PDA

View Full Version : Any decent sandbox building games around? Particularly MMOs?

mistformsquirrl
2013-08-15, 09:42 PM
So, I desperately need something I can dive into and just get absorbed in for awhile. Also importantly, I've been reading up a bit here and there about Civilization Online, which intrigues me greatly. However that won't be out for a few years yet, and there's the distinct possibility it will never show up in the US so... yeah, not helpful.

Anyway, I guess what I'm after is something like Star Wars Galaxies crafting system - the whole "Build stuff to build more stuff to build more stuff" aspect; I don't mind some combat and all... but mostly right now I just want to build and expand.

The big problem is, most of the games that fit this description that I'm aware of are fairly PVP centric, like EVE... or kind of obnoxious to get into (X3 for example; though I know that one is not an MMO).

So being kind of out of ideas myself... anyone happen to know of any sandbox MMOs with a fair amount of building and crafting at their core that won't throw me to the wolves? Or am I kind of asking for something that quite simply does not exist?

Daremonai
2013-08-16, 08:22 AM
Well, there's always the very obvious answer of Minecraft, though its multiplayer isn't exactly massive. Mods can add complexity to what you craft if the default game is too shallow for you.

Airk
2013-08-16, 08:29 AM
Well, there's always the very obvious answer of Minecraft, though its multiplayer isn't exactly massive. Mods can add complexity to what you craft if the default game is too shallow for you.

Yeah, I basically came in here to say "What? Other than Minecraft?"

Grif
2013-08-16, 08:39 AM
Does it have to be MMOs though?

There's quite a number of browser games that does this, ranging from ridiculously simple and repetitive like the ever detested Farmville to somewhat more complex ones like Pardus.

Grinner
2013-08-19, 08:58 PM
I've never actually played it, but Roblox (http://www.roblox.com/) comes to mind.

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-08-20, 06:27 AM
Terraria is 2D and has lots to explore.

Wookieetank
2013-08-20, 08:31 AM
Terraria is 2D and has lots to explore.

I'll second this and throw in that there is an obnoxious number of things you can craft in this game, you can re-arranged any and everything you see in the game, allows you to have as many players as you can find friends (or play on a public server) and has devoured a good 200+ hours of my life.

On the MMO side of things there isWonderland Online (http://wl.igg.com/) which if you didn't have to farm mobs for ingrediants, would solely be about crafting. Haven't played it in a number of years so I don't know how many changes have been made, but it was enjoyable to boot up now and again.

mistformsquirrl
2013-08-21, 08:45 AM
Thanks all <^-^> I'll give those a shot!

The Succubus
2013-08-21, 08:46 AM
Misty!!!!

*glomps* ^_^

Togath
2013-08-21, 02:29 PM
If I remember right, this is, to an extent, one of the features of Archage.. it doesn't come out in English until 2014 though.