PDA

View Full Version : On the Origin of PCs (spoiler) Huge Error

TheNameIsDumas
2013-08-16, 09:06 AM
On page 26, it says "thog not in this book", but he clearly is, right there on page 26, where he says "thog not in this book".

Vinsfeld
2013-08-16, 09:39 AM
On page 26, it says "thog not in this book", but he clearly is, right there on page 26, where he says "thog not in this book".

I call Irony.

Rakoa
2013-08-16, 09:41 AM
Someone alert the Giant.

Roland Itiative
2013-08-16, 10:49 AM
Only one solution to this. They'll have to recall all books so they can fix this story-breaking mistake. Since I don't live in the US, I'll be shipping mine ahead of time so it can get there fast.

NerdyKris
2013-08-16, 10:59 AM

Dammit, I laughed. :smallbiggrin:

martianmister
2013-08-16, 11:35 AM
Only one solution to this. They'll have to recall all books so they can fix this story-breaking mistake. Since I don't live in the US, I'll be shipping mine ahead of time so it can get there fast.

It isn't enough. All copies should be burned, immediately.

TheNameIsDumas
2013-08-16, 11:55 AM
I fixed mine by using white-out over "not". Now thog says "thog in this book", but I caused a plot-hole, because there is no longer a reason for thog to be sad.

137beth
2013-08-16, 11:58 AM
And ya know what's even worse?!? Redcloak says he isn't in the book either, but he is, in the intro, saying he isn't in the book! I mean, Thog can be written off as Thog just being dumb. But Redcloak? He's smart, everything he says should be perfectly accurate:smalleek:

SaintRidley
2013-08-16, 12:04 PM
And ya know what's even worse?!? Redcloak says he isn't in the book either, but he is, in the intro, saying he isn't in the book! I mean, Thog can be written off as Thog just being dumb. But Redcloak? He's smart, everything he says should be perfectly accurate:smalleek:

Redcloak's just tricky with prepositions. What he's really saying is that while he's in the frontmatter of the book, he lacks a presence anywhere within the main content of the book. He's sitting on the margins, watching from outside, waiting for a scene which never comes. All because the director didn't need him that day.

IW Judicator
2013-08-16, 04:50 PM
I propose it is simply one of several occurrences of Schrodinger's Thog.

karkus
2013-08-16, 06:02 PM
That wasn't Thog; that was Thog's identical twin, who was using 3rd-person pronouns at the time.

Thog [is] not in this book. Thog [is] sad.

He was referring to his distressed brother, you guys.

Kish
2013-08-16, 06:37 PM
I fixed mine by using white-out over "not". Now thog says "thog in this book", but I caused a plot-hole, because there is no longer a reason for thog to be sad.
Clearly being in the book makes him sad.

Why that is...who knows? Maybe he's upset that he gets to be there and his best buddy Nale doesn't. Maybe seeing how ungrateful Sir Francois was for Elan's friendship makes him sad.

Ron Miel
2013-08-16, 06:42 PM
And Sir Not Appearing In This Film did appear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOKMXn4KJ8

Nerd-o-rama
2013-08-16, 06:47 PM
It's called Unreliable Narrator, guys.

Ted The Bug
2013-08-16, 07:20 PM
Wow, that's some big stuff.

I think I'm done with this comic. That's a plot hole too major to ignore. Bye, everyone.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-16, 07:26 PM
It isn't enough. All copies should be burned, immediately.

All of us who read it must die, too.

davidbofinger
2013-08-16, 07:42 PM
Thog lied??? But how could an evil half-orc lie?

137beth
2013-08-16, 09:11 PM
Redcloak's just tricky with prepositions. What he's really saying is that while he's in the frontmatter of the book, he lacks a presence anywhere within the main content of the book. He's sitting on the margins, watching from outside, waiting for a scene which never comes. All because the director didn't need him that day.

No, because if you look closely at panel 6 of page <secret>, you can see Redcloak in the background of the actual comic!
I'm not gonna tell you which page though, since that would ruin the surprise:smalltongue:

eaglewingz
2013-08-17, 12:46 AM
But how could an evil half-orc lie?

Is Thog evil?
'Cause his character growth clearly makes him some other alignment altogether.

SavageWombat
2013-08-17, 01:05 AM
Is Thog evil?
'Cause his character growth clearly makes him some other alignment altogether.

OK, there's sarcasm and then there's absurdity. If anything, Thog has character shrinkage.

GSFB
2013-08-17, 01:14 AM
That wasn't Thog, or any relative of Thog. That was Tarquin. Why? Because, being so genre-savvy for so long, he already knew even way back then, the day would come when he would have to impersonate Thog - so he was practicing.

skim172
2013-08-17, 01:58 AM
It's actually much more complicated than that.

Consider Thog. :thog: Thog says he is not in the book, yet he is clearly in the book.

But, Thog is only in the book for the purposes of observing that he is not in the book. Thog is only in the book because he is not in the book - if he had realized he is in the book, then he would not have chosen to speak - and therefore would not be in the book. :smallconfused:

In short, had Thog never observed that he was not in the book, the observation would have been true, but it would never have been made.
In the very process of making the observation, Thog renders the observation untrue. :smalleek:

I'll let Thog sum up.

:thog:: Thog not in this book. Thog sad.
But Thog IN book because Thog sad.
But if Thog in book, Thog not sad.
Thog not sad -> Thog not in book to say Thog sad.
But if Thog not in book -> Thog sad.
Thog consider paradoxical nature of strange binary; Thog observe objective truth, thus rendering truth objectively false. Thog statement maybe both true and untrue simultaneously?
Quantum concept intrigue Thog, but Thog lack intellectual foundation to properly comprehend and define new ideas. Thog understand now meaning of Mom statement that higher education necessary for richer life.
Thog now experience regret of misspent youth. :smallfrown:

137beth
2013-08-17, 10:37 AM
It's actually much more complicated than that.

Consider Thog. :thog: Thog says he is not in the book, yet he is clearly in the book.

But, Thog is only in the book for the purposes of observing that he is not in the book. Thog is only in the book because he is not in the book - if he had realized he is in the book, then he would not have chosen to speak - and therefore would not be in the book. :smallconfused:

In short, had Thog never observed that he was not in the book, the observation would have been true, but it would never have been made.
In the very process of making the observation, Thog renders the observation untrue. :smalleek:

I'll let Thog sum up.

:thog:: Thog not in this book. Thog sad.
But Thog IN book because Thog sad.
But if Thog in book, Thog not sad.
Thog not sad -> Thog not in book to say Thog sad.
But if Thog not in book -> Thog sad.
Thog consider paradoxical nature of strange binary; Thog observe objective truth, thus rendering truth objectively false. Thog statement maybe both true and untrue simultaneously?
Quantum concept intrigue Thog, but Thog lack intellectual foundation to properly comprehend and define new ideas. Thog understand now meaning of Mom statement that higher education necessary for richer life.
Thog now experience regret of misspent youth. :smallfrown:
And we have a winner!

gorocz
2013-08-17, 10:37 AM
Thog lied??? But how could an evil half-orc lie?

How could a chaotic evil half-orc lie? It's just not in his nature to do something like this, he must've been under some kind of mind-affecting spell...

I propose it is simply one of several occurrences of Schrodinger's Thog.

So... You're saying that we can't know whether he is or isn't there until we observe him being or not being there and up until that point he is both in the book and not in it at once, as well as neither of those options, so in fact he is right whether he says he is or isn't, but would be right as much if he was to say that he's both there and isn't there, because at the moment when he said it (the exact moment of printing), he wasn't presumably observed by anyone and was only observed later at the point when the comic was being read, at which point the statement is already past and therefore immutable? Is that what you're saying?