PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Undetectable Spell Casting/Power Manifesting

Emparawr
2013-08-16, 04:55 PM
Okay so here's the deal. I'm going to be playing in a campaign where enchantment magic and telepathy powers are illegal, at least to some degree or another, and I am playing a character who is almost alllllll mind effecting powers and spells. Going to be a Psion Telepath 3/ Tatooed Sorcerer 3 / Diabolist 1 / Cerebremancer 2 / Thrallherd 1 / Body Snatcher 1 / Cerebremancer 3-10 / Loremaster 1. So lots and lots of multiclassing but the biggest point is that he is a master manipulator of minds living in a words where mind manipulation is illegal. Hence I need to do whatever I can to make his spell casting and power manifesting as undetectable as possible. As is most of my mind effecting abilities are going to be powers due the augmentation options and increased dc and I think most of them are only mental so there's no somatic or even verbal component but I have to admit my knowledge on this is rather limited.

My biggest goal is to not only have my enemies no be able to notice that Im casting a spell or manifesting a power, but also that they wont even realize that they have been effected at all if that is indeed possible. Anyways this is going to be a really really big deal in this campaign so I need to all the help I can get on this dilemma. Thanks in advance guys n gals.

Emparawr
2013-08-16, 04:57 PM
One small idea I had was to use the create sound level 0 cantrip to distract targets to get them to look away while I hit them with the actual enchantment spell or telepathy power. I'm not really so much worried about all this in combat situations because then who cares, but this is going to be a super super roleplaying heavy campaign so im going to be using my abilities in non combat situations ALOT.

Emparawr
2013-08-16, 10:22 PM
shameless bump in hope of help.

Psyren
2013-08-16, 10:23 PM
Is 3.5 stuff allowed? If not, you'll have a lot less options for hiding the magic so you'll be better off focusing on psionics for the actual manipulation, and using magic to turn yourself invisible and whatnot.

avr
2013-08-16, 10:38 PM
Modify Memory (spell) or Memory Modification (power) might be handy to clean up afterwards.

Emparawr
2013-08-16, 11:22 PM
ooooh just found a really interesting spell that I think might help hide my use of somatic components.

Illusion of Calm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/illusion-of-calm)

Emparawr
2013-08-17, 02:52 PM
now I need to find something to cover up the verbal components. Also what I'm really curious about is, if a creature has a spell cast on it and there are no outward signs from the caster such as a wave of the hand of a key phrase, then would the target actually know that it had had a spell cast upon it? I mean obviously if a wall of fire comes flying at the target its pretty damn obvious, but for enchantment spells in particular, but also illusions etc, would a target actually have any idea that anything had been done short of using Detect Magic and the like? Or for example, if a target was not aware of having an enchantment spell or telepathy power cast/maifested on them initially, would the spells effects on them make them aware of it? Or on another note, when the spell wears off would they be aware that they had been manipulated through magic/psionics? or would both simply be a matter of how that npcs mind is set up. Are there any actual rules for this kind of situation? I really need to know because with my primary way of going through this campaign being illegal in this world I really need to minimize my exposure when using it as much as possible. Thanks in advance guys.