View Full Version : OOTS PDF Not Completely Black and White (No Spoilers)?

Tre of the Wood
2013-08-15, 09:29 PM
Looking at the new PDF, I noticed that if I looked at the screen from the side, there seems to be some color to the "black and white" pdf. Notably, Elan and Haley's hair were clearly colored properly. Any ideas why?

The Giant
2013-08-15, 09:37 PM
No idea. The art was made in black and white. Can you show me a screenshot?

SavageWombat
2013-08-15, 09:42 PM
Do you wear glasses?

My glasses are sufficiently thick that I can create odd optical effects if I look at things sideways. Also, I distinctly remember (as a child) forgetting that I was watching a cartoon on a black/white television, because my brain filled in the missing colors of something I'd watched so often.

That could be the case here.

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-15, 09:57 PM
If you're viewing on a flatscreen, they always have color variations when viewed from the side. It's a trick of the light based on the way flatscreen monitors/tablets/phones display images on the screen.

NerdyKris
2013-08-15, 10:04 PM
It's just an optical illusion created when the contrast becomes greater when you view it from the side. If you didn't know their hair colors, you would just be seeing gray and white.

Tre of the Wood
2013-08-15, 11:26 PM
It's just an optical illusion created when the contrast becomes greater when you view it from the side. If you didn't know their hair colors, you would just be seeing gray and white.

Huh, that's cool. Copy/pasting the colors from Haley's hair to Elan's (and vice versa) in paint doesn't change the effect, they still look to be their natural color. Our brains are weird.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-15, 11:27 PM
You're seeing things

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-08-16, 09:44 AM
Our brains are weird.

It's not so much that our brains are weird, more that we put our brains to weird tasks. To quote Pratchett, our brains evolved for hunting bears with sticks, and for finding dinner without becoming it. If instead we intend to use them to interpret meaning in electron patterns modulating liquid crystals, then we better make allowances for some strangeness.

Grey Wolf

Shivore
2013-08-16, 10:04 AM
And just to put the final nail in the coffin, I ran the PDF through a color output analysis tool and it came back saying the only color used in the PDF was black.

I work in Prepress at a printer and its a slow day, what can I say.