PDA

View Full Version : While recovering I need ideas :p

inuyasha
2013-08-15, 07:15 PM
Im recovering from massive leg surgery and I need homebrewing ideas while recovering, anybody have some? Please avoid psionics, ToB, and most alternate magic systems except for incarnum. Im getting so bored and I need something to do. Thanks playground :)

Iceforge
2013-08-15, 07:20 PM
Well, I am creating a setting (community work, see this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298027)in world building)
As I dislike Alignments, but I really like Paladins (as either Holy Knights or Defenders of a Just Cause types), I would love to see a Paladin homebrew that does not utilize Alignments and where falling would be a more personal thing than a punishment from the outside, i.e. being shaken in ones conviction.

inuyasha
2013-08-15, 07:21 PM
Well, I am creating a setting (community work, see this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298027)in world building)
As I dislike Alignments, but I really like Paladins (as either Holy Knights or Defenders of a Just Cause types), I would love to see a Paladin homebrew that does not utilize Alignments and where falling would be a more personal thing than a punishment from the outside, i.e. being shaken in ones conviction.

Okay. I can do it, but I have one question, do you still want spellcasting or not?

Iceforge
2013-08-15, 07:42 PM
Hmm, tough one; Seeing as I might have to rework and homebrew replacements for spellcasters later, it might be best not to make them spellcasters.

But do feel free to give them SLAs and other powers that are fitting for the general theme of paladins, even if they just replicate the effect of standard spells, just avoid alignment specific ones (protection from Evil/chaos/good/law doesn't make much sense in a world without alignments).

You can even give them spells without being bound to the normal system (then I can always alter it a bit once I get to work on the crunch instead of fluff myself if needed be)

One thing I really will love is a functioning smite that is untied from alignment, and might be boosted as well, I think Smite in Pathfinder makes more game-mechanically sense than smite in 3.5, but feel free to go crazy with it and invent your own system if you get a cool idea :D

Palanan
2013-08-15, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by inuyasha
Im no longer stuck on tablet....

What does this mean, exactly? None of the uses of "tablet" I can think of involve a recovery period, unless the tablet was accelerated to a substantial fraction of lightspeed.

erikun
2013-08-15, 08:27 PM
How about an unlimited at-will spellcaster with full access to their spell list? Something like the Warlock and the Beguiler rolled into one.

inuyasha
2013-08-15, 08:27 PM
It means I can use an actual computer as opposed to a tiny little demonic pseudocomputer thing

Debihuman
2013-08-16, 06:34 AM
Glad to hear that you are feeling better! If you want, you can help me with a silly campaign I want to run.

I need two brewmaster prestige classes (one for strictly beer and the other strictly for wine) and they must have some sort of rivalry. See booze domain here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231434.

Debby

inuyasha
2013-08-16, 10:14 AM
Thank you guys so much, erikun I am a little confused, wouldn't that be really op?

inuyasha
2013-08-27, 12:22 PM
So ok, im only occasionally able to get on the computer and so homebrew production is a little slow, these are being worked on, feel free to submit more ideas.

ps im recovering well, but slow, im a month post op, I can walk about 12 feet, and can stand for sbout 15 minutes with a walker I might be doing in patient therapy soon. Its hard but im doin it :smallbiggrin:

CinuzIta
2013-08-28, 03:22 AM
Well, I hope you're doing fine inuyasha!

Anyway, since you want some homework to do, what about something (relatively) easy?

I'm building a setting for a barbarian campaign I'll start in october. For the moment I only have 5 races out of 7-8. If you could help me out at thinking (or creating if you want to) the missing races it would be very nice. So far the races are:

1. Humans
2. Orcs
3. Raptorans (not the same raptorans from races of the wild. Stats doesn't change, but these guys are some kind of half-harpies in my setting)
4. Shifters
5. Gnomes (with slightly different stats)
6. ???
7. ???
(8. ???)

Elves and dwarves will not be playable, as their societies are really secretives and closed to outer world (dwarves) or wild and lost somewhere in the wastelands (elves), so they never leave their people to go adventuring.

Some details on the setting: think at it like a mix of an ancient Heroes' age (like, Heracles and other heroes' era) for d&d and Conan the barbarian's world. An era where history still doesn't exist, as it's being made. Great heroes leading armies and dueling with each other, gods in disguise walking around on the earth sowing demigods here and there, local warlords warring each other, no strong central powers, kingdoms or empires, just "fortified" city states where poor people search protection from armies, raiders, slavers and, obviously, terrible monsters. Note that in this setting wizards do not exist as no one knows how to teach magic, so the only arcane casters are sorcerer and keep in mind that this is a low magic setting for 3.5.

Well, that's it..I hope the infos I provided are somewhat useful to you. I hope you can come out with some nice races:)

LordErebus12
2013-08-28, 03:25 AM
build an artifact that can create doorways into other planes with something as simple as a turn of a key. perhaps its a key, or chalk to draw a doorway, etc.

smoke prism
2013-08-28, 10:18 AM
You could try and state this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQP5yV9yxFc) up.

inuyasha
2013-08-28, 02:43 PM
GREAT! Yay everybody! Im gonna get started right away

P.S. Debi im working on your prestige classes, im making the beermancer first, and im having fun with it, but its fairly slow so let me know if you have a time limit

P.S.S Great news, last night at physical therapy I walked 178 feet, thats a lot for only being a month post op. this is an improvement from the 20 feet I walked a few days before

CinuzIta
2013-08-28, 02:50 PM
just 20 feet? You're a freaking gnome:P

I beg your pardon, I couldn't resist

inuyasha
2013-08-28, 02:51 PM
Well, I hope you're doing fine inuyasha!

Anyway, since you want some homework to do, what about something (relatively) easy?

I'm building a setting for a barbarian campaign I'll start in october. For the moment I only have 5 races out of 7-8. If you could help me out at thinking (or creating if you want to) the missing races it would be very nice. So far the races are:

1. Humans
2. Orcs
3. Raptorans (not the same raptorans from races of the wild. Stats doesn't change, but these guys are some kind of half-harpies in my setting)
4. Shifters
5. Gnomes (with slightly different stats)
6. ???
7. ???
(8. ???)

Elves and dwarves will not be playable, as their societies are really secretives and closed to outer world (dwarves) or wild and lost somewhere in the wastelands (elves), so they never leave their people to go adventuring.

Some details on the setting: think at it like a mix of an ancient Heroes' age (like, Heracles and other heroes' era) for d&d and Conan the barbarian's world. An era where history still doesn't exist, as it's being made. Great heroes leading armies and dueling with each other, gods in disguise walking around on the earth sowing demigods here and there, local warlords warring each other, no strong central powers, kingdoms or empires, just "fortified" city states where poor people search protection from armies, raiders, slavers and, obviously, terrible monsters. Note that in this setting wizards do not exist as no one knows how to teach magic, so the only arcane casters are sorcerer and keep in mind that this is a low magic setting for 3.5.

Well, that's it..I hope the infos I provided are somewhat useful to you. I hope you can come out with some nice races:)

Ive got something pre-made that would be perfect

races 6-7:

Angels
Angels are a tall, strong mountainous race that has large birdlike wings, they cannot fly but they can jump very well. Males often have thick beards and women are always in charge of the household.
Medium size: Angels have no bonuses and penalties for size
Speed: 30ft
+2 Strength -2 Charisma, Angels are strong but are gruff and not very social
Armor restriction:
Angels must get armor specially crafted for them (double the cost) because of their wings
+6 on jump checks, angels cannot fly but their wings help them jump
Favored class: barbarian

Froggers
Froggers are a short, froglike subterranean race that feed on small fish and short mushrooms/plants they grow (which are toxic to other races). They also are great with poisons, coating their blades with poison they have created
Small size: +1 to attack and armor class
Speed: 20ft
+2 Con -2 charisma Froggers are tough but ugly
Slippery skin:
Froggers have a +2 to escape artist checks due to their slippery skin
Poison use:
Froggers can use poison with no risk of poisoning themselves
Poison resistance:
Due to constant exposure to poison, Froggers have a +4 to saves vs. poison
Wet skin:
Fire causes Froggers skin to dry out quickly, they take double damage from it

these were made a while ago, feel free to change anything you want

and race 8
Ditch the RHD of the gnoll and make them a player race, these are the gnolls. Out in the wild, they have cousins known as "feral" gnolls, that have RHD, barbarian levels, and maybe a claw/bite attack. how does that sound?

smoke prism
2013-08-28, 02:51 PM
P.S.S Great news, last night at physical therapy I walked 178 feet, thats a lot for only being a month post op. this is an improvement from the 20 feet I walked a few days before

Thats great news :smallbiggrin:

gurgleflep
2013-08-28, 02:54 PM
Glad to hear that you're on the mend! :smallbiggrin: How do they measure the distance you've walked anyway?

I do have one request, it's simple and rather straightforward but it should be rather fun. The request is a playable velociraptor, as close to Jurassic Park style as possible but with the ability to speak.

inuyasha
2013-08-28, 03:01 PM
just 20 feet? You're a freaking gnome:P

I beg your pardon, I couldn't resist

>:| lol

Glad to hear that you're on the mend! :smallbiggrin: How do they measure the distance you've walked anyway?

I do have one request, it's simple and rather straightforward but it should be rather fun. The request is a playable velociraptor, as close to Jurassic Park style as possible but with the ability to speak.

you got it dude, im going to do it as soon as possible.

P.S. incase it hasnt been said, I dont always have a computer, but sometimes a cheap tablet thats impossible to homebrew on

gurgleflep
2013-08-28, 03:10 PM
*snip*

you got it dude, im going to do it as soon as possible.

P.S. incase it hasnt been said, I dont always have a computer, but sometimes a cheap tablet thats impossible to homebrew on

Many thanks fellow human :smallbiggrin:
It has been said, but at least you've got contact with the outside world!

inuyasha
2013-08-28, 03:22 PM
Not gonna name or add fluff, since its your game gurgleflep :)

Velocithingy racial traits:
+2 Dexterity, +2 strength, -2 wisdom, -2 charisma: velocithingies are strong and quick, but tend to act before they think and are thought of as monsters by other creatures
+2 natural armor
Humanoid (reptillian)
Run: Velocithingies have the run feat for free
Scent
Bite: velocithingies have a natural bite doing 1d6 points of damage

Languages: Draconic, Common ; Bonus languages: Undercommon, Abyssal, Infernal, Orcish, Goblinoid, Giant,
Favored class: Ranger
LA: +1?

hows this gurgleflep, any changes?

gurgleflep
2013-08-28, 03:48 PM
Not gonna name or add fluff, since its your game gurgleflep :)

Velocithingy racial traits:
+2 Dexterity, +2 strength, -2 wisdom, -2 charisma: velocithingies are strong and quick, but tend to act before they think and are thought of as monsters by other creatures
+2 natural armor
Humanoid (reptillian)
Run: Velocithingies have the run feat for free
Scent
Bite: velocithingies have a natural bite doing 1d6 points of damage

Languages: Draconic, Common ; Bonus languages: Undercommon, Abyssal, Infernal, Orcish, Goblinoid, Giant,
Favored class: Ranger
LA: +1?

hows this gurgleflep, any changes?

The only suggestion I can think of is including a base landspeed, but other than that it looks great, thanks :smallsmile:

inuyasha
2013-08-28, 03:49 PM
Here you go Lord Erebus

Minor artifact: Chalk of the planes
This white chalk appears perfectly ordinary, except for the fact it cannot be broken. When a circle or door or similar object is drawn with the chalk as a standard action, a gate to another dimension is created. If detail is added, a specific plane can be chosen. For example, drawing a 7 layered pyramid will bring you to heaven, a mighty sword will bring you to Ysgard, etc. this requires a full round action however. If just a general door is added, with no extra detail, a random plane is chosen by the DM. The item also carries a risk. The first time used in a week, it carries no risk, the second time, there is a 5% chance, 3rd time 10% etc. the table to roll on for bad stuff is below:

{table]roll|bad stuff
1-2|1d4+1 Str damage
3-4|1d4+1 Dex damage
5-6|1d4+1 Con damage
7-8|1d6 Int damage
9-10|1d6 Wis damage
11-12|1d6 Cha damage
13-14|One negative level
15-16|Loss of a small part of the body (examples: a few fingers, nose, ear)
17-18|Loss of a large part of the body (examples: an arm, a leg, large amounts of skin, internal organs)
19-20|Death
[/table]

inuyasha
2013-08-28, 03:50 PM
The only suggestion I can think of is including a base landspeed, but other than that it looks great, thanks :smallsmile:

Oh, base speed 30

LordErebus12
2013-08-28, 04:14 PM
Thanks. my little tweak.

Minor artifact: Chalk of the planes
This white chalk appears perfectly ordinary, except for the fact it cannot be broken and never seems to shrink when used to draw something. A rubber band holds a little rolled up card against it. Reading the card, it shows this.

http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/636931904/draw_a_door_beetlejuice_decal.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true

When a door is drawn, then knocked upon three times (a standard action), a gate to another dimension is created. The door opens automatically, allowing anyone/anything to enter or exit it for three rounds, or until the door is closed. Once closed, the chalk drawing vanishes.

If detail is added to the door before knocking (a full round action, instead of a standard action), a specific plane can be chosen. For example, drawing a 7 layered pyramid will bring you to heaven, a mighty sword will bring you to Ysgard, etc.

If just a general door is added, with no extra detail, a random plane is chosen by the DM. The item also carries a risk. The first time used in a week, it carries no risk, the second time, there is a 5% chance, 3rd time 10%, etc.
Consult the table to roll on to figure out which risk is chosen.

{table]roll|bad stuff
1-2|1d4+1 Str damage
3-4|1d4+1 Dex damage
5-6|1d4+1 Con damage
7-8|1d6 Int damage
9-10|1d6 Wis damage
11-12|1d6 Cha damage
13-14|One negative level
15-16|Loss of a small part of the body (examples: a few fingers, nose, ear)
17-18|Loss of a large part of the body (examples: an arm, a leg, large amounts of skin, internal organs)
19-20|Death
[/table]

CinuzIta
2013-08-28, 06:10 PM
while I find froggers to be interesting, I'm not convinced with angels: raptorans are already in and plus they can fly, moreover I'm not okay with the general feel of the race..:s

Gnolls were already discarded by me at the first races selection, as I don't want to have many "animal-like/too fantasious" races in the setting..in fact they were replaced by shifters..

Anyway, I thought of a good race for the number 6 (agile "evil" humans that make excellent scouts with an innate gift for magic), but I'm still looking for 7 and 8 if you're still willing to help:)

inuyasha
2013-08-28, 06:16 PM
while I find froggers to be interesting, I'm not convinced with angels: raptorans are already in and plus they can fly, moreover I'm not okay with the general feel of the race..:s

Gnolls were already discarded by me at the first races selection, as I don't want to have many "animal-like/too fantasious" races in the setting..in fact they were replaced by shifters..

Anyway, I thought of a good race for the number 6 (agile "evil" humans that make excellent scouts with an innate gift for magic), but I'm still looking for 7 and 8 if you're still willing to help:)

Ok :) I will be thinkin' then

Debihuman
2013-08-29, 12:56 AM
GREAT! Yay everybody! Im gonna get started right away

P.S. Debi im working on your prestige classes, im making the beermancer first, and im having fun with it, but its fairly slow so let me know if you have a time limit

Looking forward to the prestige classes; no time limit as I'm kinda offline for a bit while traveling.

Awesome that you are getting back on your feet. Keep up the good work on the physical therapy!

Debby