PDA

View Full Version : Spellfire Bloodline (3.5, UA)

peacenlove
2013-08-15, 05:29 PM
An old attempt of mine to fix spellfire into usable levels found in one of my notebooks. Now that I see it some abilities need shuffling. Abilities mostly taken from Magic of Faerun and arranged as a bloodline.
Any comments appreciated :smallsmile:

EDIT: I Think I have seen it before somewhere as a bloodline however I don't remember the specifics. If someone could link me the relevant thread and if it is similar to mine, I would greatly appreciate it.

{table=head] Level |
Minor |
Intermediate |
Major

1st |- |-| Spellfire (absorb)
2nd |- |Spellfire (absorb)| +2 Spellcraft
3rd |- |-| Constitution +1
4th |Spellfire (absorb) (Su) |+2 Spellcraft| Increased Storage x2 (Ex)
5th |- |-| Spellfire Wielder Affinity +2
6th |- |Constitution +1| Endurance Feat
7th |- |-| +2 Knowledge (Arcana)
8th |+2 Spellcraft |Increased Storage x2 (Ex) | Increased Storage x3 (Ex)
9th |- |-| Charisma +1
10th |- |Spellfire Wielder Affinity +2| Spellfire (healing) (Su)
11th |- |-| Spellfire Wielder Affinity +4
12th |Constitution +1 |Endurance Feat| Drain Item (Sp)
13th |- |-| Weapon Focus (spellfire)
14th |- |+2 Knowledge (Arcana)| Increased Storage x4 (Ex)
15th |- |-| Intelligence +1
16th |Increased Storage x2 (Ex) |Increased Storage x3 (Ex) | Drain Permanent Item (Sp)
17th |- |-| Spellfire Wielder Affinity +6
18th |- |Charisma +1| Increased Storage x5 (Ex)
19th |- |-| +2 Concentration checks
20th |Spellfire Wielder Affinity +2 |Spellfire (healing) (Su)| Spellfire Burst (Su)

[/table]

Spellfire Wielder Affinity
You gain the indicated bonus on all Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Perform checks made to interact with spellfire wielders.

Spellfire (absorb) (Su)
A spellfire wielder can absorb spells targeted at her as if she were a rod of absorption. She gains one level of spellfire energy for every spell level absorbed and can store a number of spellfire energy levels equal to her Constitution score. If she has reached her limit, she cannot absorb spells until she expends some of her stored spellfire energy levels.
If an incoming spell effect has a greater number of spell levels than she can currently store, she absorbs spell levels up to her limit, and the remaining spell levels are divided by the original number of spell levels to determine what fraction of the effect gets through (as with the spell turning spell, except that the caster of the spell is never at risk of being harmed).
If her Constitution decreases so that her number of stored spellfire levels is greater than her current Constitution, the excess levels discharge at a random creature in range as destructive spellfire (see below).
Stored spellfire energy levels are unavailable in an antimagic field, but are not lost. Once the wielder is out of the antimagic field, the spellfire energy levels are again available for use. Dispel magic and similar effects cannot negate stored spellfire energy levels. A character with stored levels radiates magic as if he were an item with a caster level equal to his number of stored levels.
As a standard action, a spellfire wielder may expend stored spellfire energy levels as a melee or ranged touch attack (maximum range 400 feet), dealing 1d6 points of spellfire damage per level expended (Reflex half, DC 10 + ½ HD + Con Modifier). Spellfire damage is half fire damage and half raw magical power.

Increased Storage (Ex):
The wielder’s capacity for storing spellfire energy levels is multiplied by the listed value. However, spellfire energy levels in excess of the wielder’s Constitution score is dangerous, with different effects depending upon the number of levels stored:

Constitution +1 to Constitution x2: The wielder’s eyes glow brightly, and any creature, magic item, or spell effect that touches the wielder causes 1 spellfire energy level to be discharged as a harmless burst of light. Once per day, the wielder must make a Constitution check (DC 10 + number of spellfire levels above constitution score) or take 1d6 points of damage as one of her spellfire energy level backfires.
Constitution x2+1 to Constitution x3: As above, plus the wielder’s skin glows (shedding light as a candle), a touch releases 1d4 spellfire energy levels as light, and the wielder must make the backfire
Constitution check every hour.
Constitution x3+1 to Constitution x4: As above, except the wielder sheds light equal to a torch, feels a burning sensation within her body (treat as if distracted by non-damaging spell, DC 20 to concentrate), and must make the backfire Constitution check every minute. A touch releases 1d6 spellfire energy levels as a flare spell (DC 10 + number of spellfire energy levels expended) against the wielder and all creatures within 5 feet of her.
Constitution x4+1 to Constitution x5: As above, except the character radiates a palpable (but non-damaging) heat to a radius of 20 feet, is in pain (treat as if distracted by non-damaging spell, DC 25 to concentrate), and must make the backfire Constitution check every round. A touch releases 2d6 spellfire energy levels as a flare spell (DC 10 + number of spellfire energy levels expended) against the wielder and all creatures within 5 feet of her. The wielder must make a Will save (DC 10 + number of spellfire levels above constitution score) every round or be forced to expend a maximum-strength blast of energy at a random target within 30 feet in preference to any other action.
Regardless of the number of spellfire energy levels stored, a wielder can voluntarily expend only a number of spellfire energy levels per round equal to her Constitution score. (Involuntary expenditure, such as that noted above, isn’t limited in this way.)

In addition to these abilities, the spellfire wielder can expend spellfire levels to utilize various effects. He gains these abilities at the designated multiplier.
x2: The wielder gains the Deflect Arrows feat, although rather than using a hand, a single spellfire energy level is expended to knock the missile away.
x3: The wielder can expend spellfire energy levels to fly as the spell. Each spellfire energy level expended allows the channeler to fly for 1 minute. The flying channeler leaves a visible trail of light that fades after 1 round.
x4: The wielder, by expending 10 spellfire levels can manifest the crown of fire, which appears as a halo of spellfire around her head and provides light equal to a daylight spell. The crown of fire gives her damage reduction 10/magic and cold iron and automatically melts all non-magical weapons that strike her (after inflicting damage, if any). The crown of fire grants the wielder spell resistance 21 + HD. Maintaining the crown of fire requires expending 10 spellfire energy levels each round, which can be done as a free action. The crown of fire does not interfere with the channeler’s actions, including using other spellfire abilities.
x5: The wielder can release spellfire energy in all directions as a 20-foot-radius spread, dealing 1d6 damage per spellfire energy level expended to all creatures in the area (Reflex half, DC 10 + ½ HD + Con modifier).

Spellfire (healing) (Su)
A spellfire wielder can heal a target by touch or at range (maximum range 400 feet), restoring 1d4+1 hit points per spellfire energy level expended for this purpose. This is not considered positive energy, so it can restore hit points to any creature type.

Drain Item (Sp)
As a standard action, a spellfire wielder can drain a single charge from a touched charged item (including single-use items such as potions and scrolls), converting the energy into a single stored spellfire energy level. A fully drained item has no magical properties (a potion becomes water, a scroll becomes blank paper). Only one feature of a multiple-use charged item (such as a scroll with several spells) can be drained per round. A creature gets to make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ HD + Con modifier) to prevent one of its held or carried items from being drained.

Drain Permanent Item (Sp)
The wielder can drain power from permanent magic items by touch as a standard action. An item that creates spell effects (such as boots of speed) loses that function for 24 hours, and the wielder gains spellfire energy levels equal to half the caster level of the item. A creature gets to make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ HD + Con modifier) to prevent one of its held or carried items from being drained.
An item with all its permanent abilities drained for the day is still a magic item (for purposes of making saving throws when damaged, and so on).

Spellfire Burst (Su)
The wielder can substitute a spellfire burst for a normal spellfire blast. The range remains the same, but instead of requiring a touch attack, the spellfire energy explodes in a 10-foot-radius burst at the target point, dealing appropriate damage to all creatures in the area. Each affected creature may attempt a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier) to halve the damage.

Baitdoll
2014-01-13, 07:39 PM
I like this a lot. I have played a homebrew spellfire wielder, and I've always wanted more. I've wanted to see something more official than the tidbit in FR, but this covers a lot of it.

I would like to see a PF bloodline for sorcerers too, but I think it would be much more powerful than all other choices.

I will looking into this more soon and grade each aspect, I just wanted to make a quick post to say something and to remind myself to look at it more fully later.

Anachronity
2014-01-13, 11:57 PM
Spellfire Wielder Affinity is oddly specific. I'd think it would apply to all arcane casters seeing as being a spellfire wielder basically just means you can use raw magic.

Very cool though. If I ever play a Forgotten Realms campaign I'll be tempted to try it.

peacenlove
2014-01-15, 04:05 AM
Spellfire Wielder Affinity is oddly specific. I'd think it would apply to all arcane casters seeing as being a spellfire wielder basically just means you can use raw magic.

Very cool though. If I ever play a Forgotten Realms campaign I'll be tempted to try it.

Yeah its a feature of the bloodlines ruleset. Vampiric bloodline gives affinity to vampires, ogre to ogres and so on.
However I could beef it up a little. How about +3/6/9 to checks vs spellfire wielders and +1/2/3 vs Weave casters?

I would like to see a PF bloodline for sorcerers too, but I think it would be much more powerful than all other choices.

Not exactly strong (because it gives a new set of abilities, rather than augmenting existing ones, like arcane), but only half of the abilities I presented would fit. Also bonus feats and relevant skill would be unknown.