PDA

View Full Version : Found a low level dragon for use!

CyberThread
2013-08-15, 11:53 AM
So I found a dragon, that I think compares to the steel wyrm and battle drake that folks talk about.

I have never seen it mentioned when the conversation comes up , so here we go.

Rattlyer Dragon 2HD +2 LA Wyrmling

Resistance to Electricity 20, Immunity to Fire, Very Nasty Fear affect(not the usual dragon fear) , tremor sense 60 ft , burrow speed instead of flight,

*forgot to source* Shining South book

Xervous
2013-08-15, 12:32 PM
It doesn't offer anything much compared to the other dragons around its ECL, unless if you plan to make a mole. They get +2 con and -2 cha.

Steel gives you 1 sorcerer casting and thus removes the need to take the 1/2 BAB level of sorcerer, mostly this appeals to gishes. Steel also has alternate form, which, when coupled with the Half Dragon Form feat from Dragons of Eberron, lets you pretty much dump your Dex and Str and play a humanoid gish. (24 base strength with Flind Gnoll). Base adjust is +2 Con and + 2 Cha, which further promotes their usage as sorcerer based gishes. They also get spell resistance, but its only 14 so it isn't likely to come up that much beyond a certain point.

Mercury gives you a silly fly speed and maneuverability, which is much more versatile than burrow unless you happen to be making a mole character. Like Steel, mercury gets alternate form which is ripe with potential for optimization. They get +4 dex and +2 con.

Also, remember all dragons have blindsense 60.

CyberThread
2013-08-15, 03:49 PM
<-< how many other creatures do you know that you can play with a burrow speed, within a decent HDLA?

TuggyNE
2013-08-15, 04:37 PM
<-< how many other creatures do you know that you can play with a burrow speed, within a decent HDLA?

Does it matter? Burrow speed is considerably less significant, generally, than fly speed. It's not useless, but it's not all that super-amazing either.

danzibr
2013-08-15, 05:19 PM
I like it! I should read all of Shining South. So much good stuff in there.

Zombulian
2013-08-15, 05:59 PM

Well there's the Hengeokai from OA. The badger variety can burrow, and have no LA.
The Mineral Warrior template gives some amazing bonuses, as well as a burrow speed for +1 LA.

CyberThread
2013-08-15, 07:23 PM
oh crap :D, that the rattler ability they get, makes it qualified for the Siren.

Valgorn The Dragon, While the locals call him the

Maraca of doom!

An it scales on HD not RHD :D

Mithril Leaf
2013-08-15, 08:33 PM
Another useful one is Amphibious from the Bestiary of Krynn, who's big selling point is the single hit die. +2 LA.

CyberThread
2013-08-15, 09:46 PM
Maybe, something to pop up with also, while the steel dragon is small with no physical stat penalties, my dragon is tiny with no stat penalties.

Kid Jake
2013-08-15, 10:03 PM
oh crap :D, that the rattler ability they get, makes it qualified for the Siren.

Valgorn The Dragon, While the locals call him the

Maraca of doom!

An it scales on HD not RHD :D

You approach the mound of dirt apprehensively, hearing a faint rattling sound that appears to grow louder. It builds to a rapid tempo and a fearsome creature bursts into the light of day, too horrible for words.

Artists interpretation: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/UnLegend/Dragon_zpsb5fe28a9.png

Invader
2013-08-15, 10:49 PM

Or, you know, just get a wand of burrow and not waste 4 levels?

Chronos
2013-08-15, 11:03 PM
Quoth Mithril Leaf:

Another useful one is Amphibious from the Bestiary of Krynn, who's big selling point is the single hit die. +2 LA.
Then again, dragon RHD are pretty good. I'd rather have something with 4 or 5 HD, if it could eliminate the LA, even though it's more total ECL.

CyberThread
2013-08-15, 11:17 PM
Or, you know, just get a wand of burrow and not waste 4 levels?

or I could just want to be a dragon <-<

WhamBamSam
2013-08-15, 11:22 PM
Note that Rattlyrs age five times faster than other dragons, which means a) you're going to have to advance in dragon HD/LA every few months of in-game time per the rules for dragon PCs in Draconomicon and b) due to the fact that they only live 300 years or so, they run into at least one of the anti-kobold arguments and depending on your DM's interpretation of the rules, they might not qualify for sovereign archetypes. 20ft of burrow and one fewer RHD is a very bad trade against the Mercury Wyrmling's 200ft perfect flight, and potentially losing out on the ability to adopt Loredrake or Wyrm of War makes matters even worse.

EDIT: Here's a dragon build that works...

Wyrm of War Mercury Wyrmling 3/Totemist 2/Hit and Run Sneak Attack Fighter 1-3/Rogue 1-3/Swordsage 2/etc.

Bind Landshark Boots, pick up Knowledge Devotion, Flyby Attack, and Shadow Blade. Deliver four attacks per round with dex to damage twice, Knowledge Devotion bonuses and a bunch of Sneak Attack without ever ending your turn within 60ft of the enemy. Point your DM toward the fluff of Mercury Dragons being ADD if he questions the diptasticness.

CyberThread
2013-08-15, 11:24 PM
I keep hearing about that, what book are those from , Dragons of Eberon ?

Xervous
2013-08-15, 11:29 PM
Yes, dragons of eberron has all sorts of lovely stuff for True Dragons™ including a feat to get alternate form and one to give alternate form some battle worthy stats (for lower levels at least)

Akal Saris
2013-08-15, 11:31 PM
Yup, the sovereign templates are very early in Dragons of Eberron.

Anyhow, good find! I would certainly play one at least :P

WhamBamSam
2013-08-15, 11:43 PM
I keep hearing about that, what book are those from , Dragons of Eberon ?Yes. The big two are Loredrake (+2 sorc casting) and Wyrm of War (fighter/ dragony feat every 4HD, not dragon HD, just "HD it possesses").

Also, the build I edited into my last post may be of interest if you haven't noticed it yet, though on reflection Shadow Blade won't actually work, as claws aren't Shadow Hand weapons, meaning the Swordsage dip is just for Assassin's Stance and some situational maneuvers.

CyberThread
2013-08-16, 12:10 AM
Yeah I don't do Incarnum, I utterly hate the system, even for cheap useful dips :P

As I found this dragon, am more inclined to use it, it does not get spellcasting, but the burrow and rattle could be some fun for a low level build with LA buyoff.

As am stuck in the tiny bracket, I may aim for the warlock type.

WhamBamSam
2013-08-16, 12:35 AM
Yeah I don't do Incarnum, I utterly hate the system, even for cheap useful dips :P

As I found this dragon, am more inclined to use it, it does not get spellcasting, but the burrow and rattle could be some fun for a low level build with LA buyoff.

As am stuck in the tiny bracket, I may aim for the warlock type.Fair enough, I suppose. Do be careful about the aging rules though. Ask your DM about the rough time frame of the story he has planned. If it's going to take more than 5 months (2 years normally, but again, Rattlyrs age five times faster) of in-game time, you'll have to take more levels in dragon.