PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Zen Archer Monk help

JeenLeen
2013-08-15, 10:06 AM
I'm building a Zen Archer monk for a campaign starting at level 1, probably going to 8 - 12, maybe higher. I'm thinking Oread for +2 Wis (+2 Str/Wis, -2 Cha).
20 point-build and want to keep 10 Cha, so final stat array is
Str 15
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 17
Cha 10

What I'd primarily like is advice on feats. I get pretty much all the good archery feats (besides Deadly Aim) from the class features/bonus monk feats. I'm considering Stony Step to combine with the Oread racial feature to create rough terrain, going for Oread Burrower later, but I'd rather do something else. Deflect Arrows looks really good for a level 1 ranged person.

On the question of feats, how would using any sort of shield interact with a bow? I don't see any class features limited by using a shield, only by armor. Can one use a buckler or a light shield and effectively use a bow?
That I'm having so much trouble finding a good feat that I'm considering Shield Proficiency for a few extra AC should show the difficulty I'm having. :smalltongue:

Current feat idea:
Level 1 = class (Precise Shot; Perfect Strike); level 1 (Deflect Arrows or Stony Step)
Level 2 = class (Point-Blank Shot; Weapon Focus)
Level 3 = class (Point-Blank Master); level 3 (Deadly Aim)
Level 4 = +1 Wisdom
Level 5 = level 5 (Deflect Arrows or Stony Step)
Level 6 = class (Improved Precise Shot; Weapon Specialization)
Level 7 = level 7 (???)
level 8 = +1 Strength (get better composite bow)
level 9 = class (can make AoO with bow); level 9 (Clustered Shots)
level 10 = class (Precise Targeting)
level 11 = level 11 (Oread Burrower)

EDIT: Additional question. For trading out some of the less useful monk powers for Qinggong Monk spell-likes... any recommendations?

NightbringerGGZ
2013-08-15, 02:03 PM
You can wear a buckler and use a two handed weapon, but if you attack with said weapon you do not gain the AC bonus from the buckler. You will also suffer a -1 penalty on your attack rolls. Not worth it.

You have 3 odd attributes, generally I recommend against this as it will take 12 levels to boost the stats high enough to get a modifier boost from all three.

For feats, many Zen archers like to take style feats. Crane style is especially nice for the added defenses it provides. Combined with Deflect Arrows you should be really hard to hit.