PDA

View Full Version : Bakemonogatari

SixWingedAsura
2013-08-16, 08:15 AM
Okay. Some of you know what this is, so you probably already know off the bat what I'm about to ask, but for those who don't know what the title is alluding to, Bakemonogatari is one of my favorite anime of all time. The more I've been watching, the more I come to one conclusion.

I wanna play a tabletop Bakemonogatari-esque game. What do I mean by this? Well, I'd love something very roleplay intensive while allowing combat to still be viable, if not the wisest course of action? (Most fights in that show tend to be brutally one-sided. I'd like to see players face overwhelming odds by using their brains and experience instead of their fists.) Preferably something that's modern day but includes fantasy elements (Vampires, Werewolves, Ghosts, Spirits, Ect.)

So does anyone have any ideas as to what system this might be best played in?

Eric Tolle
2013-08-16, 11:19 AM
Well, Fate Core is my go-to game for cinematic roleplaying. The Aspects system is excellent for defining the elements of a character that are important, like personality, goals, feats, and troubles. Monsters could easily be built using Aspects and Stunts. I recommend checking it out.

Terraoblivion
2013-08-16, 11:32 AM
This sounds like a rather bad idea. Not sure how you'd port the character interactions or visual style of Bakemonogatari over to RP'ing and without that it's just slightly odd urban fantasy.

Geostationary
2013-08-16, 04:54 PM
Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine. I've seen the Techno genre described as a Nisio Isin story generator.

Techno gaming takes your urban fantasy and stylizes it — it’s got the same basic genre concept, “the world around you is amazing,” but it trades in its verisimilitude for a bunch of extra style, symbolism, and cool.
In addition to focusing on sympathetic actions, foreshadowing (defined as paying a lot of attention to something in-game), and discovery, it also makes heavy use of what are called 'Ritual Actions' and 'Transitions' in the system

(Triggering or Participating in a) Ritual, a special event where things get a little weird and abstract, with special game rules, psychedelic phenomena, and/or strange in-character posing. Think magical girl transformations, cinematic drug trips, and travel montages; and
(Reacting to a) Transition, where things get so weird and metaphysical that you go out of normal play entirely. Think stock footage, minigames, religious experiences, and random chapter-header poetry in novels.

You'd still have to work some to achieve the style, but the system does give you good tools to do so. Direct combat, while entirely viable, tends to be a subpar choice because characters have a lot of tools at their disposal to make it so (the health system measures player agency) and it's resource intensive to boot unless you start getting clever.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-17, 12:14 AM
This sounds like a rather bad idea. Not sure how you'd port the character interactions or visual style of Bakemonogatari over to RP'ing and without that it's just slightly odd urban fantasy.

Seconding this, but even more so.

Things That Make Monogatari Good or Interesting:
70% Dialogue and Characters
25% Art/Cinematic Style
5% Other

But if you really want to try, World of Darkness seems like a good enough fit.

SixWingedAsura
2013-08-17, 03:57 AM
I know it'd be difficult and probably wouldn't translate well, but it's just such an awesome series, that I would love to find a way to bring it even slightly to table top form.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-17, 04:00 AM
I know it'd be difficult and probably wouldn't translate well, but it's just such an awesome series, that I would love to find a way to bring it even slightly to table top form.

The system is mostly beside the point, the important thing is to have a group that's really, really good at roleplaying.

SixWingedAsura
2013-08-17, 04:09 AM
I might go with the Fate system as the actually seems to force people to Roleplay and rewards them for good roleplay. Not to mention the battles seem to work the way I've been looking for.

EDIT: And as far as Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine would go, it sounds incredible awesome, but sadly I have no cash to fund the Kickstarter to obtain the PDF and I do have the FATE system already on hand