PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fighter. Possible?

Briandude777
2013-08-15, 05:52 AM
Hello, I am relatively new at Pathfinder (Have only played for a few months or so,) and I am wondering if this is possible. I am playing an additional class of Fighter which is a Phalanx Soldier (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/coreClasses/fighter.html) I am starting off at level three.

Lvl.3 = 6k GP

HP: 45
AC: 28

Stats:
Str: 18
Dex: 12
Con: 15
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 12
Weapon: Longspear +1 (1155 Gold.)
Shield: +1 Tower Shield (1200 Gold.)
Armor: +1 Full Plate (2650 Gold.)

Totaling up to 5005 Gold, where I still have 995.

Feats are:
Shield Focus
Toughness
Weapon Focus: Longspear
Endurance
Dodge.

Making my AC 10+10+1+5+2
10+Armor+Dex+Shield+Misc. Anyhow, that's 28AC for a third level Fighter. That is some serious bull which there is no way possible. Right, because that is way too overpowered for a level three Fighter..

Saph
2013-08-15, 06:11 AM
It's mostly legit (though your math is off on the items – a +1 weapon costs 2300 and a bit). PF Fighters are supposed to have the best AC and to-hit bonus, it's what they do.

Don't forget that tower shields give you -2 to attack rolls. Compared to a heavy shield, that's +2 to AC for -2 to hit. Personally I don't think that's worth the trade – your AC is hitting the point of being unnecessarily high.

You'll be basically invulnerable to attacks that target AC (which at level 3 is most of them) so you can expect to be the toughest character in the party for a good long while. Trade-off is that you're slow and your Armour Check Penalty is horrendous, so don't fall in the water or go climbing anywhere. You also do only average damage compared to a two-handed-weapon user with Power Attack.

Oh, and this should be in the d20 subforum.

some guy
2013-08-15, 06:17 AM
Like Saph said, a tower shield gives a -2 to attacks. Also, you spend 2 feats for a higher AC. So you spend a lot in trade for a high AC.
I have lvl 1 fighter with a 20 AC, sure he's hard to hit. But that's almost his only power.

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-08-15, 06:19 AM
You can't have Dodge - it requires DEX 13+.

Briandude777
2013-08-15, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys, I'll make my adjustments. Having an overpowered AC ruins it.