PDA

View Full Version : Community World Building : Modern Edition

ArlEammon
2013-08-15, 12:27 PM
I liked ShadowRun, from the SNES. Yeah. I know it was a pen and paper/board game thing before that, but I liked how it was the modern world rebuilt to have orcs, magic and technology at the same time. . . So I was thinking, this is Earth. . . however, a magical comet passed through the solar system, I got this idea from Illusion of Gaia.

What happened is that in 2012, December 21st, the magical comet passed through the solar system, and now, things like magic and other impossible phenomenon are common place.

This is where Community World Building comes in. History up until December 21st has occurred almost exactly as it has in real world history. We might say that magic and the like only might have existed, but not necessarily has been proven to be around at all in the 19th-21st centuries.

I want the setting to have a lot of flavor and uniqueness, so I'm going to go ahead and say the minimum time start for this alternate Earth in the future is going to be 2085. However, country relations, which countries have fallen, and what new countries now exist are up to you, the community.

Now, Question #1 is:
Earth has experienced enormous changes in December 21st, 2012. What were these changes?

A) A horrifying Apocalypse. People were dying, crime and murder was rampant, some people dropped dead, others died from fear, the world as we know it ended. This is a Post-Apocalyptic world now, few, if any organizations from those times still exist. Some of those who experienced changes were mutated into horrible creatures, but some experienced very beneficial changes as well. To make things worse, Technology stopped, and has had to be reinvented. New ways of generating power have been developed and adapted.
* Billions died as a result. Write in the exact number of dead.

B) A horrifying Apocalypse. People died for seemingly no reason, some people were dying of fear. The world we as we knew it ended. The Apocalypse is no more, and the world has begun to adapt well to it's changes, although few if any of the old countries still exist in the same form, if at all. Some of those who changed experienced horrifying changes, although some have experienced beneficial change as well. To make things worse, technology has stopped mysteriously since the Change. New forms of power generation has been invented and adapted.
* Up to one Billion died as a result, write in the exact number of dead.

C) A horrifying Apocalypse. People died for seemingly no reason, some people were dying of fear, the world as we knew it ended. As a result of so much chaos caused by the Changes, many countries fell, and politics became very nasty. Many experienced good or bad changes that never happened before in the old days. However, we could have been much worse off. There are still plenty of organized places of refuge, and even some entire nations are available to live a normal or at least almost normal life. Hundreds of millions of people died. *Write in the exact number of Dead. To make things worse, Technology had mysteriously stopped working. New forms of power generation have been invented and adapted.

D) A horrifying Apocalypse. . . People died for seemingly no reason, some people died of fear, the world as we knew it ended. As a result of so much Chaos caused by the Changes, many countries fell, politics became very nasty, both good and bad changes that could never occur before happened to many people. However, we could have been a heck of a lot worse off. There are plenty of organized places of refuge to run to, to shelter us. . . although there are large, dangerous places in the world. Hundreds of Millions of people died. *Write in exact number of dead, up to six hundred million. To make things worse, Technology had mysteriously stopped working. New forms of power generation have been invented and adapted.

E) As any of the former options, only giant Corporations may have became their own country.

F) As any of the former options, only many of the old countries have changed significantly, either for the better or for the worse.

G) As any of the former options, only it's a combination of E and F.

Malachi Lemont
2013-08-15, 01:38 PM
The choices seem very similar, except for the number of people who have died. So I guess I'll go with A, and say that 6.8 billion people died within the first year of the "Event." That leaves 300 million survivors - about the same as the world population in 1000 AD.

ArlEammon
2013-08-15, 02:20 PM
The choices seem very similar, except for the number of people who have died. So I guess I'll go with A, and say that 6.8 billion people died within the first year of the "Event." That leaves 300 million survivors - about the same as the world population in 1000 AD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnd1jKcfBRE

The Event. . . DON'T THINK OF THE EVENT!! DON'T THINK ABOUT THE EVENT!!

Thunderfist12
2013-08-15, 04:48 PM
Hmm...

A and F: I like the idea of electrical technology shutting down (by a major solar flare?), so I wouldn't say it has been readapted (yet), and it seems like, in the face of an apocalypse, boundaries and leaders would change drastically (most likely not for the better). Maybe you can even throw in some supercosmic connection with the comet, making a rift in the fabrics of the universe that allow spirits to return from the dead (note: these are not actual spirits - they are creatures from another dimension that feed off the fear of humankind and use these forms to do so. Think "demon".)