PDA

View Full Version : thri-kreen help

geonova
2013-08-16, 12:36 AM
my DM is going to run a campaign that starts at ECL 5 and my first character concept was a tibbit psion(shaper), but i now want to play a thri-kreen.

the trouble is that i am trying to figure out the two extra levels to reach ECL 5.

the campaign will take place with the party as part of an expansive thieves guild and my character was banished from his tribe for his love of "shiniez" (read treasure).

help please

Lateral
2013-08-16, 12:48 AM
If it were me, I'd go with Warblade 2. Tiger Claw goes great with Thri-Kreen, and because of the way initiator levels work you'll still be able to take 2nd level maneuvers. (Well, assuming your DM isn't a huge stickler for RAW.)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-16, 01:12 AM
Thri-Kreen have two racial HD and a +2 LA, so you would only get one class level at ECL 5 unless you're using the nonpsionic variant. Nonpsionic Thri-Kreen found in MM2 and Shining South only have a +1 LA, and lose the psi-like abilities and naturally psionic trait.

It really depends on what you want the character to do. I'm a big fan of using Thri-Kreen for a Soulbow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2) build since you can fire a mind arrow with each hand at the standard multiweapon fighting penalties. Only get two Soulknife levels, as its third level ability won't ever matter. Consider a single level of Monk for the AC bonus, plus with Zen Archery you can be Wis-SAD. Swordsage is probably the best choice but you'll need two levels, I'd get its second level after you get at least one in Soulbow. Your first Mind Arrow Enhancement should be Lucky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#lucky), assuming each individual mind arrow gets its own 1/day reroll for a missed attack per RAW. Seeking and situationally Bane are also up there on the list, though firing with four arms makes Wounding that much better.

Ardent would actually be a great choice, you get a Wis bonus and with Practiced Manifester you'll still get the same level of powers as a character who doesn't have racial HD. Always use Substitute Powers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) when playing an Ardent as most mantles are lacking powers of a particular level range. I'd use the heaviest armor that doesn't restrict your Dex bonus, a heavy shield, a two handed weapon, and keep your remaining hand free to use Deflect Arrows. I'd go with a Longspear and put a Spiked Gauntlet on your remaining hand to threaten adjacent squares. That free hand can also be used for situational remedies, such as using a Dorje/Wand, Tanglefoot Bag, anything from this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101), etc.

geonova
2013-08-16, 06:51 AM
thanks for the advice, but i don't want to use ToB, psionics or incarnum, so are there any other good combinations.

i was thinking barbarian, druid, ranger, rogue or scout, but anything that isn't an arcane caster is fine

SolioFebalas
2013-08-16, 06:58 AM
You take tri-kreen mainly for two additional arms or another traits are also important ?

geonova
2013-08-16, 07:06 AM
i love thri-kreen for both their concept and their stats (the arms are awesome, but i also like it's ability modifiers).

i was thinking of being a caster and taking the lost traditions feat (or whatever it's called) so that i can be a dex based caster, but any concept that can boost my jump and multiweapon fighting would be helpful.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-16, 07:15 AM
Take a look at obah-blessed template.

+2 LA: Two additional arms, Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2, Cha +4, +4 grapple and Multiweapon Fighting feat.
+3 LA: Four additional arms, Str +4, Dex +6, Con +4, Cha +6, +8 grapple and Multiweapon Fighting feat.

and no racial HD => more class levels.

Feytalist
2013-08-16, 07:22 AM
Throwing out ToB, Psionics and Incarnum means you lose most of what makes Thri-Kreen awesome (mostly: stuff to do with your extra arms). But no matter.

Going caster who focuses on giving/modifying natural attacks could be fun. Bite of the X plus girallion's blessing plus maybe claw of the something, something like that.

All of that only goes online much later, though. So for ECL 5... meh. Whirling frenzy barbarian?

VariSami
2013-08-16, 07:23 AM
I would probably suggest at least a few levels of rogue for the fluff (and because the skills make you a capable member of the guild). Also, I have heard that sneak attacking with multiple weapons is a somewhat effective way to utilize the ability. Scout would probably need some way to make multiple attacks with skirmish to be effective, and this would effectively mean dipping Barbarian with Lion Totem for Pounce.

Yora
2013-08-16, 07:36 AM
How about a ranger, silently stalking the night and murder-jump your victims.

FullStop
2013-08-16, 08:39 AM
Seconding Lion Totem Barb. Charge around clawing dudes. I've been thinking about an unarmed build using a thri-kreen that starts out like that, though eventually he transitions to using Improved/Superior Unarmed Strike + Multiweapon Fighting.