PDA

View Full Version : The continuation of a new prestige class. (Any knowledge of ghostwalk CS helps)

Frostfel Wizard
2013-08-15, 06:45 PM
I have still been working on a new prestige class. The theme is a psionic, ghost themed roguish (almost lurk) type. The campaign is a bit higher powered, so the base class is a psionic rogue modified to have the lurk's save progression pp progression and the power lists of the two classes merged. Anyway here is what I have so far: (and parentheticals about my train of thought)

Poltergeist

Hit Die: D6

Requirements: Any non-good

Charisma modifier of at least +1 (ghosts= charisma powered abilities)

Manifesting: Must know any three of the following powers: dissipating touch, psionic daze, demoralize, far hand, entangling ectoplasm, burst.(one each to represent the ghost paths in Ghostwalk)

Skills: +4 each to Hide, Move Silently, and knowledge (psionics)

Other: Must have had a near-death experience, lowered to -1 or fewer hp
(one of my favorite requirements)

(First main worry is that I have far too many requirements, not sure how to use them quite yet to balance the power level of the class)

Class Skills: Appraise, Autohypnosis, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local) Knowledge (psionics), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Psionic Device, Use Rope
<Seriously considering narrowing down the skill list, doesn't need to be this large, right?>

Skill points: 6+Int

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Spiked Chain Tricks, Expanded Knowledge

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Ghost Feat

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Sneak Attack +1d6

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Ghost Feat

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|At Will Poltergeist

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Ghost Feat

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Ghost Feat

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Sneak Attack +2d6

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Poltergeist Ascension

[/table]

Spiked Chain Tricks: (don't worry, we have it de-cheesed, besides, we all generally hold rp'ing far, far, above survivability, so there was no cheese danger with the spiked chain to begin with. I picked the spiked chain as a nice little reference to Jacob Marley and other ghosts of the surrounding period, a main theme of which was the being wrapped in chains.) Can use the spiked chain as a double weapon instead of a reach weapon. The Poltergeist can switch how they are wielding the chain each round.

Expanded Knowledge: Dissipating Touch, Psionic Daze, Demoralize, Far Hand, Entangling Ectoplasm, and Burst, are all added to Powers Known. (Yes these are the powers from the requirements, I thought that they should all be available, but that you should have to do some of the starting work yourself, not sure how it turns out though.)

Sneak Attack: +1d6 to sneak attack damage at these two levels, pretty standard thing.

At Will Poltergeist: The Poltergeist can use far hand, control flames, and create sound as psi-like abilities usable at-will. Control Flames cannot be used to animate a flame when used as a psi-like ability, but normally manifesting it can.

Poltergeist Ascension: For a number of hours per day equal to your Cha modifier, (this seems like a lot, but minutes seems short, though I am thinking of this by duration of the day with a Cha score of around 17, not in terms of rounds of combat.) you can apply the ghost template to yourself. The duration of this ability is calculated before the adjustment to your scores from the template. Also, you (obviously, right? But sometimes they just throw in these weird stipulations I always assume are implied, I suppose to keep people from breaking the game XD) do not get the Rejuvenation Ability provided by this template.

Manifester level: this increases at lvls 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9.

And, finally, the ghost feats, the biggest pain for the whole class. I suppose you would need the Ghostwalk CS to understand these but they are basically just feats to change how you act as the special ghost type character in the setting. For this class however (this whole thing started by me wanting to give a living character these feats) you use them while you are outside of a ghost form. (or in ghost form after lvl 10). Anyway I made changes as follows:

You are already considered to have the following ghost feats*: control visage, ghost hand, solid visage, improved control visage, full manifestation.

You can't accquire these ones at all (I mean, I guess you can if you're an eidolon, they just don't really make much sense otherwise): rend ghost, improved deflection, ghost healing, sculpt ghost body

Otherwise just follow what the feats say. Originally they were going to be at-will, but that seemed like far, far, too much, so I was thinking of making it from 1-5 times/day depending on the feat in question. Only thing is I'm not sure which ones should be which. Also, How the hell would I make a chart detailing each one and how many times/day. It seems rather unwieldy.

*(since they either a: are redundant to the fleshy types, like ghost hand or full manifestation, or b: dont make sense, like control visage. In either case it only counts as having it for the requirements of other feats, you can't use them, even in ghost form after 10th lvl)