Planar Ruler
Activity Cycle:Any
Diet:Carnivore"souls"
Intelligence:SupraGenius"21"
Treasure:U,Z,W,X
Alignement:Chaotic-Evil
Armor Class:-11
Movement:14
Hit Dice:47 HP:277
Thaco: 3
# of Att: 4
Dam:1d10+6 1d10+6
Special Att:Spells / summon Tanar'ri(demons)
Special Def:Immunities of Tanar'ri
Magic Resistance:70%
Size: 9' tall
Morale: Fearless(19)
XP Value: 48 000

Pelor a Tanar'ri Abyssal Lord whom in the past once served under the great Queen of the Abyss Lilith over a millenia ago before the Blood War had ever started in the Lower Planes. Pelor was the Bringer of Light for his Queen, until the day he rebeled against her and her rule. Pelor was the first Tanar'ri to escape the Abyssal realm of Lilith. Pelor had decided to flee to the Gray Waste where Pelor easily founded his own Planar realm and had begun to put into the effect his diabolical shemes of damnation, chaos, and destruction upon the multiverse.

However over the years the Abyssal lord Pelor has spent dwelling within the Gray Waste, has had a effect upon his nature. In fact the very Nature of the Abyssal Lord Pelor has changed and is still in a state of flux, as the Abyssal Lord Pelor strives to achieve his higher form of being. Pelor appears as a ageless male planar tainted human with a golden crown of sunstones upon his head. His eyes, teeth, and nails however are clearly demonic in appearence and nature so Pelor still has signs of his Tanar'ri nature.

Combat: Pelor is a serious combatant whom enjoys using physical strength and spells to humiliate first then destroy in the bloodiest of fashions. He is a ambi-dextrous Grand Master in the Long Swords. He has two inteligent artifact long Swords. The Left handed Sword is Uggrazz, capable of inflicting wounds that can not be closed except by a heal, only when they strike a Lawful Good mortal. In his Right Hand is the Loyal Sword SwaD'Wi. This Sword can emit a ray of painful light 10 times a day, for 27 points of Dammage save for half against Death Magic.

Plots and Goals: He has realised the power of belief from mortal so the Abyssal Lord Pelor enjoys creating Cults, and false Faiths in his name upon the prime Worlds he enjoys to visits. To do this he Travels to a desired prime World in the Guise of a kind Priest of Pelor. Using his Crown of Sunstones that acts as a amulet of non-dectection only upon a prime plane. In this Guise He uses his lay on hands 10 times a day to heal 27 points of Dammage. Also he can do minor creation, improved phantasmal force and major creation at will while in this role. All this he does so he can make his Priestly Guise and the Faith of Pelor more Believalbe to the clueless of the prime world he visits. His false faith he has decided is one where Pelor is a Greater God of Healing and protection.

Followers and ressources: Pelor can Gate 1-4 Unique Balors(50% chance) whom appear as Solars, with flaming wings but have a subltle hint of their Tanar'ri taint visible in some part of their body if one looks hard enough. Pelor can use Items allowable to fighters, priests, and mages. The Bringer of Light Pelor has many designs upon many primes and patiently waits for them to mature for the day he can unleash Hellfire and Damnation.

He has a long estasblished False faith upon Oerth, a couple small cults on Toril and Mystara, whom are growing at amusing rate. All of this is part of his scheme only he can see . He also has designs of starting his false faith upon the planes starting in Sigil but thus far has had only a very small success in this goal, thank in large part to a mortal proxy Scion of his he has sent to sigil to spread the Faith of Pelor!

Well there you go folks, what did you think? flames comments--------Roland "Proxy Scion Herald of the Abyssal "Demon" Lord Pelor!"

The feat in of itself that you presented is very interesting and could easily stand in where Pelor is truly as presented. I like the idea, but feel I wish to keep this prestige class to it's current flavor and theme.

Arcanist
2013-10-24, 09:14 PM
I'm cooking up rice and beans at the moment and I burned my thumb. So I was annoyed and came down to my room to check on the playground... Imagine my joy when I find out that this thread is still being worked on. I'm tempted to see if I can actually work on a statblock for the Burning Hate using 3.5 rules. This should be fun... :smallamused:

TO THE TYPEWRITER! :smallbiggrin:

Pelor, The Shining One, The Sun Father, The Burning Hate
Greater Deity
Symbol: Sun face
Home Plane:
Alignment: Neutral good
Portfolio: Sun, light, strength, healing
Worshipers: Bards, rangers, druids, healers, commoners
Cleric Alignments: GG, LG, NG
Domains: Evil, Chaos, Destruction, Good, Healing, Strength, Sun
Favored Weapon:Mace

Cleric 30 / Master of Radiance 5 / Hunter of the Dead 10
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Good, Tanar'ri)
Hit Dice: Outsider 20
Initiative: +15
Speed: 80 ft. (16 squares), fly 180 ft. (Good)
Armor Class: 89, touch 57, Flat-footed 74
Base Attack/Grapple: +43/+68
Attack: Sunscepter +77 (2d6 +17/x2), Heatstroke +77 (1d4+17/x2)
Full Attack: Sunscepter +77/+72/+68/+63 (2d6 +17/x2), Heatstroke +77/+72/+68/+63 (1d4+17/x2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with Heatstroke)
Special Attacks: Death throes, entangle, spell-like abilities, summon demon
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 40/Cold Iron, Epic, Good, Darkvision 60 ft., Divine Aura (1,700 miles), Heart of the Sun, immunity to Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Divine Immunities, Spell Resistance 81, Telepathy 100 ft., True Seeing
Saves: Fort +67, Ref +66, Will +69
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 41, Con 42, Int 44, Wis 45, Cha 43
Skills: Skill Ranks: As with most deities, you have about 1,012 skill points to work with. Knock yourself out.
Feats:
Epic Feats:
Salient Divine Abilities:
Environment: Hestavar, the Bright City
Organization: Solitary (Unique), Court (Pelor and 1d6 True Solars (33HD Solar))
Challenge Rating: 43
Treasure:
Alignment: Chaotic Evil (detects as Neutral Good)

Note: This was made using the Dicefreak deity rules. Pelor's base creature is a Balor... Why did I go with this? Why don't you try stating him out and using a more appropriate demon if you think you know best! :smallfurious:

I'll finish this when I feel motivated to... Idk... Someone else pick up the torch... Dicefreak's deity rules are listed in the back of The Gates Of Hell, volume 9 (http://dicefreaks.freeforums.org/the-gates-of-hell-t22.html)

Xuldarinar
2013-10-24, 10:13 PM
I'm cooking up rice and beans at the moment and I burned my thumb. So I was annoyed and came down to my room to check on the playground... Imagine my joy when I find out that this thread is still being worked on. I'm tempted to see if I can actually work on a statblock for the Burning Hate using 3.5 rules. This should be fun... :smallamused:

TO THE TYPEWRITER! :smallbiggrin:

Good to see your post. If you do type that up, I would absolutely love to see it.

Arcanist
2013-10-24, 10:54 PM
Good to see your post. If you do type that up, I would absolutely love to see it.

I had some ideas for a unique divine salient ability that allowed him to offer spells to people of a different alignment and to deceive even the highest ranking deities into believing that he is who he says he is... But like I said, I lost motivation, so if you wanna continue it, by all means.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-25, 03:15 AM
Expanding upon this. I think we can all just go back and forth on this till it is done.

PELOR
The Shining One, The Sun Father, The Burning Hate
Greater Deity
Symbol: Sun face
Home Plane:
Alignment: (Standard belief) Neutral good
(Burning hatred) Chaotic evil or Neutral evil
Portfolio: Sun, light, strength, healing, pain
Worshipers: Bards, rangers, druids, healers, commoners
Cleric Alignments: (Standard belief) CG, NG, LG,
(Burning hatred) CE, NE, LE
Domains: Evil, Chaos, Destruction, Good, Healing, Strength, Sun
Favored Weapon: Mace

Cleric 30 / Master of Radiance 5 / Hunter of the Dead 10
Large-Size Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Good, Tanar'ri)
Divine Rank: 17
Hit Dice: 20d8+320 (outsider) plus 30d8+480 (Clr) plus 5d8+80 (MoR) plus 10d8 +160 (HotD) (1,560 hp)
Initiative: +15
Speed: 80 ft. (16 squares), fly 180 ft. (Good)
Armor Class: 89, touch 57, Flat-footed 74
Base Attack/Grapple: +43/+68
Attack: Sunscepter +77 (2d6 +17/x2), Heatstroke +77 (1d4+17/x2)
Full Attack: Sunscepter +77/+72/+68/+63 (2d6 +17/x2), Heatstroke +77/+72/+68/+63 (1d4+17/x2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with Heatstroke)
Special Attacks: Death throes, entangle, spell-like abilities, summon demon
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 40/Cold Iron, Epic, Good, Darkvision 60 ft., Divine Aura (1,700 miles), Heart of the Sun, immunity to Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Divine Immunities, Spell Resistance 81, Telepathy 100 ft., True Seeing
Saves: Fort +67, Ref +66, Will +69
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 41, Con 42, Int 44, Wis 45, Cha 43
Skills: Skill Ranks: As with most deities, you have about 1,012 skill points to work with. Knock yourself out.
Feats:
Epic Feats:
Salient Divine Abilities:
Environment: Blessed Fields of Elysium, Grey Waste of Hades
Organization: Solitary (Unique), Court (Pelor and 1d6 Balor (appear as True Solars (33HD), and detect as NG)
Challenge Rating: 43
Treasure:
Alignment: Chaotic Evil (detects as Neutral Good)