PDA

View Full Version : Improving Familiar

Ruethgar
2013-08-16, 09:26 AM
Apart from the alternate Improved Familiar use in Dragon 331 and feats in PHBII and Dragon 280, are there any feats to make a familiar more powerful? I was wanting to go with a swarm familiar so evasion would be nice to get as well.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-16, 10:42 AM
Well, there is a handbook somewhere. Let me look through my internet...

Here you go (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=hejumhrgserq9ug13qrqt1rr42&topic=7508.0)

Ruethgar
2013-08-16, 10:52 AM
I've seen that copy pasted about already, are there really so few ways as that to augment familiars? No other dragon mags or something?

rexreg
2013-08-16, 12:32 PM
if you/your DM are willing to use spells from 2nd ed., there is a line of spells called Familiar Enhancer X - one spell for each spell level 2 through spell level 9...
these spells allow for spell-like abilities & raised Int & such...could probably be tweaked to include 3.X abilities

Keneth
2013-08-16, 12:35 PM
I don't know about 3.5, but there are a few ways of improving (or at least altering) your familiar in Pathfinder.

Segev
2013-08-16, 01:01 PM
I've seen that copy pasted about already, are there really so few ways as that to augment familiars? No other dragon mags or something?

Honestly, take a solid look at the number of spells that are cool for sharing with them. That's a LOT of ways to improve them.

Ruethgar
2013-08-16, 01:18 PM
Aye, the spells sharing is awesome, but I was wanting something a bit more permanent. After a few of the builds I dished out in the past, my DM has become especially fond of anti-magic, disjunction and dispell.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-16, 01:24 PM
You could always PAO it.

Spuddles
2013-08-16, 01:28 PM
The following requires a lenient DM:

Draconic Familiar for a tome dragon (dragon magazine). It's the only wyrmling true dragon to come with spell casting. Tome dragon isnt on the draconic familiar list, but you ought to get one by spellcaster level 12 or 15, imo.

Apply Loredrake template and use greater bestow curse to inflict riddled and spellhoarding.

Then have it join a mage guild in Pathfinder's Golarion.

Use limited wish and/or DCFS to repick feats.

You now have a pet that casts as a level 8 wizard, knows all divinations and conjurations on the sorc list, and has like 25 int. Use the feats to get more spells known. Your spellbook is now a dragon!

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-16, 01:43 PM
Well, you could get draconic familiar and then cast enlarge person and alter self on the familiar to turn it into a better dragon.

zagan
2013-08-16, 04:39 PM
In case in can help I've compilled of list of possible familiar, here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187251)

One cool trick consist of playing a changelling wizard and take the 5th level ACF from Race of Eberron. It allow your familiar to change shape into that of any other familiar aviable to you.

Another nice one, but feat intensive, is to take the share soulmeld feat + a number of shape soulmeld feat. It can greattky increasse the power of your familiar. (In gestalt with an incarnate or a totemist it's awesome)

Ruethgar
2013-08-16, 07:04 PM
Definitely favoriting that for use in later builds, thank you.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-16, 07:19 PM
Wait, imagine a changeling wizard / druid / arcane herophant.

Your familiar companion could turn into any animal you could select as a druid! That would be awesome!

Ruethgar
2013-08-16, 08:26 PM
Um, are there updated rules for hive minds, or is BoVD still in effect?