Level: Blackguard 1, Assassin 2, Cleric 2, Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2, Deathbound 2,
Components: V, S, DF,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: Swordlike column of gnashing teeth
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

A 3-foot-long column of disembodied gnashing teeth springs forth from your hand, screaming and chanting with unholy vigor.
You make melee touch attacks with this blade of pain and fear.
The blade deals 1d6 points of damage +1 point per two caster levels (maximum +10).
Your Strength modifier does not apply to the damage.
A creature that you successfully deal damage to must also make a saving throw or become frightened.

My question: This basically summons a sword in your hand for a few minutes, and its attacks ignore armor. If someone leaves a threatened square while you're wielding this, do you get an attack of opportunity with it?

I ask because if they fail their fear save, they're going to be running, so using this spell will invariably lead to lots of attack of opportunity.

The Viscount
2013-08-17, 12:04 PM
I'd say yes for the AoO. I don't see a reason why not.

Deophaun
2013-08-17, 01:40 PM
I ask because if they fail their fear save, they're going to be running withdrawing.
Frightened isn't panicked. They will do what they can to get away from you, but that does not preclude them from doing so in a safe manner.

Jack_Simth
2013-08-17, 01:56 PM
Frightened isn't panicked. They will do what they can to get away from you, but that does not preclude them from doing so in a safe manner.

Correct, although because fear effects stack, if they fail multiple saves in a round (or if you stack some other fear effect on top) they are indeed panicked. Really, though, it's mostly an upgraded version of Flame Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameBlade.htm) - no energy type, so energy resistance/immunity doesn't apply; it also has a rider save-or-suck effect. It's got a mild drawback in that energy vulnerability doesn't apply, and that the damage can be negated by anyone with Mettle who makes the save... but neither of those is particularly common.

Randomocity132
2013-08-17, 08:07 PM
Correct, although because fear effects stack, if they fail multiple saves in a round (or if you stack some other fear effect on top) they are indeed panicked.

That's awesome.