PDA

View Full Version : Do any PRC's save the Wilder?

CyberThread
2013-08-17, 01:19 AM
I know the wilder is sort of a one trick pony, even more so then the sorc, but do any PRC's "save" it, from its own defects?

Flickerdart
2013-08-17, 01:34 AM
I know the wilder is sort of a one trick pony, even more so then the sorc, but do any PRC's "save" it, from its own defects?
Thrallherd is probably your best bet - CHA synergy, two bonus powers learned, full manifesting.

CyberThread
2013-08-17, 01:46 AM
Eh, even if going to it from the weak perspective of a wilder, that is likely to get a book thrown at you.

Hmm would the PRC from minds eye constructor, give much for a "summoner" wilder?

Tetsubo 57
2013-08-17, 04:05 AM
Have you looked at the Pathfinder psionics book from Dreamscarred Press, Psionics Unleashed? They retool all of the psionic classes.

Psyren
2013-08-17, 07:58 AM
Soul Manifester goes very well with Wilder - For instance, Psionic Investment stacks with Wild Surge and Incarnate gets you better armor proficiency to increase your Elude Touch benefit; Soulmelds can fill in for a lot of the powers known you're lacking, either directly (effects like flight from Airstep Sandals or DD through Dissolving Spittle) or indirectly (both UMD and UPD thanks to Mage's Spectacles and Psion's Eyes, plus high Cha.) Add in the Psycarnum feats and you have a match made in heaven

Flickerdart
2013-08-17, 10:29 AM
Eh, even if going to it from the weak perspective of a wilder, that is likely to get a book thrown at you.

Hmm would the PRC from minds eye constructor, give much for a "summoner" wilder?
Wilders make pretty good summoners in that regard, since the extra PP from Wild Surge lets you break into better constructs earlier.

Urpriest
2013-08-17, 12:39 PM
There are PrCs that syngergize well with Wilder, or that make the Wilder stronger, but there aren't any that give the volume of powers known that it would need to catch up. It can become better at Wilder-ing, but it won't be saved from its limitations. The one exception is using Thrallherd to have an Erudite cohort and manifest powers from its brain, but that's not really a function of the PrC.

JusticeZero
2013-08-17, 01:23 PM
Wilders still have issues with PRCs in the current PF environment, but Psi Unlimited had fixing it on the to do list. I have not yet seen said fix, but there is a lot in said work in progress that I have not yet seen.

J-H
2013-08-17, 02:11 PM
Slayer isn't bad if you can get into it. Wilders seem to be designed to work better as Gishes.

Ecalsneerg
2013-08-17, 02:40 PM
Slayer isn't bad if you can get into it. Wilders seem to be designed to work better as Gishes.

I concur entirely. They've slightly more HP than a Psion, start able to wear some armour, and have 3/4 BAB. Sure, even playing a Wilder as a gish-lite doesn't save it, but it's more efficient than trying to be a full caster.

Flickerdart
2013-08-17, 03:09 PM
Psions can wear padded or leather armor without suffering any drawbacks, since it's ACP 0.

Draz74
2013-08-17, 03:13 PM
The good news is that Wilders are pretty good even without a PrC, if you play them carefully and the rest of your party isn't high-op.

Wilders make pretty good summoners in that regard, since the extra PP from Wild Surge lets you break into better constructs earlier.
Wilders are indeed great at using the Astral Construct power, which is one of the most versatile powers and therefore helps them escape "one trick pony" status very nicely.

However, sadly, the Constructor PrC has prerequisites that are very costly for a Wilder to get into. Spending a couple of your precious Expanded Knowledge feats on weak situational powers is very painful.

Soul Manifester goes very well with Wilder - For instance, Psionic Investment stacks with Wild Surge and Incarnate gets you better armor proficiency to increase your Elude Touch benefit; Soulmelds can fill in for a lot of the powers known you're lacking, either directly (effects like flight from Airstep Sandals or DD through Dissolving Spittle) or indirectly (both UMD and UPD thanks to Mage's Spectacles and Psion's Eyes, plus high Cha.) Add in the Psycarnum feats and you have a match made in heaven

2-Level dip in Incarnate or Totemist, I assume? That's how I've done it, myself.

This build ends up EXTREMELY feat-hungry. Psionics and Incarnum are both systems that demand a lot of feat resources already, and when you add in Azure Talent (a prerequisite for the PrC), Psycarnum Infusion, and Midnight Metamagic, you could easily use double the number of feats you actually get.

Don't get me wrong, Soul Manifesters are still awesome, and I can see how they nicely complement a Wilder base in some ways ... but personally, I think I prefer building Soul Manifester onto a Psion base so that I can grab a couple Bonus Feats.

Psions can wear padded or leather armor without suffering any drawbacks, since it's ACP 0.

Yep, and at high levels, the optimal strategy is definitely to wear armor like this, loaded up with various useful enhancements (e.g. Soulfire, Freedom), while learning and using the Inertial Armor power to actually increase AC.

Psyren
2013-08-18, 10:28 AM
Don't get me wrong, Soul Manifesters are still awesome, and I can see how they nicely complement a Wilder base in some ways ... but personally, I think I prefer building Soul Manifester onto a Psion base so that I can grab a couple Bonus Feats.

Soul Manifesters go well with any of the psionic bases, even Psychic Rogue. As I've said before, Incarnum is the Guile's Theme of 3.5 :smallsmile:

I simply like them on Wilders because they get a lot of mileage out of Psion's Eyes/Mages Spectacles.

Venger
2013-08-18, 10:32 AM
Thrallherd is probably your best bet - CHA synergy, two bonus powers learned, full manifesting.
thrallherd is 8/10, losing a level at 1 and 10

anarchic initiate is a very popular choice for wilders. it's full manifesting (the only printed full manifesting class as a matter of fact) and boosts your wild surge.

seconding (or thirding) summoning as something wilders are good at.

Draz74
2013-08-18, 08:30 PM
anarchic initiate is a very popular choice for wilders. it's full manifesting (the only printed full manifesting class as a matter of fact) and boosts your wild surge.

Except, don't they actually have trouble qualifying for it without multiclassing? Without checking the book, I seem to remember that being one of the examples people use when they complain about the quality of CPsi.

Venger
2013-08-18, 08:44 PM
Except, don't they actually have trouble qualifying for it without multiclassing? Without checking the book, I seem to remember that being one of the examples people use when they complain about the quality of CPsi.

This is due to requiring 8 ranks in planes. this is avoidable with education, though it is kind of a pain in the ass.