PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Spells of the Inquisition

FatherMalkav
2013-08-15, 11:12 AM
So I've been playing an Inquisitor for a while now (just hit seven) and so far I've found a lot of the spell list to be, awkward. There are some great spells in at my disposal, but so far I've had an issue finding any real synergy other than 'buff to hell and fire' (ranged character).

So, am I missing something or is this a common opinion? Do you, Playgrounders, have some tips or favorite spells for a ranged inquisitor?

nyarlathotep
2013-08-15, 12:50 PM
So I've been playing an Inquisitor for a while now (just hit seven) and so far I've found a lot of the spell list to be, awkward. There are some great spells in at my disposal, but so far I've had an issue finding any real synergy other than 'buff to hell and fire' (ranged character).

So, am I missing something or is this a common opinion? Do you, Playgrounders, have some tips or favorite spells for a ranged inquisitor?

The litany spells are all swift action casts and most of them are no save debuffs or buffs.

Karoht
2013-08-15, 01:09 PM
I do. Though it does depend somewhat on your Build/Archetype.

Recommendations in spoiler tags per spell level up to 4th.

Level 1

Divine Favor + Wrath on your main target = Awesome. Divine Favor is a Morale bonus, Wrath is a Luck bonus, so they stack.
Bane-Targets take a -1 penalty on attack rolls and saves VS fear. Intimidate/Demoralize causes shaken, which is a fear effect.
Litany of Sloth and Litany of Weakness are both Swift Actions. Sadly you can only have one Litany spell on a target, I would use Sloth against most targets. It not only prevents AoO's, it prevents a target from being able to Cast Spell Defensively. Which means you can AoO them, and if you can stay in a threatening range, they aren't likely to get a spell off. Weakness is a bit more general purpose, in that it fatigues. However, both spells only last for 1 round which is not cool.
Know the Enemy-Bonuses on Knowledge checks are very useful. Especially for determining what type of Bane to apply.
Ear Piercing Scream-Damage and possible chance to Daze on a single target. Not terrible for a level 1 spell. Not bad in the event the target has a really high AC that you are having difficulty hitting.
Hide from Undead-INCREDIBLY USEFUL. UNDERESTIMATED.

Level 2

Acute Senses-10/20/30 bonus on Perception checks. High enough to have a chance at seeing through Invisiblity on its own, and great for spotting anything else.
Combo's well with Find Traps. You can spot traps as good or better than a Rogue with just these two spells together.
Blistering Invective-Intimidate all enemies within 30 ft, deal 1D10 points of fire damage, reflex save to not catch fire, SR negates the fire damage but not the Intimdate. Intimdating targets causes Shaken, which is a -2 penalty. Combo that with Bane and your opponents are now at a -3 to do all kinds of things to you.
Confess is a funny spell. Damage and Sickened. Not bad for a single target spell.
Distressing tone affects 1D4 creatures and causes Sickened. Like the Confess spell's cousin. I'd take Distressing Tone personally.
Early Judgement is like Confess without the damage. Possibly more crippling, alignment based.
Hold Person-Take it. Use it. Love it.
Hunter's Lore-Take 20 on Knowledge checks, make Knowledge checks untrained. Combo's very nicely with Know the Enemy.
Instrument of Agony-Combo's well with Blistering Invective. Also confers a debuff on one critical hit, sickened or nauseated. Note, nauseated casters can't cast spells. You get a move action, nothing else, while nauseated. Sickened if they make the save. Combo's extremely well with Weapon of Awe, though if you had to choose, I would take Weapon of Awe.
Spiritual Weapon-Take Toppling Spell as soon as you have 3rd level spell slots. Use Spiritual Weapon + Toppling Spell. Grats, free damage and trip attempts, keyed off your Wisdom. And the action economy is awesome.
Silence-Good for stopping Bards cold. I mean completely. All their spells are vocal components, and they specifically can NOT use Silent Spell to cast with. Also good for sneaking around. Worth having, but might not see all that much use.

Level 3

Coordinated Effort-Granting Ally's a Teamwork Feat for free is quite fun. Your Mileage May Vary.
Invisibility Purge-Shuts down all invisibility within a radius around you. Take it.
Hunter's Eye-Might be useful. Allows you to basically See Invisibility on one target. But it also allows you to ignore concealment from Fog and Mists, as well as Blur and Displacement. Quite handy against targets you know are using Blure and Displacement. Your Mileage May Vary.
Halt Undead-Hold Person for up to 3 undead targets. Unintelligent undead don't get a save.
Litany of Entanglement-Swift action to entangle a single target for a round. Not super amazing, but has it's uses.
Litany of Righteousness-Swift action to cause 1 evil target to take double damage from good creatures. No effect on nonevil targets. Situational, but awesome.
Magic Circle VS Good/Evil/Chaos/Law-Awesome to have.
Prayer-Bless and Bane in one spell. Bonuses/Penalties apply to more things though. Sort of good. It's a luck bonus though, so be aware of that for stacking purposes.
Righteous Vigor-More useful for the Temporary Hit points, the hit bonus is nice but it's a Morale bonus, it doesn't stack with Divine Favor. Great for casting on party members though.
Terrible Remorse-Suck or Really Suck. The big brother of Save or Suck. Staggered means target can't full attack, and if they fail they damage themselves and do nothing else. Excellent control spell, totally recommended. Especially for the hilarity factor. I once had an enemy punch himself to death with this spell.

Level 4

Battlemind Link-Can be awesome.
Chaos Hammer-Damage and Slow VS Lawful is pretty cool. Hits lots of targets.
Crusader's Edge-Great buff on your weapon or allies when fighting Evil Outsiders. Works well with your Bane class feature too, depending on the specifics of the creature you are fighting.
Daze Mass-Good all purpose spell.
Death Ward-Good to have, sometimes better left to the Clerics in the party. Always good to have a backup in the event of a Greater Dispel hitting the area.
Divine Power-Luck bonuses. Big ones. Stacks with Divine Favor.
Forceful Strike-FALCON PUNCH! No really. Force damage and a major bullrush. Works well if you have Improved Bull Rush. Sure, you are a ranged combatant, what happens when that Barbarian manages to charge and get up in your business? Great way to deal with that problem.
Freedom of Movement-Take it.
Hold Monster-Useful.
Holy Smite-Damage and Blind VS Evil. Doesn't affect Good creatures. Useful.
Invisibility, Greater-Take it.
Litany of Sight-See Invisibility as a Swift Action. Worth it. Muchly.
Litany of Escape-Teleports Grappled creatures out of the grapple. As a Swift Action. Take it!
Order's Wrath-Damage and Daze VS Chaotic. Useful.
Rebuke-Situationally useful.
Undeath Ward-Undead-B-Gone.

A lot of that sounds like buff stacking. There is also a fair amount of Debuffing and Control. Used tactically you can accomplish great things. Stay at range, buff up, burn badguys, lock down.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-08-15, 02:42 PM
My tip would be to remember the divination magic that you have access to. Inquisitors are one of the better classes with their class skills and spells at finding out information about something.