PDA

View Full Version : Evil Characters and "Good" weapons.

thefirecrack3r
2013-08-15, 08:32 PM
How do aligned weapons work when being used by characters of a differing alignment? I don't want to make up rules just to look like an ass. But the celestials my players are going to fight are gunna be packing some serious artillery but I don't really want to load them up with lots of magical weapons and armor. If I align the weapons with Good alignments will this prevent my (evil) players from using them? Or maybe turn off the magic powers in their hands or something? I can't find rules for it anywhere.

Medic!
2013-08-15, 08:34 PM
Most good-aligned weapons come with a built-in penalty from their description or from the description of their abilities. Usually (I can't think of a departure from this) it's in the form of 2+ negative levels for wielding the item.

LTwerewolf
2013-08-15, 08:46 PM
Look at the holy enchant in the dmg. 1 negative level to evil whilst being wielded.

Quorothorn
2013-08-15, 08:47 PM
Well, as an example, the Holy enhancement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#holy) bestows a negative level on any Evil creature that holds/carries/uses it for as long as they do so--and since its bonus is +2d6 damage against anything of an Evil alignment, plus making it Good-aligned (thus going through DR/good) it is of somewhat less use to an Evil character, if that helps.

ETA: Swordsage'd.

Rubik
2013-08-15, 09:11 PM
If all the celestials are summoned, all of their equipment dissipates when they "die." This will help keep your players from selling all the loot, assuming you want to control their WBL a bit better. Just make sure to make it up to them in other treasure, though. Low WBL campaigns don't work on so many levels.

Crake
2013-08-15, 09:27 PM
Note that anyone with a sufficient UMD can trick aligned weapons into thinking you're a different alignment and thus not bestowing the negative level