PDA

View Full Version : Kobold + Undead Magic Jar question

Whisper rider
2013-08-16, 03:29 PM
1. Im a Kobold Sorcerer
2. I Create an Fire Giant Skelleton (animate dead)
3. I Cast Magic Jar

Can i posses the Skelleton? ... Does I get the granted Features of an Undead And the proeficiency of the Receptor body like weapon proeficiency?

thanks

Segev
2013-08-16, 03:59 PM
You keep your Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, level, class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, alignment, and mental abilities. The body retains its Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, hit points, natural abilities, and automatic abilities. A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal. You can’t choose to activate the body’s extraordinary or supernatural abilities. The creature’s spells and spell-like abilities do not stay with the body.

That is the list of what you get from "you" and what you get from "your new body."

Because it specifies that you can possess a "creature," and doesn't give any restrictions on what kind of creature, you can, in fact, possess the fire giant skeleton.

The skeleton retains its Str, Dex, and (lack of) Con, as well as its hp. You (or rather, your DM) will have to make a bit of a judgment call on what its "natural abilities" and "automatic abilities" are; it keeps those. This likely encompasses natural attacks, NAC, and the like, but probably doesn't encompass weapon proficiencies. But that's a rough guess.

If you really want specifics on the Fire Giant skeleton, I suggest laying out what the skeleton itself has, and labeling it as something you think you get or not. Then let others respond to each point by point to see if you agree with their assessments or think they're wrong (at least, where they disagree with your estimate).

Arkusus
2013-08-16, 04:15 PM
*sigh* Magic jar is amazing.

Really amazing.

Really super amazing.

Btw, if you're looking at possessing undead (and if you aren't already) a Dread Necromancer (especially with some of the Corpsecrafter Feats) can make your host body a lot better.

Segev
2013-08-16, 04:32 PM
Indeed. A Dread Necromancer 8 with Corpsecrafter animating dead in a Desecrated area creates undead with +4 (enhancement bonus) Str and Dex and +6 hp/HD.

I believe D&D "average hp per HD" rules for monsters make that 18 hp/HD for your minions.