PDA

View Full Version : Silly class idea looking for serious PEACH.

Xaotiq1
2013-08-16, 04:35 PM
This is an attempt to make a class designed to take advantage of action points. I've always liked the idea of bennies that the PC's and major NPC's could use to tip things in their favor. Below is my opening shot, The Madcap.

What I'd like is a new set of eyes (or forty) to answer/confirm the following:
That the class is at least high tier 4.
That the class features showcase action points and their use.
That the class is one a player would take at least 10 levels of without thinking twice.
That there is nothing overtly broken-sauce about the class or its features.

As with all of my please for PEACH, all constructive criticism weightily appreciated!

MADCAP
“The question is not ‘What are we going to do today?’; the question is, ‘What aren’t we going to do today?’”
—Ferris, Madcap
Got to the tower; check. Got the treasure; check. Fought the dragon; check. Returned the Princess to her estate; check. Okay, now what?

Madcaps are consummate adventurers who are constantly questing and seeking new experiences. They believe that the spirit of adventure sustains them and will always help them succeed.

Adventures: A madcap will jump at any chance to get their hands dirty. Even a lowly dire rat infestation is an epic quest in the eyes of the madcap. They leave no challenge unanswered, no stone unturned, and no treasure chest unopened.

Characteristics: Even in a world where holy-folk can raise a person from the dead, a madcap attacks life as if it was only able to be lived once. They are unrepentantly curious and often rush to complete a task without planning

Alignment: Madcaps are about action. This would lead many to believe all madcaps are chaotic. This is not true as the desire to do is present in all alignments. Rare, though is the madcap neutral on both axes.

Religion: Madcaps worship a variety of deities and have holy symbols for every occasion. A typical madcap might offer one prayer to Obad-Hai before venturing into the wilds, and another to Moradin while traveling through an abandoned dwarf mine. Madcaps pray to the god that will help complete the task.

If a madcap favors one deity, it is usually Fharlanghn, the god of roads, travel, and luck. But few madcaps are religious fanatics. Instead, they see Fharlanghn as the ideal manifestation of their talents, a wizened traveler who acts at all the right times.

Background: When the town was beset by monstrous vermin, you were there, pitchfork in hand. When the Baron’s daughter was stricken with a supernatural fever, you sought out the herbs that would cure her; and in both cases you were still a child.

Heroics come naturally to madcaps. Even evil madcaps cannot deny the rush felt from a completed quest. You have been a hero all your life. Now you have a chance to the greatest hero!

Races: Most madcaps come from races whose lifespan is short. Humans, half-elves, halflings, and goblins make up the majority of madcaps. Elves appreciate the bon vivant nature of the madcap, but generally lack the want for constant questing that the madcap usually possesses. Additionally, dwarves see the madcap as flighty pests. Though, when push comes to shove, they have to admit the presence of a madcap useful in many situations.
Other Classes: Madcaps work well with other classes whose role is clearly defined, such as fighters, barbarians, clerics, sorcerers, and wizards. You appreciate the dual roles of paladins, druids, bards, and rangers as their broad skill sets allow them to act as needed. You have the most in common with rogues and bards, whose reliance on cunning and luck is similar to your own.
Role: You adventure out of a sense of need, a desire to travel and experience as much of the world as you can. If you hear rumors of an island with beaches of diamonds and
mountains of gold, you want to find the island, clear out the beasts that live there, and build a city on it; so everyone will know of its existence! To other adventurers, the entrance to a dungeon is a gateway to treasure and power. To you, it is a promise of glory waiting in the dungeon’s deepest levels.

Think of yourself as an expert who seeks out difficulties and overcomes them.

Versatility is the key to your success. In some encounters, you draw your weapon and hold back the enemy. In others, you slip around behind the foe to unleash a potent spell. At other times, you charge forward; springing all the traps so your allies don’t have to; because, fate is on your side.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Madcaps have the following game statistics.

Abilities: Charisma> Constitution> Strength/Dexterity> Intelligence> Wisdom

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d8

Starting Age: As barbarian

Starting Gold: As Fighter: 6d4 x 10; 180gp

The Madcap
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|2nd good save, action points|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Fast action|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Uncanny dodge|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Spells|0|—|—|—

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Easy action (use action points 2 times per round)|1|—|—|—

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Show of faith (or Succor punch)|1|—|—|—

7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Improved uncanny dodge|2|0|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6||2|1|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Evasion or mettle|2|1|0|—

10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|My turn!|3|2|1|—

11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|Intense action|3|2|1|0

12th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8||3|2|2|1

13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Easy action (use action points 3 times per round)|3|3|2|1

14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|Re-action|3|3|2|2

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9||3|3|3|2

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10||3|3|3|2

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10||3|3|3|3

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|Non-stop action|3|3|3|3

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Back in action!|3|3|3|3

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Easy action (use action points 4 times per round)|3|3|3|3[/table]
*Provided the bard has a high enough Charisma score to have a bonus spell of this level.
Class Skills
The madcap’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int Modifier) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int Modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the madcap.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The madcap is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and all shields except tower shields.

2nd Good Save: At 1st level, a madcap chooses either Fortitude or Reflex saves. That category of save gains the “Good” progression. If they choose Fortitude, they get Mettle at 9th level. If they choose Reflex, they receive Evasion at 9th level.

Action Points: Presented in the d20SRD and the Eberron Campaign Setting, p45, action points allow the madcap to overcome obstacles that hinder their journey. Unlike other characters; the madcap gains 5 + madcap level + Cha modifier action points per level. The maximum number of action points a madcap can have is equal to their Charisma score + Madcap level. Any unspent action points when the madcap gains a level are lost.

Once per level, a madcap can make a Cha check. The madcap cannot use action points to improve or alter this check in any way. Based on the result of this check, they regain a number of action points per the table below.
{table=head]
Check Result|
AP's Recovered
0|Madcap Level -4
1-3|Madcap Level -3
4-6|Madcap Level -2
7-9|Madcap Level -1
10-12|Madcap Level
13-15|Madcap Level +1
16-18|Madcap Level +2
19-21|Madcap Level +3
22+|madcap Level +4[/table]

What can action points do?

Add to a Roll:
When you spend 1 action point to improve a d20 roll, you add the result of a 1d6 to your d20 roll (including attack rolls, saves, checks, or any other roll of a d20) to help you meet or exceed the target number. You can declare the use of 1 action point to alter a d20 roll after the roll is made, but only before the GM reveals the result of that roll. You can’t use an action point to alter the result of a d20 roll when you are taking 10 or taking 20.

Special Actions:
A character can perform certain tasks by spending an action point. In addition to the actions described below, some prestige classes or feats (see below) might allow the expenditure of action points in order to gain or activate specific abilities, at the GM’s option.

Activate Class Ability: A madcap can spend 1 action point to gain another use of a class ability that has a limited number of uses per day. For example, a madcap might spend an action point to gain another use of her "My Turn!" ability.

Boost Defense: A madcap can spend 1 action point as a free action when fighting defensively. This gives him double the normal benefits for fighting defensively for the entire round (+4 dodge bonus to AC; +6 if he has 5 or more ranks in Tumble).

Emulate Feat: At the beginning of a madcap’s turn, he may spend 1 action point as a free action to gain the benefit of a feat he doesn’t have. He must meet the prerequisites of the feat. He gains the benefit until the beginning of his next turn.
A madcap may qualify for feats that usually require a minimum number of fighter levels (such as Weapon Specialization) as if you had a fighter level equal to your madcap level –2.

For example, a 6th-level madcap could take Weapon Specialization, since you’re treated as being a 4th-level fighter for this purpose.

Extra attack: During any round in which a madcap takes a full attack action, he may spend 1 action point to make an extra attack at his highest base attack bonus. Action points may be used in this way with both melee and ranged attacks.

Spell Boost: A madcap can spend 1 action point as a free action to increase the effective caster level of one of his spells by 2. He must decide whether or not to spend an action point in this manner before casting the spell.

Spell Recall: Madcaps can spend 1 action point to cast a spell without using one of their daily spell slots. This use of an action point is a free action and can only be done as the spell is being cast.
A madcap cannot recall any given spell more times than they could normally cast it; and cannot use action points to exceed that limit.

Stabilize: Any time a madcap is dying, he can spend 1 action point to become stable at his current hit point total.

Fast Action (Ex): A 2nd level mad cap knows that he who hesitates doesn’t finish the quest. Once per day per madcap level, she can move up to her base speed as a swift action.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 3rd level, a madcap retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized, or their action point total is 0. If a madcap already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Spells: Beginning at 4th level, a madcap gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells, which are drawn from the Wu-Jen spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, just as a sorcerer can (see page 54 of the Player's Handbook).

To learn or cast a spell, a madcap must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level (Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, Cha 12 for 2nd-level spells, and so on). The DC for a saving throw against a madcap's spell is 10 + spell level + madcap's Cha modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a madcap can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The madcap. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score (see Table 1—1, page 8 of the Player's Handbook). When Table: The Madcap indicates that a madcap gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level (for instance, 1st-level spells for a 4th-level madcap), he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Charisma score for that spell level.

A madcap's selection of spells is extremely limited. A madcap begins play knowing no spells but gains one or more new spells at certain levels, as indicated on Table: The Madcap. Unlike spells per day, his Charisma does not affect the number of spells he knows; the numbers on Table: The Madcap is fixed.)

A madcap’s caster level is equal to their class level.

Madcap Spells Known
{table=head]Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th
1st|-|-|-|-
2nd|-|-|-|-
3rd|-|-|-|-
4th|2*|-|-|-
5th|2|-|-|-
6th|2|-|-|-
7th|2|-|-|-
8th|2|2*|-|-
9th|3|2|-|-
10th|3|2|-|-
11th|3|2|2*|-
12th|3|3|2|-
13th|3|3|2|-
14th|4|3|3|2*
15th|4|3|3|2
16th|4|4|3|3
17th|4|4|4|3
18th|4|4|4|4
19th|5|4|4|4
20th|5|5|5|5[/table]
*Provided the madcap has a high enough Charisma score to have a bonus spell of this level.

Easy Action (Ex): When they reach 5th level; the madcap can use action points twice per round instead of once.

At 13th level, the madcap can use action points three times per round. At 20th level, a madcap can use action points up to 4 times in a single round.

Show of Faith (or Succor Punch) (Su): Madcaps, even those of evil alignment, tend to be mindful of divine presences in the world. As such, they gain a rudimentary knowledge of divine magic.
3+Cha modifier times per day, the madcap can channel divine energy as a standard action. You can use this energy to heal injuries, harm undead, or turn undead. If you use this ability to heal injuries, you channel positive energy to heal a living creature of a number of points of damage equal to twice your madcap level times your Cha modifier. The energy will also deal the same amount of damage to undead targets.

Beginning at 11th level, you can choose to spend some of the healing bestowed by your touch of vitality to remove other harmful conditions affecting the target.

For every 5 points of your healing ability you expend, you can cure 1 point of ability damage or remove the dazed, fatigued, or sickened condition from one individual.

For every 10 points of your healing ability you expend, you can remove the exhausted, nauseated, poisoned, or stunned condition from one individual.

For every 20 points of your healing ability you expend, you can remove a negative level or the blinded, deafened, or diseased condition from one individual.

You can remove a condition (or more than one condition) and heal damage with the same touch, so long as you expend the required number of points. For example, if you wanted to heal 12 points of damage and remove the blinded and exhausted conditions from a target, you would have to expend 42 points (12 hit points restored plus 20 points for blinded plus 10 points for exhausted).

If you use this ability to turn undead, you act as a cleric of a level equal to your madcap level. No matter what your alignment, you cannot control undead—your understanding of divine magic is too rudimentary.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 7th level and higher, a madcap can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the madcap by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has madcap levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Evasion or Mettle (Ex): At 9th level a madcap gains the benefit of either Mettle or Evasion depending on which save they chose to boost at 1st level.

My Turn! (Ex): When a madcap reaches 10th level, once per day per 5 madcap levels, they can spend 4 action points to move themselves to any point in the initiative order as a free action.

Intense Action: At 11th level, a madcap’s abilities to alter fate increases yet again. Once per encounter, when making an action roll; the madcap adds all of the dice rolled instead of taking the highest result.

Re-Action: A 15th level madcap can spend 2 action points to re-roll a failed saving throw or skill check. The madcap cannot use this ability if they have already altered the roll with action points. Additionally, they cannot use action points to add to the re-roll.

Non-Stop Action (Ex): At 18th level and higher, a madcap can slip out of bonds, grapples, and even the effects of confining spells easily. This ability duplicates the effect of a freedom of movement spell, except that it is always active. A madcap loses this benefit when wearing heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load; or if their action point total is 0.

Back in Action! (Ex): At 19th level, whenever the madcap reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by a single target effect, she can spend half of her remaining action points (minimum 5) to instead be reduced to 1 hit point.

Morgarion
2013-08-17, 11:17 AM
I noticed two things.

If the maximum action points a madcap can have is equal to their madcap level, what is the purpose of receiving 5+madcap level+Cha modifier at every level up? I'm only familiar with the general concept, so perhaps there is a finer point that relates to multi-classing or something.

Secondly, there's something about the Back in Action feature that bugs me a little. While I realize it is a high level feature and it should be awesome, the way that the cost is essentially relative to what you have at the time you use it seems weird. So, if you only have one or two action points left, then the gross cost is as low as possible. But if you have nineteen or twenty action points, then the gross cost is huge.

Xaotiq1
2013-08-17, 09:51 PM
Fixed the action point cap.

Anyone have thoughts about how to make "Back in Action" better??

Talkan
2013-08-19, 09:30 AM
Maybe if it had a cost equal to your level? And I would even go so far as to say the sum of all your levels, that way you don't take 1 level in Madcap and then 19 in Barbarian and say "Oh, I can just spend 1 Action Point to not die from this! What a good Choice!"

I was originally thinking twice your level total, but I wasn't really sure if you would ever have that many Action Points. Honestly, I'm not sure if I would ever have any Action Points to spend on this. I feel like I would initially spending them like they were copper pieces and suddenly realize I was down to single digits. I realize that once per level you can regain lots of them, and that I would quickly learn to value them, I just wanted to include this bit.

I'm not exceptionally good at this sort of stuff, but a static cost seems like a better trade-off than a variable one to me.

I would also say that it probably shouldn't prevent death from Massive Damage. From what I have learned from gamers around where I live, that isn't a popular rule, but it does make sense and most variant rules I have read with a feature similar to this have that included.

I also think that the Ability "Fast Action" should be changed to something similar to "Quickened Movement", because at first glance I thought it was going to allow you to make a standard Action as a Free Action.

***EDIT***

Oh, and the "My Turn!" Ability is one I can see having the potential to cause issues in parties. I can see three sides of it: If I had the ability, I would want to use it, but if I was the party Swashbuckler with a Dex of 18 and Improved Initiative and suddenly the other guy was at the front of the Initiative order, I would feel really ticked and robbed of my planning and (potentially) my high initiative order. Also, I have done a bit of DMing, and initiative order is sometimes the only thing that keep my combat from turning into a mad house of attacking everything in sight. This is usually when the players just want hack and slash, but if someone was randomly jumping around through the initiative order practically for free, it would make everything even more chaotic. I do like how you did the daily uses, though! That feels like it balances it out more. I do think it should have an Action Point Cost, though.

Xaotiq1
2013-08-19, 11:08 AM
Maybe if it had a cost equal to your level? And I would even go so far as to say the sum of all your levels, that way you don't take 1 level in Madcap and then 19 in Barbarian and say "Oh, I can just spend 1 Action Point to not die from this! What a good Choice!"

Back in Action requires 19 levels of Madcap before you can use it.

I was originally thinking twice your level total, but I wasn't really sure if you would ever have that many Action Points. Honestly, I'm not sure if I would ever have any Action Points to spend on this. I feel like I would initially spending them like they were copper pieces and suddenly realize I was down to single digits. I realize that once per level you can regain lots of them, and that I would quickly learn to value them, I just wanted to include this bit.

I'm not exceptionally good at this sort of stuff, but a static cost seems like a better trade-off than a variable one to me.

I would also say that it probably shouldn't prevent death from Massive Damage. From what I have learned from gamers around where I live, that isn't a popular rule, but it does make sense and most variant rules I have read with a feature similar to this have that included.

I hear you. I'll be making some edits throughout the day.
We'll see what happens.

I also think that the Ability "Fast Action" should be changed to something similar to "Quickened Movement", because at first glance I thought it was going to allow you to make a standard Action as a Free Action.

You know, I get where you're coming from; but most of the class features are "X Action". I'm going for the theme. :smalltongue:

***EDIT***

Oh, and the "My Turn!" Ability is one I can see having the potential to cause issues in parties. I can see three sides of it: If I had the ability, I would want to use it, but if I was the party Swashbuckler with a Dex of 18 and Improved Initiative and suddenly the other guy was at the front of the Initiative order, I would feel really ticked and robbed of my planning and (potentially) my high initiative order. Also, I have done a bit of DMing, and initiative order is sometimes the only thing that keep my combat from turning into a mad house of attacking everything in sight. This is usually when the players just want hack and slash, but if someone was randomly jumping around through the initiative order practically for free, it would make everything even more chaotic. I do like how you did the daily uses, though! That feels like it balances it out more. I do think it should have an Action Point Cost, though.

HOLY PANTS! Forgot the AP cost for My Turn!. :smallmad: Got that fixed. Oy. As to your concern, were I a DM with players that didn't run through a battle plan before attacking and discussing who moves when, I would probably break and go running naked through the streets. Maybe my players are simply more meticulous than some.

That said, I understand. I'll be fiddling with that as well.

Hey, either of you guys (or anyone else out there) think that the ability at 6th level should be "Show of Faith" or "Succor Punch"???

***EDIT*** Made a couple small changes. Hope this makes things better.